[Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

[Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Andy Mabbett-2
For some months, Twitter have been blocking most URLs in their direct
messages (DMs), supposedly as an anti-spam measure.

Do we have someone who has a contact there, who could ask them to
whitelist Wikimedia project URLs in DMs?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Luis Villa
I can ask around, but I've not heard of them even having a whitelist for
this situation - do we know for a fact that's the case?

Luis

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For some months, Twitter have been blocking most URLs in their direct
> messages (DMs), supposedly as an anti-spam measure.
>
> Do we have someone who has a contact there, who could ask them to
> whitelist Wikimedia project URLs in DMs?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Andy Mabbett-2
Thank you.

Some URLs go though, others do not. I doubt it's random ;-)

On 3 August 2014 17:06, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can ask around, but I've not heard of them even having a whitelist for
> this situation - do we know for a fact that's the case?
>
> Luis
>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> For some months, Twitter have been blocking most URLs in their direct
>> messages (DMs), supposedly as an anti-spam measure.
>>
>> Do we have someone who has a contact there, who could ask them to
>> whitelist Wikimedia project URLs in DMs?
>>
>> --
>> Andy Mabbett
>> @pigsonthewing
>> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Luis Villa
Everything I had seen suggests that no URLs go through, but a little
Googling suggests that there is a whitelist:
http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2013/11/04/handy-hacks-sending-links-via-twitters-direct-message/

That said, every other source I can find mentioning a whitelist points back
at that same article - no one seems to have independently confirmed that.
So I'll poke some folks but don't hold your breath :)

Luis

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Some URLs go though, others do not. I doubt it's random ;-)
>
> On 3 August 2014 17:06, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I can ask around, but I've not heard of them even having a whitelist for
> > this situation - do we know for a fact that's the case?
> >
> > Luis
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> For some months, Twitter have been blocking most URLs in their direct
> >> messages (DMs), supposedly as an anti-spam measure.
> >>
> >> Do we have someone who has a contact there, who could ask them to
> >> whitelist Wikimedia project URLs in DMs?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Andy Mabbett
> >> @pigsonthewing
> >> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> > Luis Villa
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> >
> > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Only twitter and Facebook links go thru DMs. I think if several people file
a support ticket for this we may achieve something. Else get Jimbo to send
a mail to the Twitter folks. Problem would be solved in no time. :)
 On Aug 3, 2014 10:52 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everything I had seen suggests that no URLs go through, but a little
> Googling suggests that there is a whitelist:
>
> http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2013/11/04/handy-hacks-sending-links-via-twitters-direct-message/
>
> That said, every other source I can find mentioning a whitelist points back
> at that same article - no one seems to have independently confirmed that.
> So I'll poke some folks but don't hold your breath :)
>
> Luis
>

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Some URLs go though, others do not. I doubt it's random ;-)
> >
> > On 3 August 2014 17:06, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I can ask around, but I've not heard of them even having a whitelist
> for
> > > this situation - do we know for a fact that's the case?
> > >
> > > Luis
> > >

> > > On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Andy Mabbett <
> [hidden email]>

> > > --
> > > Luis Villa
> > > Deputy General Counsel
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> > >
> > > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community
> > > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> > more
> > > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Getting Wikipedia whitelisted for Twitter DMs

Jan Ainali-2
Update: It seems that wikipedia.org, wikimedia.org and mediawiki.org links
now are whitelisted in DMs.

*Med vänliga hälsningar,Jan Ainali*

Verksamhetschef, Wikimedia Sverige <http://wikimedia.se>
0729 - 67 29 48

*Tänk dig en värld där varje människa har fri tillgång till mänsklighetens
samlade kunskap. Det är det vi gör.*
Bli medlem. <http://blimedlem.wikimedia.se>