[Wikimedia-l] Events and editathons with journalists

[Wikimedia-l] Events and editathons with journalists

Andrea Zanni-2
Dear all,
I was wondering if anyone, in the Wikimedia movement,
has done editathons and wiki-events with *journalists*.
In April, Wikimedia Italia will host a workshop at the International
Journalism Festival, and we'd welcome tips and suggestions.

Cheers

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Events and editathons with journalists

Winifred Olliff
Hello, Andrea:

This sounds like an interesting project!

Here are some examples that popped into my head right away:
*CIS (is planning a workshop for journalists as part of Kannada language
outreach)
*Wikimedia CH (did some work building a network of journalism schools)
*Wikimedia Argentina (did at least one workshop for journalists back in
2012 in Rosario City)
*Wikimedia Deutschland (did at least one workshop back in 2013 with
journalists from ZDF Berlin)
*The Malayalam community did a workshop for journalists as part of the
events leading up to their community's 2013 conference

Not sure if everyone I've listed is working on this currently, but these
groups may have some experience to share. And there must be others I
haven't listed here! Seems like a good opportunity to share some learning
patterns on this topic, since I haven't found much there about working with
journalists! :)  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Learning_patterns

Cheers and best of luck with your project! We look forward to the results.

Winifred

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> I was wondering if anyone, in the Wikimedia movement,
> has done editathons and wiki-events with *journalists*.
> In April, Wikimedia Italia will host a workshop at the International
> Journalism Festival, and we'd welcome tips and suggestions.
>
> Cheers
>
> Aubrey

Winifred Olliff
Program Officer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Events and editathons with journalists

Balázs Viczián
Wikimedia Hungary did a workshop as well with sport journalists.

What we learnt is to keep it simple (teaching the basics is enough) and
brake it into multiple rounds (we broke it into two rounds - not enough)
and make it interactive (edit together from the first to the last sec).

Hope I helped a bit :)

Balázs
2015.02.27. 0:42, "Winifred Olliff" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:

> Hello, Andrea:
>
> This sounds like an interesting project!
>
> Here are some examples that popped into my head right away:
> *CIS (is planning a workshop for journalists as part of Kannada language
> outreach)
> *Wikimedia CH (did some work building a network of journalism schools)
> *Wikimedia Argentina (did at least one workshop for journalists back in
> 2012 in Rosario City)
> *Wikimedia Deutschland (did at least one workshop back in 2013 with
> journalists from ZDF Berlin)
> *The Malayalam community did a workshop for journalists as part of the
> events leading up to their community's 2013 conference
>
> Not sure if everyone I've listed is working on this currently, but these
> groups may have some experience to share. And there must be others I
> haven't listed here! Seems like a good opportunity to share some learning
> patterns on this topic, since I haven't found much there about working with
> journalists! :)  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Learning_patterns
>
> Cheers and best of luck with your project! We look forward to the results.
>
> Winifred
>

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > I was wondering if anyone, in the Wikimedia movement,
> > has done editathons and wiki-events with *journalists*.
> > In April, Wikimedia Italia will host a workshop at the International
> > Journalism Festival, and we'd welcome tips and suggestions.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Aubrey

> Winifred Olliff
> Program Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Events and editathons with journalists

David Parreño Mont
Hi,

In Barcelona this March we'll host an editathon with journalists too. It
will be in the headquarters of Catalunya Radio with the purpose to improve
the article of the prominent journalist Ramon Barnils
<https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramon_Barnils>, one of the founders of
Catalunya Radio, the public radio service in Catalonia. It will be the day
of the death of this journalist, and also the day of birth of Catalan
Wikipedia :)

All along the day the radio programs will connect in live with us to cover
how the editathon is going, to explain the history of Wikipedia, and it
will push our challenge to achieve 500k articles this year.

We'll have soon the article translated into English, so I invite you to
help us translating the article in your own language ;)

Apart from that, Amical also do workshops to digital journalism students at
Ramon Llull University.

David Parreño Mont
www.davidparreno.cat