[Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Toby Negrin
Hi all,


You might have seen that Facebook announced a test of a new feature today
that uses English Wikipedia content.[1] The new feature provides more
context about the source of news articles users see in their News Feed on
Facebook by pulling information about publishers from Wikipedia.

We got a heads up about this feature late last week and have been talking
to Facebook since then to better understand how it works.

Here is what we know so far: The feature is an “i” link which Facebook
users can click on to get more context about a news article's source. The
information provided includes Wikipedia content in addition to other
resources. The feature will pull the first three sentences (approximately
300 characters) of an English Wikipedia article about a given news
publication with a link to “continue reading” on Wikipedia, with
attribution to Wikipedia and Creative Commons licensing information. If no
article exists for that news publication, it will note that instead.

The feature will be made available to a limited number of users based in
the United States starting today as a part of their product testing. We
don’t have information on the roll-out plan, which will depend on the
results from the testing.

On a technical basis, this test is utilizing (and regularly updating) XML
dumps to get the Wikipedia content. This does not put as much load on our
servers, but also leaves the content slightly outdated. This is an issue we
are discussing with their technical folks alongside other issues like
content in other languages.

While this new feature did not come from any partnership with a Wikimedia
organization and our open access model means this is something they are
able to do without engaging with us, we appreciate them contacting us
before it went live. We are also always happy to see Wikipedia content
being used to inform more people. We hope to continue to have conversations
with Facebook about the impact of this feature on Wikipedia and will
continue to share relevant updates with Foundation staff and community.

If you haven’t heard about it yet, here is some press:

http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/facebook-wikipedia-context-articles-news-feed/#fvjzBwrtpqqS

https://www.fastcompany.com/40477586/facebook-thinks-the-answer-to-its-fake-news-problems-is-wikipedia

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/05/facebook-article-information-button/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

--Toby

[1]
https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/10/news-feed-fyi-new-test-to-provide-context-about-articles
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

jmh649
Thanks for the heads up. Cool initiative. This will likely mean we
will see conflicted editors in greater numbers trying to adjust the
articles in question. So something to keep an eye on.

James

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Toby Negrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>
> You might have seen that Facebook announced a test of a new feature today
> that uses English Wikipedia content.[1] The new feature provides more
> context about the source of news articles users see in their News Feed on
> Facebook by pulling information about publishers from Wikipedia.
>
> We got a heads up about this feature late last week and have been talking
> to Facebook since then to better understand how it works.
>
> Here is what we know so far: The feature is an “i” link which Facebook
> users can click on to get more context about a news article's source. The
> information provided includes Wikipedia content in addition to other
> resources. The feature will pull the first three sentences (approximately
> 300 characters) of an English Wikipedia article about a given news
> publication with a link to “continue reading” on Wikipedia, with
> attribution to Wikipedia and Creative Commons licensing information. If no
> article exists for that news publication, it will note that instead.
>
> The feature will be made available to a limited number of users based in
> the United States starting today as a part of their product testing. We
> don’t have information on the roll-out plan, which will depend on the
> results from the testing.
>
> On a technical basis, this test is utilizing (and regularly updating) XML
> dumps to get the Wikipedia content. This does not put as much load on our
> servers, but also leaves the content slightly outdated. This is an issue we
> are discussing with their technical folks alongside other issues like
> content in other languages.
>
> While this new feature did not come from any partnership with a Wikimedia
> organization and our open access model means this is something they are
> able to do without engaging with us, we appreciate them contacting us
> before it went live. We are also always happy to see Wikipedia content
> being used to inform more people. We hope to continue to have conversations
> with Facebook about the impact of this feature on Wikipedia and will
> continue to share relevant updates with Foundation staff and community.
>
> If you haven’t heard about it yet, here is some press:
>
> http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/facebook-wikipedia-context-articles-news-feed/#fvjzBwrtpqqS
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/40477586/facebook-thinks-the-answer-to-its-fake-news-problems-is-wikipedia
>
> https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/05/facebook-article-information-button/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29
>
> --Toby
>
> [1]
> https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/10/news-feed-fyi-new-test-to-provide-context-about-articles
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>



--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Andy Mabbett-2
In reply to this post by Toby Negrin
On 5 October 2017 at 20:54, Toby Negrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might have seen that Facebook announced a test of a new feature today
> that uses English Wikipedia content.[1] The new feature provides more
> context about the source of news articles users see in their News Feed on
> Facebook by pulling information about publishers from Wikipedia.

Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video, showing
this in action?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Strainu
2017-10-05 23:14 GMT+03:00 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>:
> On 5 October 2017 at 20:54, Toby Negrin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You might have seen that Facebook announced a test of a new feature today
>> that uses English Wikipedia content.[1] The new feature provides more
>> context about the source of news articles users see in their News Feed on
>> Facebook by pulling information about publishers from Wikipedia.
>
> Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video, showing
> this in action?

Check out the video in the original announcement that Toby linked to.

It's pretty cool indeed, but might put pressure on smaller communities
whenever extended to other languages.

Strainu

>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Dan Andreescu
Couple of scenarios come to mind:

If this succeeds, and is launched more widely, we might have a lot of
preparation to do, and this might not be obvious to Facebook or even to
us.  Facebook has a huge audience and is currently extremely fertile ground
for fake news.  Diverting some of that audience to fact-checking, and
perhaps fake news arguing, on Wikipedia, has the potential to rapidly grow
our editing population.  This is probably a good thing in the long term
but, if it happens, it could be a big challenge in the short term.
Everything from our safety and support teams to our infrastructure
architecture are not set up to scale with rapid editing growth.  I think
some preparatory brainstorming here could be useful.  Just for context, our
editing population is on the order of hundreds of thousands of people on
any given month.  Facebook's news reading population is in the hundreds of
*millions*.  If even 0.1% of them start chatting on our talk pages we would
double our editing traffic.  Think of the way this affects bots, the job
queue, anti-harassment efforts, etc.

On the other hand, if this "fails" from Facebook's point of view, and it's
rolled back, I would hope we stay engaged with them to learn from the
effort.  And I'm sure the communications department is already thinking of
this, but we should prepare for the potential "Facebook finds Wikipedia too
volatile to check facts" or whatever the press decides to do to bait clicks
that day.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [snip]

It's pretty cool indeed, but might put pressure on smaller communities

> whenever extended to other languages.
>
> Strainu
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia-l
> > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Andy Mabbett-2
In reply to this post by Strainu
On 5 October 2017 at 21:20, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2017-10-05 23:14 GMT+03:00 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>:

>> Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video, showing
>> this in action?
>
> Check out the video in the original announcement that Toby linked to.

I saw that video, but it neither mentions nor shows content from Wikipedia.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Toby Negrin
Hi Andy -- at about 18 seconds into the video, you can see content that's
identified, albeit in light gray font, as being from Wikipedia with links
to the article and the license.

-Toby

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 5 October 2017 at 21:20, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2017-10-05 23:14 GMT+03:00 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>:
>
> >> Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video, showing
> >> this in action?
> >
> > Check out the video in the original announcement that Toby linked to.
>
> I saw that video, but it neither mentions nor shows content from Wikipedia.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

Gnangarra
wonderful concept, and yes we need to do more about Newspapers on
Wikipedia.   Fortunately for Australia there has been a number of state
libraries working on creating articles about all newspapers, so we had
links in referencing to the source details in each state so Australian
newspapers are at least ahead of the curve on the information.  It may be
something that can be suggested libraries, beside these two examples we
have Northern Territory, Queensland and Victorian libraries also working on
the project thanks to support from the Australian National Library which is
another one of those projects to grow from seeds scattered by Liam Wyatt
some years ago.


   -
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/State_Library_of_Western_Australia/The_Newspaper_Project
   -
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/State_Library_of_New_South_Wales/The_Newspaper_Project
   -


On 6 October 2017 at 07:15, Toby Negrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andy -- at about 18 seconds into the video, you can see content that's
> identified, albeit in light gray font, as being from Wikipedia with links
> to the article and the license.
>
> -Toby
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 5 October 2017 at 21:20, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > 2017-10-05 23:14 GMT+03:00 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > >> Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video, showing
> > >> this in action?
> > >
> > > Check out the video in the original announcement that Toby linked to.
> >
> > I saw that video, but it neither mentions nor shows content from
> Wikipedia.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Wikimedia-l
> > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Facebook test features Wikipedia

David Goodman-2
I am somewhat concern that we will need to take even greater effort in
double-check those first three sentences than we normally do in ledes. .

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wonderful concept, and yes we need to do more about Newspapers on
> Wikipedia.   Fortunately for Australia there has been a number of state
> libraries working on creating articles about all newspapers, so we had
> links in referencing to the source details in each state so Australian
> newspapers are at least ahead of the curve on the information.  It may be
> something that can be suggested libraries, beside these two examples we
> have Northern Territory, Queensland and Victorian libraries also working on
> the project thanks to support from the Australian National Library which is
> another one of those projects to grow from seeds scattered by Liam Wyatt
> some years ago.
>
>
>    -
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/State_Library_
> of_Western_Australia/The_Newspaper_Project
>    -
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/State_Library_
> of_New_South_Wales/The_Newspaper_Project
>    -
>
>
> On 6 October 2017 at 07:15, Toby Negrin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andy -- at about 18 seconds into the video, you can see content that's
> > identified, albeit in light gray font, as being from Wikipedia with links
> > to the article and the license.
> >
> > -Toby
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On 5 October 2017 at 21:20, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > > 2017-10-05 23:14 GMT+03:00 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > >> Sounds good - does anyone know of any screen-shots. or video,
> showing
> > > >> this in action?
> > > >
> > > > Check out the video in the original announcement that Toby linked to.
> > >
> > > I saw that video, but it neither mentions nor shows content from
> > Wikipedia.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andy Mabbett
> > > @pigsonthewing
> > > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > > wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > > wiki/Wikimedia-l
> > > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Wikimedia-l
> > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia
> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia-l
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>