[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap

Russavia
Hi all

Below is an email I've just received inviting me to join the Gender Gap
mailing list. It's sent from [hidden email] and has been passing
off as me.

I mentioned on the Gender Gap mailing list the other day that this was not
me, but now it would appear that email addresses on this mailing list are
being scraped.

If you receive an email purporting to be from myself and it's not from this
email addy (and with an IINET IP), you can be assured it is not myself. If
I wanted to troll you all, you all know that I have more elaborate ways of
doing this if I really wanted to do that. :)

It could appear from the message they sent it is our Indian friend who is
doing this; but of course it could be someone joe jobbing them too. Who
knows, who cares, it's not me all the same.

Cheers

Russavia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Russavia wrote:
>I mentioned on the Gender Gap mailing list the other day that this was not
>me, but now it would appear that email addresses on this mailing list are
>being scraped.

Whoever controls that list added the address in my From and my signature
which pretty clearly suggests use of some address extraction tool, yes.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap

Austin Hair
For the record, about an hour ago I permanently banned Site Admin,
going so far as to create regex filters for his content. And no,
Russavia, I didn't think it was you.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything about the individual
subscriptions—yes, I got one too.

Austin

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Russavia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Below is an email I've just received inviting me to join the Gender Gap
> mailing list. It's sent from [hidden email] and has been passing
> off as me.
>
> I mentioned on the Gender Gap mailing list the other day that this was not
> me, but now it would appear that email addresses on this mailing list are
> being scraped.
>
> If you receive an email purporting to be from myself and it's not from this
> email addy (and with an IINET IP), you can be assured it is not myself. If
> I wanted to troll you all, you all know that I have more elaborate ways of
> doing this if I really wanted to do that. :)
>
> It could appear from the message they sent it is our Indian friend who is
> doing this; but of course it could be someone joe jobbing them too. Who
> knows, who cares, it's not me all the same.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russavia

Kim Bruning
On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 01:22:00AM +0800, Russavia wrote:
> Hi all
>
> If you receive an email purporting to be from myself and it's not from this
> email addy (and with an IINET IP), you can be assured it is not myself.

Glad to hear it wasn't you!

> If I wanted to troll you all, you all know that I have more elaborate
> ways of doing this if I really wanted to do that. :)

Yes, indeed you do. :-P

sincerely
        Kim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap

Thyge
I reported the group for spamming. Adding me and others without our consent
and sending unsolicited emails must be stopped somehow.

Regards,
Thyge

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 10:26:19PM +0100, Thyge wrote:
> I reported the group for spamming. Adding me and others without our consent
> and sending unsolicited emails must be stopped somehow.

Idem here. Was listed, unsubscribed, reported for spamming.

sincerely,
        Kim Bruning