[Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

[Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Asaf Bartov-2
Hullo everyone.

I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
articles about women out of all articles about humans*.

Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap

(please see the *caveat* there.)

I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
results, but I will quickly point out the following:

1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.

2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
articles about women among all biographies.

3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
coverage.)

4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.

5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
eventually have some sense of trends and changes.

6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
:)

7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)

8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
can do it yourself, too. :)

   A.

[1] https://query.wikidata.org/
[2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Vitor Mazuco
So interesting this list Asaf.

> Hullo everyone.
>
> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>
> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
> here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>
> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>
> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>
> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>
> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
> articles about women among all biographies.
>
> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
> coverage.)
>
> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>
> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>
> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
> :)
>
> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>
> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
> can do it yourself, too. :)
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Anna Stillwell
Thank you for this, Asaf. Very useful.
/a

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hullo everyone.
>
> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>
> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
> here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>
> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>
> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>
> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>
> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
> articles about women among all biographies.
>
> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
> coverage.)
>
> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>
> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>
> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
> :)
>
> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>
> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
> can do it yourself, too. :)
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Anna Stillwell
Director of Culture and Collaboration
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Giuseppe Profiti
Thanks Asaf, it is quite interesting.
I have a couple of questions and one comment:
- why is Italian wikipedia missing? Is there a problem with wikidata links?
- is this kind of analysis possible also to the average user?

The comment is about measuring such ratio in other similar products
(encyclopedia, books with biographies etc) to see how wel we fare
compared to others.

Best,
Giuseppe

> Hullo everyone.
>
> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>
> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
> here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>
> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>
> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>
> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>
> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
> articles about women among all biographies.
>
> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
> coverage.)
>
> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>
> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>
> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
> :)
>
> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>
> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
> can do it yourself, too. :)
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Alex Wang
Thanks, Asaf!

This is very useful and interesting. There is much work to be done.

Cheers,

Alex

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Anna Stillwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> > responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew
> Wikipedia!
> > :)
> >
> > 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> > you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
> >
> > 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or
> you
> > can do it yourself, too. :)
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> > [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
> > --
> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Alexandra Wang
Program Officer
Community Resources
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>
+1 415-839-6885
Skype: alexvwang

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Shani Evenstein
This is so cool! Thanks. :-)

(CCing some wiki-women from He-Wiki).

Shani.
On 16 Jun 2016 23:29, "Alex Wang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > --
> > >     Asaf Bartov
> > >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> > >
> > > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > > https://donate.wikimedia.org

> > Anna Stillwell
> > Director of Culture and Collaboration
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.806.1536
> > *www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

> Alexandra Wang
> Program Officer
> Community Resources
> Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>
> +1 415-839-6885
> Skype: alexvwang

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Florence Devouard-6
Hello Asaf

Just making sure that you knew about WHGI :
http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-language.html

Do you know if there are differences in analysis between the two analysis ?

I checked a few figures and it fits pretty well.

Flo

Le 16/06/16 à 21:14, Asaf Bartov a écrit :

> Hullo everyone.
>
> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>
> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
> here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>
> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>
> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>
> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>
> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
> articles about women among all biographies.
>
> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
> coverage.)
>
> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>
> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>
> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
> :)
>
> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>
> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
> can do it yourself, too. :)
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Asaf Bartov-2
Thanks, Florence!

I was aware of the WIGI research project (and have linked to it in the
==See Also== section of my page), but I was not aware of this page.  Neat!
So I won't need to update my own page. :)

   A.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Asaf
>
> Just making sure that you knew about WHGI :
> http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-language.html
>
> Do you know if there are differences in analysis between the two analysis ?
>
> I checked a few figures and it fits pretty well.
>
> Flo
>

> Le 16/06/16 à 21:14, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
>
>> Hullo everyone.
>>
>> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
>> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
>> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
>> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
>> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>>
>> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
>> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a
>> table,
>> here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>>
>> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>>
>> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
>> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>>
>> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
>> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>>
>> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
>> articles about women among all biographies.
>>
>> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
>> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
>> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop
>> culture
>> coverage.)
>>
>> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>>
>> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
>> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>>
>> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
>> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
>> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
>> :)
>>
>> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
>> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>>
>> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
>> can do it yourself, too. :)
>>
>>    A.
>>
>> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
>> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Asaf Bartov-2
Hi, Giuseppe.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Giuseppe Profiti <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Asaf, it is quite interesting.
> I have a couple of questions and one comment:
> - why is Italian wikipedia missing? Is there a problem with wikidata links?

Just an oversight -- I accidentally overwrote that line when posting.  Now
added. (~14.6%)

- is this kind of analysis possible also to the average user?

Sure!  Here's a query for number of article about women on ITWP:
http://tinyurl.com/hzrdfub

And here's one about men:
http://tinyurl.com/h7obnnq

And you can just change the language code to get other languages.  The
queries are split by gender even though it's possible to get both counts in
one query, to decrease the odds of running out of time for the query (an
unfortunate limitation due to lacking hardware, which also makes it
impossible to count articles about men on ENWP without help from a WMF
engineer.)

> The comment is about measuring such ratio in other similar products
> (encyclopedia, books with biographies etc) to see how wel we fare
> compared to others.

That would indeed be interesting, but I'm leaving that as an exercise for
someone else. :)

   A.
--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Florence Devouard-6
I think the project evolved over time. It may be that this page did not
exist in the first version.

Clearly, the site has been modified recently because the name changed
from WIGI to WHGI. And I see the main four pages has been updated.

If you look at "Gender by language" for example, it mentions "As of
January 2016 about 98% of biographies were attached to at least one
Wikipedia site, so this data is mostly complete."

Gender by date of birth and death mentions "As of January 2016, only
about 72% and 36% of biographies, had date of birth and date of death
data, respectively, so this data is incomplete."

Gender by country mentions "As of January 2016, only about 30% of
biographies, had place of birth, so this data is incomplete."

and "As of January 2016, only about 65% of biographies, had culture, so
this data is incomplete."

Recently, these dates were much further in the past. I know because I
noticed and ask Max for fresher data
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wigi-project/CCLSKN2tmQE
A small table published there may answer part of your questions.

Ant

Le 17/06/16 à 00:22, Asaf Bartov a écrit :

> Thanks, Florence!
>
> I was aware of the WIGI research project (and have linked to it in the
> ==See Also== section of my page), but I was not aware of this page.  Neat!
> So I won't need to update my own page. :)
>
>    A.
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Asaf
>>
>> Just making sure that you knew about WHGI :
>> http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-language.html
>>
>> Do you know if there are differences in analysis between the two analysis ?
>>
>> I checked a few figures and it fits pretty well.
>>
>> Flo
>>

>> Le 16/06/16 à 21:14, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
>>
>>> Hullo everyone.
>>>
>>> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
>>> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
>>> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
>>> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
>>> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>>>
>>> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
>>> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a
>>> table,
>>> here:
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>>>
>>> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>>>
>>> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
>>> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>>>
>>> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
>>> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>>>
>>> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
>>> articles about women among all biographies.
>>>
>>> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
>>> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
>>> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop
>>> culture
>>> coverage.)
>>>
>>> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>>>
>>> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
>>> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>>>
>>> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
>>> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
>>> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
>>> :)
>>>
>>> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
>>> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>>>
>>> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
>>> can do it yourself, too. :)
>>>
>>>    A.
>>>
>>> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
>>> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Tanweer Morshed
Hi Asaf,

The table is quite interesting! This is the first time I could imagine the
actual situation about the coverage of women biographies in various
Wikipedias, especially in my home Wiki, the Bengali Wikipedia. I'm going to
spread this statistics among the community.

And I have asked Ganesh, one of the veteran Nepali Wikipedian, as to why
the statistics of Nepali WP is that much astonishing. I'll convey his reply
to this thread.

Thanks.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 6:01 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think the project evolved over time. It may be that this page did not
> exist in the first version.
>
> Clearly, the site has been modified recently because the name changed from
> WIGI to WHGI. And I see the main four pages has been updated.
>
> If you look at "Gender by language" for example, it mentions "As of
> January 2016 about 98% of biographies were attached to at least one
> Wikipedia site, so this data is mostly complete."
>
> Gender by date of birth and death mentions "As of January 2016, only about
> 72% and 36% of biographies, had date of birth and date of death data,
> respectively, so this data is incomplete."
>
> Gender by country mentions "As of January 2016, only about 30% of
> biographies, had place of birth, so this data is incomplete."
>
> and "As of January 2016, only about 65% of biographies, had culture, so
> this data is incomplete."
>
> Recently, these dates were much further in the past. I know because I
> noticed and ask Max for fresher data
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wigi-project/CCLSKN2tmQE
> A small table published there may answer part of your questions.
>
> Ant
>
> Le 17/06/16 à 00:22, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
>
> Thanks, Florence!
>>
>> I was aware of the WIGI research project (and have linked to it in the
>> ==See Also== section of my page), but I was not aware of this page.  Neat!
>> So I won't need to update my own page. :)
>>
>>    A.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Asaf
>>>
>>> Just making sure that you knew about WHGI :
>>> http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-language.html
>>>
>>> Do you know if there are differences in analysis between the two
>>> analysis ?
>>>
>>> I checked a few figures and it fits pretty well.
>>>
>>> Flo
>>>

>>> Le 16/06/16 à 21:14, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hullo everyone.

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Ting Chen-2
Hello Asaf, hello Florence,

the inbalance is surely partly due to the cultural bias (both
contemprary as well as historical) of our world. Across the cultures in
before 18th century women found less notice in the historical
documentation. As far as I know about Japanese history, this bias was
less prominant in the Japanese history, this only change since the rise
of the Shoguns (about 12th century). Could this be part of the reason of
the ja-wp result?

If it is the case than Wikipedia and Wikidata could be a very valuable
resource for cultural history researches since never before there was
such a systematic gathering of so much correlated data.

Take the 20th century, would the data reflect the change (or reluctance
to change) of the bias in art, politics and economy?

If yes, I think we should spread word inside of the research community
because in my opinion the research community had until now still didn't
pay attention to this pile of data that all the volunteers had put
together and are just waiting for them to mine.

Greetings
Ting

Am 16.06.2016 um 23:14 schrieb Florence Devouard:

> Hello Asaf,
> Just making sure that you knew about WHGI :
> http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-language.html
>
> Do you know if there are differences in analysis between the two
> analysis ?
>
> I checked a few figures and it fits pretty well.
>
> Flo
>

> Le 16/06/16 à 21:14, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
>> Hullo everyone.
>>
>> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
>> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
>> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
>> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
>> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>>
>> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
>> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a
>> table,
>> here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>>
>> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>>
>> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in
>> those
>> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>>
>> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
>> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>>
>> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
>> articles about women among all biographies.
>>
>> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.
>> Good
>> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
>> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop
>> culture
>> coverage.)
>>
>> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>>
>> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
>> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>>
>> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really
>> make a
>> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
>> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew
>> Wikipedia!
>> :)
>>
>> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.
>> Perhaps
>> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>>
>> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.
>> Or you
>> can do it yourself, too. :)
>>
>>    A.
>>
>> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
>> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Magnus Manske-2
Nepali seems to have come a long way since I ran my analysis:
http://magnusmanske.de/wordpress/?p=250
(see the big dot-plot; note that I compare the length of the articles,
rather than their number)

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:01 AM Ting Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
> >>
> >> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really
> >> make a
> >> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> >> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew
> >> Wikipedia!
> >> :)
> >>
> >> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.
> >> Perhaps
> >> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
> >>
> >> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.
> >> Or you
> >> can do it yourself, too. :)
> >>
> >>    A.
> >>
> >> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> >> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

I asked Ganesh Paudel, one of the veteran Nepali Wikipedians, to know their
story behind such astonishing statistics (48% women biographies). Here is
what he said:

'We have been conducting WikiWomen editathon since march 2013. That was
focused to increase quality n quantity of women related issues. This
focused approach might have grown the contents.'

Thanks.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hullo everyone.
>
> I was asked by a volunteer for help getting stats on the gender gap in
> content on a certain Wikipedia, and came up with simple Wikidata Query
> Service[1] queries that pulled the total number of articles on a given
> Wikipedia about men and about women, to calculate *the proportion of
> articles about women out of all articles about humans*.
>
> Then I was curious about how that wiki compared to other wikis, so I ran
> the queries on a bunch of languages, and gathered the results into a table,
> here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ijon/Content_gap
>
> (please see the *caveat* there.)
>
> I don't have time to fully write-up everything I find interesting in those
> results, but I will quickly point out the following:
>
> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.
>
> 2. Evidently, ~13%-17% seems like a robust average of the proportion of
> articles about women among all biographies.
>
> 3. among the top 10 largest wikis, Japanese is the least imbalanced.  Good
> job, Japanese Wikipedians!  I wonder if you have a good sense of what
> drives this relatively better balance. (my instinctive guess is pop culture
> coverage.)
>
> 4. among the top 10 largest wikis, Russian is the most imbalanced.
>
> 5. I intend to re-generate these stats every two months or so, to
> eventually have some sense of trends and changes.
>
> 6. Your efforts, particularly on small-to-medium wikis, can really make a
> dent in these numbers!  For example, it seems I am personally
> responsible[2] for almost 1% of the coverage of women on Hebrew Wikipedia!
> :)
>
> 7. I encourage you to share these numbers with your communities.  Perhaps
> you'd like to overtake the wiki just above yours? :)
>
> 8. I'm happy to add additional languages to the table, by request.  Or you
> can do it yourself, too. :)
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://query.wikidata.org/
> [2] Yay #100wikidays :) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/100wikidays
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fresh data on the gender gap in content

Andre Engels
On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. The Nepali statistic is simply astonishing! There must be a story
> there.  I'm keen on learning more about this, if anyone can shed light.

I looked, and it seems that a large proportion consists of porn
actresses... See the attached sample, giving an almost-randomly chosen
sample of 11 of the 1400 or so identified people on Nepali Wikipedia.

--
André Engels, [hidden email]