[Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

[Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Michal Lester
Hi all,

I’m excited to share with you our new interactive tool *teaching
encyclopedic writing*[1]. Encyclopedic writing differs from other kinds of
writing, such as academic, journalistic, or creative writing. In order to
learn how to contribute substantial content to Wikipedia, it is not enough
to learn the technicalities of using Wikipedia's interface, as taught by
the interactive educational software[2]. The Encyclopedic Writing Guide was
born of a need to instruct participants in our Educational projects, as
well as the general public, on the principles of encyclopedic writing, and
specifically those of Wikipedia. The guide is aimed at teaching the rules
and "best practices" that apply at various stages of contributing content
to Wikipedia: from choosing a topic for an article, to finding sources, to
structuring the article, and finally, the required writing style. The guide
thus teaches how to asses the encyclopedic importance of a topic, how to
find independent and reliable sources on that topic, how to structure the
information according to Wikipedia's article format, and how to produce
neutral and succinct writing.

The guide is built as a website. Users are invited to choose between two
tracks: a track for expanding existing articles and a track for writing new
ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools are
concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and the
users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information and
practical examples.

Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to use
Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to learn
how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
encyclopedic content.

Best,

*Michal Lester,*

*Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
[1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
[2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

metasj
How I needed this last week :) Are you looking for translations? Have any
in progress?

On Sep 25, 2017 12:14 PM, "Michal Lester" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m excited to share with you our new interactive tool *teaching
> encyclopedic writing*[1]. Encyclopedic writing differs from other kinds of
> writing, such as academic, journalistic, or creative writing. In order to
> learn how to contribute substantial content to Wikipedia, it is not enough
> to learn the technicalities of using Wikipedia's interface, as taught by
> the interactive educational software[2]. The Encyclopedic Writing Guide was
> born of a need to instruct participants in our Educational projects, as
> well as the general public, on the principles of encyclopedic writing, and
> specifically those of Wikipedia. The guide is aimed at teaching the rules
> and "best practices" that apply at various stages of contributing content
> to Wikipedia: from choosing a topic for an article, to finding sources, to
> structuring the article, and finally, the required writing style. The guide
> thus teaches how to asses the encyclopedic importance of a topic, how to
> find independent and reliable sources on that topic, how to structure the
> information according to Wikipedia's article format, and how to produce
> neutral and succinct writing.
>
> The guide is built as a website. Users are invited to choose between two
> tracks: a track for expanding existing articles and a track for writing new
> ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
> page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools are
> concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and the
> users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information and
> practical examples.
>
> Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to use
> Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to learn
> how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
> encyclopedic content.
>
> Best,
>
> *Michal Lester,*
>

> *Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
> [1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
> [2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Anna Torres-2
As always!!! Thanks you so much!!!!

We will review it and adapt it!!!

Hugs!!

> Hi all,
>
> I’m excited to share with you our new interactive tool *teaching
> encyclopedic writing*[1]. Encyclopedic writing differs from other kinds of
> writing, such as academic, journalistic, or creative writing. In order to
> learn how to contribute substantial content to Wikipedia, it is not enough
> to learn the technicalities of using Wikipedia's interface, as taught by
> the interactive educational software[2]. The Encyclopedic Writing Guide was
> born of a need to instruct participants in our Educational projects, as
> well as the general public, on the principles of encyclopedic writing, and
> specifically those of Wikipedia. The guide is aimed at teaching the rules
> and "best practices" that apply at various stages of contributing content
> to Wikipedia: from choosing a topic for an article, to finding sources, to
> structuring the article, and finally, the required writing style. The guide
> thus teaches how to asses the encyclopedic importance of a topic, how to
> find independent and reliable sources on that topic, how to structure the
> information according to Wikipedia's article format, and how to produce
> neutral and succinct writing.
>
> The guide is built as a website. Users are invited to choose between two
> tracks: a track for expanding existing articles and a track for writing new
> ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
> page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools are
> concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and the
> users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information and
> practical examples.
>
> Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to use
> Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to learn
> how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
> encyclopedic content.
>
> Best,
>
> *Michal Lester,*
>

> *Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
> [1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
> [2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

Anna Torres Adell
Directora Ejecutiva
*A.C. Wikimedia Argentina*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

FULBERT
This looks great; I can only wish it were in English!!

Perhaps it is and I missed a link for it? Sounds like a useful resource!!

-----

With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,

Jeffrey
User:FULBERT
[hidden email]

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Michal Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’m excited to share with you our new interactive tool *teaching
> encyclopedic writing*[1]. Encyclopedic writing differs from other kinds of
> writing, such as academic, journalistic, or creative writing. In order to
> learn how to contribute substantial content to Wikipedia, it is not enough
> to learn the technicalities of using Wikipedia's interface, as taught by
> the interactive educational software[2]. The Encyclopedic Writing Guide was
> born of a need to instruct participants in our Educational projects, as
> well as the general public, on the principles of encyclopedic writing, and
> specifically those of Wikipedia. The guide is aimed at teaching the rules
> and "best practices" that apply at various stages of contributing content
> to Wikipedia: from choosing a topic for an article, to finding sources, to
> structuring the article, and finally, the required writing style. The guide
> thus teaches how to asses the encyclopedic importance of a topic, how to
> find independent and reliable sources on that topic, how to structure the
> information according to Wikipedia's article format, and how to produce
> neutral and succinct writing.
>
> The guide is built as a website. Users are invited to choose between two
> tracks: a track for expanding existing articles and a track for writing new
> ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
> page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools are
> concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and the
> users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information and
> practical examples.
>
> Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to use
> Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to learn
> how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
> encyclopedic content.
>
> Best,
>
> *Michal Lester,*
>

> *Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
> [1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
> [2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Jean-Philippe Béland
This should have been posted to the Wikipedia mailing list since it doesn't
have anything to do with the other projects or the movement in general.

JP

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Anna Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As always!!! Thanks you so much!!!!
>
> We will review it and adapt it!!!
>
> Hugs!!

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’m excited to share with you our new interactive tool *teaching
> > encyclopedic writing*[1]. Encyclopedic writing differs from other kinds
> of
> > writing, such as academic, journalistic, or creative writing. In order to
> > learn how to contribute substantial content to Wikipedia, it is not
> enough
> > to learn the technicalities of using Wikipedia's interface, as taught by
> > the interactive educational software[2]. The Encyclopedic Writing Guide
> was
> > born of a need to instruct participants in our Educational projects, as
> > well as the general public, on the principles of encyclopedic writing,
> and
> > specifically those of Wikipedia. The guide is aimed at teaching the rules
> > and "best practices" that apply at various stages of contributing content
> > to Wikipedia: from choosing a topic for an article, to finding sources,
> > structuring the article, and finally, the required writing style. The
> guide
> > thus teaches how to asses the encyclopedic importance of a topic, how to
> > find independent and reliable sources on that topic, how to structure the
> > information according to Wikipedia's article format, and how to produce
> > neutral and succinct writing.
> >
> > The guide is built as a website. Users are invited to choose between two
> > tracks: a track for expanding existing articles and a track for writing
> new
> > ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
> > page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools
> are
> > concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and
> the
> > users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information
> and
> > practical examples.
> >
> > Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to
> use
> > Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to
> learn
> > how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> > Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
> > encyclopedic content.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > *Michal Lester,*
> >

> > *Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
> > [1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
> > [2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

> Anna Torres Adell
> Directora Ejecutiva
> *A.C. Wikimedia Argentina*

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec)  H2L 2P3,[hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Asaf Bartov-2
On Sep 25, 2017 18:57, "Jean-Philippe Béland" <[hidden email]> wrote:

This should have been posted to the Wikipedia mailing list since it doesn't
have anything to do with the other projects or the movement in general.

Um, no. This list is a general list, and content about Wikipedia,
*particularly* when not specific to any one language, is welcome here.

There is no active Wikipedia-only alternative to this list that would reach
this international audience.

    A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Tanweer Morshed
Hi Michal,

Thanks for the resource. Such a guide is indeed essential for producing
quality content in Wikipedia. But the website seems to be in Hebrew only,
is there an English version of the guide?

On Monday, September 25, 2017, FULBERT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> new
> > ones. In both tracks, each of the four stages is presented on a different
> > page, where the related information, tips, examples and practical tools
> are
> > concentrated. The information is presented in a basic concise form, and
> the
> > users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information
> and
> > practical examples.
> >
> > Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to
> use
> > Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to
> learn
> > how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> > Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Hi Tanweer,

At this stage, there is no English version for this guide, but for personal
use in order to understand more about it and its structure, you can try
using Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=iw&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fguide.wikimedia.org.il%2F&edit-text=

*Regards,Itzik Edri*
Chairperson, Wikimedia Israel
+972-54-5878078 | http://www.wikimedia.org.il
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment!

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > users are invited to open links and pop-ups to obtain more information
> > and
> > > practical examples.
> > >
> > > Editing Wikipedia is not just a technical skill. While learning how to
> > use
> > > Wikipedia's interface is necessary, it is not sufficient in order to
> > learn
> > > how to contribute substantial content to the platform. The Encyclopedic
> > > Writing Guide is the first tool of its kind teaching how to create
> > > encyclopedic content.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > *Michal Lester,*
> > >

> > > *Executive DirectorWikimedia Israel*
> > > [1] https://guide.wikimedia.org.il/
> > > [2] http://www.wikimedia.org.il/%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9E%D7%93%D7%94/

> Regards,
> Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Encyclopedic Writing Guide

So what is Wikipedia-l
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l> for? It is
describe "for issues specific to Wikipedia (and not sister projects such as
Wiktionary) but affecting editions of Wikipedia in more than one language".
Exactly what you are talking about "content about Wikipedia,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2017 18:57, "Jean-Philippe Béland" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> This should have been posted to the Wikipedia mailing list since it doesn't
> have anything to do with the other projects or the movement in general.
>

> Um, no. This list is a general list, and content about Wikipedia,
> *particularly* when not specific to any one language, is welcome here.
>
> There is no active Wikipedia-only alternative to this list that would reach
> this international audience.
>
>     A.

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec)  H2L 2P3,[hidden email]

[Wikimedia-l] Mailing lists (was Encyclopedic Writing Guide)

Michael Snow-5
On 9/26/2017 6:34 AM, Jean-Philippe Béland wrote:
> So what is Wikipedia-l
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l> for? It is
> describe "for issues specific to Wikipedia (and not sister projects such as
> Wiktionary) but affecting editions of Wikipedia in more than one language".
> Exactly what you are talking about "content about Wikipedia,
> *particularly* when not specific to any one language"...
In terms of the original design, you are correct that wikipedia-l was
intended for this. However, if I may attempt to restate Asaf's point,
that list has no meaningful activity, and it is counterproductive to
insist that people use it when this list can serve the purpose.
Initiating a productive conversation on this list is already work
enough, we should not multiply the effort needed by requiring that
someone also revive a comatose mailing list.

That being said, if someone else wanted to take on the second task
(reviving wikipedia-l) and forwarded this message there, or started a
parallel conversation, I don't think that would be particularly
problematic. But as this situation indicates, there is a challenge
involved in determining how to use our multiplicity of lists with
adjacent and potentially overlapping topic areas. I suspect the activity
patterns into which we have drifted should tell us something about the
optimum configuration of lists and topics, in the same way that say,
Wikiversity languishing while Wikidata flourishes should tell us
something about the optimum number of projects we can support.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Mailing lists (was Encyclopedic Writing Guide)

Jean-Philippe Béland
Alors nous induisons les lecteurs/trices en erreur avec des pages comme
celle-ci :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mailing_lists#Public_mailing_lists

JP

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Michael Snow <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 9/26/2017 6:34 AM, Jean-Philippe Béland wrote:
>
>> So what is Wikipedia-l
>> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l> for? It is
>> describe "for issues specific to Wikipedia (and not sister projects such
>> as
>> Wiktionary) but affecting editions of Wikipedia in more than one
>> language".
>> Exactly what you are talking about "content about Wikipedia,
>> *particularly* when not specific to any one language"...
>>
> In terms of the original design, you are correct that wikipedia-l was
> intended for this. However, if I may attempt to restate Asaf's point, that
> list has no meaningful activity, and it is counterproductive to insist that
> people use it when this list can serve the purpose. Initiating a productive
> conversation on this list is already work enough, we should not multiply
> the effort needed by requiring that someone also revive a comatose mailing
> list.
>
> That being said, if someone else wanted to take on the second task
> (reviving wikipedia-l) and forwarded this message there, or started a
> parallel conversation, I don't think that would be particularly
> problematic. But as this situation indicates, there is a challenge involved
> in determining how to use our multiplicity of lists with adjacent and
> potentially overlapping topic areas. I suspect the activity patterns into
> which we have drifted should tell us something about the optimum
> configuration of lists and topics, in the same way that say, Wikiversity
> languishing while Wikidata flourishes should tell us something about the
> optimum number of projects we can support.
>
> --Michael Snow

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec)  H2L 2P3,[hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Mailing lists (was Encyclopedic Writing Guide)

metasj
in the same way that say, Wikiversity languishing while Wikidata flourishes
should tell us something about the optimum number of projects we can
support.

Did we figure out this is zero-sum? Because there are some peach projects
I'd like to replace Wikiquote & Wookiepedia with.

\\S

On 9/26/2017 8:22 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:
> in the same way that say, Wikiversity languishing while Wikidata flourishes
> should tell us something about the optimum number of projects we can
> support.
>

> Did we figure out this is zero-sum? Because there are some peach projects
> I'd like to replace Wikiquote & Wookiepedia with.
Perhaps I shouldn't have simplified it to "number" with the implication
that there's some magic figure, whether that's 42 or 150 or 65536. But
as with the mailing lists, sometimes it is hard to be sure that each
project has the appropriate scope when the boundaries are fluid. How and
where the community focuses its attention can be a powerful signal about
whether the scope corresponds to a widely felt need.

On 9/26/2017 7:57 AM, Jean-Philippe Béland wrote:
> Alors nous induisons les lecteurs/trices en erreur avec des pages comme
> celle-ci :
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mailing_lists#Public_mailing_lists
>
> JP
Oui, c'est bien possible qu'on a des informations dépassé.

--Michel Neige

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Mailing lists (was Encyclopedic Writing Guide)

Asaf Bartov-2
Now {{fixed}}.

   A.