[Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

[Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Ziko van Dijk-2
Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,

After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.

In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
movement was achieved, though.

Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
members.

But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.

Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.

Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.

Kind regards
Ziko

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

Dr. Ziko van Dijk

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht
http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Pavel Richter-2
Dear Ziko, thank you for everything you have done, both concerning the
Netherlands and your international activities. We did not always shared the
same views, but you were always open for debate and arguments. And you were
always a honest and friendly person, a true Wikimedian.

Whatever your next endeavour will be, they can be happy to have your
support.

All the best,

Pavel

Pavel Richter
Am 30.03.2014 20:00 schrieb "Ziko van Dijk" <[hidden email]>:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Charles Andrès-2
Despite all the arguments we had, I always respect the wikimedian you are, and with hindsight... even more

Hope to see you soon!

Charles

Le 30 mars 2014 à 19:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Kim Bruning

Hope to see you again soon in whatever your next capacity may be!

sincerely,
        Kim Bruning

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 07:59:45PM +0200, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72
5ED6 E215 73EE AD84 E03A  01C5 94AC 7B0E FEF9 DD72

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Cristian Consonni
> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.

[...]

> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.

Thank you, Ziko. See you soon.

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Andy Mabbett-2
On Mar 30, 2014 6:59 PM, "Ziko van Dijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.

More time for taking pictures!

Hope to see you again soon, perhaps at Wikimania?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Jon Davies
Very sad to hear this - you have done so well. Hie to see you in London.

On 30 March 2014 18:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Charles Gregory-2
Farewell and good luck Ziko!  You have the dubious notability of being the
first Wikimedian I met outside my home country!  Hopefully you'll still be
active in the community and I'll see you around again!

Charles / User:Chuq
Hobart, Australia

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Jon Davies <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Very sad to hear this - you have done so well. Hie to see you in London.
>

> On 30 March 2014 18:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
> >
> > After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> > yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
> >
> > In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> > people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> > and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> > knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> > movement was achieved, though.
> >
> > Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> > coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> > average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> > was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> > And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> > literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> > members.
> >
> > But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> > nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> > custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
> >
> > Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> > transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> > members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> > more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> > on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> > that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> > appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
> >
> > Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> > whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Ziko
> >
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> > Dr. Ziko van Dijk
> >
> > Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> > Postbus 167
> > 3500 AD Utrecht
> > http://wikimedia.nl

> *Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
> tweet @jonatreesdavies

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Craig Franklin
Ziko,

Although as Presidents of chapters located on the opposite sides of the
world I never had that much to do with you, when I *did* have cause to
interact I always found you unfailingly polite, approachable, and
unfailingly dedicated to our shared mission.  Thankyou for your service,
and I wish you all the very best in your future endeavours.

Cheers,
Craig Franklin

On 31 March 2014 03:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Itzik Edri
Thank you Ziko for your huge contribution to WMNL, to the chapters, and to
the movement in general.

בהצלחה (Good luck) on whatever you going to do next.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Dear Ziko,

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for all the efforts over the past years. While we do not always agree on everything it was pleasure exchanging ideas with you and I felt that the leadership of the Dutch chapter was in great hands while you where the chair of the Dutch board. I am happy to see that some of your thinking behind the WCA has influenced other collaborations between chapters and thematic organisations. Wikimedia Netherlands has enjoyed three years of your leadership, and is so much the better for it!

Although some are expressing regret at seeing you go I am assuming that you are not going anywhere and that we will see you on the projects or maybe in some other volunteer role in the future.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Chair
Wikimedia Board of Trustees

PS: I do not envy your successor for having to fill your role during “speech time”. I enjoyed every one of your introductions and talks at conferences and will miss the sentence “welkom vrienden van vrije kennis”  (I hope I am quoting it accurately) and the always inspiring link to something “completely different” which turned out to not be so different after all :)

On 30 Mar 2014, at 19:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Florence Devouard-3
I hope it is just a "goodbye" chapter-wise and will be happy to share a
beer with you in London (not an English one ;))

Flo

On 30/03/14 19:59, Ziko van Dijk wrote:

> Dear colleagues, collaborators and friends of free knowledge,
>
> After three eventful years I left the board of Wikimedia Nederland;
> yesterday was the General Assembly in Utrecht. This means a 'goodbye'.
>
> In this time, I had the privilege and pleasure to work with many great
> people in many different organisations. We saw a lot of small steps
> and some bigger ones directed to our common goal, the support of free
> knowledge. Certainly, not everything we as a movement or parts of the
> movement was achieved, though.
>
> Between many WMNL members and me, there were two grades of separation:
> coming from the humanities, my geekiness differs a little from the
> average Wikipedianess; having the German Wikipedia as my home wiki, I
> was never a very active or 'true' part of the Dutch editing community.
> And when I quoted in my speeches from medieval quests or Prussian
> literary realism, I received therefore some strange looks from some
> members.
>
> But I remain firmly convinced that good governance and respect have no
> nationality. Indeed, stroopwafels do have, and so I adopted the Dutch
> custom to bring them with me to Wikimedian meetings abroad.
>
> Wikimedia Nederland has experienced and overcome a difficult period of
> transition. Office space and employees, more members including more
> members without Wikipedia background, more activities, more money,
> more responsibility; more need for an association to mature and focus
> on what is necessary (and not always easy, cool or fun). We achieved
> that as a collective, slower than previously expected, but with the
> appropriate pride and good feelings about the future.
>
> Goodbye - and Hello: I am looking forward to see many of you again at
> whatever wiki, chat or real life meeting.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland

> Dr. Ziko van Dijk
>
> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht
> http://wikimedia.nl

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Goodbye as the German president of the Dutch chapter

Fæ
Thanks for all your hard work Ziko. It has always been appreciated.

Fae