[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] The Revision Scoring weekly update

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] The Revision Scoring weekly update

Pine W
Sharing some good news, both about the progress of ORES and (my primary
inspiration for sharing this email) significant improvements in article
quality thanks to WikiProject Women scientists. The latter has been
designated as the Keilana Effect.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] The Revision Scoring weekly update

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I noticed the notion about "quality in Wikidata". The approach is very much
in line with what is the norm in Wikipedia. This is inot the right approach
for Wikidata. Many of the items in Wikidata can be of high "quality"; ie
the statements have a source and there are enough labels but the true value
of these items are in the use of these items as statements in other items..
(for instance a university indicates that someone studied there).  Another
quality point is that for authors a VIAF statements allows for the linking
in Wikipedias in external sources. This is of a high importance, it makes
Wikidata useful and, if that is not of a quality consideration what is?

One other aspect of Wikidata is that it is still highly immature. Just
consider the statistics for labels and statements [1] . This is only the
first month where less than 10% of our items have no statement.. We talk
about quality but quality should have a practical meaning. Just saying this
or that item is so good, it makes for stamp collecting. The point of a
stamp is not to collect them it is to send mail. Quality means that we know
how many articles have been written in one or more editathons. It is in
finding for a collection of items that it is better known what award,
schooling has been achieved by the people that was written for. It is in
using Wikidata to indicate what categories could be in what Wikipedia
article.

Quality needs to be actionable. What is the use of static quality?
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/stats.php?reverse

On 17 March 2017 at 02:19, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sharing some good news, both about the progress of ORES and (my primary
> inspiration for sharing this email) significant improvements in article
> quality thanks to WikiProject Women scientists. The latter has been
> designated as the Keilana Effect.
>
> Pine

Richard Nevell
Having guidance on quality helps people learning about Wikidata understand
what they should be aiming for.

The paper on vandalism detection in Wikidata sounds interesting, where can
I find it?

Richard

On 17 March 2017 at 09:09, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> I noticed the notion about "quality in Wikidata". The approach is very much
> in line with what is the norm in Wikipedia. This is inot the right approach
> for Wikidata. Many of the items in Wikidata can be of high "quality"; ie
> the statements have a source and there are enough labels but the true value
> of these items are in the use of these items as statements in other items..
> (for instance a university indicates that someone studied there).  Another
> quality point is that for authors a VIAF statements allows for the linking
> in Wikipedias in external sources. This is of a high importance, it makes
> Wikidata useful and, if that is not of a quality consideration what is?
>
> One other aspect of Wikidata is that it is still highly immature. Just
> consider the statistics for labels and statements [1] . This is only the
> first month where less than 10% of our items have no statement.. We talk
> about quality but quality should have a practical meaning. Just saying this
> or that item is so good, it makes for stamp collecting. The point of a
> stamp is not to collect them it is to send mail. Quality means that we know
> how many articles have been written in one or more editathons. It is in
> finding for a collection of items that it is better known what award,
> schooling has been achieved by the people that was written for. It is in
> using Wikidata to indicate what categories could be in what Wikipedia
> article.
>
> Quality needs to be actionable. What is the use of static quality?
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>

> [1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/stats.php?reverse
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 02:19, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sharing some good news, both about the progress of ORES and (my primary
> > inspiration for sharing this email) significant improvements in article
> > quality thanks to WikiProject Women scientists. The latter has been
> > designated as the Keilana Effect.
> >
> > Pine

Project Coordinator
Wikimedia UK - sign up to our newsletter <http://eepurl.com/cnYOw5>
+44 (0) 20 7065 0921

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] The Revision Scoring weekly update

Amir Ladsgroup
Hey,
It's in arxiv: https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.03861
Any feedback is welcome :)

Best

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM Richard Nevell <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having guidance on quality helps people learning about Wikidata understand
> what they should be aiming for.
>
> The paper on vandalism detection in Wikidata sounds interesting, where can
> I find it?
>
> Richard
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 09:09, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > I noticed the notion about "quality in Wikidata". The approach is very
> much
> > in line with what is the norm in Wikipedia. This is inot the right
> approach
> > for Wikidata. Many of the items in Wikidata can be of high "quality"; ie
> > the statements have a source and there are enough labels but the true
> value
> > of these items are in the use of these items as statements in other
> items..
> > (for instance a university indicates that someone studied there).
> Another
> > quality point is that for authors a VIAF statements allows for the
> linking
> > in Wikipedias in external sources. This is of a high importance, it makes
> > Wikidata useful and, if that is not of a quality consideration what is?
> >
> > One other aspect of Wikidata is that it is still highly immature. Just
> > consider the statistics for labels and statements [1] . This is only the
> > first month where less than 10% of our items have no statement.. We talk
> > about quality but quality should have a practical meaning. Just saying
> this
> > or that item is so good, it makes for stamp collecting. The point of a
> > stamp is not to collect them it is to send mail. Quality means that we
> know
> > how many articles have been written in one or more editathons. It is in
> > finding for a collection of items that it is better known what award,
> > schooling has been achieved by the people that was written for. It is in
> > using Wikidata to indicate what categories could be in what Wikipedia
> > article.
> >
> > Quality needs to be actionable. What is the use of static quality?
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >

> > [1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/stats.php?reverse
> >
> > On 17 March 2017 at 02:19, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sharing some good news, both about the progress of ORES and (my primary
> > > inspiration for sharing this email) significant improvements in article
> > > quality thanks to WikiProject Women scientists. The latter has been
> > > designated as the Keilana Effect.
> > >
> > > Pine

I so agree but when it is quality that is to be achieved let it be a
guidance that helps us to achieve quality.

Wikidata should bring things together. I do not aim to achieve the quality
as described because it fails in achieving things that are actionable and
have a measurable effect on the quality of Wikidat as being complimentary
to Wikipedia.

Arguably the quality that Wikidata brings is not realised because of
Wikidata items are considered in the same way as articles. They are not.
Thanks,
      GerardM