[Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

[Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Wes Moran
Hello Wikimedia community,

It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to expedite
development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over the
course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
describing the media files on Commons.

This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders, and
external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can be
involved in the development.

We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope, available
on Commons
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant>
[2]. A blog post about the grant is also available on the Wikimedia blog
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data>
[3].

We are currently in the process of identifying the technical lead for the
project. If you have questions, Alex Stinson, the Foundation’s GLAM-Wiki
strategist, will be leading the community engagement and communications for
the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.

We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to your
participation in its development.

Thank you,

Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis

*Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
*Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
*Wikimedia Foundation*

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
[2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant
[3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Andrea Zanni-2
This is great news.
Very excited for the future :-)

Thanks!

Aubrey

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Wes Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Wikimedia community,
>
> It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
> the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to expedite
> development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over the
> course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
> collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
> focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
> describing the media files on Commons.
>
> This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
> development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
> Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
> stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders, and
> external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can be
> involved in the development.
>
> We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope, available
> on Commons
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant>
> [2]. A blog post about the grant is also available on the Wikimedia blog
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data>
> [3].
>
> We are currently in the process of identifying the technical lead for the
> project. If you have questions, Alex Stinson, the Foundation’s GLAM-Wiki
> strategist, will be leading the community engagement and communications for
> the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
> tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
>
> We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to your
> participation in its development.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
>
> *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> *Wikimedia Foundation*
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant
> [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Tanweer Morshed
This is indeed a great opportunity to develop structured environment in
Commons as well as its allied projects!

Regards,
Tanweer

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 1:49 AM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is great news.
> Very excited for the future :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Aubrey
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Wes Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Wikimedia community,
> >
> > It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
> > the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to
> expedite
> > development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over
> the
> > course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
> > collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
> > focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
> > describing the media files on Commons.
> >
> > This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
> > development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
> > Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
> > stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders,
> and
> > external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can
> be
> > involved in the development.
> >
> > We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope,
> available
> > on Commons
> > <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant>
> > [2]. A blog post about the grant is also available on the Wikimedia blog
> > <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data>
> > [3].
> >
> > We are currently in the process of identifying the technical lead for the
> > project. If you have questions, Alex Stinson, the Foundation’s GLAM-Wiki
> > strategist, will be leading the community engagement and communications
> for
> > the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
> > tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
> >
> > We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to
> your
> > participation in its development.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
> >
> > *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> > *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> > *Wikimedia Foundation*
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> > [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/
> Sloan_Grant
> > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-
> structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Pete Forsyth-2
Structured data on Commons is a huge and important area -- for one thing,
the whole Media Viewer project would have gone much more smoothly if there
were underlying structured data to rely on. Kudos to WMF and Sloan for the
focus on this issue!

If I'm not mistaken, this is by far the most extravagant restricted grant
in the history of the WMF. I believe the Stanton Foundation's usability
grant ($890k in 2008)[1] and Public Policy Initiative grant ($1.2 million
in 2010)[2] are the only ones that comes close. In the past, WMF board
members have expressed great skepticism about -- specifically -- the Sloan
Foundation's influence, when it sought to place an observer in WMF board
meetings. A former WMF Executive Director has written at length about the
dangers of restricted grants.

It appears there is a new theory in play around restricted grants. Will
somebody be expressing it publicly? Will the past practice of publishing
the details of the grant expectations be followed?[3]

-Pete
--
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/12/03/improved-usability-in-our-future/
[2]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/May_2010_Wikimedia_Foundation_will_engage_academic_experts_and_students_to_improve_public_policy_information
[3]
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_Initiative_project_details

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Wes Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Wikimedia community,
>
> It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
> the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to expedite
> development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over the
> course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
> collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
> focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
> describing the media files on Commons.
>
> This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
> development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
> Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
> stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders, and
> external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can be
> involved in the development.
>
> We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope, available
> on Commons
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant>
> [2]. A blog post about the grant is also available on the Wikimedia blog
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data>
> [3].
>
> We are currently in the process of identifying the technical lead for the
> project. If you have questions, Alex Stinson, the Foundation’s GLAM-Wiki
> strategist, will be leading the community engagement and communications for
> the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
> tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
>
> We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to your
> participation in its development.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
>
> *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> *Wikimedia Foundation*
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant
> [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Maybe restricted but the subject matter is exactly what we want anyway.
Where I have my reservations is that Wikidata will be set in stone and
stuff that just is not right will be with us for forever. With more money
it does not need to be a huge problem because it makes it more manageable.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 9 January 2017 at 21:52, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> for
> > the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
> > tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
> >
> > We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to
> your
> > participation in its development.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
> >
> > *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> > *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> > *Wikimedia Foundation*
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> > [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/
> Sloan_Grant
> > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-
> structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Lisa Gruwell
Hi Pete and Gerard-

I just wanted to give my thoughts on restricted gifts.  Like most things,
there are both good and bad restricted gifts.  They can be bad if a funder
is making a well-intentioned gift that none-the-less pulls the organization
in direction that they were not planning to go.  Or even worse, when a
funder pays for something outside of an org's plans that has ongoing
maintenance cost that are not covered in the grant.

This is why the WMF board reviews all restricted grants per our gift policy
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Gift_policy>.  Those are the types of
dynamics that the board considers when they review a restricted grant.

Structured Data on Commons was in our product roadmap, so this grant is not
diverting our attention.  The grant simply enables us to accelerate the
work we were planning to do.  In terms of restrictions, we have to follow
through with the plan we submitted.  In other words, do what we said we are
going to do.  I think that accountability is a good thing.  And the Sloan
Foundation is a great long-term funder of WMF.  If something changes as the
work progress, I have no doubt we could have a reasonable conversation with
them about adjusting the plan.

Best,
Lisa

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant.
> Stay
> > > tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
> > >
> > > We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to
> > your
> > > participation in its development.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
> > >
> > > *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> > > *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> > > *Wikimedia Foundation*
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> > > [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/
> > Sloan_Grant
> > > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-
> > structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Denny Vrandečić-2
Also, to add, for this particular grant I can really only look positively
at the openness surrounding the writing of the grant. There have been
emails on this list inviting input and discussion when the grant proposal
was underway, a lot of content was available on-wiki, and an effort was
made to ensure that the project was not only aligned with the planning of
the Foundation but also with the community - which is indeed particularly
important given the restricted nature of the funding.

I congratulate everyone involved for securing this grant, for the process
with its improved transparency, and I am very much looking forward to see
the project implemented!

Denny

wrote:

> [...]

> > > the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant.
> Stay
> > > tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
> > >
> > > We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to
> > your
> > > participation in its development.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
> > >
> > > *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> > > *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> > > *Wikimedia Foundation*
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> > > [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/
> > Sloan_Grant
> > > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-
> > structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

metasj
Thanks Wes and Lisa, this is really wonderful news.  Just the sort of area
where Commons can and should point the way forward for all the world's
archives.

And thanks to Sloan for the support and  Commonists for maintaining one of
the quiet, consistent wonders of theodern Web.

Sam

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Gnangarra
This is great news and look forward to seeing some good outcomes.

I have a concern around the use of language as most people english a very
dynamic language and what can hav eone meaning in one place doesnt
necessarily hold true for everywhere simple uses like monuments when
translated differs.   I would like to see caution taken to ensure the
uniqueness of each locations use of isnt lost due a great scheme being
fixed to one specific language use and spelling. As contributors we have
already experienced that on en:WP with the standardisation of info boxes
where local varients have been lost.

As Wikimedia community influence on language and connectivity grows, and is
strengthened by projects like WikiData we have to allow greater
consideration into the moral, cultural, and linguistic impact we are having
on communities and languages its potentially no longer just a technical
advancement that we are leading.

On 10 January 2017 at 07:12, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Wes and Lisa, this is really wonderful news.  Just the sort of area
> where Commons can and should point the way forward for all the world's
> archives.
>
> And thanks to Sloan for the support and  Commonists for maintaining one of
> the quiet, consistent wonders of theodern Web.
>
> Sam

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Alessandro Marchetti
it was time. Good luck.

    Il Martedì 10 Gennaio 2017 4:59, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

 This is great news and look forward to seeing some good outcomes.

I have a concern around the use of language as most people english a very
dynamic language and what can hav eone meaning in one place doesnt
necessarily hold true for everywhere simple uses like monuments when
translated differs.  I would like to see caution taken to ensure the
uniqueness of each locations use of isnt lost due a great scheme being
fixed to one specific language use and spelling. As contributors we have
already experienced that on en:WP with the standardisation of info boxes
where local varients have been lost.

As Wikimedia community influence on language and connectivity grows, and is
strengthened by projects like WikiData we have to allow greater
consideration into the moral, cultural, and linguistic impact we are having
on communities and languages its potentially no longer just a technical
advancement that we are leading.

On 10 January 2017 at 07:12, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Wes and Lisa, this is really wonderful news.  Just the sort of area
> where Commons can and should point the way forward for all the world's
> archives.
>
> And thanks to Sloan for the support and  Commonists for maintaining one of
> the quiet, consistent wonders of theodern Web.
>
> Sam

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
You are right that this will be a concern. There are people that insist
that Wikipedia is the fount of all wisdom and that its labels are "correct"
even for Wikidata. When you observe Wikidata for as long as I do, I find
that many of what some people elevate to collective wisdom is faulty at
best. It makes your concern worse.

Technically there are two decisions that are detrimental to what we have.
One is that labels are "simple by design". The problem is that when labels
change as they often do, it is not possible to account for it. The other
thing is that while we need descriptions, the descriptions we have are
worse in quality than automated descriptions. Automated descriptions work
in any language and are updated based on the availability of statements.
Automated descriptions exist for over three years and when I need to
disambiguate in Wikidata I add labels and as a result I have my
disambiguation.

My point is that these concerns are not entertained. We are stuck with
decisions past that will haunt us as we move on. It is easy to have the
current automated and manual descriptions side by side and with Wiktionary
to be a next project it is worthwhile to consider that any and all labels
in Wikidata need at least conjugation.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 10 January 2017 at 04:58, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is great news and look forward to seeing some good outcomes.
>
> I have a concern around the use of language as most people english a very
> dynamic language and what can hav eone meaning in one place doesnt
> necessarily hold true for everywhere simple uses like monuments when
> translated differs.   I would like to see caution taken to ensure the
> uniqueness of each locations use of isnt lost due a great scheme being
> fixed to one specific language use and spelling. As contributors we have
> already experienced that on en:WP with the standardisation of info boxes
> where local varients have been lost.
>
> As Wikimedia community influence on language and connectivity grows, and is
> strengthened by projects like WikiData we have to allow greater
> consideration into the moral, cultural, and linguistic impact we are having
> on communities and languages its potentially no longer just a technical
> advancement that we are leading.
>
> On 10 January 2017 at 07:12, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Wes and Lisa, this is really wonderful news.  Just the sort of
> area
> > where Commons can and should point the way forward for all the world's
> > archives.
> >
> > And thanks to Sloan for the support and  Commonists for maintaining one
> of
> > the quiet, consistent wonders of theodern Web.
> >
> > Sam

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Florence Devouard-6
Wow ! Awesome !

Florence

Le 09/01/2017 à 20:48, Wes Moran a écrit :

> Hello Wikimedia community,
>
> It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
> the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to expedite
> development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over the
> course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
> collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
> focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
> describing the media files on Commons.
>
> This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
> development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
> Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
> stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders, and
> external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can be
> involved in the development.
>
> We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope, available
> on Commons
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant>
> [2]. A blog post about the grant is also available on the Wikimedia blog
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data>
> [3].
>
> We are currently in the process of identifying the technical lead for the
> project. If you have questions, Alex Stinson, the Foundation’s GLAM-Wiki
> strategist, will be leading the community engagement and communications for
> the project until we hire a community liaison as part of the grant. Stay
> tuned for more details about the project in the coming months.
>
> We’re excited to be able to support this project, and look forward to your
> participation in its development.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Wes Moran and Maggie Dennis
>
> *Wes Moran, Vice President of Product*
> *Maggie Dennis, Interim Chief of Community Engagement *
> *Wikimedia Foundation*
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant
> [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Rogol Domedonfors
Lisa

You say that "Structured Data on Commons was in our product roadmap, so
this grant is not diverting our attention.  The grant simply enables us to
accelerate the work we were planning to do".  Please would you publish, or
point to, a version of that product roadmap that can inform the community's
participation in such planning exercises as the 2017 Wikimedia Movement
Strategy and other more tactical product planning processes.

Thanks in advance
"Rogol"

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:01 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > from
> > > expedite
> over
> > > the
> can

> leaders,
> > > and
> can
> > > be

> > > available
> > data/Sloan_Grant>
> > blog
> > structured-data>

> > the
> > GLAM-Wiki
> communications
> > > for
> > Stay

> > > your

> > > Sloan_Grant
> > > structured-data

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Rogol,

this was the link previously provided on this project:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Overview including
links to previous documents.

Cheers,
Denny

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> board
> > > Sloan
> > board
> > the

> Will
> > publishing

> grant
> > > from
> > over
> > can

> Wikimedia
> > leaders,
> > can

> > > data/Sloan_Grant>
> > > blog
> > > structured-data>

> for
> > > the
> > > GLAM-Wiki
> > communications
> > > Stay

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Thank you but the link you provide appears to be to be "Our high-level
roadmap for developing the project", namely the Structured Data in Commons
project.  Since Lisa wrote "Structured Data on Commons was in our product
roadmap" I was referring to the product roadmap on which the Structured
Data in Commons project is included -- that is, I was asking for a pointer
to the roadmap for "features both on the Wikidata development roadmap, and
in other products supported by the Wikimedia Foundation" referred to in Wes
Moran's initial post on this topic:

But I appreciate the speed of your reply.

"Rogol"

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > board
> about
> > > the

> > Will
> > > publishing

> > grant
> given
> > > over
> that
> > > can
> into

> > Wikimedia
> movement
> > > leaders,
> GLAMs,
> > > can

> Wikimedia

> > for
> > > communications
> grant.

> forward

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Lydia Pintscher
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Rogol Domedonfors
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Denny
>
> Thank you but the link you provide appears to be to be "Our high-level
> roadmap for developing the project", namely the Structured Data in Commons
> project.  Since Lisa wrote "Structured Data on Commons was in our product
> roadmap" I was referring to the product roadmap on which the Structured
> Data in Commons project is included -- that is, I was asking for a pointer
> to the roadmap for "features both on the Wikidata development roadmap, and
> in other products supported by the Wikimedia Foundation" referred to in Wes
> Moran's initial post on this topic:
>
> But I appreciate the speed of your reply.

For Wikidata please see
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Development_plan  (I really
need to update this page...)

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Denny Vrandečić-2
Hi Rogol,

that is why I pointed you to the links in that document, which go all the
way back to 2004 discussions of such a project, and further discussions
over the years. These pretty much establish for me that this item has been
a topic for commons for more than a decade now. But it seems I am
misunderstanding you, and you are not looking for a documentation of the
shared understanding of the roadmap for Commons and other Wikimedia
products, but for a singular Foundation-written document that fixes the
Wikimedia product roadmap over several years instead?

Cheers,
Denny

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > board
> > the
> WMF
> > about

> grants.
> > > Will

> > > grant
> > given
> > that
> > into

> Wikidata
> > > Wikimedia
> > movement
> > GLAMs,

> scope,
> > Wikimedia

> lead
> > > for
> > grant.

> > forward

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Thanks to both Lydia and Denny for these further replies.  I assume that
the WMF has a clear stable and unified view of where it is taking its
various products and the dependencies, which is what I understand by the
phrase product roadmap.  "A single document" would be nice, but whatever it
is, I am asking for it to be shared with the community.

"Rogol"

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > about

> > grants.

> [hidden email]

> US$3,015,000
> [1]
> > > given
> in
> Deutschland,
> > > that
> > > into

> > Wikidata
> > > movement
> > > GLAMs,

> > scope,
> > > Wikimedia

> > lead
> Foundation’s
> > > grant.
> months.

> > > forward

> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Hello Rogol,

Thanks for the question.  The Annual Plan we follow and share with the
community for review before we begin our work is available on Meta [1]. We
update specific plans on a quarterly basis on our goals pages [2] as they
may evolve over the year. We also provide a number of links for the
specific teams on our Product page and welcome participation, discussion or
connection through those pathways and directly with the feature teams [3].

Specifically the Wikidata, Community Tech, Editing and Discovery teams have
specific objectives and goals in this years annual plan.

Hope this answers your question and certainly engage in the ongoing
discussion around the work on the Commons page [4].

Thanks,
Wes

Wes Moran
Vice President of Product
Wikimedia Foundation

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2016-2017/Final#Product
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2016-17_Goals
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Product
[4] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Overview

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > grants.

> 2008/12/03/improved-usability-

> > [hidden email]

> > US$3,015,000
> > [1]
> be
> > in
> > Deutschland,
> Wikidata

> > > Wikidata
> program
> as

> > > scope,

> technical
> > > lead
> > Foundation’s
> the
> > months.

> Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/
> 2017/01/09/sloan-foundation-

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of structured data on Commons

Dear Wes

Thank you for yet another prompt response.  It seems almost churlish to say
that unfortunately that is not what I have been asking for -- I must be
very bad at expressing myself to have given so many different people so
many different mistaken impressions of my request.  To me a product roadmap
would be a quite high-level view of the new products and major deveopments
and their linkages looking out on a time scale significantly in excess of a
single year, and at a level of detail significantly less than the
aggregation of all the teams' quarterly plans.  The roadmap would have the
level of abstraction, interconnection and timscale that allows you to say
that a three-year project such as the one you have just announced will
expedite features on your roadmap and that the grant enabled accelerating
the already started work on Structured Commons into a quicker three-year
time frame: so a roadmap on which you can locate a project with a time
frame that was previously beyond three years let alone one.  It is also
known that there are long-term projects such as parser unification, new
editors and discussion systems which look out well beyond the current
year.  Are there others -- we do not (yet) know.

So again, my request is that you share this higher-level, longer-term, if
not completely definitve roadmap with the community in the interests of
transparency not only as an abstract  objective but in order to maximise
the benefits of early engagement, discussion and co-creation.

Yours
"Rogol"