[Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

theo10011
Hi

A few weeks ago MZMcBride proposed an exit interview for Sue on Meta. I
believe his intention was something similar to Reddit's IAmA. I thought
that this was a good idea and supported it. Sue has been at the helm for a
long while, it would be interesting to get her reflection on all the
changes, and give everyone who missed the last IRC office hour session, a
chance to ask any lingering questions.

Sue graciously accepted to do an exit interview a couple of weeks ago. The
page is already set up on Meta[1] for this, and we have a few questions
already. So far, things are organizing themselves pretty well with everyone
voting on what questions are finally picked. Please understand that we want
this to be a slow process, so everyone has time to see the questions and it
can take weeks to get your answer.

I would like to invite everyone reading this to have a look at the page.
Please feel free to post your questions or vote for the ones already
listed. Signpost, Wikinews or any other project/group that wants to use the
exit interview is welcomed to follow that page and add to it. Thanks to MZ
for getting things rolling on Meta and Sue, for accepting to do this.

Regards
Theo


[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_exit_interview/Sue_Gardner
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

metasj
This was a wonderful idea.  Thank you both for organizing it.  SJ

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> A few weeks ago MZMcBride proposed an exit interview for Sue on Meta. I
> believe his intention was something similar to Reddit's IAmA. I thought
> that this was a good idea and supported it. Sue has been at the helm for a
> long while, it would be interesting to get her reflection on all the
> changes, and give everyone who missed the last IRC office hour session, a
> chance to ask any lingering questions.
>
> Sue graciously accepted to do an exit interview a couple of weeks ago. The
> page is already set up on Meta[1] for this, and we have a few questions
> already. So far, things are organizing themselves pretty well with everyone
> voting on what questions are finally picked. Please understand that we want
> this to be a slow process, so everyone has time to see the questions and it
> can take weeks to get your answer.
>
> I would like to invite everyone reading this to have a look at the page.
> Please feel free to post your questions or vote for the ones already
> listed. Signpost, Wikinews or any other project/group that wants to use the
> exit interview is welcomed to follow that page and add to it. Thanks to MZ
> for getting things rolling on Meta and Sue, for accepting to do this.
>
> Regards
> Theo
>
>
> [1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_exit_interview/Sue_Gardner
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l



--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

Dan Rosenthal
Is there any thought or discussion as to whether Sue could (or would want
to) additionally do an actual Reddit IAmA, as Jorm did? Don't get me wrong,
I understand why it is on Meta and I think the Meta interview is a great
idea, but there is also something to be said for presenting to an audience
of people beyond our immediate community of users who even know about meta,
which Reddit's IAmA subreddit is. Especially since Sue has done some very
important work on things like gender issues and her departing thoughts on
broader internet governance issues that would benefit from a wider audience.

-Dan



Dan Rosenthal


On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was a wonderful idea.  Thank you both for organizing it.  SJ
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > A few weeks ago MZMcBride proposed an exit interview for Sue on Meta. I
> > believe his intention was something similar to Reddit's IAmA. I thought
> > that this was a good idea and supported it. Sue has been at the helm for
> a
> > long while, it would be interesting to get her reflection on all the
> > changes, and give everyone who missed the last IRC office hour session, a
> > chance to ask any lingering questions.
> >
> > Sue graciously accepted to do an exit interview a couple of weeks ago.
> The
> > page is already set up on Meta[1] for this, and we have a few questions
> > already. So far, things are organizing themselves pretty well with
> everyone
> > voting on what questions are finally picked. Please understand that we
> want
> > this to be a slow process, so everyone has time to see the questions and
> it
> > can take weeks to get your answer.
> >
> > I would like to invite everyone reading this to have a look at the page.
> > Please feel free to post your questions or vote for the ones already
> > listed. Signpost, Wikinews or any other project/group that wants to use
> the
> > exit interview is welcomed to follow that page and add to it. Thanks to
> MZ
> > for getting things rolling on Meta and Sue, for accepting to do this.
> >
> > Regards
> > Theo
> >
> >
> > [1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_exit_interview/Sue_Gardner
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
>
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Dan Rosenthal, 17/05/2013 07:32:
> Is there any thought or discussion as to whether Sue could (or would want
> to) additionally do an actual Reddit IAmA, as Jorm did? Don't get me wrong,
> I understand why it is on Meta and I think the Meta interview is a great
> idea, but there is also something to be said for presenting to an audience
> of people beyond our immediate community of users who even know about meta,
> which Reddit's IAmA subreddit is. Especially since Sue has done some very
> important work on things like gender issues and her departing thoughts on
> broader internet governance issues that would benefit from a wider audience.

Note however that Reddit is an all-male environment, as noted on some
other list linking this:
<https://infobeautiful3.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/01/1276_chicks_rule.png>.
(Still not as bad as Wikimedia!)

Nemo


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

Dan Rosenthal
Huh, I did not know that (I use Reddit maybe once a year at best). Perhaps
that wouldn't be a bad thing though, if that means you are speaking
directly to a relevant audience (men in an all male environment, about
gender gaps).

Dan Rosenthal


On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dan Rosenthal, 17/05/2013 07:32:
>
>  Is there any thought or discussion as to whether Sue could (or would want
>> to) additionally do an actual Reddit IAmA, as Jorm did? Don't get me
>> wrong,
>> I understand why it is on Meta and I think the Meta interview is a great
>> idea, but there is also something to be said for presenting to an audience
>> of people beyond our immediate community of users who even know about
>> meta,
>> which Reddit's IAmA subreddit is. Especially since Sue has done some very
>> important work on things like gender issues and her departing thoughts on
>> broader internet governance issues that would benefit from a wider
>> audience.
>>
>
> Note however that Reddit is an all-male environment, as noted on some
> other list linking this: <https://infobeautiful3.s3.**
> amazonaws.com/2013/01/1276_**chicks_rule.png<https://infobeautiful3.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/01/1276_chicks_rule.png>
> >.
> (Still not as bad as Wikimedia!)
>
> Nemo
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

Tom Morris-5
In reply to this post by Federico Leva (Nemo)
On Friday, 17 May 2013 at 06:54, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Dan Rosenthal, 17/05/2013 07:32:
> > Is there any thought or discussion as to whether Sue could (or would want
> > to) additionally do an actual Reddit IAmA, as Jorm did? Don't get me wrong,
> > I understand why it is on Meta and I think the Meta interview is a great
> > idea, but there is also something to be said for presenting to an audience
> > of people beyond our immediate community of users who even know about meta,
> > which Reddit's IAmA subreddit is. Especially since Sue has done some very
> > important work on things like gender issues and her departing thoughts on
> > broader internet governance issues that would benefit from a wider audience.
>
>
>
>
> Note however that Reddit is an all-male environment, as noted on some
> other list linking this:
> <https://infobeautiful3.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/01/1276_chicks_rule.png>.
> (Still not as bad as Wikimedia!)



Reddit is like the rest of the Internet: there are bits which are misogynist and horrible, and there are bits which are more progressive and inclusive on gender issues. r/mensrights or r/seduction are a hell of a lot creepier than, say, r/feminisms or r/lgbt or, indeed, some technical topic like r/python.

If Sue were to do an IAmA (and that's kind of up to her), there'd probably be some sexist assholery and some people who want to rant about the perceived injustice of wanting to encourage women to edit Wikipedia (I know, pass the smelling salts, what a radical idea), but there's a solution for that: report it to the mods and move on.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exit Interview - Sue

Brandon Harris-4

On May 17, 2013, at 12:17 AM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If Sue were to do an IAmA (and that's kind of up to her), there'd probably be some sexist assholery and some people who want to rant about the perceived injustice of wanting to encourage women to edit Wikipedia (I know, pass the smelling salts, what a radical idea), but there's a solution for that: report it to the mods and move on.

        This.

        The moderators are fast and good within the AMA area.  The most "inappropriate" questions that I even *saw* were people demanding to know what I get paid.  


---
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l