[Wikimedia-l] FR, EN, and IT editors: Please participate in a labeling campaign about verifiability of unsourced statements!

[Wikimedia-l] FR, EN, and IT editors: Please participate in a labeling campaign about verifiability of unsourced statements!

Jonathan Morgan
Hello everyone,

If you are an editor of the French, Italian or English Wikipedia, and you
are interested in contributing to technologies for improving verifiability
of Wikipedia articles, please read on—we need your help!

In the context of the Knowledge integrity
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Integrity> program, we (the
WMF Research
team <http://research.wikimedia.org>) are studying ways to flag unsourced
statements needing a citation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements>
using machine learning, with the aim of identifying areas where adding high
quality citations is particularly urgent or important. Following the
success of the first labeling campaign
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements/Citation_Reason_Pilot>,
we now need to collect additional, high-quality labeled data regarding
why sentences
need citations.

You are invited to participate in a second annotation task
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements/Labeling_Pilot>.
We used your input from the last experiment to generate a taxonomy of
reasons
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements/Labeling_Pilot#Reason_Taxonomy>
why editors add citations. With this taxonomy now embedded in the
interface, the annotation experience will be much faster and fun.

If you are interested in participating, please go to
http://labels.wmflabs.org/ui/enwiki/ (replace enwiki with itwki or frwiki
if you speak Italian or French), login, scroll down, and request one (or
more) workset  from the campaign *'**Labeling Unsourced Statements II’*.
For each task in a workset, the tool will show you an unsourced sentence in
an article and ask you to annotate it. You can then label the sentence as
needing an inline citation or not, and specify a reason for your choice
from a drop-down menu.  If you can't respond please select 'skip'. You can
also sign up by (optionally) adding your name on this page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements/Labeling_Pilot/Sign_Up>
to receive updates about future campaigns and results from this research

If you have any question/comment on this project, please let us know by
contacting [hidden email] or leaving a message on the talk page of
the project
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Identification_of_Unsourced_Statements/Labeling_Pilot>.

Thank you for your time!

Miriam, Jonathan, and Dario

--
Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FR, EN, and IT editors: Please participate in a labeling campaign about verifiability of unsourced statements!

Miriam Redi-2
Hi all!

Unfortunately, we had a little issue with the first round of annotations..
The data was not recorded perfectly, so we need your precious help again!

It would be great if you could go back to
https://labels.wmflabs.org/ui/enwiki/
<https://labels.wmflabs.org/ui/itwiki/> ("Labeling Unsourced Statements
II") and complete new worksets. Or, for  those of you who have already
participated, you could select the 'review' button for each completed
workset, and repeat/revise your answers.

We will get back to you soon with an overview on your replies.

Thanks a lot, really :)

Miriam, Jonathan and Dario