[Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

[Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
In a recent thread about improving search, I posted a comment about a
possible hazard of relying on Google to search Wikipedia.[1] I explained
that Google had been displaying a text snippet from an outdated,
disruptive revision of the Gender page.[2] Well, that error has now
resurfaced, and at an editor's suggestion I posted to the Village Pump
about it.[3] The initial response at VP was essentially "not our
problem; go away" which was not exactly encouraging.

I'm sorry but if a major search engine is erroneously telling people
that Wikipedia is stating " There are only 2 genders. Male and Female",
that is a cause of concern for me, and I want to know if or how this
problem can be fixed. As I explained on the talk page and in the Village
Pump, Google's cache of the actual page is up to date; it's just the
snippet that is wrong.

- Pax

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/084890.html

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender&oldid=722247975

[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#Google_returning_outdated_text_snippet_for_Gender_page

--
Pax Ahimsa Gethen | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pine W
Hi Pax,

I believe that WMF Discovery is the team that is best suited to address
matters like this, so I am forwarding your email to the Discovery mailing
list.

Pine

On Aug 7, 2016 16:46, "Pax Ahimsa Gethen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In a recent thread about improving search, I posted a comment about a
> possible hazard of relying on Google to search Wikipedia.[1] I explained
> that Google had been displaying a text snippet from an outdated, disruptive
> revision of the Gender page.[2] Well, that error has now resurfaced, and at
> an editor's suggestion I posted to the Village Pump about it.[3] The
> initial response at VP was essentially "not our problem; go away" which was
> not exactly encouraging.
>
> I'm sorry but if a major search engine is erroneously telling people that
> Wikipedia is stating " There are only 2 genders. Male and Female", that is
> a cause of concern for me, and I want to know if or how this problem can be
> fixed. As I explained on the talk page and in the Village Pump, Google's
> cache of the actual page is up to date; it's just the snippet that is wrong.
>
> - Pax
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/
> 084890.html
>
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender&oldid=722247975
>
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(techni
> cal)#Google_returning_outdated_text_snippet_for_Gender_page
>
> --
> Pax Ahimsa Gethen | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Risker
Actually, the best way to get this addressed is to email Google. Best to
use the search result that you have concerns about, then go to the bottom
of the page, click "Send Feedback" and complete the form.

This is not, at its root, a Wikipedia problem.  Google has bots scanning
our articles on a near-constant basis, as well, but they don't scan
everything in real time.  I have seen very good results using this process,
often within the hour.

Risker

On 7 August 2016 at 20:24, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pax,
>
> I believe that WMF Discovery is the team that is best suited to address
> matters like this, so I am forwarding your email to the Discovery mailing
> list.
>
> Pine
>
> On Aug 7, 2016 16:46, "Pax Ahimsa Gethen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In a recent thread about improving search, I posted a comment about a
> > possible hazard of relying on Google to search Wikipedia.[1] I explained
> > that Google had been displaying a text snippet from an outdated,
> disruptive
> > revision of the Gender page.[2] Well, that error has now resurfaced, and
> at
> > an editor's suggestion I posted to the Village Pump about it.[3] The
> > initial response at VP was essentially "not our problem; go away" which
> was
> > not exactly encouraging.
> >
> > I'm sorry but if a major search engine is erroneously telling people that
> > Wikipedia is stating " There are only 2 genders. Male and Female", that
> is
> > a cause of concern for me, and I want to know if or how this problem can
> be
> > fixed. As I explained on the talk page and in the Village Pump, Google's
> > cache of the actual page is up to date; it's just the snippet that is
> wrong.
> >
> > - Pax
> >
> > [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/
> > 084890.html
> >
> > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender&oldid=722247975
> >
> > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(techni
> > cal)#Google_returning_outdated_text_snippet_for_Gender_page
> >
> > --
> > Pax Ahimsa Gethen | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
I did already contact Google about this issue, but I will try again. As
I mentioned though, their cache of the Gender page is up to date (August
1); it's just the text snippet preview (from May 26) that is wrong. And
this problem was previously corrected (after I first contacted Google)
before resurfacing, so this strikes me as a strange issue.

- Pax

On 8/7/16 5:34 PM, Risker wrote:

> Actually, the best way to get this addressed is to email Google. Best to
> use the search result that you have concerns about, then go to the bottom
> of the page, click "Send Feedback" and complete the form.
>
> This is not, at its root, a Wikipedia problem.  Google has bots scanning
> our articles on a near-constant basis, as well, but they don't scan
> everything in real time.  I have seen very good results using this process,
> often within the hour.
>
> Risker
>
> On 7 August 2016 at 20:24, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pax,
>>
>> I believe that WMF Discovery is the team that is best suited to address
>> matters like this, so I am forwarding your email to the Discovery mailing
>> list.
>>
>> Pine
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2016 16:46, "Pax Ahimsa Gethen" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In a recent thread about improving search, I posted a comment about a
>>> possible hazard of relying on Google to search Wikipedia.[1] I explained
>>> that Google had been displaying a text snippet from an outdated,
>> disruptive
>>> revision of the Gender page.[2] Well, that error has now resurfaced, and
>> at
>>> an editor's suggestion I posted to the Village Pump about it.[3] The
>>> initial response at VP was essentially "not our problem; go away" which
>> was
>>> not exactly encouraging.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry but if a major search engine is erroneously telling people that
>>> Wikipedia is stating " There are only 2 genders. Male and Female", that
>> is
>>> a cause of concern for me, and I want to know if or how this problem can
>> be
>>> fixed. As I explained on the talk page and in the Village Pump, Google's
>>> cache of the actual page is up to date; it's just the snippet that is
>> wrong.
>>> - Pax
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/
>>> 084890.html
>>>
>>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender&oldid=722247975
>>>
>>> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(techni
>>> cal)#Google_returning_outdated_text_snippet_for_Gender_page

--
Pax Ahimsa Gethen | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Dan Garry
Hello!

Wes has reached out to Google so that we can talk to them about the general
issue of out-of-date search results and snippets.

In the mean time, Risker is correct. Google crawls our sites at its own
pace, so we don't control anything directly. Reaching out to them is the
easiest and quickest way to get these kinds of issues fixed; in my personal
experience doing this, they're pretty fast at fixing these kinds of issues.

Thanks,
Dan

On 7 August 2016 at 17:34, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, the best way to get this addressed is to email Google. Best to
> use the search result that you have concerns about, then go to the bottom
> of the page, click "Send Feedback" and complete the form.
>
> This is not, at its root, a Wikipedia problem.  Google has bots scanning
> our articles on a near-constant basis, as well, but they don't scan
> everything in real time.  I have seen very good results using this process,
> often within the hour.
>
> Risker
>
> On 7 August 2016 at 20:24, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Pax,
> >
> > I believe that WMF Discovery is the team that is best suited to address
> > matters like this, so I am forwarding your email to the Discovery mailing
> > list.
> >
> > Pine
> >
> > On Aug 7, 2016 16:46, "Pax Ahimsa Gethen" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In a recent thread about improving search, I posted a comment about a
> > > possible hazard of relying on Google to search Wikipedia.[1] I
> explained
> > > that Google had been displaying a text snippet from an outdated,
> > disruptive
> > > revision of the Gender page.[2] Well, that error has now resurfaced,
> and
> > at
> > > an editor's suggestion I posted to the Village Pump about it.[3] The
> > > initial response at VP was essentially "not our problem; go away" which
> > was
> > > not exactly encouraging.
> > >
> > > I'm sorry but if a major search engine is erroneously telling people
> that
> > > Wikipedia is stating " There are only 2 genders. Male and Female", that
> > is
> > > a cause of concern for me, and I want to know if or how this problem
> can
> > be
> > > fixed. As I explained on the talk page and in the Village Pump,
> Google's
> > > cache of the actual page is up to date; it's just the snippet that is
> > wrong.
> > >
> > > - Pax
> > >
> > > [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/
> > > 084890.html
> > >
> > > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gender&oldid=722247975
> > >
> > > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(techni
> > > cal)#Google_returning_outdated_text_snippet_for_Gender_page
> > >
> > > --
> > > Pax Ahimsa Gethen | http://funcrunch.org

Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
Any news from Google? As I mentioned in an earlier thread reply,
Google's cache for the Gender page was up to date, showing an August 1
revision; it was just the text snippet that was outdated. However, since
yesterday, the cache as well as the snippet is now returning the
vandalized May 26 revision of the page. Multiple editors (including
myself) have contacted Google to attempt to remove the incorrect
information; this issue is still being actively discussed at the Village
Pump:

On 8/8/16 10:24 AM, Dan Garry wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Wes has reached out to Google so that we can talk to them about the general
> issue of out-of-date search results and snippets.
>
> In the mean time, Risker is correct. Google crawls our sites at its own
> pace, so we don't control anything directly. Reaching out to them is the
> easiest and quickest way to get these kinds of issues fixed; in my personal
> experience doing this, they're pretty fast at fixing these kinds of issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> On 7 August 2016 at 17:34, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Actually, the best way to get this addressed is to email Google. Best to
>> use the search result that you have concerns about, then go to the bottom
>> of the page, click "Send Feedback" and complete the form.
>>
>> This is not, at its root, a Wikipedia problem.  Google has bots scanning
>> our articles on a near-constant basis, as well, but they don't scan
>> everything in real time.  I have seen very good results using this process,
>> often within the hour.
>>
>> Risker
>>
>> On 7 August 2016 at 20:24, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pax,
>>>
>>> I believe that WMF Discovery is the team that is best suited to address
>>> matters like this, so I am forwarding your email to the Discovery mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Pine

>> explained
>>> disruptive
>> and
>>> at
>>> was

>> that
>>> is
>> can
>>> be
>> Google's
>>> wrong.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
Update: The Google search results and cached page for Gender are now
correct. I'll be keeping an eye on this search, as this problem was
previously resolved and then reoccurred (as I mentioned at the start of
this thread).

- Pax

Pax Ahimsa Gethen | [hidden email] | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Google returning outdated text snippet

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
As I feared, the problem has returned. When searching Google for
"gender" this morning, the text snippet showed the vandalized revision
from May 26, which was revdeleted on August 12. Google's cache of the
page is from August 13, so that's up to date.

I am seriously wondering now if someone is manipulating the search
results somehow. I have posted an update to the thread on the Village
Pump: