[Wikimedia-l] Evidence supporting my statements

[Wikimedia-l] Evidence supporting my statements

jmh649
Following the recent statements by JW on his talk page I am planning to
publish my email to the board from Oct 7, 2015. I have given the board some
time to redact anything they feel is confidential. I have also requested
they send me information of what statute, bylaw, or board handbook item
they feel would make details, if any, confidential.

Additionally I do not see anything in Jimmy’s 12/30 email that should be
confidential, and since I was not a Trustee at the time he sent it, clearly
he did not consider it highly confidential either. But I prefer not to
publish it without his consent, and I have no plans to do so.

I hope for a reply from the board by Feb 8 and plan to release the email on
Feb 15th.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Evidence supporting my statements

Fæ
James, I agree you have little choice but to publish the facts in the
light of Jimmy Wales' abysmal behaviour.

For those that do not watch Wales' user talk page, yesterday evening he posted:
"James has made a lot of noise about why he was dismissed which is
utter and complete bullshit. He wrote a nice piece for the Signpost
about transparency which implied that the board got rid of him for
wanting more transparency. Utter fucking bullshit." [1]

The WMF board of trustees has reached an all time low when one of
their members is free to show leadership for our community by behaving
like an angry teenage bully.

Patricio, please be seen to put your house in order today, not in a
vague future world. If you have no authority to put a stop to this
uncivilized fat-headed behaviour or your board is stuck in paralysed
through over analysis and PR/legal advisors, then step down as chair
and put your weight behind a public call for the independent
governance review that everyone else but the trustees can see is
needed.

The vote of no confidence is today at 221 support votes to 17 opposed
for Geshuri to be leave the board, and the comments on that page
capture how terribly badly the board of trustees is perceived by the
majority of the community.[2]

Links:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=701673700&oldid=701673178
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Vote_of_no_confidence_on_Arnnon_Geshuri

Thanks,
Fae

On 26 January 2016 at 07:57, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following the recent statements by JW on his talk page I am planning to
> publish my email to the board from Oct 7, 2015. I have given the board some
> time to redact anything they feel is confidential. I have also requested
> they send me information of what statute, bylaw, or board handbook item
> they feel would make details, if any, confidential.
>
> Additionally I do not see anything in Jimmy’s 12/30 email that should be
> confidential, and since I was not a Trustee at the time he sent it, clearly
> he did not consider it highly confidential either. But I prefer not to
> publish it without his consent, and I have no plans to do so.
>
> I hope for a reply from the board by Feb 8 and plan to release the email on
> Feb 15th.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Evidence supporting my statements

Tobias
On 01/26/2016 09:39 AM, Fæ wrote:
> For those that do not watch Wales' user talk page, yesterday evening he posted:
> "James has made a lot of noise about why he was dismissed which is
> utter and complete bullshit. He wrote a nice piece for the Signpost
> about transparency which implied that the board got rid of him for
> wanting more transparency. Utter fucking bullshit." [1]

Curious... my thinking so far was that the Board's silence was
due to an effort to produce a coordinated, common and diplomatic
response to the criticism.
While I applaud that individual members are starting to engange in the
discussion, it is pretty clear at this point, that it is too late for
any coordinated and diplomatic response by the board that is helpful in
resolving the conflict.

The board seems entirely paralyzed, and this is a major problem for our
movement.

Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Evidence supporting my statements

Kevin Gorman
It's...disturbing that this is necessary.  Bad things are going to happen
to the Wikimedia movement - or at least the Wikimedia Foundation -if the
Board doesn't get it together.  Bringing Arnnon on was a severe failure in
due diligence and the fact that failing to respond promptly starting to
look like paralysis rather than behind the scenes coordination is just
bad.  Removing a trustee who is a highly active and trusted community
member should only ever be done if absolutely necessary, and should be
followed up with prompt and transparent reasoning, not the mix of
falsehoods and bullshit that have accounted for a sizeable portion of what
anyone on Board has said publicly.

Jimmy, you should be embarrassed at that comment, and you should also
remember that your fame is contingent on the continued success of the
Wikimedia Foundation.  If that success is sabotaged by your behavior, I'm
sure you're still score some speaking fees, and I'm sure your stake in
Wikia is worth something, but you dont have the 500m cushion to either fall
back and rest on your laurels, use to reset yourself, or use to good (I
can't be the only person who is encouraging everyone who asks for a
suggestion at the moment to donate to the Internet Archive - which is still
primarily funded out of Brewster's Alexa fortune - over WMF.)

Other board members: fiduciary duties really isn't just a catchphrase and I
would highly encourage to consult outside counsel if you disagree with what
the board is up to and have questions about the scope of your obligations
and abilities.

----
Kevin Gorman