[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Avoiding sensory overload at Wikimedia Events

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Avoiding sensory overload at Wikimedia Events

Michelle Boon
Dear all,

Like many other affiliates, Wikimedia Nederland hosts several events per
year. We do our best to make these events an inclusive and pleasant
environment for all participants.

Last summer, there was a mail thread on Wikimedia-l
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2018-August/090914.html>
on sensory overload <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_overload> at
Wikimedia events. We would like to learn how we can adapt our events to
support people who experience sensory overload during events. With this we
hope to create a safe and pleasant environment for all.

In order to learn, we want to hear from you. We therefore made a page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland/Organising_events:_avoiding_sensory_overload>with
more information about this initiative. On the talkpage
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Nederland/Organising_events:_avoiding_sensory_overload>there
is room for sharing ideas and experiences, and discussing  potential
solutions.

Kind Regards,

Michelle Boon
Event Organiser & Community Support
Wikimedia Nederland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Avoiding sensory overload at Wikimedia Events

Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l
Hi Michelle,

 during the francophone wikiconvention we had a special calm room for people who need to retire a moment from the crowd because of special needs they could have. We were asked also not to come nearby with perfumes and other sensory distractions.

A calm room for other people (breastfeeding moms, tired or stressed out speakers ect), anybody needing a little rest would be real cool I think.

Also we were given advice at the beginning of the convention that we should not force people to present themselves in a group and accept the idea of touching people can be felt as being intrusive for some.

Kind regards,

Natacha / Nattes à chat

> Le 15 oct. 2018 à 15:38, Michelle Boon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear all,
>
> Like many other affiliates, Wikimedia Nederland hosts several events per
> year. We do our best to make these events an inclusive and pleasant
> environment for all participants.
>
> Last summer, there was a mail thread on Wikimedia-l
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2018-August/090914.html>
> on sensory overload <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_overload> at
> Wikimedia events. We would like to learn how we can adapt our events to
> support people who experience sensory overload during events. With this we
> hope to create a safe and pleasant environment for all.
>
> In order to learn, we want to hear from you. We therefore made a page
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland/Organising_events:_avoiding_sensory_overload>with
> more information about this initiative. On the talkpage
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Nederland/Organising_events:_avoiding_sensory_overload>there
> is room for sharing ideas and experiences, and discussing  potential
> solutions.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Michelle Boon
> Event Organiser & Community Support
> Wikimedia Nederland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Avoiding sensory overload at Wikimedia Events

Philippe Beaudette-4
When I was at the WMF, one of the things that I most appreciated about
Gayle, our CTCO at the time, was that she always made sure there were
spaces where I, or other deep introverts, could go to reset.  What I liked
about it was that she always had them adjacent to the main activities - for
instance, I could go to a corner of the main area and be alone while
listening to the speaker, as opposed to being surrounded by coworkers at a
table.  I could still engage, but could do it in an area of relative calm.
I would encourage that type of thinking - not just a "total disconnect and
withdraw" model.

Philippe