[Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Patricia Pena
Hi all,

I’m excited to share with you our FY1819 Fundraising Report
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2018-19_Report>. This report
is an opportunity to provide insight into our revenue model and the
strategy that goes into creating an impactful fundraising campaign. A
sincere thank you to the millions of donors in nearly 30 countries who
support our mission.

I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed and collaborated on this
document: Online Fundraising, Major Gifts & Endowment, Fundraising
Operations, Donor Services, Fundraising Tech, Legal, Communications,
Finance and more! Special thanks to Thea Skaff for once again project
managing this entire effort.

We welcome your feedback and questions on the talk page.
Thank you,
Pats
--
*Pats Pena (she/her) *
Director, Online Fundraising I Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Please Note: If I am emailing after hours or on the weekend, it's because
Wikimedia allows me an awesome flexible schedule. Please do not respond
until reasonable business hours in your timezone, unless of course I am
shouting for help ;-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Philip Kopetzky
Hi Patricia,

thanks for the report! Is it possible to get a country-by-country breakdown
of the donations as well?

Kind regards,
Philip

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 01:25, Patricia Pena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m excited to share with you our FY1819 Fundraising Report
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2018-19_Report>. This report
> is an opportunity to provide insight into our revenue model and the
> strategy that goes into creating an impactful fundraising campaign. A
> sincere thank you to the millions of donors in nearly 30 countries who
> support our mission.
>
> I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed and collaborated on this
> document: Online Fundraising, Major Gifts & Endowment, Fundraising
> Operations, Donor Services, Fundraising Tech, Legal, Communications,
> Finance and more! Special thanks to Thea Skaff for once again project
> managing this entire effort.
>
> We welcome your feedback and questions on the talk page.
> Thank you,
> Pats
> --
> *Pats Pena (she/her) *
> Director, Online Fundraising I Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street I San Francisco, CA 94104
> [hidden email] I +1 (415) 816 3349
>

> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
>

> Please Note: If I am emailing after hours or on the weekend, it's because
> Wikimedia allows me an awesome flexible schedule. Please do not respond
> until reasonable business hours in your timezone, unless of course I am
> shouting for help ;-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Chuck Roslof
Hi Philip,

We do not publish country-level fundraising numbers. My colleague Stephen
discussed why on this list a few years back, so rather than paraphrasing
his previous email I'll just provide a link to it:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-November/085576.html

Best,
Chuck

==
Charles M. Roslof
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
Pronouns: they <http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>/he
<http://pronoun.is/he>

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. As an attorney for the
Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice
to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please see
our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Patricia,
>
> thanks for the report! Is it possible to get a country-by-country breakdown
> of the donations as well?
>
> Kind regards,
> Philip
>
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 01:25, Patricia Pena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’m excited to share with you our FY1819 Fundraising Report
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2018-19_Report>. This
> report
> > is an opportunity to provide insight into our revenue model and the
> > strategy that goes into creating an impactful fundraising campaign. A
> > sincere thank you to the millions of donors in nearly 30 countries who
> > support our mission.
> >
> > I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed and collaborated on this
> > document: Online Fundraising, Major Gifts & Endowment, Fundraising
> > Operations, Donor Services, Fundraising Tech, Legal, Communications,
> > Finance and more! Special thanks to Thea Skaff for once again project
> > managing this entire effort.
> >
> > We welcome your feedback and questions on the talk page.
> > Thank you,
> > Pats
> > --
> > *Pats Pena (she/her) *
> > Director, Online Fundraising I Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street I San Francisco, CA 94104
> > [hidden email] I +1 (415) 816 3349
> >

> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
> >

> > Please Note: If I am emailing after hours or on the weekend, it's because
> > Wikimedia allows me an awesome flexible schedule. Please do not respond
> > until reasonable business hours in your timezone, unless of course I am
> > shouting for help ;-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Chris Keating-2
Hi Chuck,

The reasons the question keeps getting asked is because it was never really
answered in the first place.

The only good reason I can think of for not publishing country-level data
is that there are some countries where that could create risks to the WMF
or individuals because they're places where giving donations to a US
nonprofit is either illegal or politically risky.

However that doesn't apply to most countries, so why not publish the data
for most of the world?

Chris

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:34 AM Chuck Roslof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > We welcome your feedback and questions on the talk page.
> > > Thank you,
> > > Pats
> > > --
> > > *Pats Pena (she/her) *
> > > Director, Online Fundraising I Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 1 Montgomery Street I San Francisco, CA 94104
> > > [hidden email] I +1 (415) 816 3349
> > >

> > > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the
> > > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
> > >

> > > Please Note: If I am emailing after hours or on the weekend, it's
> because
> > > Wikimedia allows me an awesome flexible schedule. Please do not respond
> > > until reasonable business hours in your timezone, unless of course I am
> > > shouting for help ;-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Sandra Rientjes  - Wikimedia Nederland
I agree with Chris.
Furthermore: Wikimedia Nederland, like all chapters, puts a lot of effort
in raising awareness of and support for the Wikimedia projects.  I would
really like to know if these efforts 'pay off'.

Sandra Rientjes
Directeur/Executive Director Wikimedia Nederland

tel.    (+31) (0)30 3200238 (ma, di, do)
mob. (+31) (0)6  31786379 (wo, vrij)

www.wikimedia.nl

Mariaplaats 3
3511 LH  Utrecht

Op do 3 okt. 2019 om 09:13 schreef Chris Keating <[hidden email]
>:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> The reasons the question keeps getting asked is because it was never really
> answered in the first place.
>
> The only good reason I can think of for not publishing country-level data
> is that there are some countries where that could create risks to the WMF
> or individuals because they're places where giving donations to a US
> nonprofit is either illegal or politically risky.
>
> However that doesn't apply to most countries, so why not publish the data
> for most of the world?
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:34 AM Chuck Roslof <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Philip,
> >
> > We do not publish country-level fundraising numbers. My colleague Stephen
> > discussed why on this list a few years back, so rather than paraphrasing
> > his previous email I'll just provide a link to it:
> >
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-November/085576.html
> >
> > Best,
> > Chuck
> >
> > ==
> > Charles M. Roslof
> > Legal Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > Pronouns: they <http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>/he
> > <http://pronoun.is/he>
> >
> > NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
> > information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
> > delete it and let us know about the mistake. As an attorney for the
> > Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal
> advice
> > to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff
> > members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please
> see
> > our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM Philip Kopetzky <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Patricia,
> > >
> > > thanks for the report! Is it possible to get a country-by-country
> > breakdown
> > > of the donations as well?
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Philip

> > > report
> who

> > this

> in
> > > the

> > because
> respond
> am

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Philip Kopetzky
Thanks Chuck for digging out that old email, it does explain why this isn't
done for every country.
Chris and Sandra have a point though, because this can't be a legal issue
for most European countries for example. In return, the local organisations
and communities would benefit from an added layer of feedback based on
their work.

Furthermore, how and how much we fundraise will be one of the important
talking points when implementing the recommendations, especially to set a
benchmark to evaluate if involving local organisations in the fundraising
process actually works or not.

Best,
Philip

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 09:38, Sandra Rientjes - Wikimedia Nederland <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal
> > advice
> > > to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff
> > > members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please
> > see
> > > our legal disclaimer
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.
> > >

> > > On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM Philip Kopetzky <
> > [hidden email]>

> > > breakdown

> campaign. A
> > who

> > > this
> Communications,
> project

> > in

> > > because
> > respond
> > am

Re: [Wikimedia-l] FY1819 Fundraising Report

Hi folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about how this information could be useful
for local affiliates and communities. We'll discuss internally to see if we
might be able to share more information in the future in order to achieve
those benefits in ways that don't raise legal concerns or create excessive
overhead for our fundraising team. We're entering into the busiest time of
the year for online fundraising, though, so it'll be at least a few months
before we are able to address the question internally.

 - Chuck

==
Charles M. Roslof
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
Pronouns: they <http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>/he
<http://pronoun.is/he>

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.