[Wikimedia-l] Free as in beer

Richard Symonds-3
So...

BrewDog, a Scotland-based "hipster brewery" - for want of a better phrase -
have just "open-sourced" their entire recipe collection.

You can read more at https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog.

It's not entirely clear what "licence" they're using but they say:

*"copy them, tear them to pieces, bastardise them, adapt them, but most of
all, enjoy them. They are well travelled but with plenty of miles still
left on the clock. Just remember to share your brews, and share your
results. Sharing is caring."*

I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Free as in beer

WereSpielChequers-2
Well they definitely aren't adding either NC or ND, but they might be implying SA with all that sharing is caring stuff.

You could ask before migrating to wiki source, my guess is they are choosing CC-BY-SA

Regards

Jonathan / WereSpielChequers

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 15:19, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So...
>
> BrewDog, a Scotland-based "hipster brewery" - for want of a better phrase - have just "open-sourced" their entire recipe collection.
>
> You can read more at https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog.
>
> It's not entirely clear what "licence" they're using but they say:
>
> "copy them, tear them to pieces, bastardise them, adapt them, but most of all, enjoy them. They are well travelled but with plenty of miles still left on the clock. Just remember to share your brews, and share your results. Sharing is caring."
>
> I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free as in beer

Isaac David

Le lun. 29 févr. 2016 à 9:19, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> a écrit :
> I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!

This is not the first time libre beer is made:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Beer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Free as in beer

David Emrany
Dear Richard

Free as in beer ..or paid as in PR !!!

This is exactly the sort of PR paid editing for which Wikimedia-UK
(and the UK centric paid editing cabals) are notorious for.[1],[2],[3]

Do you seriously expect the community to believe that promoting a
web-page which starts off with an investment pitch is all innocent and
charitable ?

David

[1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Bishonen&diff=prev&oldid=35070171
[2] https://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks/prospectus-download
[3]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK#Gibraltarpedia

On 2/29/16, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So...
>
> BrewDog, a Scotland-based "hipster brewery" - for want of a better phrase -
> have just "open-sourced" their entire recipe collection.
>
> You can read more at https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog.
>
> It's not entirely clear what "licence" they're using but they say:
>
> *"copy them, tear them to pieces, bastardise them, adapt them, but most of
> all, enjoy them. They are well travelled but with plenty of miles still
> left on the clock. Just remember to share your brews, and share your
> results. Sharing is caring."*
>
> I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Free as in beer

John Mark Vandenberg
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So...
>
> BrewDog, a Scotland-based "hipster brewery" - for want of a better phrase -
> have just "open-sourced" their entire recipe collection.
>
> You can read more at https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog.
>
> It's not entirely clear what "licence" they're using but they say:
>
> "copy them, tear them to pieces, bastardise them, adapt them, but most of
> all, enjoy them. They are well travelled but with plenty of miles still left
> on the clock. Just remember to share your brews, and share your results.
> Sharing is caring."

Ask them to clarify their license...?  The PDF would be a great
addition to Wikimedia Commons, if possible.  However the inclusion of
packaging diagrams in their PDF's recipes is likely to mean they dont
want to release this PDF under generous terms, but instead this is a
marketing gimmick only.  If we can only get it without those packaging
diagrams, that would still be good.

> I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!

no, no this is not some magic moment of enlightenment.

similar sharing of beer recipes has occurred as long as beer has existed.

Even properly licensed shared beer brew recipes have been around for a
*very* long time.

Even the US Whitehouse got in on the action

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wh_beer_recipe_both-o.svg

There are even companies that share their beer trademark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Beer

--
John Vandenberg