[Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

[Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Bishakha Datta
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that the Board of Trustees has now *unanimously*
approved this resolution [1] rescinding our previous direction to the
Executive Director to develop a personal image hiding feature.

At our in-person board meeting of 11 July 2012, the vote on this was
provisionally recorded at 9-1, with Jimmy voting against. Jimmy has since
changed his vote to a yes, on reviewing an FAQ accompanying this resolution
which notes that the board is willing to approve a plan broadly backed by
the community.

Thus the vote on this has now been changed to 10-0.

The FAQ accompanying the board resolution on this has been published at:
Talk:Personal_image_hiding_feature<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Talk:Resolution:Personal_image_hiding_feature>

The resolution remains at: [1]
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:_Personal_Image_Hiding_Feature
Best
Bishakha

PS - I will be on a 24-hour plane ride in a few hours, so please excuse any
delayed responses.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Bishakha Datta, 16/07/2012 18:53:
> At our in-person board meeting of 11 July 2012, the vote on this was
> provisionally recorded at 9-1, with Jimmy voting against. Jimmy has since
> changed his vote to a yes, on reviewing an FAQ accompanying this resolution
> which notes that the board is willing to approve a plan broadly backed by
> the community.

What community? Jimbo often declares that en.wiki community should rule
Commons, for instance;[1] will an en.wiki community plan be considered
enough to impose something on everyone?

Nemo

[1] Most recently:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=501492599>
(although ArbCom is technically controlled by himself, not by en.wiki
community).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Dan Rosenthal
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Bishakha Datta, 16/07/2012 18:53:
>
>  At our in-person board meeting of 11 July 2012, the vote on this was
>> provisionally recorded at 9-1, with Jimmy voting against. Jimmy has since
>> changed his vote to a yes, on reviewing an FAQ accompanying this
>> resolution
>> which notes that the board is willing to approve a plan broadly backed by
>> the community.
>>

> What community? Jimbo often declares that en.wiki community should rule
> Commons, for instance;[1] will an en.wiki community plan be considered
> enough to impose something on everyone?
>
> Nemo
>
> [1] Most recently: <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/**
> index.php?title=User_talk:**Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=**501492599<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=501492599>>
> (although ArbCom is technically controlled by himself, not by en.wiki
> community).

It's like you read the first 14 words, ignored everything else, and twisted
it around until it doesn't even resemble what he actually said....

-Dan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Dan Rosenthal, 16/07/2012 20:01:
> It's like you read the first 14 words, ignored everything else, and twisted
> it around until it doesn't even resemble what he actually said....

Oh really?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=481889811>
What does it mean in your opinion then?

Anyway, letting this aside, will the board consider whether all slightly
affected communities agree with whatever request happened to receive
community support somewhere?
For instance, I'm not sure there's any simple solution which can be
implemented on a single wiki without affecting Commons.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Thomas Dalton
On 16 July 2012 14:44, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyway, letting this aside, will the board consider whether all slightly
> affected communities agree with whatever request happened to receive
> community support somewhere?
> For instance, I'm not sure there's any simple solution which can be
> implemented on a single wiki without affecting Commons.

Try reading the linked FAQ.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dan Rosenthal, 16/07/2012 20:01:
>
>  It's like you read the first 14 words, ignored everything else, and
>> twisted
>> it around until it doesn't even resemble what he actually said....
>>

> Oh really? <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/**index.php?title=User_talk:**
> Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=**481889811<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=481889811>
> >
> What does it mean in your opinion then?

It means exactly what Jimmy said.

"Commons would be a lot better off placed under the jurisdiction of our
ArbCom, but that isn't going to happen. What would be best would be for
Commons to get their house in order themselves. I hope people are willing
to help them with that. There are good people at commons who are trying.-"

Jimmy is saying that Commons should fix their own problems, and that it
ISN'T going to be placed under ArbCom's jurisdiction. The words "en.wiki
community should rule Commons" are not anywhere to be found, either in
letter or in spirit. What you suggested that he said rises to the Fox News
level of misleading.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

Jimmy Wales-3
On 7/16/12 6:57 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> What community? Jimbo often declares that en.wiki community should
> rule Commons, for instance;[1] will an en.wiki community plan be
> considered enough to impose something on everyone?
I have not said any such thing, and indeed in the very text you quote I
said exactly the opposite.

For clarity, I do not think that the en.wikipedia community should rule
Commons.

--Jimbo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FAQ - Board Resolution on Personal Image Hiding Feature

stevertigo-2

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have not said any such thing, and indeed in the very text you quote I said
> exactly the opposite.
> For clarity, I do not think that the en.wikipedia community should rule
> Commons.

Cunningham's classic criticism of Wikipedia was that it's status as an
encyclopedia would be only temporary and that it eventually would
become just a wiki. Wikipedia has been sucessful in proving him wrong,
but Commons has been making that task much more difficult, as Commons
is, under its overly broad usage, in fact 'just a wiki.' And
Commons' overbroad self-concept directly impacts Wikipedia.

Certainly one of the keys to Wikipedias success is our clear
self-concept of being an encyclopedia, and by exercising what we think
of as encyclopedic judgment. How that encyclopedic judgment gets put
into practice is not always pretty, and this is one case where one
side are promoting a concept of unusable exhibitionism over Wikipedias
WP:PRIME objective.

Regards,
-SC
(resent with copyedits)