[Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

[Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Joseph Seddon-6
Hello All!

So originally we were going to send an update after the first two weeks but
with so much going on and following feedback, I'll cover as much as I can
in as brief a form as possible and more regularly than planned:

   -

   Banners limited: We have already begun limiting the number of times a
   reader will see a banner within a single browser if they choose to not
   dismiss the banners. For the moment, dismissing a banner or viewing a
   banner *up to 10 times* will result in the banners being suppressed for
   a period of 1 week.
   -

   Big messaging update [1]: We've been playing heavily with the ideas of
   “fake news” and “facts matter”. In addition for first time since 2013, we
   have returned to an appeal coming from a specific individual, in this case
   Jimmy. Much of the inspiration for both came from interviews Fundraising
   did with both Jimmy and Katherine back in October.
   -

   Big design update & in-line banners: We've moved away from the dark navy
   blue (seen as black by many people), which was considered by the community
   to be too mobid and foreboding, to a white background banner with red
   border. Following extensive testing we also moved to inline banners over
   the weekend replacing the top header banners.
   -

   Promising Numbers: Currently we believe that we have raised around
   $13,000,000 (accounting for payments to be cleared). This has been helped
   enormously by both gains found in our banner campaigns that is allowing us
   to keep pace with the decline of desktop, as well as a brilliantly
   performing e-mail campaign.
   -

   Awesome E-mail: November 30th 2016 saw our biggest day for email
   fundraising ~$950,000 (2016) vs ~$550,000 (2015) raised in a 24 hour period
   with approximately a similar number of e-mails.
   -

   Stable Tech: This year has been extremely stable from a technical
   standpoint compared to other years, with the most perplexing issue being an
   odd dip that occurred in our donations and traffic [2] on December 1st for
   one hour. This occurred during the quietest period in a day for 2 days but
   then appeared to stop. Low impact but naturally could be a bigger issue if
   the problem occurred during peak fundraising hours or was more prolonged,
   investigations continue.
   -

   Major gifts going great: Our major gifts team have been very busy, and
   have seen double the number of Major gifts donations during this period of
   the year compared with last year which means this page [3] getting a lot of
   updates recently.
   -

   A brilliant social media team: In short awesome work has been done by
   them but I will send a separate more detailed update on this :)

[1] -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1617_1117_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_template&force=1&country=US

[2] - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152122
[3] - https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors

--
Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Andreas Kolbe-2
People can follow progress of the fundraiser by loading the spreadsheet
files provided here:

https://frdata.wikimedia.org/

At the time of writing, the data in

yeardata-day-vs-sum.csv
<https://frdata.wikimedia.org/yeardata-day-vs-sum.csv> Total amount
received per day (not taking into account refunds)

indicate that you have received $15.8 million in donations since the
year-end campaign started on November 29. The advertised target of the
campaign is $25 million[1] – so after less than nine days, you are already
more than 60% there.

Are you planning to end the campaign once the publicised target is reached,
or will you go beyond the target as you did in the last two years?

[1]
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/29/wikimedia-foundation-annual-fundraiser/

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>    have seen double the number of Major gifts donations during this period
> of
>    the year compared with last year which means this page [3] getting a
> lot of
>    updates recently.
>    -
>
>    A brilliant social media team: In short awesome work has been done by
>    them but I will send a separate more detailed update on this :)
>

> [1] -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1617_
> 1117_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_template&force=1&country=US
>
> [2] - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152122
> [3] - https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors
>
> --
> Seddon
>
> *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> *Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Hey Andreas

A very quick email just noting I don't know the method by which that frdata
dump is created (its very old and not maintained) but it would seem that
numbers in the frdata dump are only useful as a rough guide.

We are basing our numbers on internal accounting figures which is more
representative of the actual cash flow since it is more closely based on
actual cleared payments.

Seddon

On 7 Dec 2016 13:36, "Andreas Kolbe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> period
> > of
> >    the year compared with last year which means this page [3] getting a
> > lot of
> >    updates recently.
> >    -
> >
> >    A brilliant social media team: In short awesome work has been done by
> >    them but I will send a separate more detailed update on this :)
> >

> > [1] -
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1617_
> > 1117_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_template&force=1&country=US
> >
> > [2] - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152122
> > [3] - https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors
> >
> > --
> > Seddon
> >
> > *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> > *Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Hi Seddon,

Okay, but I believe I am correct in saying that you took around $34 million
last December, even though the publicised[1] target was $25 million.

I am basing that on the monthly bar chart in the Wikimedia Foundation's
2015–2016 Fundraising Report.[2]*

In 2014, the publicised target was $20 million, and you reported[3] that
you surpassed that as well – by more than $10 million, according to the
frdata dump.

Given that this year you've taken well over half your target amount in
eight days, and are outperforming last year's campaign, I estimate you'll
end up with a total of around $40 million if you keep the campaign running
until the end of the year, i.e. $15 million more than the communicated
target.

Is that what you're intending to do, or will you end the campaign when the
targeted $25 million are in the bank?

Andreas

* I tried to include the chart for quick reference, but the mail that
included seems to have gotten stuck in the system. I guess pipermail
doesn't like graphics.

[1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/12/01/wikimedia-foundati
on-annual-campaign/
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2015-2016_Fundraising_Report
[3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/01/05/thank-you-for-keep
ing-knowledge-free-and-accessible/

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > period
> > > of
> > >    the year compared with last year which means this page [3] getting a
> > > lot of
> > >    updates recently.
> > >    -
> > >
> > >    A brilliant social media team: In short awesome work has been done
> by
> > >    them but I will send a separate more detailed update on this :)
> > >

> > > [1] -
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1617_
> > > 1117_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_template&force=1&country=US
> > >
> > > [2] - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152122
> > > [3] - https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors
> > >
> > > --
> > > Seddon
> > >
> > > *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> > > *Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Do you remember all this talk about an endowment fund? It makes sense to
get more money in it because without sufficient funds it is a paper tiger.

PS I prefer to have it funded by out contributors than by a few large
donations. (both are welcome).
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 7 December 2016 at 18:03, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> viewing
> suppressed
> > > for

> ideas
> > of
> > 2013,
> > this
> > > Fundraising

> dark
> > > navy
> > red
> banners
> > > over

> > > allowing

> hour

> > 1st
> > days
> > > issue

> > and
> > > period
> getting a

> > by

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

jmh649
I am of two opinions on this:

1) When we raise money we call upon the goodwill people have for the work
we do. We should raise sufficient funds to do the important work we do. We
need to save some for a rainy day, but we should never collect money just
for the sake of it. When we set appropriate fundraising goals and meet them
we should thank all involved and save people's remaining goodwill for the
future.

2) People do want to engage with us. Donating is often an easier commitment
than becoming an editor or volunteer programmer. We have 260 proposals,
most of which are excellent, for a community tech team with 6 members. This
is obviously more work than they can take on. More funds for this sort of
work is not a bad problem to have.

With a clear movement strategy I think these will be easier issues to
address. With Katherine at the helm I am confidence that we will soon have
such a strategy. Additionally our financial future looks solid. Many of
those entering the professional world have relied heavily on our work for
their education and as such they in a way view us as an alma mater
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_mater>.

Congrats to Lisa and her team for another amazing year of fundraising :-)
James

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > doesn't like graphics.
> >
> > [1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/12/01/wikimedia-foundati
> > on-annual-campaign/
> > [2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2015-2016_Fundraising_Report
> > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/01/05/thank-you-for-keep
> > ing-knowledge-free-and-accessible/
> >

> > On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hey Andreas
> > >
> > > A very quick email just noting I don't know the method by which that
> > frdata
> > > dump is created (its very old and not maintained) but it would seem
> that
> > > numbers in the frdata dump are only useful as a rough guide.
> > >
> > > We are basing our numbers on internal accounting figures which is more
> > > representative of the actual cash flow since it is more closely based

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Peter Southwood
Agreed.
 What could be done is to allow the fundraiser to continue after reaching the original goals with acknowledgement that the original goals have been met, and specifying what extended goals income could be used for. This happens all the time on kickstarter. It is open and ethically acceptable as everyone knows what is happening and can choose accordingly.
Cheers,
Peter

wrote:

> [...]
> brilliantly

> > hour

> technical
> issue
> December
> > > 1st
> 2
> > > days
> bigger

> busy,
> > > and
> > getting a

> done
> > > by

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> unsubscribe>
> > > e>

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

WereSpielChequers-2
Hi Seddon,

I can understand a few anomalies where people give when they don't have
funds to cover it, and for a difference between estimated exchange rates
and the actual exchange rate that applied when the transaction was
processed (currencies float and are quite capable of moving between the
moment you are aware of a donation and the moment it is converted into one
of the currencies you bank in).  But I'd expect such anomalies to be a tiny
fraction of a percent. OK one of these days we will have a record breaking
donation day in a currency that then devalues by half before we convert
that money into dollars, but I don't recall any spectacular devaluations in
the last two weeks.

Is it worth checking to see why these numbers in the frdata dump are only a
rough guide?

If its something as innocent as our estimates still working on say 2012
currency conversions and the actual currency conversions are based on the
day rate, then meh. But if one set of figures is gross before credit card
and other transaction costs and the other figures are net, or one set
assumed a UK Gift Aid sign up as high as Wikimedia UK could have got and
the reality was much lower, then  I'd be alarmed at such a difference.

Jonathan

> > > Hey Andreas
> > >
> > > A very quick email just noting I don't know the method by which
> > > that
> > frdata
> > > dump is created (its very old and not maintained) but it would
> > > seem
> that
> > > numbers in the frdata dump are only useful as a rough guide.
> > >
> > > We are basing our numbers on internal accounting figures which is
> > > more representative of the actual cash flow since it is more
> > > closely based
> on
> > > actual cleared payments.
> > >
> > > Seddon

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Joseph Seddon-6
It's mostly the fact that it's a low priority dump, isn't maintained
actively, some of the queries used to produce it are old and probably need
updating and some of them are definitely broken (the refund sheet certainly
is). It includes some major gifts donations (which we don't include in our
campaign target for online fundraising), but almost certainly not others.
So all in all it just needs an overhaul (the YTD sheet only includes
$59,000,000 for the last calendar year which is some $18,000,000 short.

Something to look into.

Seddon
On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM, WereSpielChequers <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Seddon,
>
> I can understand a few anomalies where people give when they don't have
> funds to cover it, and for a difference between estimated exchange rates
> and the actual exchange rate that applied when the transaction was
> processed (currencies float and are quite capable of moving between the
> moment you are aware of a donation and the moment it is converted into one
> of the currencies you bank in).  But I'd expect such anomalies to be a tiny
> fraction of a percent. OK one of these days we will have a record breaking
> donation day in a currency that then devalues by half before we convert
> that money into dollars, but I don't recall any spectacular devaluations in
> the last two weeks.
>
> Is it worth checking to see why these numbers in the frdata dump are only a
> rough guide?
>
> If its something as innocent as our estimates still working on say 2012
> currency conversions and the actual currency conversions are based on the
> day rate, then meh. But if one set of figures is gross before credit card
> and other transaction costs and the other figures are net, or one set
> assumed a UK Gift Aid sign up as high as Wikimedia UK could have got and
> the reality was much lower, then  I'd be alarmed at such a difference.
>
> Jonathan

> > > frdata
> > that

> > on

Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Info WorldUniversity
Dear Katherine and Wikimedians,

I'm not sure if this email will go through to this list or not, since I've
gotten some bounce backs, but I'm writing to let you know of a last minute
grant writing workshop in SF at Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's
office tomorrow at 11 am. I just emailed the following to the SF Quaker
Meeting (on 9th Street) list about this opportunity. (And World University
and School, of which I'm the founder, president and presiding clerk,
donated CC WUaS to CC Wikidata last October 2015).

Dear Friends,

Do you know anyone in SF Friends' Meeting who might be interested, at this
last minute, in a grant-writing workshop in Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's
office tomorrow morning at 11am? The workshop still has spaces available.
I'm seeking to write grants via Nancy's office for Friendly-informed World
University and School. (I'm heading to the Federal Building on 7th Street
from the SF Friends' Meeting House with Quakers for a 10am meeting there -
to join in a Quaker conversation beforehand.  For this 10 am Quaker
gathering, Friends are gathering at 9 am at SF FM, probably partly to get
into the Federal Building early to deal with their "Airport Security" per
Jocelyn Yow's email below, and possibly for Meeting as well. I'm leaving my
little Swiss Army pocket knife at home right now). If interested, you would
need to RSVP with Jocelyn Yow for this at [hidden email] soon.

Friendly greetings, Scott
worlduniversityandschool.org

- Scott

From *Jocelyn Yow*

Field Representative

*Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader*

Greetings,

Thank you for your RSVP for tomorrow’s grants workshop at 11a.m. at 90 7th
Street, San Francisco, California 94103  .

As a reminder, all visitors must present government-issued photo
identification, such as a valid state driver license, ID card or passport,
to gain access to the Federal Building. Entering the building is much like
airport security, and will require extra time. Arriving early is highly
recommended to allow for security procedures. The San Francisco Federal
Building is located one block south of the Civic Center/UN Plaza Muni and
BART Station http://www.bart.gov/stations/civc. The closest parking garage
is the SOMA Grand, 1160 Mission Street, at $2 an hour
http://www.yelp.com/biz/soma-grand-garage-san-francisco.

We still have spaces available. If you know anyone else who is interested
in attending, feel free to bring them along to the workshop.

Thanks,

*Jocelyn Yow*

Field Representative

*Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader*

90 – 7th Street, Ste 2-800, San Francisco, CA 94103

Tel (415) 556-4862 | Fax (415) 861-1670

www.pelosi.house.gov <http://www.house.gov/pelosi>

www.DemocraticLeader.gov <http://www.democraticleader.gov/>

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's mostly the fact that it's a low priority dump, isn't maintained
> actively, some of the queries used to produce it are old and probably need
> updating and some of them are definitely broken (the refund sheet certainly
> is). It includes some major gifts donations (which we don't include in our
> campaign target for online fundraising), but almost certainly not others.
> So all in all it just needs an overhaul (the YTD sheet only includes
> $59,000,000 for the last calendar year which is some $18,000,000 short.
>
> Something to look into.
>
> Seddon
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM, WereSpielChequers <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Seddon,
> >
> > I can understand a few anomalies where people give when they don't have
> > funds to cover it, and for a difference between estimated exchange rates
> > and the actual exchange rate that applied when the transaction was
> > processed (currencies float and are quite capable of moving between the
> > moment you are aware of a donation and the moment it is converted into
> one
> > of the currencies you bank in).  But I'd expect such anomalies to be a
> tiny
> > fraction of a percent. OK one of these days we will have a record
> breaking
> > donation day in a currency that then devalues by half before we convert
> > that money into dollars, but I don't recall any spectacular devaluations
> in
> > the last two weeks.
> >
> > Is it worth checking to see why these numbers in the frdata dump are
> only a
> > rough guide?
> >
> > If its something as innocent as our estimates still working on say 2012
> > currency conversions and the actual currency conversions are based on the
> > day rate, then meh. But if one set of figures is gross before credit card
> > and other transaction costs and the other figures are net, or one set
> > assumed a UK Gift Aid sign up as high as Wikimedia UK could have got and
> > the reality was much lower, then  I'd be alarmed at such a difference.
> >
> > Jonathan

> > > that

> > > on

> Seddon
>
> *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> *Wikimedia Foundation*

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President

- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577

- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516

- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

World University and School is sending you this because of your interest in
free, online, higher education. If you don't want to receive these, please
reply with 'unsubscribe' in the body of the email, leaving the subject line
intact. Thank you.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Joseph Seddon-6
There is naturally some flexibility as to when we stop and that's a
decision that will be looked at over the coming days and weeks. It's always
useful to give ourselves some breathing space for our Q3 and Q4 campaigns.
We also don't include major gifts donations in the total for our online
campaigns. This is one factor that increases the difference between the
December totals and the December goal for online fundraising. Last year we
also decided to use the online fundraiser to help seed the endowment which
added $5million to our to our fundraising for the December fundraiser.

Regards
Seddon

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> ideas
> > of
> > 2013,
> > this
> > > Fundraising

> dark
> > > navy
> > red
> banners
> > > over

> > > allowing

> hour

> > 1st
> > days
> > > issue

> > and
> > > period
> getting a

> > by

Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Early Update - Fundraising

Thanks, Seddon.

Jimmy Wales, in his inimitable style, was a little more definite on this
idea of stopping the fundraiser when the targeted amount of money is in the
bank.

Rich Farmbrough had asked,[1]

<startquotes>

Once upon a time, unless I imagined it, we used to run the annual
fund-raiser until we had reached the target then stop. We no longer do this.

Why then, does a banner come up saying "If we all donated £2 the
fund-raiser would be over in an hour?" [...]

[...] we want to see the Foundation properly funded. That desire cannot be
the reason, or the excuse, that every year we have morally dubious
fund-raising messages.

All the best: *Rich
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rich_Farmbrough> Farmbrough
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Rich_Farmbrough>*, 20:25, 1
December 2016 (UTC).
We would still stop the fundraiser if enough money were raised in shorter
than the planned time. So I don't see what your concern is about.--Jimbo
Wales <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jimbo_Wales> (talk
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#top>) 10:09, 2
December 2016 (UTC)
<endquotes>

Jimmy has good instincts when it comes to saying the right thing to defuse
criticism. But you have to *do* the right thing, too, to have any
credibility.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Peter Southwood <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What could be done is to allow the fundraiser to continue after reaching
> the original goals with acknowledgement that the original goals have been
> met, and specifying what extended goals income could be used for. This
> happens all the time on kickstarter. It is open and ethically acceptable as
> everyone knows what is happening and can choose accordingly.

I agree with Peter. This sounds like an excellent idea.

On the matter of last year's endowment: I thought that is why the target
was increased from $20 million (2014) to $25 million (2015). (The fiscal
plan specifically referred to $5 million for the endowment.[2]) Yet as
we've seen, the latter target was also substantially exceeded, by far more
than the 20% "stretch goal" mentioned in the fiscal plan. That looks
exactly like the approach Rich was criticising.

On the reliability of the frdata dumps: I take your point that the totals
on the frdata page are lower than the actual amounts taken. I'd assumed
this was because the frdata page only included small donations made through
the Wikimedia websites, and did not include major donations made directly
to WMF, such as the $1 million received from Craigslist founder Craig
Newmark. At any rate, the page is a good page to have (transparency in
action), and worth maintaining.

Regards,
Andreas

[1]