[Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

[Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Cristian Consonni
Hi,

Julia Reda, a MEP (Member of the European Parliament) for the German
Pirate Party has released a report[1] regarding copyright in the EU
and demanding "an ambitious reform agenda for the overhaul of EU
copyright"[2].

A shorter version with the most important points is the press release:
[2] https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/

This work has followed the public consultation on copyright that many
people (and also associations, including some Wikimedia chapters) have
answered[3] in the past months.

From [1] you can also see the work of Dimitar Dimitrov and the Free
Knowledge Advocacy Group EU[4], and of other free knowledge
organisations in Europe as the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE)
and "La Quadrature du Net" from France.

Well done, Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU!

Cristian

[1]https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/report-eu-copyright-rules-maladapted-to-the-web/
[2] https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/
[3] https://juliareda.eu/2014/08/the-european-copyright-divide/
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EU_policy/Statement_of_Intent

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Cristian Consonni, 22/01/2015 02:29:
> A shorter version with the most important points is the press release:
> [2]https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/

There's also a short summary at
http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2015/01/breaking-news-pirate-party-mep-julia.html
And at https://www.discuto.io/en/consultation/6240 everyone can comment
and make proposals for the EU parliament committee.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Carcharoth
Hi all,

I'm new to this mailing list (mainly active on en-Wikipedia over the
past ten years or so), so apologies if this is not the right place to
ask this.

I've been catching up with posts to this mailing list since I started
subscribing back in December 2014, and this thread on proposed changes
to the EU copyright rules is one that I'd like to follow up on and
find out what progress has been made and what the Wikimedia movement
and individuals can do to help. I'd be particularly interested in
whether it might be possible for changes to be made to the Freedom of
Panorama restrictions, which is one of the things that would really
help with some of the topics I work on over at Commons (mainly images
of war memorials in France). If changes were possible, what sort of
timescale would we be looking at? Several years at least?

Carcharoth

On 1/22/15, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cristian Consonni, 22/01/2015 02:29:
>> A shorter version with the most important points is the press release:
>> [2]https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/
>
> There's also a short summary at
> http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2015/01/breaking-news-pirate-party-mep-julia.html
> And at https://www.discuto.io/en/consultation/6240 everyone can comment
> and make proposals for the EU parliament committee.
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Richard Symonds-3
I have replied to Carcharoth off-list :-)

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 3 March 2015 at 00:22, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list (mainly active on en-Wikipedia over the
> past ten years or so), so apologies if this is not the right place to
> ask this.
>
> I've been catching up with posts to this mailing list since I started
> subscribing back in December 2014, and this thread on proposed changes
> to the EU copyright rules is one that I'd like to follow up on and
> find out what progress has been made and what the Wikimedia movement
> and individuals can do to help. I'd be particularly interested in
> whether it might be possible for changes to be made to the Freedom of
> Panorama restrictions, which is one of the things that would really
> help with some of the topics I work on over at Commons (mainly images
> of war memorials in France). If changes were possible, what sort of
> timescale would we be looking at? Several years at least?
>
> Carcharoth
>
> On 1/22/15, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Cristian Consonni, 22/01/2015 02:29:
> >> A shorter version with the most important points is the press release:
> >> [2]https://juliareda.eu/2015/01/press-release-eu-copyright-report/
> >
> > There's also a short summary at
> >
> http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2015/01/breaking-news-pirate-party-mep-julia.html
> > And at https://www.discuto.io/en/consultation/6240 everyone can comment
> > and make proposals for the EU parliament committee.
> >
> > Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Strainu
> I have replied to Carcharoth off-list :-)

Why off-list? :)

Lacking a dedicated mailing list for keeping up with the work of our
lobbyists, Wikimedia-l sounds like the next best thing.

My2c,
  Strainu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Liam Wyatt
On Wednesday, 4 March 2015, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lacking a dedicated mailing list for keeping up with the work of our
> lobbyists, Wikimedia-l sounds like the next best thing.
>
> That would be the "advocacy advisors" list:

-Liam / Wittylama

--
wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] EU copyright rules are maladapted to the increase of cross-border cultural exchange on the web

Mathias Schindler-2
Greetings,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> That would be the "advocacy advisors" list:
>
> -Liam / Wittylama

I can strongly encourage anyone interested in that topic to join the
advocacy advisors list.

Additionally, I want to point out that MEP Julia Reda has send in a
submission for the 2015 Wikimania on this very topic.
https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Copyright_reform_in_the_EU_-_What_you_can_expect_to_happen

While the submission process is going its way, you might want to
bookmark it or put your ~~~~ in the "Interested attendees" part.

Mathias
--
Mathias SCHINDLER | Local Assistant
Bundestagsb├╝ro Julia REDA, MdEP