[Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations, Round 1 2017-18

[Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations, Round 1 2017-18

Bishakha Datta
Dear Wikimedians,

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets twice a year to make
recommendations about how to effectively allocate movement funds to achieve
the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy.  This is now the
11th round of allocations made by the FDC, and we met in person from
November 17-20, 2017 in Madrid to deliberate on 9 proposals submitted this
round. Wikimedia Deutschland's annual plan will be reviewed separately.

We would like to thank all of the participating organizations for the hard
work they put into this round’s proposals.

Our recommendations for Round 1 2017-2018 on the annual plan grants to the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees have now been posted on Meta.[1] The
Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by December 31,
2017.

We received grant requests for approximately USD 2,766,000 this round.
Before we met, committee members reviewed all of the proposals and
documents submitted.  We were assisted in this review with input from the
FDC staff assessments which included analysis on impact, finances, and
programs, as well as community comments on the proposals.

As you may know, there is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals
about these recommendations. Here are the steps for both:

Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s
recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives to the FDC by
23:59 UTC on 8 December 2017 in accord with the appeal process outlined in
the FDC Framework [2]. A formal appeal to challenge the FDC’s
recommendation should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word summary
directed to the two non-voting WMF Board representatives to the FDC,
Nataliia Tymkiv and Dariusz Jemielniak. The appeal should be submitted
on-wiki, and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
applicant. The Wikimedia Foundation Board will publish its decision on this
and all recommendations by December 31, 2017.

Anyone can file a complaint about the FDC process [3] with the Ombudsperson
at any time. The complaint should be submitted on wiki, as well. The
Ombudsperson will publicly document the complaint, and investigate as
needed.

On behalf of the FDC,

Bishakha Datta
FDC Chair

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2017-2018_Round_1

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Framework_for_the_Creation_and_Initial_Operation_of_the_FDC

[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Complaints_about_the_FDC_process

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations, Round 1 2017-18

Chris Keating-2
Thanks FDC for your hard work on the recommendations, and It's great to see
so many applicants earning full funding this time!

Chris

On 20 Nov 2017 5:43 pm, "Bishakha Datta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets twice a year to make
> recommendations about how to effectively allocate movement funds to achieve
> the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy.  This is now the
> 11th round of allocations made by the FDC, and we met in person from
> November 17-20, 2017 in Madrid to deliberate on 9 proposals submitted this
> round. Wikimedia Deutschland's annual plan will be reviewed separately.
>

> We would like to thank all of the participating organizations for the hard
> work they put into this round’s proposals.
>
> Our recommendations for Round 1 2017-2018 on the annual plan grants to the
> Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees have now been posted on Meta.[1] The
> Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by December 31,
> 2017.
>
> We received grant requests for approximately USD 2,766,000 this round.
> Before we met, committee members reviewed all of the proposals and
> documents submitted.  We were assisted in this review with input from the
> FDC staff assessments which included analysis on impact, finances, and
> programs, as well as community comments on the proposals.
>
> As you may know, there is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals
> about these recommendations. Here are the steps for both:
>
> Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s
> recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives to the FDC by
> 23:59 UTC on 8 December 2017 in accord with the appeal process outlined in
> the FDC Framework [2]. A formal appeal to challenge the FDC’s
> recommendation should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word summary
> directed to the two non-voting WMF Board representatives to the FDC,
> Nataliia Tymkiv and Dariusz Jemielniak. The appeal should be submitted
> on-wiki, and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
> applicant. The Wikimedia Foundation Board will publish its decision on this
> and all recommendations by December 31, 2017.
>
> Anyone can file a complaint about the FDC process [3] with the Ombudsperson
> at any time. The complaint should be submitted on wiki, as well. The
> Ombudsperson will publicly document the complaint, and investigate as
> needed.
>
> On behalf of the FDC,
>
> Bishakha Datta
> FDC Chair
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2017-2018_
> Round_1
>

> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/
> Framework_for_the_Creation_and_Initial_Operation_of_the_FDC
>

> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Complaints_
> about_the_FDC_process

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations, Round 1 2017-18

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Agree with Chris.

Thank you dear FDC members and staff for the great work: your analysis,
comments, and insight.
I know how hard and complicated is Round 1, and how much time each one of
you invested before and during the deliberations. Once again, thank you.

And Bishaka - congratulations on your new role!

*Regards,Itzik Edri*
Chairperson, Wikimedia Israel
+972-54-5878078 | http://www.wikimedia.org.il
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment!