[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Wikimedia Serbia Executive Director

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Wikimedia Serbia Executive Director

Cristian Consonni

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to announce Ivan Nikčević as the new Executive Director of Wikimedia Serbia.

Congratulations Wikimedia Serbia and welcome, Ivan!

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Wikimedia Serbia Executive Director

Salvador A
Great news! Congratulations!

I hope WMRS could tell us how was the experience and difficulties of
choosing a new ED. Such kind of storytelling might be the basis for future
best practices on getting staff.

Welcome Ivan!

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'd like to announce Ivan Nikčević as the new Executive Director of
> Wikimedia Serbia.
>

> Congratulations Wikimedia Serbia and welcome, Ivan!
>
> Cristian

*Salvador Alcántar*
*@salvador_alc*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Wikimedia Serbia Executive Director

Filip Maljković
On 10/16/2014 07:12 AM, Salvador A wrote:
> Great news! Congratulations!
>
> I hope WMRS could tell us how was the experience and difficulties of
> choosing a new ED. Such kind of storytelling might be the basis for future
> best practices on getting staff.

Thanks! :)

Well, to me (someone who was involved in the process from the get-go and
through the entire thing), the greatest difficulty was the sheer amount
of submissions -- 224.

So, our process was as follows: we announced the job opening on two
relevant sites and accepted submissions during the course of 3 weeks.
After reviewing all the CVs, the committee (originally consisting of 3
persons) members gave their ternary grades (+, -, or ?) for each
candidate. Those with not enough "positive votes" weren't considered
anymore, but those with any sort of significant support were discussed
at a long meeting, where we finally made a list of people who would be
invited in the first round of interviews.

Around 30 people participated in the first round, and that was spread
throughout 3 days (about 12 hours in total, so about 20 minutes per
candidate). After that, we made a shortlist for the second round and
that included 6 best candidates. We were quite strict with some
criteria, but we had to be in order to narrow things down significantly.

The second round was held during the course of one afternoon, and the
committee was broadened by a few board members. The second round
consisted of a short test (literacy and general knowledge) and a half
hour interview, that was broader in scope than the first one: we gave
each of the candidates one of the project proposals we got from our
volunteers for the Annual Grant 2015, so the candidates had to comment
them and try to see how the project fit in our mission, what should be
changed etc.

After the interviews, we had some deliberations that lasted longer than
anticipated, but after about a week, one candidate bubbled up and we
selected him -- Ivan.

That's the process in short (there were some other peculiarities, but
they aren't quite relevant for this venue).

Cheers,
Filip

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Wikimedia Serbia Executive Director

Markus Glaser-2
Welcome Ivan, and have a good start! Congratulations to WMRS to have
finished this difficult task, and thanks for sharing your experience.
That is very helpful!

Best

Am 16.10.2014 08:21, schrieb Filip Maljkovic:

> On 10/16/2014 07:12 AM, Salvador A wrote:
>> Great news! Congratulations!
>>
>> I hope WMRS could tell us how was the experience and difficulties of
>> choosing a new ED. Such kind of storytelling might be the basis for
>> future
>> best practices on getting staff.
>>
> Thanks! :)
>
> Well, to me (someone who was involved in the process from the get-go
> and through the entire thing), the greatest difficulty was the sheer
> amount of submissions -- 224.
>
> So, our process was as follows: we announced the job opening on two
> relevant sites and accepted submissions during the course of 3 weeks.
> After reviewing all the CVs, the committee (originally consisting of 3
> persons) members gave their ternary grades (+, -, or ?) for each
> candidate. Those with not enough "positive votes" weren't considered
> anymore, but those with any sort of significant support were discussed
> at a long meeting, where we finally made a list of people who would be
> invited in the first round of interviews.
>
> Around 30 people participated in the first round, and that was spread
> throughout 3 days (about 12 hours in total, so about 20 minutes per
> candidate). After that, we made a shortlist for the second round and
> that included 6 best candidates. We were quite strict with some
> criteria, but we had to be in order to narrow things down significantly.
>
> The second round was held during the course of one afternoon, and the
> committee was broadened by a few board members. The second round
> consisted of a short test (literacy and general knowledge) and a half
> hour interview, that was broader in scope than the first one: we gave
> each of the candidates one of the project proposals we got from our
> volunteers for the Annual Grant 2015, so the candidates had to comment
> them and try to see how the project fit in our mission, what should be
> changed etc.
>
> After the interviews, we had some deliberations that lasted longer
> than anticipated, but after about a week, one candidate bubbled up and
> we selected him -- Ivan.
>
> That's the process in short (there were some other peculiarities, but
> they aren't quite relevant for this venue).
>
> Cheers,
> Filip

Markus Glaser
Präsidium