[Wikimedia-l] Funding a new gear for WM photographer Poco a poco

[Wikimedia-l] Funding a new gear for WM photographer Poco a poco

Santiago Navarro
Sorry for crossposting:

Help one of the best volunteer photographers in Wikimedia Commons
restore his stolen equipment.

Diego Delso is known as Poco a poco in Wikimedia Commons. In case you
don't know, Wikimedia Commons is a media file repository where anyone
can share freely-licensed content with everyone. Wikipedia uses
Wikimedia Commons as it's image repository, so, in fact, most of the
times you view an image in Wikipedia, you are actually viewing a
Wikimedia Commons image.

While Diego is just one of the thousands of Wikimedia Commons
volunteers, he is a very special one: he's one of the main Commons
contributors ever, having some amazing records, such as being the user
with the highest amount of Featured Pictures ever (153 images) and also
the one with the highest amount of quality images ever, with 5,777
Quality Images. That's an awesome amount of very high quality material,
that Diego has given to every living person for free.

Never heard about Wikimedia Commons? It's the repository that hosts
allmultimedia files that you can see (and download) in Wikipedia and all
other Wikimedia projects. Diego's files are used in those projects and
are also available for everybody else with a free license.

Furthermore, Diego has contributed in Wikimedia Commons in other ways.
One of them is by supporting (by being an organizer or a jury) two of
the most importantphotographic contests in the Wikimedia movement (and
in the world!): Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth.

Sadly, while Diego was in Buenos Aires after participating in a
Wikimedia Iberoamerican Encounter with other Wikimedia volunteers, he
got his equipment stolen. In this unfortunate event, he didn't only lost
his camera, zoom lenses and laptop, but also every single picture he
took during his 2 weeks trip in South America, which he was going to
upload to Wikimedia Commons so they could be used by everyone,
everywhere.

As Wikimedia volunteers and Diego's friends, we could not stand aside of
this, so we decided to help him to restore his equipment. You can help,
too, by contributing to this campaign!

Our goal is simple: to collect enough money to help Diego to buy exactly
the same equipment he lost.

All the gear he lost in Argentina is described below, with a reference
to the price from Amazon for the same equipment.
Tipo Modelo Preço
Camera body Canon EOS 5D Mark II $ 2,694.00
Objective fisheye f/4.0 Canon EF 8-15mm L USM $ 1,349.00
Objective wide-angle f/4.0 Canon EF 17-40mm L USM $ 839.00
Objective wide-angle to telephoto f/4.0 Canon EF 24-105mm L IS UVM $
1,149.00
Laptop Acer Aspire 1810T $ 600.00
Total $ 6,631.00

Converted to Euro (since Diego is based in Europe) that goes to 5,300
Euro + 200 euro of Indiegogo fee, which is our target to collect.

This campaign is runned on indiegogo.com and the link is
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/funding-a-new-gear-for-wm-photographer-poco-a-poco#home

You can use the short link  http://igg.me/at/pocoapoco in social
networks

Thank you

--
Santiago Navarro Sanz
Wikimedia España

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding a new gear for WM photographer Poco a poco

Russavia
(Sorry for crossposting)

This is indeed a "cause" that the entire community should get behind.

I know that normally people could apply for grants but is there anyway
that the WMF as an organisation could bypass that often long, drawn
out process and pitch in with this as well?

I have sent out a few appeals to avgeeks, seeing as he has taken
aviation photos, via twitter and other avenues. Perhaps we can get a
tweet from @wikicommons on this as well.

It's in all of our best interests to get Poco a Poco taking photos
again as soon as is possible. And I hope that insurance will be taken
out on the equipment when replaced :)

Cheers

Russavia