[Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Sam Klein
Thank you to everyone working on this.

Basel is a beautiful person, who contributed in so many ways to sharing
knowledge, not only in our community.

A banner (in rotation for a month?  with a focused drive on one day
coordinated w/ other activist groups?), and possibly a logo ribbon, would
be most appropriate.

Andrea writes:
> Also, remember: we have few days before we'll ask money again to all the English-speaking
countries.
> How could we ask for money when we are not using the power that was bestowed
upon us by the very
> same spirit, love and courage that is condemning Bassel to death?

Very well said.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI: User:Odder has now created [[m:Free Bassel
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel>]], as a landing page to link
> from the banner.
>
> If anyone would like to help with a design for the banner (I concede not
> everyone shares my taste for 10pt-black-on-white text), we would be able to
> move ahead.  There is, so far, nothing but support.

Let's A/B test some of the images from the category of media of him on
Commons. I like the photoset with his wife, but there are others that have
been used on banners and pins before.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bassel_Khartabil

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Andrea Zanni-2
Thanks Katherine for this mail,
it gives a lot of context and details, and also thanks for the difficult
work the WMF is doing.

Is the opinion of more experienced NGOs and activists that a dedicated
banner/ribbon/logo would be a good idea?
We all think that is an enormous power that we have as a community, so we
should use it carefully.
But is the most powerful weapon we have (well, second only to a Wikipedia
strike).

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Aubrey

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> that
>    story was the direct result of our efforts or others within the
> #FreeBassel
>    coordination community). (10/21)
>    - Raising Bassel’s case in public speaking opportunities, including
>    Lila’s keynote to the Creative Commons Summit. (10/15)
>    - Blog post #FREEBASSEL: Free culture advocate who built 3D renderings
>    of Palmyra missing in Syria
>    <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/10/08/bassel-missing-syria/> [3].
>    (10/08)
>    - Ongoing participation in #FreeBassel social media campaigns on
>    Facebook and Twitter.
>
> Bassel is in a situation known as arbitrary detention
> <
> http://en.alkarama.org/1763-syria-un-calls-for-the-release-of-freedom-of-speech-advocate-bassel-khartabil
> >
> [4]. Arbitrary detentions are characterized by uncertainty, lack of
> information, and volatility. They’re scary because we don’t know what’s
> happening, and often we are making decisions without a lot of information.
> Our goal is always to support Bassel to make sure our efforts help him
> without putting him at greater risk. So we’ve been working with experienced
> human rights campaigners, including the #FreeBassel campaign, to understand
> the best actions to take at different times over the past two months.
>
> We’ve been in touch with Bassel’s family, who would support continued
> efforts to raise awareness about Bassel’s situation through a note on
> Wikipedia if that should happen. We can also join action letters (like this
> <
> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate
> >
> [5]) where the community agrees it's appropriate. If the community decides
> to move forward with an action, we are here to help. We are monitoring the
> discussions and activity in
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Banner:Free_Bassel as a place where
> community consensus can form. Please let us know if there’s anything else
> we can do to support efforts to raise awareness for Bassel.
>
> Katherine
>
> [1] http://freebassel.org/
> [2]
>
> http://www.wired.com/2015/10/jailed-activist-bassel-khartabil-3d-models-could-save-syrian-history-from-isis/
> [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/10/08/bassel-missing-syria/
> [4]
>
> http://en.alkarama.org/1763-syria-un-calls-for-the-release-of-freedom-of-speech-advocate-bassel-khartabil
> [5]
>
> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, a CentralNotice would seem appropriate here.
> > Please help flesh it out at
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Banner:Free_Bassel .
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Gerard Meijssen

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I have looked at the article. It does not have the necessary urgency. He is
likely to have been sentenced to death and the article reads like a
Wikipedia article. This is Meta, it is not Wikipedia and it needs urgency.
We appeal to the world to get involved to let his death not happen. That is
imho what the message needs to be.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 25 November 2015 at 02:57, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > community consensus can form. Please let us know if there’s anything else
> > we can do to support efforts to raise awareness for Bassel.
> >
> > Katherine
> >
> > [1] http://freebassel.org/
> > [2]
> >

> http://www.wired.com/2015/10/jailed-activist-bassel-khartabil-3d-models-could-save-syrian-history-from-isis/
> > [3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/10/08/bassel-missing-syria/
> > [4]
> >

> http://en.alkarama.org/1763-syria-un-calls-for-the-release-of-freedom-of-speech-advocate-bassel-khartabil
> > [5]
> >

> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, a CentralNotice would seem appropriate here.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

phoebe ayers-3
Has there been a discussion of timing for this? SJ (who is offline right
now) just mentioned that the Free Bassel group may be planning a focused
outreach push tomorrow through Friday. Let's coordinate with them if
possible.
On Nov 25, 2015 11:21 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > that
> > > that

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

> force
> > > or
> > > away.

> > > --
> > > Katherine Maher
> > > Chief Communications Officer
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > > San Francisco, CA 94105
> > >
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> > > +1 (415) 712 4873
> > > [hidden email]

> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Sam Klein
Back at my computer:  I checked w/ Jon Phillips and folks at newpalmyra and
freebassel.org & pointed them to the Meta talk page.   It sounded from a
quick chat as though they had something planned this week, but the real
question is how could a campaign like this be best directed if it was
carried out.  I asked them to share their thoughts on what timing would be
most effective.

Gerard and I also met today a representative from Amnesty Nederland
(Amnesty was one of the previous recipients of the Erasmus Prize). They
confirmed that they've had good results by inviting people to flood the
phone lines of Embassies, and noted that for Syria many countries may not
have a dedicated embassy; but supporters can still call or write an embassy
in a neighboring country.

SJ

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> where
> > it

> something.

> > > ceremony
> > the

> death
> > > for

> > > again
> power
> courage

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

> > force
> scared

> > > --
> > >     Asaf Bartov
> > >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> > >
> > > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
As this is not a Wikipedia article, it is more of an advertisement, a call
to action. Urgency is key. This is not about the well known patterns of a
Wikipedia article.

This is not understood, it results at this late stage in an edit war.
Either we have a point and make it or we have a Wikipedia style article
which is to long to read. It will not be read because there is nothing
urgent, nothing that demands attention.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 25 November 2015 at 11:20, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> > that

>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

>> force
>> > or
>> > away.

>> > --
>> > Katherine Maher
>> > Chief Communications Officer
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> > 149 New Montgomery Street
>> > San Francisco, CA 94105
>> >
>> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
>> > +1 (415) 712 4873
>> > [hidden email]
>> >

>> --
>>     Asaf Bartov
>>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>> sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Gregory Varnum-2
Reminder that the current discussion on the banner will be continuing on Meta-Wiki for another 12 hours:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Banner/Straw_poll

As of this email, 142 people have shown support for the banner campaign and 84 have opposed the banner campaign.

Thank you to everyone that is participating in the poll and discussion.

-greg (User:Varnent)

> [...]
>>>>

>>> http://en.alkarama.org/1763-syria-un-calls-for-the-release-of-freedom-of-speech-advocate-bassel-khartabil
>>>>

>>> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate

>>> you
>>> it

>>> ceremony

>>> for

>>> again

>>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

>>> force

>>> --
>>>    Asaf Bartov
>>>    Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>>> sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Gregory Varnum-2
Greetings,

Quick update for those interested.

The poll closed this weekend - as scheduled (it was a faster timeline given the urgency of the case/request). Right now, we await assessment and closure of the straw poll by a Steward (request has been made on their Noticeboard).

At the time of closing, the banner campaign had 158 in favor (62.45%) and 95 against (37.55%).

Again, thank you to everyone that participated.

As we await closure and possible next steps, reminder that there is info on what actions you can take at:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel

-greg (User:Varnent)

> On Nov 28, 2015, at 3:14 AM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Reminder that the current discussion on the banner will be continuing on Meta-Wiki for another 12 hours:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Banner/Straw_poll <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Banner/Straw_poll>
>
> As of this email, 142 people have shown support for the banner campaign and 84 have opposed the banner campaign.
>
> Thank you to everyone that is participating in the poll and discussion.
>
> -greg (User:Varnent)
>
>> On Nov 26, 2015, at 12:55 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi,
>> As this is not a Wikipedia article, it is more of an advertisement, a call
>> to action. Urgency is key. This is not about the well known patterns of a
>> Wikipedia article.
>>
>> This is not understood, it results at this late stage in an edit war.
>> Either we have a point and make it or we have a Wikipedia style article
>> which is to long to read. It will not be read because there is nothing
>> urgent, nothing that demands attention.
>> Thanks,
>>     GerardM
>>
>> On 25 November 2015 at 11:20, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi,
>>> I have looked at the article. It does not have the necessary urgency. He
>>> is likely to have been sentenced to death and the article reads like a
>>> Wikipedia article. This is Meta, it is not Wikipedia and it needs urgency.
>>> We appeal to the world to get involved to let his death not happen. That is
>>> imho what the message needs to be.
>>> Thanks,
>>>     GerardM

>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Katherine Maher
Hi all,

We thought you would want to see this story about Bassel, published in the
UK's Guardian today. It quotes Jimmy, among others, and we spoke with the
journalist ahead of publication.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/11/bassel-khartabil-fears-for-man-who-brought-open-internet-to-the-arab-world

Bassel was also mentioned yesterday by US Secretary of State John Kerry, in
his remarks on the occasion of International Human Rights Day.

http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2015/12/250541.htm

We're continuing to work with people from FreeBassel on how we can support
their ongoing advocacy, and appreciate your continued support.

Katherine

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> and 84 have opposed the banner campaign.
> >
> > Thank you to everyone that is participating in the poll and discussion.
> >
> > -greg (User:Varnent)
> >
> >> On Nov 26, 2015, at 12:55 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hoi,
> >> As this is not a Wikipedia article, it is more of an advertisement, a
> call
> >> to action. Urgency is key. This is not about the well known patterns of
> >> Wikipedia article.
> >>
> >> This is not understood, it results at this late stage in an edit war.
> >> Either we have a point and make it or we have a Wikipedia style article
> >> which is to long to read. It will not be read because there is nothing
> >> urgent, nothing that demands attention.
> >> Thanks,
> >>     GerardM
> >>
> >> On 25 November 2015 at 11:20, Gerard Meijssen <

If you are serious as a Wikipedian and, when you think that a Syrian can be
a Wikipedian, you may appreciate the need to know at least about some
Syrians and a little more about Syria.

At the Erasmus award ceremony in a conversation with people from the
Tropenmuseum the idea came up to do more Wikipedia things about both Syria
and Syrians. The Tropenmuseum has a GLAM contribution to help us illustrate
such articles ready for upload.
Thanks,
     GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2015/12/missingbassel-what-to-do-for-him-and.html

On 11 December 2015 at 21:43, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >>>>>

> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate

> [hidden email]>

> could
> where

> the

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

> in
> > the
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...
> > <
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> <
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:
> > [hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free Bassel

Sam Klein
The Guardian piece was really good, thank you.  As was the personal history
Joi published:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joichi-ito/mit-researcher-sentenced-_b_8760354.html

Kerry's mention is promising; let's keep pushing for visibility at this
level.

Sam

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >>>>>

> http://www.amnesty.nl/nieuwsportaal/pers/syria-fears-life-free-expression-advocate

> [hidden email]>

> could
> where

> the

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/02/14/wikimedia-foundation-supports-wikipedia-user-subject-to-defamation-lawsuit-in-greece/

> in
> > the
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...
> > <
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> <
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:
> > [hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> If you are serious as a Wikipedian and, when you think that a Syrian can be
> a Wikipedian, you may appreciate the need to know at least about some
> Syrians and a little more about Syria...
>

> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2015/12/missingbassel-what-to-do-for-him-and.html

Yes. Translation of recent tweets, if not entire articles, also helps
broaden the discussion.