[Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

[Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Thea Skaff
Hi everyone,

I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
and more.

The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
work of the community and WMF staff.

We welcome your questions and feedback.

Thank you,
Thea

--
*Thea Skaff*
Fundraising Program Manager

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

James Salsman-2
What or who is "Arcadia," listed in the Endowment Benefactors as
having given more than $5 million?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:16 PM Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
> is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
> and more.
>
> The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
> as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
> work of the community and WMF staff.
>
> We welcome your questions and feedback.
>
> Thank you,
> Thea
>

> --
> *Thea Skaff*
> Fundraising Program Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

James Salsman-2
Ah, I see, it's the Endowment Advisory Board member Peter Baldwin and
his wife Lisbet Rausing.

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/09/25/wikimedia-endowment-matching-gift/

Was the donation from the individuals or the Arcadia Fund?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What or who is "Arcadia," listed in the Endowment Benefactors as
> having given more than $5 million?
>

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:16 PM Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
> > is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> > and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
> > and more.
> >
> > The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> > learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
> > as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> > also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
> > work of the community and WMF staff.
> >
> > We welcome your questions and feedback.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Thea
> >

> > --
> > *Thea Skaff*
> > Fundraising Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Is there a map of the world with the spending of the WMF per continent?
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 00:16, Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
> is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
> and more.
>
> The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
> as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
> work of the community and WMF staff.
>
> We welcome your questions and feedback.
>
> Thank you,
> Thea
>

> --
> *Thea Skaff*
> Fundraising Program Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Pine W
Hi Thea,

Thank you for sharing this report.

I very much like the visual design, which I think is simple, clear, and
concise. Who did the design?

Regarding the sentences, "We imagine a world in which every single human
being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Each year, with your
support, we edge closer toward that vision.": I suggest removing the second
sentence because the horizons of human knowledge continue to expand at a
significant rate, and I doubt that we have evidence that we're keeping up
in every human language with the pace that human knowledge advances, let
alone moving fast enough to catch up.

I'm a bit surprised by the relatively low revenue from regions other than
North America and Europe. Those look like areas where Fundraising could be
more successful in the future. Does Fundraising have plans to work on
improving revenue from those regions?

Congratulations on the success with asking donors to cover transaction fees.

Thanks again for sharing this report.

Pine

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 10:16 PM Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
> is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
> and more.
>
> The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
> as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
> work of the community and WMF staff.
>
> We welcome your questions and feedback.
>
> Thank you,
> Thea
>

> --
> *Thea Skaff*
> Fundraising Program Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Spending per continent

Joseph Seddon-6
Hey Gerard.

I don't know of one, but documenting that is outside of the Fundraising
teams responsibilities and outside the focus of this report. I've started a
new thread for any further queries relating to this.

Regards
Seddon

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 9:19 PM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Is there a map of the world with the spending of the WMF per continent?
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 00:16, Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year
> 2018
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This
> report
> > is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> > and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal,
> communications,
> > and more.
> >
> > The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> > learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed,
> particularly
> > as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> > also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support
> the
> > work of the community and WMF staff.
> >
> > We welcome your questions and feedback.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Thea
> >

> > --
> > *Thea Skaff*
> > Fundraising Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Joseph Seddon-6
Hey Pine!

The potential for growth in fundraising in the various geographic locations
is limited by a huge number of factors limited but not including:

Population size, Per capita GDP/Purchasing power parity, Disposable income,
Internet penetration rates, Wikimedia project penetration rates, Prevalence
of philanthropy (including both small or large donors), Propensity towards
desktop or mobile usage, Online payments/banking behaviours, Regulatory
Environments etc. , Ability to implement A/B testing activities

GDP and Readership are significant controlling forces and once you adjust
for those, the continent discrepancies become significantly narrower. And
that doesn't factor in the any of the more challenging to define variables.

As a department we are always evaluating areas for growth, new local
payment methods, monitoring changes to the regulatory environment. The work
the new readers team and volunteers across the globe also plays a
significant long term role in improving our ability to fundraise outside of
Europe and America as we try to grow our readership in these countries.

We are also focusing a lot of efforts on trying to ensure our mobile
campaigns are more effective as much of our readership in advanced
economies transition from mobile to desktop. This will by default improve
our performance in lower income economies as they join the internet
directly to mobile.

Regards
Seddon

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thea,
>
> Thank you for sharing this report.
>
> I very much like the visual design, which I think is simple, clear, and
> concise. Who did the design?
>
> Regarding the sentences, "We imagine a world in which every single human
> being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Each year, with your
> support, we edge closer toward that vision.": I suggest removing the second
> sentence because the horizons of human knowledge continue to expand at a
> significant rate, and I doubt that we have evidence that we're keeping up
> in every human language with the pace that human knowledge advances, let
> alone moving fast enough to catch up.
>
> I'm a bit surprised by the relatively low revenue from regions other than
> North America and Europe. Those look like areas where Fundraising could be
> more successful in the future. Does Fundraising have plans to work on
> improving revenue from those regions?
>
> Congratulations on the success with asking donors to cover transaction
> fees.
>
> Thanks again for sharing this report.
>
> Pine
>

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 10:16 PM Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year
> 2018
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This
> report
> > is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> > and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal,
> communications,
> > and more.
> >
> > The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> > learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed,
> particularly
> > as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> > also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support
> the
> > work of the community and WMF staff.
> >
> > We welcome your questions and feedback.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Thea
> >

> > --
> > *Thea Skaff*
> > Fundraising Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Paulo Santos Perneta
I suppose Asia can do a lot better than 3 million, but I don't augur much
success with increasing those campaigns for Africa and South America, at
least using the current model.

Looking by the sample I know in Brazil (last year fundraising campaign, in
August I believe) the Brazilian Portuguese Wikipedia readers often got
enraged to the point of vandalizing articles stating their disgust for a
campaign asking money to an impoverished country (even more saying 10$ was
the cost of a coffee there). Others "donated" money or attempted to donate
it thinking it was a kind of a fee for being allowed to read Wikipédia
(kind of a subscription).

Paulo

Pine W <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia domingo, 30/09/2018 à(s) 20:30:

> Hi Thea,
>
> Thank you for sharing this report.
>
> I very much like the visual design, which I think is simple, clear, and
> concise. Who did the design?
>
> Regarding the sentences, "We imagine a world in which every single human
> being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Each year, with your
> support, we edge closer toward that vision.": I suggest removing the second
> sentence because the horizons of human knowledge continue to expand at a
> significant rate, and I doubt that we have evidence that we're keeping up
> in every human language with the pace that human knowledge advances, let
> alone moving fast enough to catch up.
>
> I'm a bit surprised by the relatively low revenue from regions other than
> North America and Europe. Those look like areas where Fundraising could be
> more successful in the future. Does Fundraising have plans to work on
> improving revenue from those regions?
>
> Congratulations on the success with asking donors to cover transaction
> fees.
>
> Thanks again for sharing this report.
>
> Pine
>

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 10:16 PM Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year
> 2018
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This
> report
> > is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> > and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal,
> communications,
> > and more.
> >
> > The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> > learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed,
> particularly
> > as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> > also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support
> the
> > work of the community and WMF staff.
> >
> > We welcome your questions and feedback.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Thea
> >

> > --
> > *Thea Skaff*
> > Fundraising Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Ilario Valdelli
I agree in that point.

Please be back to this millenium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
(updated to 2017).

Three Asian countries are listed in the top 10.

And the estimation is to have sooner a fourth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_past_and_projected_GDP_(PPP)#IMF_estimates_between_2020_and_2023

We can say that we have to look at the distribution of GDP, but also in
this case three countries of the top 10 are Asian:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Honestly there should be from Asia a contribution 10 times bigger in the
fundraising.

I think that it's time to say that Asia is a continent that can give more.

Kind regards

On 01/10/2018 12:28, Paulo Santos Perneta wrote:

> [...]
>> communications,
>>> and more.
>>>
>>> The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
>>> learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed,
>> particularly
>>> as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
>>> also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support
>> the
>>> work of the community and WMF staff.
>>>
>>> We welcome your questions and feedback.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Thea
>>>

>>> --
>>> *Thea Skaff*
>>> Fundraising Program Manager
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
>>> San Francisco, CA 94104

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Hey Illario.

It is not as simple to simply that the contribution from Asia should be 10
times bigger.  It is not just about GDP.

Our readership from the three countries in the top 10: Macao, Oman and
Singapore; is a fraction of that of the United States. (specifically 1.4%
of the USA).

Do not get me wrong. Fundraising sees area for potential long term growth
in both Asia and South America but we must be realistic for what that
growth is.

That's why I gave a long list of the factors that affect the potential for
fundraising in Asia, Africa and South America.  Its a complex equation

Regards
Seddon

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:58 AM Ilario valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> be
> >> more successful in the future. Does Fundraising have plans to work on
> >> improving revenue from those regions?
> >>
> >> Congratulations on the success with asking donors to cover transaction
> >> fees.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for sharing this report.
> >>
> >> Pine
> >> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> >> 2018
> >> report
> ops
> >> communications,

> >> particularly
> It's
> >> the

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Correction:  Our readership in Macao, QATAR and Singapore; is a fraction of
that of the United States. (specifically 1.4% of the USA: Percentage
remails effectively unchanged).

Seddon

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:17 PM Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Paulo
>> >
>> > Pine W <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia domingo, 30/09/2018 à(s)
>> 20:30:

>> human
>> your
>> second
>> up
>> let

>> than
>> could be

>> ops

>> on
>> It's

> Seddon
>
> *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

--
Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Yes but India has probably 2 times the population of the whole Europe...
and cannot be defined like a "poor" country. I Think that the same is valid
also for East Asia.

No it's not simple to compare but the amount donated in Asia is really
small.

Kind regards

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, 15:21 Joseph Seddon, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> at
> keeping
> >> up
> >> let

> >> than
> >> could be

> transaction

> year
> >> ops

> >> on
> >> It's
> support

> >> ,
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > Seddon
> >
> > *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> > *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*
> >

> --
> Seddon
>
> *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

India is definitely a place Fundraising see's as having a lot of potential
in the future, but similarly expectations should be managed.

It may have a population twice the size, but its readership is only a
fraction of Europe's.  India is also dominated by mobile that has been
substantially more difficult when it comes to fundraising (although we are
working exceptionally hard in this area).

India is a substantially cash driven economy, and the card payments
environment has also been in substantial flux over the last 5 years both
from a regulatory and alternative payments standpoint.

Is there room for growth? Yes definitely and as a team we hope that to see
that happen incrementally over the coming years. Ten times larger? Maybe in
time.

Regards
Seddon

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:24 PM Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> on

> > transaction

> > year
> This
> tech,

> reflect
> fundraising.
> > support

> > ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > > --
> > > Seddon
> > >
> > > *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> > > *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*
> > >

> > --
> > Seddon
> >
> > *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> > *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Andrew Lih
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 12:24 PM Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes but India has probably 2 times the population of the whole Europe...
> and cannot be defined like a "poor" country. I Think that the same is valid
> also for East Asia.
>
> No it's not simple to compare but the amount donated in Asia is really
> small.

1. Please note that the GDP per capita for China and India *combined* still
falls far short of the EU. [1]

2. For two of the major economies of East Asia, Wikipedia is *not* the
number one reference site for the general public. For China, it’s Baidu
Baike and for Korea, it’s Naver.

As Seddon said, it is a far more complex picture than looking at population
count and dollar amounts.

-Andrew

[1] -
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD?locations=EU-CN-IN

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Amir Sarabadani-2
It might sound naive but Singapore also has lots of potential. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Best

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 4:15 PM Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It might sound naive but Singapore also has lots of potential. Please
> correct me if I'm wrong.

We just had a meet-up there last month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Singapore_X

-Andrew

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Cornelius Kibelka
Hi Thea, hi Seddon,

thanks for the report! Sometimes, I'd love to see more details on specific
details. Nevertheless, thanks for publishing it.

More out of curiosity: Can you give more details on the origin of donations
within Africa? Are they all from South Africa?

Cheers
Cornelius

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 00:16, Thea Skaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am writing to share with you our fundraising report for fiscal year 2018
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2017-18_Report>. This report
> is a collaborative effort on behalf of many teams: fundraising tech, ops
> and donor services, major gifts, online fundraising, legal, communications,
> and more.
>
> The fundraising report offers us an opportunity to pause and reflect on
> learnings from last year and also consider where we're headed, particularly
> as we approach one of our busiest times of the year for fundraising. It's
> also an inspiring reminder of how many people across the world support the
> work of the community and WMF staff.
>
> We welcome your questions and feedback.
>
> Thank you,
> Thea
>

> --
> *Thea Skaff*
> Fundraising Program Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Joseph Seddon-6
Hey Cornelius,

I don't have specific numbers to hand but its safe to assume the majority
do.

Regards
Seddon

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1718 Fundraising Report now published

Joseph Seddon-6
Amir,

I'd refer to my previous email relating to the three high GDP Asian
countries.

Definitely has potential but no silver bullet.

Seddon