[Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Rogol Domedonfors
I was surprised to read the record
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_of_Endowment_funding_(Fiscal_Year_2016-2017)_and_matching_$5_million_gift_from_Peter_Baldwin_and_Lisbet_Rausing
of the decision to place $5M into the endowment.  After the anouncement by
Lisa Gruwell on this list
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-December/085712.html
there was a discussion of what might be done with the funds raised, and a
number of suggestions were made for how these funds could be used to
directly support the work of the volunteers who contribute the content to
the projects, such as
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-January/085835.html.

It is disappointing that the Board has chosen not to fund support of this
kind.  What is more than disappointing, but positively disturbing is that
the decision was made in the light of an offer from a donor to match the
sum put into the endowment.  I suggest that this was not a fair offer, and
the Board's decision was the wrong one.  Effectively this donor has said to
the Board that they will pay the Foundation not to support the volunteers,
and the Board has agreed to follow their wishes.  If the donor believes so
strongly in the necessity to build up the mission by means of an Endowment,
why did they not simply gift the money directly into the endowment without
conditions?  Equally, if the donor believes so strongly that money should
not be spent supporting the volunteer community, then I challenge them to
say so explicitly in public and to defend their position.

I call on the Board to explain to the community of volunteers precisely why
they have chosen not to offer that support to the community and to state
that they will not allow future decisions of this nature to be influenced
by the wishes of one donor, however generous.

"Rogol"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Lodewijk
Thanks for the link, Rogol. It is wonderful to hear that these generous
donors have decided to match a deposit of $5 million into the endowment.

It is always a good thing if someone from the board could expand on what
(if anything) the board is planning to do with the proposed expenses. The
way you're framing this decision is not something I consider fair.

Best,
Lodewijk

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was surprised to read the record
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_
> of_Endowment_funding_(Fiscal_Year_2016-2017)_and_matching_$
> 5_million_gift_from_Peter_Baldwin_and_Lisbet_Rausing
> of the decision to place $5M into the endowment.  After the anouncement by
> Lisa Gruwell on this list
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-
> December/085712.html
> there was a discussion of what might be done with the funds raised, and a
> number of suggestions were made for how these funds could be used to
> directly support the work of the volunteers who contribute the content to
> the projects, such as
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-January/085835.html
> .
>
> It is disappointing that the Board has chosen not to fund support of this
> kind.  What is more than disappointing, but positively disturbing is that
> the decision was made in the light of an offer from a donor to match the
> sum put into the endowment.  I suggest that this was not a fair offer, and
> the Board's decision was the wrong one.  Effectively this donor has said to
> the Board that they will pay the Foundation not to support the volunteers,
> and the Board has agreed to follow their wishes.  If the donor believes so
> strongly in the necessity to build up the mission by means of an Endowment,
> why did they not simply gift the money directly into the endowment without
> conditions?  Equally, if the donor believes so strongly that money should
> not be spent supporting the volunteer community, then I challenge them to
> say so explicitly in public and to defend their position.
>
> I call on the Board to explain to the community of volunteers precisely why
> they have chosen not to offer that support to the community and to state
> that they will not allow future decisions of this nature to be influenced
> by the wishes of one donor, however generous.
>
> "Rogol"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Vi to
Caveat: I support a definitely more frugal WMF so also the endowment.

Try to read it from a different perspective. Before donating *lots* of
money donor wants to be sure WMF will be truly committed in pursuing the
plan of an endowment. Putting the same amount of money is a prove, for
donors, WMF truly wants to create an endowment.

Vito

> I was surprised to read the record
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_
> of_Endowment_funding_(Fiscal_Year_2016-2017)_and_matching_$
> 5_million_gift_from_Peter_Baldwin_and_Lisbet_Rausing
> of the decision to place $5M into the endowment.  After the anouncement by
> Lisa Gruwell on this list
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-
> December/085712.html
> there was a discussion of what might be done with the funds raised, and a
> number of suggestions were made for how these funds could be used to
> directly support the work of the volunteers who contribute the content to
> the projects, such as
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-January/085835.html
> .
>
> It is disappointing that the Board has chosen not to fund support of this
> kind.  What is more than disappointing, but positively disturbing is that
> the decision was made in the light of an offer from a donor to match the
> sum put into the endowment.  I suggest that this was not a fair offer, and
> the Board's decision was the wrong one.  Effectively this donor has said to
> the Board that they will pay the Foundation not to support the volunteers,
> and the Board has agreed to follow their wishes.  If the donor believes so
> strongly in the necessity to build up the mission by means of an Endowment,
> why did they not simply gift the money directly into the endowment without
> conditions?  Equally, if the donor believes so strongly that money should
> not be spent supporting the volunteer community, then I challenge them to
> say so explicitly in public and to defend their position.
>
> I call on the Board to explain to the community of volunteers precisely why
> they have chosen not to offer that support to the community and to state
> that they will not allow future decisions of this nature to be influenced
> by the wishes of one donor, however generous.
>
> "Rogol"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Yaroslav Blanter
I am often critical of WMF, but I can only support this decision. The idea
of creating of an environment was widely discussed in the community,
including this mailing list, and had a widespread support. WMF merely
follows the community wish in this case, and it is great to know that a
donor agreed to match this amount.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Caveat: I support a definitely more frugal WMF so also the endowment.
>
> Try to read it from a different perspective. Before donating *lots* of
> money donor wants to be sure WMF will be truly committed in pursuing the
> plan of an endowment. Putting the same amount of money is a prove, for
> donors, WMF truly wants to create an endowment.
>
> Vito

> > I was surprised to read the record
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_
> > of_Endowment_funding_(Fiscal_Year_2016-2017)_and_matching_$
> > 5_million_gift_from_Peter_Baldwin_and_Lisbet_Rausing
> > of the decision to place $5M into the endowment.  After the anouncement
> by
> > Lisa Gruwell on this list
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-
> > December/085712.html
> > there was a discussion of what might be done with the funds raised, and a
> > number of suggestions were made for how these funds could be used to
> > directly support the work of the volunteers who contribute the content to
> > the projects, such as
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-
> January/085835.html
> > .
> >
> > It is disappointing that the Board has chosen not to fund support of this
> > kind.  What is more than disappointing, but positively disturbing is that
> > the decision was made in the light of an offer from a donor to match the
> > sum put into the endowment.  I suggest that this was not a fair offer,
> and
> > the Board's decision was the wrong one.  Effectively this donor has said
> > the Board that they will pay the Foundation not to support the
> volunteers,
> > and the Board has agreed to follow their wishes.  If the donor believes
> so
> > strongly in the necessity to build up the mission by means of an
> Endowment,
> > why did they not simply gift the money directly into the endowment
> without
> > conditions?  Equally, if the donor believes so strongly that money should
> > not be spent supporting the volunteer community, then I challenge them to
> > say so explicitly in public and to defend their position.
> >
> > I call on the Board to explain to the community of volunteers precisely
> why
> > they have chosen not to offer that support to the community and to state
> > that they will not allow future decisions of this nature to be influenced
> > by the wishes of one donor, however generous.
> >
> > "Rogol"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Rogol Domedonfors
I'm know that the WMF has determined that it should have some form of
endowment,  The question is -- as is usual in question of this sort -- one
of balance: in this case, balance between current spending for the benefit
of the projects today, and accumulating capital for the benefit of the
projects tomorrow.  I am asking the Board to say why they decided to strike
that balance where they did -- given the obvious need for that support
right now -- and whether it is appropriate for large donors to apparently
influence that decision.

Reinhard

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > so
> > > strongly in the necessity to build up the mission by means of an
> > Endowment,
> > > why did they not simply gift the money directly into the endowment
> > without
> > > conditions?  Equally, if the donor believes so strongly that money
> should
> > > not be spent supporting the volunteer community, then I challenge them
> > > say so explicitly in public and to defend their position.
> > >
> > > I call on the Board to explain to the community of volunteers precisely
> > why
> > > they have chosen not to offer that support to the community and to
> state
> > > that they will not allow future decisions of this nature to be
> influenced
> > > by the wishes of one donor, however generous.

jmh649
My personal position is it is critical to have a stable organization before
growing. The WMF has achieved greater stability over the last 1.5 years so
I think further growth is becoming again a good idea.

James

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm know that the WMF has determined that it should have some form of
> endowment,  The question is -- as is usual in question of this sort -- one
> of balance: in this case, balance between current spending for the benefit
> of the projects today, and accumulating capital for the benefit of the
> projects tomorrow.  I am asking the Board to say why they decided to strike
> that balance where they did -- given the obvious need for that support
> right now -- and whether it is appropriate for large donors to apparently
> influence that decision.
>
> Reinhard
>
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am often critical of WMF, but I can only support this decision. The
> idea
> > of creating of an environment was widely discussed in the community,
> > including this mailing list, and had a widespread support. WMF merely
> > follows the community wish in this case, and it is great to know that a
> > donor agreed to match this amount.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Caveat: I support a definitely more frugal WMF so also the endowment.
> > >
> > > Try to read it from a different perspective. Before donating *lots* of
> > > money donor wants to be sure WMF will be truly committed in pursuing
> the
> > > plan of an endowment. Putting the same amount of money is a prove, for
> > > donors, WMF truly wants to create an endowment.
> > >
> > > Vito

> anouncement
> > > by
> > and a
> content
> > > January/085835.html

> > this
> > that
> > the
> offer,
> > > and
> > said
> > > volunteers,
> believes
> > > so
> > > Endowment,
> > > without
> > should
> them

> precisely
> > > why
> > state
> > influenced

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Strainu
Both stability and growth come at a cost - is that cost acceptable?
The way I understand it from the mid-year fundrasing report in
January, the $5M were on top of the fundraising target, basically
gathered by exposing our readers to more banners than needed. My
opinion is that's a very high price to pay and that there should be
more stringent rules regarding continuing fundraisers after their
target has been reached (which in turn will probably require even
better planning, including for the Endowment).

As to whether some donor influenced the Board's decision, that
statement looks really far-fetched based on available information. It
sounds more like an opportunity that either appeared or was created
after the $5M target had been set.

Strainu

> My personal position is it is critical to have a stable organization before
> growing. The WMF has achieved greater stability over the last 1.5 years so
> I think further growth is becoming again a good idea.
>
> James
>
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm know that the WMF has determined that it should have some form of
>> endowment,  The question is -- as is usual in question of this sort -- one
>> of balance: in this case, balance between current spending for the benefit
>> of the projects today, and accumulating capital for the benefit of the
>> projects tomorrow.  I am asking the Board to say why they decided to strike
>> that balance where they did -- given the obvious need for that support
>> right now -- and whether it is appropriate for large donors to apparently
>> influence that decision.
>>
>> Reinhard
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I am often critical of WMF, but I can only support this decision. The
>> idea
>> > of creating of an environment was widely discussed in the community,
>> > including this mailing list, and had a widespread support. WMF merely
>> > follows the community wish in this case, and it is great to know that a
>> > donor agreed to match this amount.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Yaroslav

>> the

>> anouncement
>> > and a
>> content

>> > this
>> > that
>> > the
>> offer,
>> > said
>> believes
>> > should
>> them

>> precisely
>> > state
>> > influenced

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Andrea Zanni-2
Personally I think the endowment is a great idea,
stability and growth for our movement are paramount, IF, we use our money
in the best way we can.

I also don't really care about how big the banner is: it's a minor
inconvenience to click the "Hide" button (provided that we are able to hide
automatically the button for those who actually donated: they deserve a
bannerless page. I remember some complaints during the years about this).

What it's more important to me is where are we putting donors' money, both
in terms of endowment and actual spending.
The WMF is spending money to serve the movement, and how effective and
efficient they are
should be our only focus.

Regarding the endowment, the only little complaint I have is *where* we are
investing those money.
Reading the documentation page [1], I don't see mentioned anything
regarding
ethical or socially responsible investing (SRI).

There are many funds (of stocks or ETFs) that manage selected "ethical"
financial products:
these are also our values, and I think we should put donors' money where
our mouth is.
(I get that sometimes non-ethical investments yield more money, but at
least we should have this discussion)

Aubrey

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Endowment

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both stability and growth come at a cost - is that cost acceptable?
> The way I understand it from the mid-year fundrasing report in
> January, the $5M were on top of the fundraising target, basically
> gathered by exposing our readers to more banners than needed. My
> opinion is that's a very high price to pay and that there should be
> more stringent rules regarding continuing fundraisers after their
> target has been reached (which in turn will probably require even
> better planning, including for the Endowment).
>
> As to whether some donor influenced the Board's decision, that
> statement looks really far-fetched based on available information. It
> sounds more like an opportunity that either appeared or was created
> after the $5M target had been set.
>
> Strainu

> > My personal position is it is critical to have a stable organization
> before
> > growing. The WMF has achieved greater stability over the last 1.5 years
> so
> > I think further growth is becoming again a good idea.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm know that the WMF has determined that it should have some form of
> >> endowment,  The question is -- as is usual in question of this sort --
> one
> >> of balance: in this case, balance between current spending for the
> benefit
> >> of the projects today, and accumulating capital for the benefit of the
> >> projects tomorrow.  I am asking the Board to say why they decided to
> strike
> >> that balance where they did -- given the obvious need for that support
> >> right now -- and whether it is appropriate for large donors to
> apparently
> >> influence that decision.
> >>
> >> Reinhard

> >> idea

> endowment.

> of
> >> the
> for

> >:

> >> anouncement
> raised,
> >> content

> of
> is
> match
> >> offer,
> has
> >> believes
> >> them

> >> precisely

> unsubscribe>
> unsubscribe>

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

jmh649
Andrea I agree completely that movement monies should be invested inline
with our values. We should not be invested in stuff that promotes war or
surveillance for example. I would image this is currently the case but
would have to verify.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > more stringent rules regarding continuing fundraisers after their
> > target has been reached (which in turn will probably require even
> > better planning, including for the Endowment).
> >
> > As to whether some donor influenced the Board's decision, that
> > statement looks really far-fetched based on available information. It
> > sounds more like an opportunity that either appeared or was created
> > after the $5M target had been set.
> >
> > Strainu

> > > My personal position is it is critical to have a stable organization
> > before
> > > growing. The WMF has achieved greater stability over the last 1.5 years
> > so
> > > I think further growth is becoming again a good idea.
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <

Cristian Consonni-3
On 22/08/2017 17:03, James Heilman wrote:
> Andrea I agree completely that movement monies should be invested inline
> with our values. We should not be invested in stuff that promotes war or
> surveillance for example. I would image this is currently the case but
> would have to verify.

I wholeheartedly agree with Andrea.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

jmh649
I have been send further details. As expected Tides (who runs our
endowment) has a strong philosophy around social justice.

https://www.tides.org/

James

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 22/08/2017 17:03, James Heilman wrote:
> > Andrea I agree completely that movement monies should be invested inline
> > with our values. We should not be invested in stuff that promotes war or
> > surveillance for example. I would image this is currently the case but
> > would have to verify.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with Andrea.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Lisa Gruwell
Just jumping in with a few points of information regarding the Endowment:

1) I met with Lukas at Wikimania regarding SRI and the endowment.  As James
indicated, the endowment is invested through the Tides Foundation and this
is one of the areas of expertise.  We have been looking at environmental,
social, and governance (ESG) ratings as well as how funds perform against
the benchmarks financially.  We are going to be publishing more information
about this soon.

2) Regarding the matching grant, this funder has made large grants to the
Wikimedia Foundation for general support for our annual work for almost a
decade.  They have also now provided major support to the endowment.  They
have provided generous support for our present work and our future work.
It is positive thing that this grant was positioned as a matching grant.
It doubles the impact of a portion of the contributions that our online
donors made this year.  It is a great story that we are sharing with other
potential endowment donors.  We are hoping to find another major donor (or
donors) that will match the $5 million for the endowment that is in the FY
2017-18 annual plan as well.

Best,
Lisa

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been send further details. As expected Tides (who runs our
> endowment) has a strong philosophy around social justice.
>
> https://www.tides.org/
>
> James
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 22/08/2017 17:03, James Heilman wrote:
> > > Andrea I agree completely that movement monies should be invested
> inline
> > > with our values. We should not be invested in stuff that promotes war
> or
> > > surveillance for example. I would image this is currently the case but
> > > would have to verify.
> >
> > I wholeheartedly agree with Andrea.

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Rogol Domedonfors
Lisa

Thanks for that explanation.  If it had already been decided to contribute
the $5M to the Endowment before the offer of matching funds, then there
would be no appearance of the offer influencing the Board's decision.  Can
you confirm that was the case?  But the main point of my question to the
Board is to ask why they decided that placing this large sum into the
Endowment was more important than using it to support the work of the
volunteer community (whether or not the offer of matching funds was part of
that decision) directly.  Can you throw any light on their reasons?

Rudyard

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Just jumping in with a few points of information regarding the Endowment:
>
> 1) I met with Lukas at Wikimania regarding SRI and the endowment.  As James
> indicated, the endowment is invested through the Tides Foundation and this
> is one of the areas of expertise.  We have been looking at environmental,
> social, and governance (ESG) ratings as well as how funds perform against
> the benchmarks financially.  We are going to be publishing more information
> about this soon.
>
> 2) Regarding the matching grant, this funder has made large grants to the
> Wikimedia Foundation for general support for our annual work for almost a
> decade.  They have also now provided major support to the endowment.  They
> have provided generous support for our present work and our future work.
> It is positive thing that this grant was positioned as a matching grant.
> It doubles the impact of a portion of the contributions that our online
> donors made this year.  It is a great story that we are sharing with other
> potential endowment donors.  We are hoping to find another major donor (or
> donors) that will match the $5 million for the endowment that is in the FY
> 2017-18 annual plan as well.
>
> Best,
> Lisa
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have been send further details. As expected Tides (who runs our
> > endowment) has a strong philosophy around social justice.
> >
> > https://www.tides.org/
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > inline
> > or
> but
> > >
> > > I wholeheartedly agree with Andrea.

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Lisa Gruwell
Sorry, I wasn't at the meeting, so I can't speak to that.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > It doubles the impact of a portion of the contributions that our online
> > donors made this year.  It is a great story that we are sharing with
> other
> > potential endowment donors.  We are hoping to find another major donor
> (or
> > donors) that will match the $5 million for the endowment that is in the
> FY
> > 2017-18 annual plan as well.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lisa
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have been send further details. As expected Tides (who runs our
> > > endowment) has a strong philosophy around social justice.
> > >
> > > https://www.tides.org/
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Cristian Consonni <

Thanks anyway.  Perhaps one of the members of the Board will comment, in
the interests of transparency.

Ronald

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't at the meeting, so I can't speak to that.
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Lisa
> >
> > Thanks for that explanation.  If it had already been decided to
> contribute
> > the $5M to the Endowment before the offer of matching funds, then there
> > would be no appearance of the offer influencing the Board's decision.
> Can
> > you confirm that was the case?  But the main point of my question to the
> > Board is to ask why they decided that placing this large sum into the
> > Endowment was more important than using it to support the work of the
> > volunteer community (whether or not the offer of matching funds was part
> of
> > that decision) directly.  Can you throw any light on their reasons?
> >
> > Rudyard
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Just jumping in with a few points of information regarding the
> Endowment:
> > >
> > > 1) I met with Lukas at Wikimania regarding SRI and the endowment.  As
> > James
> > > indicated, the endowment is invested through the Tides Foundation and
> > this
> > > is one of the areas of expertise.  We have been looking at
> environmental,
> > > social, and governance (ESG) ratings as well as how funds perform
> against
> > > the benchmarks financially.  We are going to be publishing more
> > information
> > > about this soon.
> > >
> > > 2) Regarding the matching grant, this funder has made large grants to
> the
> > > Wikimedia Foundation for general support for our annual work for
> almost a
> > > decade.  They have also now provided major support to the endowment.
> > They
> > > have provided generous support for our present work and our future
> work.
> > > It is positive thing that this grant was positioned as a matching
> grant.
> > > It doubles the impact of a portion of the contributions that our online
> > > donors made this year.  It is a great story that we are sharing with
> > other
> > > potential endowment donors.  We are hoping to find another major donor
> > (or
> > > donors) that will match the $5 million for the endowment that is in the
> > FY
> > > 2017-18 annual plan as well.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Lisa

> > [hidden email]>

> > war
> case
> > > but

> unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Joseph Seddon-6
Rogol I don't understanding how you have interpreted this as a choice
between community and stability.

Could you explain?

Seddon

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Lisa
>
> Thanks anyway.  Perhaps one of the members of the Board will comment, in
> the interests of transparency.
>
> Ronald
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I wasn't at the meeting, so I can't speak to that.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Lisa
> > >
> > > Thanks for that explanation.  If it had already been decided to
> > contribute
> > > the $5M to the Endowment before the offer of matching funds, then there
> > > would be no appearance of the offer influencing the Board's decision.
> > Can
> > > you confirm that was the case?  But the main point of my question to
> the
> > > Board is to ask why they decided that placing this large sum into the
> > > Endowment was more important than using it to support the work of the
> > > volunteer community (whether or not the offer of matching funds was
> part
> > of
> > > that decision) directly.  Can you throw any light on their reasons?
> > >
> > > Rudyard

> > Endowment:

> > > James
> > > this
> > environmental,
> > against
> > > information

> > the
> > almost a
> > > They
> > work.
> > grant.
> online
> > > other
> donor
> > > (or
> the
> > > FY

> > > [hidden email]>

> invested
> promotes
> > > war
> > case

> > unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>

Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Rogol Domedonfors
James

Certainly.  When the probability of last year's fundraising effort
generating more income than had been expected emerged, there was a
discussion here about how that "surplus" might be used.  There were some
suggestions for using it to directly assist the members of the volunteer
community in their work of contributing content -- such as funding books,
on- and off-line library subscriptions, for the content contributors -- or
improving the contributing environment -- such as hiring more devs for
community tech projects -- or building the community -- such as extra
funding for community events.  That money, once gone, would be gone
forever, and there is the risk that further donations would not be
forthcoming at the same rate.  The alternative, which was adopted, was to
give it to the Endowment to generate a permanent income which might be used
to fund such acitivities in the future.  That money once in the Endowment
is, presumably, always in the Endowment, and the income can be relied on to
a reasonable extent.

The Board has chosen to favour long-term stability over short-term content
contribution.  That is clearly their prerogative, but it is a choice, and a
choice that affects the community her and now.  It seems reasonable to ask
the Board to explain to the community, who provide the content, and whose
work sustains the entire mission, and which ultimately motivates people to
make such generous donations, why, given that opportunity, they did not see
it as so important to give them more in the way of direct help in
contributing that content and building that community.

Rod

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Rogol I don't understanding how you have interpreted this as a choice
> between community and stability.
>
> Could you explain?
>
> Seddon
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Lisa
> >
> > Thanks anyway.  Perhaps one of the members of the Board will comment, in
> > the interests of transparency.
> >
> > Ronald
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, I wasn't at the meeting, so I can't speak to that.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <
> > [hidden email]

> > > contribute
> there
> > > Can
> > the
> > part
> > > of

> [hidden email]>

> > > Endowment:

> As
> and
> > > environmental,
> > > against

> > > the
> > > almost a
> endowment.
> > > work.
> > > grant.
> > online
> with
> > donor
> > the

> > invested
> > promotes
> > > case

> > > unsubscribe>

> > unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>

> Seddon
>
> *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> *Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Andrea Zanni-2
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Just jumping in with a few points of information regarding the Endowment:
>
> 1) I met with Lukas at Wikimania regarding SRI and the endowment.  As James
> indicated, the endowment is invested through the Tides Foundation and this
> is one of the areas of expertise.  We have been looking at environmental,
> social, and governance (ESG) ratings as well as how funds perform against
> the benchmarks financially.  We are going to be publishing more information
> about this soon.

Thank you Lisa, I stand corrected.

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

James Salsman-2
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:38 AM, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>... regarding the Endowment:
>
> 1) I met with Lukas at Wikimania regarding SRI and the endowment.  As James
> indicated, the endowment is invested through the Tides Foundation and this
> is one of the areas of expertise.  We have been looking at environmental,
> social, and governance (ESG) ratings as well as how funds perform against
> the benchmarks financially.  We are going to be publishing more information
> about this soon.

I am very much looking forward to that. I hope the recommendations
will be congruent with https://imgur.com/a/Op5UT

When I look at https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/what-you-need-to-know-about-ethical-investment/
I am not always inspired that the managers' goals are to maximize
years of productive life.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funding the endowment

Jimmy Wales-5
On 8/21/17 6:48 PM, Rogol Domedonfors wrote:
> I'm know that the WMF has determined that it should have some form of
> endowment,  The question is -- as is usual in question of this sort -- one
> of balance: in this case, balance between current spending for the benefit
> of the projects today, and accumulating capital for the benefit of the
> projects tomorrow.  I am asking the Board to say why they decided to strike
> that balance where they did -- given the obvious need for that support
> right now -- and whether it is appropriate for large donors to apparently
> influence that decision.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself.

Given the level of reserves that the WMF has today, your entire approach
here (the assumption that $5 million going into the endowment therefore
reduces spending) is invalid.  There is enough money to do both.

The question is therefore not "Why did you save the money for the future
rather than spend it today?"

The question is: why don't we increase spending today?

We have always followed, and should continue to follow, a thoughtful
process of strategic planning and budgeting.  A windfall of cash from a
successful fundraising should never give rise to immediate and poorly
planned spending.

If you believe, as I do, that we have a great opportunity to responsibly
spend more money at the Foundation on suporting the projects in the next
few years - then please support the strategic planning process - that's
the right forum to have a voice in what happens next.

Random demands for explanations on the mailing list - particulary when
so fundamentally mistaken in basic assumptions - aren't really helpful.

--Jimbo