[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wmfall] CTO Search | Status

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wmfall] CTO Search | Status

Lila Tretikov
Hi all,

Earlier this week Amy Elder -- our head of recruiting -- has shared a
preview of the CTO role with the staff and I would like to share it with
you early as well, before the job description is posted and the process
starts. I am very grateful to our technical staff and leaders here at the
WMF for collaborating on both the description and the process.

If you have any nominations or recommendations, which I hope you will
please email Amy directly.

Thank you all for engaging.
Lila

--
Amy Elder
Director of Recruiting

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment and you can help continue to make it a reality: https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Responsibilities[edit | edit source]

[...]

Required qualifications[edit | edit source]

[...]

“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wmfall] CTO Search | Status

Aude-2
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Earlier this week Amy Elder -- our head of recruiting -- has shared a
> preview of the CTO role with the staff and I would like to share it with
> you early as well, before the job description is posted and the process
> starts. I am very grateful to our technical staff and leaders here at the
> WMF for collaborating on both the description and the process.
>
> If you have any nominations or recommendations, which I hope you will
> please email Amy directly.
>
> Thank you all for engaging.
> Lila

Lila and Amy,

Curious what you mean by "Technology group" in regards to "overall
architectural roadmap" and strategy?  Perhaps this could be made more clear?

For MediaWiki (and general architectural topics), we have the architecture
committee which is comprised of staff and non WMF developers. and/or you
mean the engineering and product managers?

Cheers,
Katie

>    - Contribute to that strategy by qualifying and prioritizing
>    infrastructure efforts.
>    - Grow and build highly complex technology infrastructure. Anticipate
>    technology scale and capability challenges, and communicate clear
> proactive
>    plans to address these challenges. Work closely with tech leads and
>    operations to resource key technology initiatives, and drive them to
>    completion for existing and future technology expansion.
>
> Required qualifications[edit
> <
> https://office.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Job_descriptions/Chief_Technology_Officer&veaction=edit&vesection=6
> >
>  | edit source
> <
> https://office.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Job_descriptions/Chief_Technology_Officer&action=edit&section=6
> >
> ]
>
>    - Experience stepping into established technical organizations, and
>    quickly gaining respect, and methodically implementing, a robust and
>    effective development practice. Ability to build teams quickly. An
>    effective coach and guide for technical and product talent.
>    - Experience with large-scale, global internet technologies.
>    - Understanding of the open source ecosystem product lifecycle, with an
>    ability to source and seed innovation and to produce quick results.
>    - Proven ability to set the vision and strategy for technology and
>    operations, and to produce an effective roadmap. Comfortable with
>    technology scale and associated architectural challenges, and experience
>    proactively addressing them.
>    - Familiarity with a broad range of open source technologies and how
>    they interrelate to solve big data, mobility, and collaboration problems
>    (e.g. Varnish, Apache, Memcached, MySQL, PHP, Node.js, Python, Hadoop,
>    Elasticsearch and a broad range of open source components).
>    - A proven track record in leading teams to build APIs and analytics
>    into platforms, as well as development and integration of Mobile.
>    -

@wikidata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wmfall] CTO Search | Status

James Forrester-4
On 17 February 2016 at 00:03, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    - In collaboration with the ED and the Technology group, own and
> advance
> >    the overall architectural roadmap, setting the vision and long-term
> >    strategy for technology at the Foundation.
> >

> Lila and Amy,
>
> Curious what you mean by "Technology group" in regards to "overall
> architectural roadmap" and strategy?  Perhaps this could be made more
> clear?

​The Technology Group is the part of ​WMF that will report to the CTO. See
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors#Technology in
comparison to
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors#Product, the
group headed by Wes, in which I sit. It comprises eight departments and
teams, of which Architecture is one.

​J.
--
James D. Forrester