[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Samuel Klein-4
This is big news -- though still only part of Harvard's full
collection of records.

Following the British Library's release of 3M bib records under CC0 18
months ago:
http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&pageid=icb.page498373

David Weinberger writes:

> This is the largest contribution of full bib records we know of.
>
> Stuart Shieber [of the Berkman Center] (and of the Office of Scholarly
> Communication) was the driving force behind this.
>
> Woohoo!
>
> David W.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Very good news for Open Library, and for us too.

2012/4/24 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>

> This is big news -- though still only part of Harvard's full
> collection of records.
>
> Following the British Library's release of 3M bib records under CC0 18
> months ago:
> http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&pageid=icb.page498373
>
> David Weinberger writes:
>
> > This is the largest contribution of full bib records we know of.
> >
> > Stuart Shieber [of the Berkman Center] (and of the Office of Scholarly
> > Communication) was the driving force behind this.
> >
> > Woohoo!
> >
> > David W.

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Mateus Nobre-2
Add ALL at Wikisource!

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very good news for Open Library, and for us too.
>
> 2012/4/24 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
>
> > This is big news -- though still only part of Harvard's full
> > collection of records.
> >
> > Following the British Library's release of 3M bib records under CC0 18
> > months ago:
> >
> http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&pageid=icb.page498373
> >
> > David Weinberger writes:
> >
> > > This is the largest contribution of full bib records we know of.
> > >
> > > Stuart Shieber [of the Berkman Center] (and of the Office of Scholarly
> > > Communication) was the driving force behind this.
> > >
> > > Woohoo!
> > >
> > > David W.

> Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
> Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
> Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
> StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
> | WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
> WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
> | WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
> Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thanks for sharing, I had read about it on the NYT but nothing was said
on license.
So now the USA have more open bibliographic data than Germany/Europe? :)
lobid.org is a very nice initiative, but other catalog systems have very
complex interactions between hundreds or thousands of entities and it's
very hard to change the licenses.
The main problem is usually deduplication and quality of the records,
any information on this for Harvard's data?

Mateus Nobre, 25/04/2012 19:44:
> Add ALL at Wikisource!

Wikisource? This is only metadata.

Nemo

2012/4/25 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>

> Thanks for sharing, I had read about it on the NYT but nothing was said on
> license.
> So now the USA have more open bibliographic data than Germany/Europe? :)
> lobid.org is a very nice initiative, but other catalog systems have very
> complex interactions between hundreds or thousands of entities and it's
> very hard to change the licenses.
> The main problem is usually deduplication and quality of the records, any
> information on this for Harvard's data?
>
> Mateus Nobre, 25/04/2012 19:44:
>
>> Add ALL at Wikisource!
>>

> Wikisource? This is only metadata.

Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.

--
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Andrea Zanni-2
2012/4/25 emijrp <[hidden email]>:
> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.

I think it's perfectly OK with Wikidata, and it would be with
Wikisource (if we had a metadata management system :-).
As far as I understood, Wikidata will engage sister projects data in
2015 (i'm gonna cry).

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Michael Peel-4

On 25 Apr 2012, at 19:29, emijrp wrote:

> 2012/4/25 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
>
>> Thanks for sharing, I had read about it on the NYT but nothing was said on
>> license.
>> So now the USA have more open bibliographic data than Germany/Europe? :)
>> lobid.org is a very nice initiative, but other catalog systems have very
>> complex interactions between hundreds or thousands of entities and it's
>> very hard to change the licenses.
>> The main problem is usually deduplication and quality of the records, any
>> information on this for Harvard's data?
>>
>> Mateus Nobre, 25/04/2012 19:44:
>>
>>> Add ALL at Wikisource!
>>>

>> Wikisource? This is only metadata.
>>

> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.

A mass dump of all of the information onto Wikisource wouldn't be good - but being able to extract complete bibliographies of specific authors on demand would actually be quite useful for properly building author pages on Wikisource, rather than the current ad-hoc and incomplete lists that currently exist. (With the consequence that bibliographies on Wikipedia could be 'outsourced' to Wikisource, bringing that project much-needed readers and editors).

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Lydia Pintscher
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2012/4/25 emijrp <[hidden email]>:
>> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.
>
> I think it's perfectly OK with Wikidata, and it would be with
> Wikisource (if we had a metadata management system :-).
> As far as I understood, Wikidata will engage sister projects data in
> 2015 (i'm gonna cry).

This isn't clear yet. It's unlikely to happen before the end of the
initial development in a year. We still have to see what happens after
that. It might happen before 2015 or not.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

John Mark Vandenberg
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Lydia Pintscher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2012/4/25 emijrp <[hidden email]>:
>>> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.
>>
>> I think it's perfectly OK with Wikidata, and it would be with
>> Wikisource (if we had a metadata management system :-).
>> As far as I understood, Wikidata will engage sister projects data in
>> 2015 (i'm gonna cry).
>
> This isn't clear yet. It's unlikely to happen before the end of the
> initial development in a year. We still have to see what happens after
> that. It might happen before 2015 or not.

Andrea will run out of tears by 2015. ;-(

Could we have one sister-projects IRC session in the near future?

--
John Vandenberg

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Lydia Pintscher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's perfectly OK with Wikidata, and it would be with
>>> Wikisource (if we had a metadata management system :-).
>>> As far as I understood, Wikidata will engage sister projects data in
>>> 2015 (i'm gonna cry).
>>
>> This isn't clear yet. It's unlikely to happen before the end of the
>> initial development in a year. We still have to see what happens after
>> that. It might happen before 2015 or not.
>
> Andrea will run out of tears by 2015. ;-(

Heh we don't want that to happen obviously.
I have to clarify my previous statement. The team doing the initial
development will mainly be focusing on getting this up and running for
the Wikipedias. (We will obviously keep sister-projects and projects
outside Wikimedia in mind while doing that.) However if people want to
help and work towards bringing Wikidata also to the sister-projects
then that would be welcome from our side. And of course they will be
able to use Wikidata like any other 3rd party as soon as that is
possible.

> Could we have one sister-projects IRC session in the near future?

Questions regarding sister-projects and how they can fit into the
whole Wikidata picture are obviously very welcome at the next office
hours on Monday (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Events). If
there is more demand for it we can also do office hours specifically
for that of course.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Craig Franklin-2
Firstly, let me say this is very very cool news.

I went to go and have a browse though, and it's all tied up in a
massive (around 3gb) archive file rather than being easily browsable.
I know that WikiData is the obvious place to put it, but perhaps it
would be useful as a reference work on Wikisource in its own right,
decompressed and machine formatted into an easier to search format?

Cheers,
Craig

On 25 Apr 2012, at 19:29, emijrp wrote:

> 2012/4/25 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
>
>> Thanks for sharing, I had read about it on the NYT but nothing was said on
>> license.
>> So now the USA have more open bibliographic data than Germany/Europe? :)
>> lobid.org is a very nice initiative, but other catalog systems have very
>> complex interactions between hundreds or thousands of entities and it's
>> very hard to change the licenses.
>> The main problem is usually deduplication and quality of the records, any
>> information on this for Harvard's data?
>>
>> Mateus Nobre, 25/04/2012 19:44:
>>
>>> Add ALL at Wikisource!
>>>

>> Wikisource? This is only metadata.
>>

> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.
A mass dump of all of the information onto Wikisource wouldn't be good
- but being able to extract complete bibliographies of specific
authors on demand would actually be quite useful for properly building
author pages on Wikisource, rather than the current ad-hoc and
incomplete lists that currently exist. (With the consequence that
bibliographies on Wikipedia could be 'outsourced' to Wikisource,
bringing that project much-needed readers and editors).
Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Andrea Zanni-2

>>> This isn't clear yet. It's unlikely to happen before the end of the
>>> initial development in a year. We still have to see what happens after
>>> that. It might happen before 2015 or not.
>>
>> Andrea will run out of tears by 2015. ;-(
>
> Heh we don't want that to happen obviously.

I'm not crying yet :-)

> .. if people want to
> help and work towards bringing Wikidata also to the sister-projects
> then that would be welcome from our side. And of course they will be
> able to use Wikidata like any other 3rd party as soon as that is
> possible.

Thank you Lydia for your reply,
I would be definetely good to be be in touch with the WikiData team as
sister projects users.

> I have to clarify my previous statement. The team doing the initial
> development will mainly be focusing on getting this up and running for
> the Wikipedias. (We will obviously keep sister-projects and projects
> outside Wikimedia in mind while doing that.)

I know this won't change anything, and I know that I'm very biased,
but let me unburden just this time. :-)

It seems to me that it would be more logical, for a start, to work
on a simpler and well-defined framework for meta/data.

Wikisource just need a way to manage bibliographic metadata:
it could use Dublin Core, as a standard, fetch its data from Commons,
and maybe use OAI-PMH as a protocol. Of course, it needs the technical
infrastructure for "manage" data.
Commons would be the repository for both data and scans, and the data
could be taken from Author and Books template.
It seems to me that this metadata issue, in both Commons and
Wiksource, wouldn't need gazillions hours of work,
but I guess it has always been low priority (not your fault of course,
but still here we are)

I know that working on Wikipedia has a much broader reach,
so it's OK.

I just wanted to say this louder :-)

>> Could we have one sister-projects IRC session in the near future?
>
> Questions regarding sister-projects and how they can fit into the
> whole Wikidata picture are obviously very welcome at the next office
> hours on Monday (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Events). If
> there is more demand for it we can also do office hours specifically
> for that of course.

I'll try to participate and understand better what you are going to do.
Thanks for the info.

Aubrey

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Andrea will run out of tears by 2015. ;-(
>>
>> Heh we don't want that to happen obviously.
>
> I'm not crying yet :-)

Puh... Good ;-)

>> .. if people want to
>> help and work towards bringing Wikidata also to the sister-projects
>> then that would be welcome from our side. And of course they will be
>> able to use Wikidata like any other 3rd party as soon as that is
>> possible.
>
> Thank you Lydia for your reply,
> I would be definetely good to be be in touch with the WikiData team as
> sister projects users.

Sounds good. Do try to come to the office hours.

>> I have to clarify my previous statement. The team doing the initial
>> development will mainly be focusing on getting this up and running for
>> the Wikipedias. (We will obviously keep sister-projects and projects
>> outside Wikimedia in mind while doing that.)
>
> I know this won't change anything, and I know that I'm very biased,
> but let me unburden just this time. :-)
>
> It seems to me that it would be more logical, for a start, to work
> on a simpler and well-defined framework for meta/data.
>
> Wikisource just need a way to manage bibliographic metadata:
> it could use Dublin Core, as a standard, fetch its data from Commons,
> and maybe use OAI-PMH as a protocol. Of course, it needs the technical
> infrastructure for "manage" data.
> Commons would be the repository for both data and scans, and the data
> could be taken from Author and Books template.
> It seems to me that this metadata issue, in both Commons and
> Wiksource, wouldn't need gazillions hours of work,
> but I guess it has always been low priority (not your fault of course,
> but still here we are)
>
> I know that working on Wikipedia has a much broader reach,
> so it's OK.
>
> I just wanted to say this louder :-)

As far as I understand it it shouldn't be a problem to store data from
the Author and Books template for example in Wikidata and use it (if
the community agrees that this is something that should be stored
there). Daniel said it needs a bit of modification on the client
extension that someone would need to do though.

>>> Could we have one sister-projects IRC session in the near future?
>>
>> Questions regarding sister-projects and how they can fit into the
>> whole Wikidata picture are obviously very welcome at the next office
>> hours on Monday (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Events). If
>> there is more demand for it we can also do office hours specifically
>> for that of course.
>
> I'll try to participate and understand better what you are going to do.
> Thanks for the info.

Great. Let me know if you have more questions.