[Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Jean-Frédéric
Hi folks,

While watching the current changes to Wikimedia France microgrants program
implemented, I was curious to know which Wikimedia entities had similar
funding programs for individuals - how they worked, how we could learn form
each other.

Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead and
drafted <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/Funding_programs
>

I dug my information out of my email archives and FDC proposal forms, so I
could totally have missed some programs - please add the ones you know
about!

Of course, it would be more useful to have more detailed information on
every program.
Together with Caroline & Pierre-Selim we threw some ideas on what we
thought was interesting to know about the programs, but that's still very
alpha - please add more ideas!

Looking forward to your thoughts about this!

Cheers,
--
Jean-Frédéric
Wikimédia France
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Richard Nevell
Wikimedia UK offer microgrants and macrogrants. Microgrants are for sums
between £5 and £250, while macrogrants are for £250 to £2,000.

To be eligible, the applicant has to be a member of Wikimedia UK; this can
either be individual membership, or organisational.

You can read more at https://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants

Richard


On 1 September 2013 14:58, Jean-Frédéric <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> While watching the current changes to Wikimedia France microgrants program
> implemented, I was curious to know which Wikimedia entities had similar
> funding programs for individuals - how they worked, how we could learn form
> each other.
>
> Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead
> and
> drafted <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/Funding_programs
> >
>
> I dug my information out of my email archives and FDC proposal forms, so I
> could totally have missed some programs - please add the ones you know
> about!
>
> Of course, it would be more useful to have more detailed information on
> every program.
> Together with Caroline & Pierre-Selim we threw some ideas on what we
> thought was interesting to know about the programs, but that's still very
> alpha - please add more ideas!
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts about this!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jean-Frédéric
> Wikimédia France
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
Richard Nevell
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0753

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered
Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia
movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Jean-Frédéric
Jean-Frédéric, 01/09/2013 15:58:
> Hi folks,
>
> While watching the current changes to Wikimedia France microgrants program
> implemented, I was curious to know which Wikimedia entities had similar
> funding programs for individuals - how they worked, how we could learn form
> each other.
>
> Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead and
> drafted <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/Funding_programs

The relevant Meta page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants
It was written mainly with information from the Wikimania 2011 session
pad, so it may be slightly outdated. Can you please merge yours in?
Worth asking others on chapters-l.
I'm also still wondering whether WMF has some document somewhere with
reflections on their grants to individuals, which I missed in
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Retrospective_2009-2012>; of
course their case is different (way more risky and uncertain because
they of distance in all senses).

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Siko Bouterse
In reply to this post by Jean-Frédéric
I'm really happy to see this page and conversation around analyzing and
comparing various ways of grantmaking to individuals - thanks for starting
this!

Some learnings we have from the first round of IEG are posted here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Feedback/round_1_2013

We're planning to do a survey and some analysis of the Participation
Support Program in September to prepare for a revamp of that grantmaking
program and will share the learnings from that as well.

I'm particularly interested in understanding what kinds of microgrants are
working particularly well, what the most common challenges are with these
programs, and what needs are not yet being met for individuals in existing
programs...I wonder if adding a "questions" section to that page might be
useful, to help define the kinds of analysis as well?

Best wishes,
Siko


>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:58:22 +0200
> From: Jean-Frédéric <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.
> Message-ID:
>         <CADCCoo=
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi folks,
>
> While watching the current changes to Wikimedia France microgrants program
> implemented, I was curious to know which Wikimedia entities had similar
> funding programs for individuals - how they worked, how we could learn form
> each other.
>
> Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead
> and
> drafted <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/Funding_programs
> >
>
> I dug my information out of my email archives and FDC proposal forms, so I
> could totally have missed some programs - please add the ones you know
> about!
>
> Of course, it would be more useful to have more detailed information on
> every program.
> Together with Caroline & Pierre-Selim we threw some ideas on what we
> thought was interesting to know about the programs, but that's still very
> alpha - please add more ideas!
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts about this!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jean-Frédéric
> Wikimédia France
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:03:16 +0100
> From: Richard Nevell <[hidden email]>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.
> Message-ID:
>         <
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Wikimedia UK offer microgrants and macrogrants. Microgrants are for sums
> between £5 and £250, while macrogrants are for £250 to £2,000.
>
> To be eligible, the applicant has to be a member of Wikimedia UK; this can
> either be individual membership, or organisational.
>
> You can read more at https://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants
>
> Richard
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
>
> End of Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 114, Issue 2
> *******************************************
>



--
Siko Bouterse
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email]

*Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. *
*Donate <https://donate.wikimedia.org> or click the "edit" button today,
and help us make it a reality!*
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Jean-Frédéric
In reply to this post by Federico Leva (Nemo)
*Epic thread unearthing!*

Thanks to everybody who added more information - Jan, Itzik, Nicolas,
Christoph, Siko & Jessie.

  Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead
>> and
>> drafted <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/
>> Funding_programs
>>
>
> The relevant Meta page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants
> It was written mainly with information from the Wikimania 2011 session
> pad, so it may be slightly outdated. Can you please merge yours in


Nemo - I have no idea why we are moving to ElasticSearch: *you* should be
implemented as the search backend for Meta - and MediaWiki.org and Bugzilla
while we are at it ;-þ

The table is now merged in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants.
Please fix any oversight I may have made in the process, and add any
missing information.

(It is my understanding that grantmaking programs will be a focus of the
next Wikimedia Conference - I look forward more conversation happening on
this topic!)

Cheers,
--
Jean-Fred
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

metasj
+1 to moving from ElasticSearch to NemoFind.

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Jean-Frédéric
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Epic thread unearthing!*
>
> Thanks to everybody who added more information - Jan, Itzik, Nicolas,
> Christoph, Siko & Jessie.
>
>   Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead
>>> and
>>> drafted <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/
>>> Funding_programs
>>>
>>
>> The relevant Meta page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants
>> It was written mainly with information from the Wikimania 2011 session
>> pad, so it may be slightly outdated. Can you please merge yours in
>
>
> Nemo - I have no idea why we are moving to ElasticSearch: *you* should be
> implemented as the search backend for Meta - and MediaWiki.org and Bugzilla
> while we are at it ;-þ
>
> The table is now merged in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants.
> Please fix any oversight I may have made in the process, and add any
> missing information.
>
> (It is my understanding that grantmaking programs will be a focus of the
> next Wikimedia Conference - I look forward more conversation happening on
> this topic!)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jean-Fred
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>



--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Cristian Consonni
2014-03-02 1:36 GMT+01:00 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
> +1 to moving from ElasticSearch to NemoFind.

I am sorry, but NemoFind is a trademark of WM-IT.
Now we are going to ask him how to sue you for trademark infringement,
since, you know, he already has experience in the field.

(Epic troll is epic)

C

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Denis Barthel-2
In reply to this post by Jean-Frédéric
Omg, I totally missed this thread when it started originally.

As Wikimedia Deutschland has an extensive history in individual grantmaking
and is currently running more than a dozen programs, please allow me to add
a link to our overview-page in the German Wikipedia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:F%C3%B6rderung (German only, sorry,
but Google Translate should do it)

Sorry for being so utterly late, but I hope this link is still of use? In
case you need some more explanations in detail, please feel free to consult
me here or offlist.

Best regards,
Denis Barthel

--

Team Communitys
(Bereichsleitung)

Head of Volunteer Support Dept.
Mobil +49 172 23 13 811

E-Mail: [hidden email]

--

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin

Tel. (030) 219 158 260
*Epic thread unearthing!*

Thanks to everybody who added more information - Jan, Itzik, Nicolas,
Christoph, Siko & Jessie.

  Since apparently there was no Meta page for that(tm) (yet!) I went ahead
>> and
>> drafted <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jean-Frédéric/
>> Funding_programs
>>
>
> The relevant Meta page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants
> It was written mainly with information from the Wikimania 2011 session
> pad, so it may be slightly outdated. Can you please merge yours in


Nemo - I have no idea why we are moving to ElasticSearch: *you* should be
implemented as the search backend for Meta - and MediaWiki.org and Bugzilla
while we are at it ;-þ

The table is now merged in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants.
Please fix any oversight I may have made in the process, and add any
missing information.

(It is my understanding that grantmaking programs will be a focus of the
next Wikimedia Conference - I look forward more conversation happening on
this topic!)

Cheers,
--
Jean-Fred
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

metasj
In reply to this post by Cristian Consonni
Denis: I found it useful, thank you.  I believe there is a long
history of this in other chapters as well, such as Wikimedia Polska.
Are other grantmaking overviews published online?


On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Cristian Consonni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2014-03-02 1:36 GMT+01:00 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
>> +1 to moving from ElasticSearch to NemoFind.
>
> I am sorry, but NemoFind is a trademark of WM-IT.

Prior claim: Disney
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7365379072/h0C8A494A/

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Jane Darnell
I just found this link serendipitously while asking for help at the
village pump in order to translate the IEG grant process pages into
Dutch:
https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorie:Financi%C3%ABle_Ondersteuning_Kleine_Activiteiten

I knew we had the "Support small projects" program within WMNL, but I
didn't know we had reports too!

2014-03-03 1:46 GMT+01:00, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:

> Denis: I found it useful, thank you.  I believe there is a long
> history of this in other chapters as well, such as Wikimedia Polska.
> Are other grantmaking overviews published online?
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Cristian Consonni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2014-03-02 1:36 GMT+01:00 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
>>> +1 to moving from ElasticSearch to NemoFind.
>>
>> I am sorry, but NemoFind is a trademark of WM-IT.
>
> Prior claim: Disney
> https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7365379072/h0C8A494A/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Jane Darnell
Um, definitely a +1 for claiming NemoFind as official WMF trademark btw

2014-03-04 9:55 GMT+01:00, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]>:

> I just found this link serendipitously while asking for help at the
> village pump in order to translate the IEG grant process pages into
> Dutch:
> https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorie:Financi%C3%ABle_Ondersteuning_Kleine_Activiteiten
>
> I knew we had the "Support small projects" program within WMNL, but I
> didn't know we had reports too!
>
> 2014-03-03 1:46 GMT+01:00, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
>> Denis: I found it useful, thank you.  I believe there is a long
>> history of this in other chapters as well, such as Wikimedia Polska.
>> Are other grantmaking overviews published online?
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Cristian Consonni
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> 2014-03-02 1:36 GMT+01:00 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
>>>> +1 to moving from ElasticSearch to NemoFind.
>>>
>>> I am sorry, but NemoFind is a trademark of WM-IT.
>>
>> Prior claim: Disney
>> https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7365379072/h0C8A494A/
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding programs for individuals.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Jane Darnell, 04/03/2014 09:56:
> Um, definitely a +1 for claiming NemoFind as official WMF trademark btw

Ugh.

> [...]
>> 2014-03-03 1:46 GMT+01:00, Samuel Klein  [...]
>>>
>>> Prior claim: Disney
>>> https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7365379072/h0C8A494A/

Priorer: Jules Verne, 1870, as tranlated in
<http://books.google.it/books?id=4_IVN_l3i8UC&pg=PA147&dq=%22nemo+found%22>.

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>