[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Samuel Klein-4
Hello,

The WMF Board has recognized Amical Wikimedia as the first Wikimedia
Thematic Organization.  Please join me in celebrating their work and
success!
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia

This group was founded in 2008 as Associació Amical Viquipèdia,
focused on Catalan language and culture. You may know them from the
regular reports they have published to this list and to Meta for
years.  They have organized dozens of successful cultural projects,
including public events, research, GLAM initiatives, and content
liberation.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia#Activities

After first applying to become a chapter four years ago, Amical
members later helped the Movement Roles working group develop new
models for affiliation, and were the first to apply to be a thematic
organization. Gomà and Arnaugir, the founder and current chair of
Amical, attended the Milan conference and shared their projects and
their future plans.  An in-person meeting there helped to resolve the
remaining bureaucratic steps in the process of becoming a thematic
organization.

Thank you to everyone from AffCom and Amical who have been involved
throughout this process, particularly Bence and Bishakha for their
guidance since the first movement roles discussions, and Gomà and
María for their facilitation.

Regards,
Sam, on behalf of the Board

== About Thematic Organizations ==
Thematic Organizations are one of the new affiliation models created
last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
organizations, focused on a common theme.

The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
orgs can be found on Meta.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations

--
Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Sydney Poore
Yay. This is awesome! I'm so glad it worked out for the organization to get this status now.

Sydney

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 6, 2013, at 10:17 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The WMF Board has recognized Amical Wikimedia as the first Wikimedia
> Thematic Organization.  Please join me in celebrating their work and
> success!
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia
>
> This group was founded in 2008 as Associació Amical Viquipèdia,
> focused on Catalan language and culture. You may know them from the
> regular reports they have published to this list and to Meta for
> years.  They have organized dozens of successful cultural projects,
> including public events, research, GLAM initiatives, and content
> liberation.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia#Activities
>
> After first applying to become a chapter four years ago, Amical
> members later helped the Movement Roles working group develop new
> models for affiliation, and were the first to apply to be a thematic
> organization. Gomà and Arnaugir, the founder and current chair of
> Amical, attended the Milan conference and shared their projects and
> their future plans.  An in-person meeting there helped to resolve the
> remaining bureaucratic steps in the process of becoming a thematic
> organization.
>
> Thank you to everyone from AffCom and Amical who have been involved
> throughout this process, particularly Bence and Bishakha for their
> guidance since the first movement roles discussions, and Gomà and
> María for their facilitation.
>
> Regards,
> Sam, on behalf of the Board
>

> == About Thematic Organizations ==
> Thematic Organizations are one of the new affiliation models created
> last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
> interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
> offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
> organizations, focused on a common theme.
>
> The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
> to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
> orgs can be found on Meta.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Sarah Stierch-2
Yay!! I am so pleased to here this. The work happening in Catalonia is so
wonderful!!! Welcome and congratulations!

-Sarah

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The WMF Board has recognized Amical Wikimedia as the first Wikimedia
> Thematic Organization.  Please join me in celebrating their work and
> success!
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia
>
> This group was founded in 2008 as Associació Amical Viquipèdia,
> focused on Catalan language and culture. You may know them from the
> regular reports they have published to this list and to Meta for
> years.  They have organized dozens of successful cultural projects,
> including public events, research, GLAM initiatives, and content
> liberation.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia#Activities
>
> After first applying to become a chapter four years ago, Amical
> members later helped the Movement Roles working group develop new
> models for affiliation, and were the first to apply to be a thematic
> organization. Gomà and Arnaugir, the founder and current chair of
> Amical, attended the Milan conference and shared their projects and
> their future plans.  An in-person meeting there helped to resolve the
> remaining bureaucratic steps in the process of becoming a thematic
> organization.
>
> Thank you to everyone from AffCom and Amical who have been involved
> throughout this process, particularly Bence and Bishakha for their
> guidance since the first movement roles discussions, and Gomà and
> María for their facilitation.
>
> Regards,
> Sam, on behalf of the Board
>

> == About Thematic Organizations ==
> Thematic Organizations are one of the new affiliation models created
> last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
> interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
> offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
> organizations, focused on a common theme.
>
> The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
> to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
> orgs can be found on Meta.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

David Cuenca Tudela
Finally! It took us some years but I'm glad that it definitely happened! :)

Congratulations to everyone that made it possible, and I hope the great
work done in Catalonia extends to Valencia too :)

Micru

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The WMF Board has recognized Amical Wikimedia as the first Wikimedia
> Thematic Organization.  Please join me in celebrating their work and
> success!
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia
>
> This group was founded in 2008 as Associació Amical Viquipèdia,
> focused on Catalan language and culture. You may know them from the
> regular reports they have published to this list and to Meta for
> years.  They have organized dozens of successful cultural projects,
> including public events, research, GLAM initiatives, and content
> liberation.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia#Activities
>
> After first applying to become a chapter four years ago, Amical
> members later helped the Movement Roles working group develop new
> models for affiliation, and were the first to apply to be a thematic
> organization. Gomà and Arnaugir, the founder and current chair of
> Amical, attended the Milan conference and shared their projects and
> their future plans.  An in-person meeting there helped to resolve the
> remaining bureaucratic steps in the process of becoming a thematic
> organization.
>
> Thank you to everyone from AffCom and Amical who have been involved
> throughout this process, particularly Bence and Bishakha for their
> guidance since the first movement roles discussions, and Gomà and
> María for their facilitation.
>
> Regards,
> Sam, on behalf of the Board
>

> == About Thematic Organizations ==
> Thematic Organizations are one of the new affiliation models created
> last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
> interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
> offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
> organizations, focused on a common theme.
>
> The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
> to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
> orgs can be found on Meta.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266

Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Liam Wyatt
Agreed with what others have said - this is great news!

Many of us know what a longstanding issue this has been - how to recognise
and support the excellent work of the Catalan community in a way that fits
within our structures.
There have been many years of sometimes controversial debates about the
role of Chapters etc. that have revolved around this as a case-in-point.
So, I'm pleased to see that we now have a way of formally recogising
Amicalthat is supportive of their work but also recognises the
different
circumstances of their situation.

I look forward to seeing how the Thematic Organisations system will grow
and also to seeing how we can develop the range of ways that individuals
and groups can be recognised without it being a zero-sum-game.

All in all, excellent news :-)

-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

On 7 June 2013 13:09, David Cuenca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finally! It took us some years but I'm glad that it definitely happened! :)
>
> Congratulations to everyone that made it possible, and I hope the great
> work done in Catalonia extends to Valencia too :)
>
> Micru
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The WMF Board has recognized Amical Wikimedia as the first Wikimedia
> > Thematic Organization.  Please join me in celebrating their work and
> > success!
> >

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia
> >
> > This group was founded in 2008 as Associació Amical Viquipèdia,
> > focused on Catalan language and culture. You may know them from the
> > regular reports they have published to this list and to Meta for
> > years.  They have organized dozens of successful cultural projects,
> > including public events, research, GLAM initiatives, and content
> > liberation.
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia#Activities
> >
> > After first applying to become a chapter four years ago, Amical
> > members later helped the Movement Roles working group develop new
> > models for affiliation, and were the first to apply to be a thematic
> > organization. Gomà and Arnaugir, the founder and current chair of
> > Amical, attended the Milan conference and shared their projects and
> > their future plans.  An in-person meeting there helped to resolve the
> > remaining bureaucratic steps in the process of becoming a thematic
> > organization.
> >
> > Thank you to everyone from AffCom and Amical who have been involved
> > throughout this process, particularly Bence and Bishakha for their
> > guidance since the first movement roles discussions, and Gomà and
> > María for their facilitation.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sam, on behalf of the Board
> >

> > == About Thematic Organizations ==
> > Thematic Organizations are one of the new affiliation models created
> > last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
> > interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
> > offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
> > organizations, focused on a common theme.
> >
> > The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
> > to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
> > orgs can be found on Meta.
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
> >

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations
> >
> > --
> > Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529
> 4266

> Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Jane Darnell
Congrats to the Catalan army! I became a fan during the Teylers
project last year and have noticed since then that they are
particularly good at GLAM projects. I think part of their success is
based on their ca-wikipedia though, because European countries without
a specific language-pedia never seem to get chapter-ish workgroups off
the ground (I am thinking here of the be and lux of Benelux).

I certainly hope the themed framework will change this!
Jane

2013/6/7, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> > last year, to recognize organizations that have consistently done
>> > interesting work with partners and in outreach, both online and
>> > offline.  They are meant to be well-established and persistent
>> > organizations, focused on a common theme.
>> >
>> > The review and approval process for Thematic Organizations is similar
>> > to that for chapters.  A list of groups considering becoming thematic
>> > orgs can be found on Meta.
>> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Thematic_organizations
>> >

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations
>> >
>> > --
>> > Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529
>> 4266

>> --
>> Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
wow..good..congratulations!

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congrats to the Catalan army! I became a fan during the Teylers
> project last year and have noticed since then that they are
> particularly good at GLAM projects. I think part of their success is
> based on their ca-wikipedia though, because European countries without
> a specific language-pedia never seem to get chapter-ish workgroups off
> the ground (I am thinking here of the be and lux of Benelux).
>
> I certainly hope the themed framework will change this!
> Jane
>
> 2013/6/7, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]>:
> > Agreed with what others have said - this is great news!
> >
> > Many of us know what a longstanding issue this has been - how to
> recognise
> > and support the excellent work of the Catalan community in a way that
> fits
> > within our structures.
> > There have been many years of sometimes controversial debates about the
> > role of Chapters etc. that have revolved around this as a case-in-point.
> > So, I'm pleased to see that we now have a way of formally recogising
> > Amicalthat is supportive of their work but also recognises the
> > different
> > circumstances of their situation.
> >
> > I look forward to seeing how the Thematic Organisations system will grow
> > and also to seeing how we can develop the range of ways that individuals
> > and groups can be recognised without it being a zero-sum-game.
> >
> > All in all, excellent news :-)
> >
> > -Liam
> >
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
> >

> > On 7 June 2013 13:09, David Cuenca <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Finally! It took us some years but I'm glad that it definitely happened!
> >> :)
> >>
> >> Congratulations to everyone that made it possible, and I hope the great
> >> work done in Catalonia extends to Valencia too :)
> >>
> >> Micru

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognition_of_Amical_Wikimedia

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_affiliation_models/Thematic_Organizations

> >> 4266

> >> --
> >> Etiamsi omnes, ego non

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Network Foundation
(OKFN)<http://www.okfn.org>
Auto-confirmed, Reviewer & Roll backer Editor | Bangla
Wikipedia<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Treasurer & Coordinator (PR) | Bangladesh Open Source Network
(BdOSN)<http://www.bdosn.org>
Coordinator (PR) | Society for the Popularization of Science, Bangladesh
(SPSB) <http://www.spsb.org>*
*Central Team MOVers | Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad Committee
(BdMO)<http://www.matholympiad.org.bd>
Facebook: fb.com/nhasive | Twitter:
@nhasive<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive>| Skype: nhasive |
www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Recognition of Amical Wikimedia

Florence Devouard-3
It took time... but eh ! you did it ! Congrats !

Flo