[Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

[Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Andy Mabbett-2
As some of you may have seen on social media already, the first ever
content made specifically for Wikipedia, in space, was uploaded to
Commons today, and is now in use on Wikipedia articles.

ESA astronaut Paolo Nespoli made recordings of his speaking voice in
English and his native Italian, as part of the 'Voice Intro Project'.

I wrote a blog post about how this came to happen, for the WMF blog:

    https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/11/29/astronaut-spoken-voice/

If you have a social media account, you might like to retweet me:

   https://twitter.com/pigsonthewing/status/935871619247104000

and/ or this thread:

   https://twitter.com/Wikipedia/status/935844854260813824

or share the Wikipedia Facebook page's post:

   https://www.facebook.com/wikipedia/

or of course post in your own words, with the hashtag #WikiVIP

And remember, please, to ask other people who have Wikipedia
biographies, or an item on Wikidata, to record their voice, as
described at:

   https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Voice_intro_project

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Tito Dutta
Really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Thanks
Tito Dutta
Note: If I don't reply to your email in 2 days, please feel free to remind
me over email or phone call.

On 29 November 2017 at 21:28, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As some of you may have seen on social media already, the first ever
> content made specifically for Wikipedia, in space, was uploaded to
> Commons today, and is now in use on Wikipedia articles.
>
> ESA astronaut Paolo Nespoli made recordings of his speaking voice in
> English and his native Italian, as part of the 'Voice Intro Project'.
>
> I wrote a blog post about how this came to happen, for the WMF blog:
>
>     https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/11/29/astronaut-spoken-voice/
>
> If you have a social media account, you might like to retweet me:
>
>    https://twitter.com/pigsonthewing/status/935871619247104000
>
> and/ or this thread:
>
>    https://twitter.com/Wikipedia/status/935844854260813824
>
> or share the Wikipedia Facebook page's post:
>
>    https://www.facebook.com/wikipedia/
>
> or of course post in your own words, with the hashtag #WikiVIP
>
> And remember, please, to ask other people who have Wikipedia
> biographies, or an item on Wikidata, to record their voice, as
> described at:
>
>    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Voice_intro_project
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Anna Stillwell
Andy,
So cool! Thank you for the hard work and for sharing it. I loved reading
the blog this morning and hearing of your efforts and impact.
/a

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Really interesting, thanks for sharing.
>

> Thanks
> Tito Dutta
> Note: If I don't reply to your email in 2 days, please feel free to remind
> me over email or phone call.
>
> On 29 November 2017 at 21:28, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > As some of you may have seen on social media already, the first ever
> > content made specifically for Wikipedia, in space, was uploaded to
> > Commons today, and is now in use on Wikipedia articles.
> >
> > ESA astronaut Paolo Nespoli made recordings of his speaking voice in
> > English and his native Italian, as part of the 'Voice Intro Project'.
> >
> > I wrote a blog post about how this came to happen, for the WMF blog:
> >
> >     https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/11/29/astronaut-spoken-voice/
> >
> > If you have a social media account, you might like to retweet me:
> >
> >    https://twitter.com/pigsonthewing/status/935871619247104000
> >
> > and/ or this thread:
> >
> >    https://twitter.com/Wikipedia/status/935844854260813824
> >
> > or share the Wikipedia Facebook page's post:
> >
> >    https://www.facebook.com/wikipedia/
> >
> > or of course post in your own words, with the hashtag #WikiVIP
> >
> > And remember, please, to ask other people who have Wikipedia
> > biographies, or an item on Wikidata, to record their voice, as
> > described at:
> >
> >    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Voice_intro_project
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Caitlin Cogdill
This is story is so cool in so many ways! Thanks, Andy, for all the work
you did and for sharing the story.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Anna Stillwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Andy,
> So cool! Thank you for the hard work and for sharing it. I loved reading
> the blog this morning and hearing of your efforts and impact.
> /a
>
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Really interesting, thanks for sharing.
> >

> > Thanks
> > Tito Dutta
> > Note: If I don't reply to your email in 2 days, please feel free to
> remind
> > me over email or phone call.
> >
> > On 29 November 2017 at 21:28, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > As some of you may have seen on social media already, the first ever
> > > content made specifically for Wikipedia, in space, was uploaded to
> > > Commons today, and is now in use on Wikipedia articles.
> > >
> > > ESA astronaut Paolo Nespoli made recordings of his speaking voice in
> > > English and his native Italian, as part of the 'Voice Intro Project'.
> > >
> > > I wrote a blog post about how this came to happen, for the WMF blog:
> > >
> > >     https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/11/29/astronaut-spoken-voice/
> > >
> > > If you have a social media account, you might like to retweet me:
> > >
> > >    https://twitter.com/pigsonthewing/status/935871619247104000
> > >
> > > and/ or this thread:
> > >
> > >    https://twitter.com/Wikipedia/status/935844854260813824
> > >
> > > or share the Wikipedia Facebook page's post:
> > >
> > >    https://www.facebook.com/wikipedia/
> > >
> > > or of course post in your own words, with the hashtag #WikiVIP
> > >
> > > And remember, please, to ask other people who have Wikipedia
> > > biographies, or an item on Wikidata, to record their voice, as
> > > described at:
> > >
> > >    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Voice_intro_project
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andy Mabbett
> > > @pigsonthewing
> > > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Caitlin Cogdill
Senior Fundraising Email Manager

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

*https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Chris Keating-2
Glad to see that the final frontier is falling to Wikipedia! Lovely blog post Andy.

This reminds me that (entirely separately) there was an initiative to send copies of Wikipedia into space, does anyone know if that every happened?

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: [Wikimedia-l] First content made for Wikipedia in space!

Natacha Rault
Thank you so much for letting us know, it was really interesting. it would be great to have some workshops just to record voices.
Nattes à chat