[Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

[Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

matanya-2
Hello Wikimedians,

Twice a year, the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets to help
make decisions about how to effectively allocate movement funds to
achieve the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy. For
this round, we met in person from May 13-15 to deliberate on five
plans and proposals, which were submitted by Wikimedia Armenia,
Wikimedia Norge, Wikimedia France, the Centre for Internet and
Society, as well as the draft annual plan of the Wikimedia Foundation.
We would like to thank all the organizations this round for submitting
these proposals.

We have posted our Round 2 2015-2016 recommendations on the annual
plan grants to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. [1] The
Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by July 1, 2016.

This round, we received grant requests of roughly $1.25 million USD,
and we have recommended roughly $1.14 million in annual plan grants
(though grants are made in local currency). Before we met in May, we
reviewed all of the proposals and additional documents submitted. We
were assisted in this review with some input from the FDC staff
assessments and analysis on impact, finances, and programs, as well as
community comments on the proposals.

There is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals about these
recommendations. Here are the steps for both:

Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s
Round 2 recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives
to the FDC by 23:59 UTC on 8 June 2016 in accordance with the appeal
process outlined in the FDC Framework. A formal appeal to challenge
the FDC’s recommendation should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word
summary directed to the two non-voting WMF Board representative to the
FDC, Dariusz Jemielniak. The appeal should be submitted on-wiki, [4]
and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
applicant. The Board will publish its decision on this and all
recommendations by 1 July 2016.

Complaints to the ombudsperson about the FDC process can be filed by
anyone with the Ombudsperson and can be made any time. The complaint
should be submitted on wiki, as well. The ombudsperson will publicly
document the complaint, and investigate as needed.

On a side note, all FDC members are flying back to their home
countries, so we might be able to respond only in a day or two,

On behalf of the FDC,

Matanya [1]

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

Anders Wennersten-2
Thanks, for once, again a very thorough work done by FDC.

I find it very encouraging to see that this committee is able to
continue with its good quality in its assessments and also to see it
growing as a role model in integrity and also truly representing the
community in values and experience gained from activities from our
affiliates/chapters.

I do hope that you, both as a role model and in your hand fast
recommendations, can help both the Board and WMF to also evolve into
role models and fully taking in the learning from all parts of the
movement. And that you will continue guide and follow up on the work in
the chapters having employees.

Anders

Now having read through all text twice, and enjoyed it a lot

Den 2016-05-15 kl. 19:29, skrev matanya moses:

> Hello Wikimedians,
>
> Twice a year, the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets to help
> make decisions about how to effectively allocate movement funds to
> achieve the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy. For
> this round, we met in person from May 13-15 to deliberate on five
> plans and proposals, which were submitted by Wikimedia Armenia,
> Wikimedia Norge, Wikimedia France, the Centre for Internet and
> Society, as well as the draft annual plan of the Wikimedia Foundation.
> We would like to thank all the organizations this round for submitting
> these proposals.
>
> We have posted our Round 2 2015-2016 recommendations on the annual
> plan grants to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. [1] The
> Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by July 1, 2016.
>
> This round, we received grant requests of roughly $1.25 million USD,
> and we have recommended roughly $1.14 million in annual plan grants
> (though grants are made in local currency). Before we met in May, we
> reviewed all of the proposals and additional documents submitted. We
> were assisted in this review with some input from the FDC staff
> assessments and analysis on impact, finances, and programs, as well as
> community comments on the proposals.
>
> There is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals about these
> recommendations. Here are the steps for both:
>
> Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s
> Round 2 recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives
> to the FDC by 23:59 UTC on 8 June 2016 in accordance with the appeal
> process outlined in the FDC Framework. A formal appeal to challenge
> the FDC’s recommendation should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word
> summary directed to the two non-voting WMF Board representative to the
> FDC, Dariusz Jemielniak. The appeal should be submitted on-wiki, [4]
> and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
> applicant. The Board will publish its decision on this and all
> recommendations by 1 July 2016.
>
> Complaints to the ombudsperson about the FDC process can be filed by
> anyone with the Ombudsperson and can be made any time. The complaint
> should be submitted on wiki, as well. The ombudsperson will publicly
> document the complaint, and investigate as needed.
>
> On a side note, all FDC members are flying back to their home
> countries, so we might be able to respond only in a day or two,
>
> On behalf of the FDC,
>
> Matanya [1]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Many thanks for the hard work. As I've been an observer to this round, and
as a former chair of the FDC for six rounds, I can attest that you have
done a very good job, discussing the details of all proposals.

While people may disagree with your recommendations or opinions, the
diligent approach and due care are, in my view, indisputable.

Best,

Dj
15.05.2016 7:30 PM "matanya moses" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Hello Wikimedians,
>
> Twice a year, the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets to help make
> decisions about how to effectively allocate movement funds to achieve the
> Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy. For this round, we met
> in person from May 13-15 to deliberate on five plans and proposals, which
> were submitted by Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimedia Norge, Wikimedia France, the
> Centre for Internet and Society, as well as the draft annual plan of the
> Wikimedia Foundation. We would like to thank all the organizations this
> round for submitting these proposals.
>
> We have posted our Round 2 2015-2016 recommendations on the annual plan
> grants to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. [1] The Board will
> review our deliberations and make a decision by July 1, 2016.
>
> This round, we received grant requests of roughly $1.25 million USD, and
> we have recommended roughly $1.14 million in annual plan grants (though
> grants are made in local currency). Before we met in May, we reviewed all
> of the proposals and additional documents submitted. We were assisted in
> this review with some input from the FDC staff assessments and analysis on
> impact, finances, and programs, as well as community comments on the
> proposals.
>
> There is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals about these
> recommendations. Here are the steps for both:
>
> Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s Round 2
> recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives to the FDC by
> 23:59 UTC on 8 June 2016 in accordance with the appeal process outlined in
> the FDC Framework. A formal appeal to challenge the FDC’s recommendation
> should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word summary directed to the two
> non-voting WMF Board representative to the FDC, Dariusz Jemielniak. The
> appeal should be submitted on-wiki, [4] and must be submitted by the Board
> Chair of a funding-seeking applicant. The Board will publish its decision
> on this and all recommendations by 1 July 2016.
>
> Complaints to the ombudsperson about the FDC process can be filed by
> anyone with the Ombudsperson and can be made any time. The complaint should
> be submitted on wiki, as well. The ombudsperson will publicly document the
> complaint, and investigate as needed.
>
> On a side note, all FDC members are flying back to their home countries,
> so we might be able to respond only in a day or two,
>
> On behalf of the FDC,
>
> Matanya [1]
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Thank you Anders and Dariusz for the warm words.

The FDC invested a lot of time to write the recommendations, espcially in
regards to the WMF plan. Good to know that you've read the entire (long)
document :)

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Board
> > Chair of a funding-seeking applicant. The Board will publish its decision
> > on this and all recommendations by 1 July 2016.
> >
> > Complaints to the ombudsperson about the FDC process can be filed by
> > anyone with the Ombudsperson and can be made any time. The complaint
> should
> > be submitted on wiki, as well. The ombudsperson will publicly document
> the
> > complaint, and investigate as needed.
> >
> > On a side note, all FDC members are flying back to their home countries,
> > so we might be able to respond only in a day or two,
> >
> > On behalf of the FDC,
> >
> > Matanya [1]
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

For the ones who do not read the complete text, i see the key sentences
to be (for WMF and the Board)

*WMF to view its actions as leveraging a /network effect/ utilising the
resources of the global movement.

*For an international organization [Board&WMF], there is an apparent
overall lack of global diversity

I do hope that these key needs will be reflected not only in operative
actions but also in the recruitment of a new ED.

A resource centre in SF*combined* with the people, local organisations
and learnings from all over our movement will be a formula for success
that will enable us to reach our vision

Anders

Den 2016-05-15 kl. 21:55, skrev Anders Wennersten:

> [...]
>> the FDC, Dariusz Jemielniak. The appeal should be submitted on-wiki,
>> [4] and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
>> applicant. The Board will publish its decision on this and all
>> recommendations by 1 July 2016.
>>
>> Complaints to the ombudsperson about the FDC process can be filed by
>> anyone with the Ombudsperson and can be made any time. The complaint
>> should be submitted on wiki, as well. The ombudsperson will publicly
>> document the complaint, and investigate as needed.
>>
>> On a side note, all FDC members are flying back to their home
>> countries, so we might be able to respond only in a day or two,
>>
>> On behalf of the FDC,
>>
>> Matanya [1]
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FDC Recommendations for 2015-2016 Round 2

Bishakha Datta
As one of the former board liaisons to the FDC, this is one of the threads
I regularly follow on wikimedia-l.

Am so happy to see the FDC going from strength to strength. It remains a
radical exercise in volunteer-led funding allocation, a model that is
unusual to begin with, and that I've rarely seen operate with such rigour.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any other volunteer-led funding
models. Are there others?

Congratulations to all of you who make it happen,
Bishakha

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]