[Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

[Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

Risker
Dear Wikimedians,

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets twice a year to make
recommendations about how to effectively allocate movement funds to achieve
the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy.  This is now the
9th round of allocations made by the FDC, and we met in person from May
12-14, 2017 in Warsaw to deliberate on 4 proposals submitted this round, as
well as to provide feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation draft Annual Plan.
We would like to thank all of the participating organizations for the hard
work they put into this round’s proposals.

Our recommendations for Round 2 2016-2017 on the annual plan grants to the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees have now been posted on Meta.[1] The
Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by July 1, 2017.

We received grant requests for approximately USD 1,430,000 this round.
Before we met, committee members reviewed all of the proposals and
documents submitted.  We were assisted in this review with input from the
FDC staff assessments which included analysis on impact, finances, and
programs, as well as community comments on the proposals.

As you may know, there is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals
about these recommendations. Here are the steps for both:

Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s Round 1
recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives to the FDC by
23:59 UTC on 8 June 2017 in accord with the appeal process outlined in the
FDC Framework [2]. A formal appeal to challenge the FDC’s recommendation
should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word summary directed to the two
non-voting WMF Board representatives to the FDC, Dariusz Jemielniak and
Christophe Henner. The appeal should be submitted on-wiki, and must be
submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking applicant. The Wikimedia
Foundation Board will publish its decision on this and all recommendations
by July 1, 2017.

Anyone can file a complaint about the FDC process [3] with the Ombudsperson
at any time. The complaint should be submitted on wiki, as well. The
Ombudsperson will publicly document the complaint, and investigate as
needed.

On behalf of the FDC,

Anne Clin / Risker

FDC Chair

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2016-2017_round_2

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Appeals_to_the_Board_on_the_
recommendations_of_the_FDC

[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Complaints_
about_the_FDC_process

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

rupert THURNER-2
Why the amount is missing for the WMF?

Rupert

On 16 May 2017 at 11:52, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why the amount is missing for the WMF?
>
> Rupert

Hello Rupert -

The Funds Dissemination Committee is not tasked with recommending funding
for the Wikimedia Foundation; the committee only reviews and provides
feedback on the draft annual plan.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

Pine W
For what it's worth, there has been previous discussions of having external
reviews of WMF spending, such as a peer review from a similar institution.
I think that this is a good idea. This also fits in with my long-standing
hope that WMF will become more transparent with its financial expenditures.

Pine

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 May 2017 at 11:52, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Why the amount is missing for the WMF?
> >
> > Rupert
> >

> Hello Rupert -
>
> The Funds Dissemination Committee is not tasked with recommending funding
> for the Wikimedia Foundation; the committee only reviews and provides
> feedback on the draft annual plan.
>
> Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

rupert THURNER-2
To be clear I did only suggest to list a number for the activities the fdc
gives a comment. I e. Fill out the first column and put a not applicable in
the recommended money column.

On May 17, 2017 04:25, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For what it's worth, there has been previous discussions of having external
> reviews of WMF spending, such as a peer review from a similar institution.
> I think that this is a good idea. This also fits in with my long-standing
> hope that WMF will become more transparent with its financial expenditures.
>
> Pine
>

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 16 May 2017 at 11:52, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Why the amount is missing for the WMF?
> > >
> > > Rupert
> > >

> > Hello Rupert -
> >
> > The Funds Dissemination Committee is not tasked with recommending funding
> > for the Wikimedia Foundation; the committee only reviews and provides
> > feedback on the draft annual plan.
> >
> > Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Funds Dissemination Committee Recommendations - Round 2 of 2016-17

Pine W
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking that you were referring to both the
request column and the recommendation column.

Perhaps WMF, affiliate, and community finances will be discussed as a part
of the strategy process, probably not so much during the goal-setting phase
but more during the follow-up when I hope that SMART goals will be
designated and the questions of "how do we get there from here?" will be
addressed.

Pine