[Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

[Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Tomasz W. Kozłowski
Hi there,
I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior Intelligence,
DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful to
the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
nationale").

Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before that,
but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
counsel).

Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
they wanted to have deleted was
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.

I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to remove
information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article 413-11 of
the French penal code in this case), it is something worth sharing (no
harm intended).

Further reading in English:
* <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508>
* <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

--
Tomasz W. Kozłowski
a.k.a. [[user:odder]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Fred Bauder-2
Hard to know what was involved from the information you provide. The
problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
then there is classified information release of which can cause serious
damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble. Not that we
should knuckle under to nonsense.

Fred

> Hi there,
> I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior Intelligence,
> DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful to
> the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
> nationale").
>
> Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before that,
> but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> counsel).
>
> Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
> they wanted to have deleted was
> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.
>
> I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to remove
> information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article 413-11 of
> the French penal code in this case), it is something worth sharing (no
> harm intended).
>
> Further reading in English:
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508>
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>
>
> --
> Tomasz W. Kozłowski
> a.k.a. [[user:odder]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Matthew Roth
This is where the discussion is happening on-wiki:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs#Secret_d.C3.A9fense

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hard to know what was involved from the information you provide. The
> problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
> then there is classified information release of which can cause serious
> damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble. Not that we
> should knuckle under to nonsense.
>
> Fred
>
> > Hi there,
> > I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
> > Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior Intelligence,
> > DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
> > Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> > administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> > understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful to
> > the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
> > nationale").
> >
> > Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
> > remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before that,
> > but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
> > the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> > counsel).
> >
> > Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
> > operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> > him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> > obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> > administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
> > they wanted to have deleted was
> > <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.
> >
> > I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to remove
> > information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article 413-11 of
> > the French penal code in this case), it is something worth sharing (no
> > harm intended).
> >
> > Further reading in English:
> > * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508>
> > * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>
> >
> > --
> > Tomasz W. Kozłowski
> > a.k.a. [[user:odder]]

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Yaroslav M. Blanter
Do not they have Swiss, Canadian, and Balgian administrators to restore
the article?

Cheers
Yaroslav

On 05.04.2013 19:41, Tomasz W. Kozłowski wrote:

> Hi there,
> I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior Intelligence,
> DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful to
> the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
> nationale").
>
> Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before that,
> but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> counsel).
>
> Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
> they wanted to have deleted was
> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.
>
> I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to remove
> information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article 413-11 of
> the French penal code in this case), it is something worth sharing (no
> harm intended).
>
> Further reading in English:
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508>
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 05.04.2013 20:58, schrieb Yaroslav M. Blanter:
> Do not they have Swiss, Canadian, and Balgian administrators to restore
> the article?

The article actually was restored by someone outside France.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Fred Bauder-2
Typical. They were not willing to tell our legal counsel why or what was
classified; she, of course, has no French security clearance; now it is
spread all over an administrators noticeboard, and restored.

They weren't wrong but neither is our legal counsel or the users; so
"fell between the cracks." Hopefully the matter was not too important;
I'm sure we have enough money to pay for relocating the facility to a
secure location.

Fred

> This is where the discussion is happening on-wiki:
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs#Secret_d.C3.A9fense
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> Hard to know what was involved from the information you provide. The
problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
then there is classified information release of which can cause
serious damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble.
Not that we should knuckle under to nonsense.

>> Fred
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> > I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior
>> Intelligence,
>> > DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful
>> > the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
nationale").

>> > Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before
>> that,
>> > but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
counsel).

>> > Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
>> > administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
they wanted to have deleted was
>> > <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.
>> >
>> > I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to
remove information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article
413-11 of the French penal code in this case), it is something worth
sharing
>> (no
>> > harm intended).
>> >
>> > Further reading in English:
>> > * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508> *
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

>> > --
>> > Tomasz W. Kozłowski
>> > a.k.a. [[user:odder]]

> Matthew Roth
> Global Communications Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> +1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
> www.wikimediafoundation.org
> *https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

George William Herbert
This is seeming a little silly; it's just a big communications station.
 It's got huge radio towers and is very visible on the skyline for a
distance.  It's got a civilian radio/TV tower colocated with it.

I can't see what would be sensitive in the article..

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Typical. They were not willing to tell our legal counsel why or what was
> classified; she, of course, has no French security clearance; now it is
> spread all over an administrators noticeboard, and restored.
>
> They weren't wrong but neither is our legal counsel or the users; so
> "fell between the cracks." Hopefully the matter was not too important;
> I'm sure we have enough money to pay for relocating the facility to a
> secure location.
>
> Fred
>
> > This is where the discussion is happening on-wiki:
> >
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs#Secret_d.C3.A9fense
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hard to know what was involved from the information you provide. The
> problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
> then there is classified information release of which can cause
> serious damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble.
> Not that we should knuckle under to nonsense.
> >>
> >> Fred

> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior
> >> Intelligence,
> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful
> nationale").

> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before
> >> that,
> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> counsel).

> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> they wanted to have deleted was

> remove information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article
> 413-11 of the French penal code in this case), it is something worth
> sharing
> >> (no

> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

> > Matthew Roth
> > Global Communications Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > +1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
> > www.wikimediafoundation.org
> > *https://donate.wikimedia.org*

-george william herbert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Fred Bauder-2
Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow it
was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.

Fred

> This is seeming a little silly; it's just a big communications station.
>  It's got huge radio towers and is very visible on the skyline for a
> distance.  It's got a civilian radio/TV tower colocated with it.
>
> I can't see what would be sensitive in the article..
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Typical. They were not willing to tell our legal counsel why or what
>> was
>> classified; she, of course, has no French security clearance; now it is
>> spread all over an administrators noticeboard, and restored.
>>
>> They weren't wrong but neither is our legal counsel or the users; so
>> "fell between the cracks." Hopefully the matter was not too important;
>> I'm sure we have enough money to pay for relocating the facility to a
>> secure location.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> > This is where the discussion is happening on-wiki:
>> >
>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs#Secret_d.C3.A9fense

>> problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
>> then there is classified information release of which can cause
>> serious damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble.
>> Not that we should knuckle under to nonsense.

>> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior
>> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
>> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
>> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful
>> Défense
>> nationale").

>> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before
>> why
>> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
>> counsel).

>> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
>> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
>> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
>> they wanted to have deleted was

>> remove information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article
>> 413-11 of the French penal code in this case), it is something worth
>> sharing

>> *
>> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

>> > --
>> >
>> > Matthew Roth
>> > Global Communications Manager
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> > +1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
>> > www.wikimediafoundation.org
>> > *https://donate.wikimedia.org*

> -george william herbert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

rotsee
Was it an author of the article they contacted, or just a random administrator?
Leo

_______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46 (0) 735 - 933 543

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:44:57 -0600
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article
>
> Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow it
> was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.
>
> Fred
>
> > This is seeming a little silly; it's just a big communications station.
> >  It's got huge radio towers and is very visible on the skyline for a
> > distance.  It's got a civilian radio/TV tower colocated with it.
> >
> > I can't see what would be sensitive in the article..
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Typical. They were not willing to tell our legal counsel why or what
> >> was
> >> classified; she, of course, has no French security clearance; now it is
> >> spread all over an administrators noticeboard, and restored.
> >>
> >> They weren't wrong but neither is our legal counsel or the users; so
> >> "fell between the cracks." Hopefully the matter was not too important;
> >> I'm sure we have enough money to pay for relocating the facility to a
> >> secure location.
> >>
> >> Fred

> >> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs#Secret_d.C3.A9fense

> >> problem is there is classified information that amounts to nothing and
> >> then there is classified information release of which can cause
> >> serious damage. Defiance will eventually result in serious trouble.
> >> Not that we should knuckle under to nonsense.

> >> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior
> >> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> >> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> >> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful
> >> Défense
> >> nationale").

> >> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before
> >> why
> >> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> >> counsel).

> >> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> >> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> >> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> >> they wanted to have deleted was

> >> remove information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article
> >> 413-11 of the French penal code in this case), it is something worth
> >> sharing

> >> *
> >> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>

> > -george william herbert

---
Leo Wallentin
Skype: leo_wallentin
Twitter: @leo_wallentin
Säsongsmat.nu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of aWikipedia article

Peter Southwood
Well that's one way of drawing attention to the site...

> I guess you might be interested to hear that Direction Centrale du
> Renseignement Intérieur (Central Directorate of Interior Intelligence,
> DCRI), a French intelligence agency that reports directly to the
> Ministry of the Interior, has apparently forced a French Wikipedia
> administrator to delete an article that in their opinion—as I
> understand it—revelead classified information deemed very harmful to
> the French national defence ("compromission du secret de la Défense
> nationale").
>
> Interestingly, they contacted the WMF legal team with a request to
> remove (delete? suppress?) this article a couple of weeks before that,
> but were refused after failing to provide further information on why
> the article should be removed (in the words of a Foundation legal
> counsel).
>
> Undounted by that, they approached the said administrator — who
> operates under his real name, so I guess it was pretty easy to track
> him — and asked him to delete this article, a request which he
> obliged. (The article has since been restored by a different
> administrator). As far as I understand, the version of the article
> they wanted to have deleted was
> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=81104004>.
>
> I guess that when an intelligence agency asks their citizen to remove
> information from Wikipedia citing the penal code (article 413-11 of
> the French penal code in this case), it is something worth sharing (no
> harm intended).
>
> Further reading in English:
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=91703508>
> * <https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=91705235>
>
> --
> Tomasz W. Kozłowski
> a.k.a. [[user:odder]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of aWikipedia article

Craig Franklin
...and ensuring its translated into as many languages as possible!
On 06/04/2013 7:10 AM, "Peter Southwood" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Well that's one way of drawing attention to the site...
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tomasz W. Kozłowski" <
> [hidden email]>

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le vendredi 05 avril 2013 à 13:44 -0600, Fred Bauder a écrit :
> Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow it
> was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.

Or maybe just a test to see how hard it could be to do. Who know. ;)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Alex Peek
All complaints about this project will be respected. I completely
understand why a certain country or locality would object to data being
included and this project.

Keep in mind that all pieces of data used in the project must be available
to the public. I do not understand why there would be an objection when
data used is freely available.

The current Wikipedia 'Economy of the ________" pages already feature lots
of world economic data. This project organizes that data in a legal way.

The whole point of this project is to provide a public good. I do not want
to offend anyone or do anybody harm. I believe that this project would help
educated people about the world economy.

On 5 April 2013 20:02, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le vendredi 05 avril 2013 à 13:44 -0600, Fred Bauder a écrit :
> > Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow it
> > was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.
>
> Or maybe just a test to see how hard it could be to do. Who know. ;)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Alex Peek
Call me at 206-304-0703 if you want to talk. I live in Seattle and it is
9:33 pm here

On 5 April 2013 21:32, Alex Peek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All complaints about this project will be respected. I completely
> understand why a certain country or locality would object to data being
> included and this project.
>
> Keep in mind that all pieces of data used in the project must be available
> to the public. I do not understand why there would be an objection when
> data used is freely available.
>
> The current Wikipedia 'Economy of the ________" pages already feature lots
> of world economic data. This project organizes that data in a legal way.
>
> The whole point of this project is to provide a public good. I do not want
> to offend anyone or do anybody harm. I believe that this project would help
> educated people about the world economy.
>

> On 5 April 2013 20:02, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Le vendredi 05 avril 2013 à 13:44 -0600, Fred Bauder a écrit :
>> > Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow
>> it
>> > was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.
>>
>> Or maybe just a test to see how hard it could be to do. Who know. ;)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Matthew Roth
WMF Legal Counsel Michele Paulson has added a statement to the discussion
on fr.wp here:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Bulletin_des_administrateurs/2013/Semaine_14#Wikimedia_Foundation_elaborates_on_recent_demand_by_French_governmental_agency_to_remove_Wikipedia_content
.

It is also repeated on Meta here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/Statement_on_France

I noted on the Communications Committee list that everyone can feel invited
to send press inquiries to me at the Foundation. I'm happy to clarify what
we know of the chronology of events and answer questions reporters might
have.

thank you,
Matthew

--

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Mathieu Stumpf <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le vendredi 05 avril 2013 à 13:44 -0600, Fred Bauder a écrit :
> > Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow it
> > was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target forward.
>
> Or maybe just a test to see how hard it could be to do. Who know. ;)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Peter Southwood
Quite so, any information that can not be referenced can be challenged and
deleted in the usual way - without attracting much attention, and entirely
within the accepted procedures of Wikipedia.

> All complaints about this project will be respected. I completely
> understand why a certain country or locality would object to data being
> included and this project.
>
> Keep in mind that all pieces of data used in the project must be available
> to the public. I do not understand why there would be an objection when
> data used is freely available.
>
> The current Wikipedia 'Economy of the ________" pages already feature lots
> of world economic data. This project organizes that data in a legal way.
>
> The whole point of this project is to provide a public good. I do not want
> to offend anyone or do anybody harm. I believe that this project would
> help
> educated people about the world economy.
>

> On 5 April 2013 20:02, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Le vendredi 05 avril 2013 à 13:44 -0600, Fred Bauder a écrit :
>> > Somehow it is important... Streisand effect writ large. Unless somehow
>> > it
>> > was just a mixup, or a deliberate attempt to put a false target
>> > forward.
>>
>> Or maybe just a test to see how hard it could be to do. Who know. ;)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Adrienne Alix
Hi folks,

We published a blogpost in french :
http://blog.wikimedia.fr/la-dcri-menace-un-administrateur-de-wikipedia-pour-supprimer-un-article-5477

And translation in english :
http://blog.wikimedia.fr/dcri-threat-a-sysop-to-delete-a-wikipedia-article-5493

Many journalists and bloggers are taking back the story in the media.
Everyone supports us.

Adrienne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Federico Leva (Nemo)
At last you can also see the effects on pageviews (it was a bit slow):
https://toolserver.org/~johang/wikitrends/french-uptrends-today.html

Uptrends on French Wikipedia today

     Station hertzienne militaire de Pierre-sur-Haute (+1 161 125%)
     La station hertzienne de Pierre-sur-Haute est un site de trente
hectares voué aux communications interarmées françaises, situé sur les
communes de Sauvain et de Job, la limite entre le Rhône-Alpes et
l'Auvergne traversant la base. En périphérie de sa voca...
     Related pages: Effet Streisand (+28 486%)

<http://stats.grok.se/fr/201304/Station_hertzienne_militaire_de_Pierre-sur-Haute>
<http://stats.grok.se/fr/201304/Station%20hertzienne%20militaire%20de%20Pierre%20sur%20Haute>

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Romaine Wiki
An intelligence agency that apparently hasn't done enough intelligence to know that doing such action would cause the opposite and also clearly do not know how Wikipedia works. Did I had to high expectations or were their criteria of quality too low?

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:31:29, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't see what would be sensitive in the article..

I think that the existence of the article is considered too sensitive for them, not realizing that all information is already elsewhere on the internet.

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 22:09:51, "Peter Southwood" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well that's one way of drawing attention to the site...

We should thank them for making Wikipedia get in the spotlights. Free publicity.

As the intelligence agencies are enough encyclopaedic to have in our encyclopaedias, maybe we should think of setting up a project like Wiki Loves intelligence agencies.  ;-)  Compared to Wiki Loves Monuments are the heritage agencies loved by the Wikipedians and the heritage agencies like the Wikipedias, while with Wiki Loves intelligence agencies is probably only a one-way loving.

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

Peter Gervai-5
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An intelligence agency that apparently hasn't done enough intelligence to know that doing such action would cause the opposite

Possibly there will be a rise in the number of janitors against the
number of intelligence officers.