[Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

[Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Asaf Bartov-2
Hello, everyone.

I'm pleased to announce that we have significantly expanded the Grant
Advisory Committee (GAC)[1] as of today, and it now numbers 30 volunteers,
following an open process and public calls for volunteers.  The updated
list of members is here[2].  With this expansion, we hope to achieve a
higher degree of community participation in the Foundation's evaluation of
grant proposals for its Wikimedia Grants program[3], as well as more
diverse feedback and advice for grant applicants on how to refine their
proposals for best impact.

The GAC was set up almost exactly one year ago, and has been quietly doing
what is frankly a thankless job.  I applaud and thank the volunteers who
have done this work so far, and look forward to easing their load a little
now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
grant proposals they would be called upon to review.

Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
grants program.

   Asaf

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership
[3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Index
--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Abbas Mahmood

Welcome!
Looking forward to working with the new members.
SincerelyAbbas.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:20:20 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded
>
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I'm pleased to announce that we have significantly expanded the Grant
> Advisory Committee (GAC)[1] as of today, and it now numbers 30 volunteers,
> following an open process and public calls for volunteers.  The updated
> list of members is here[2].  With this expansion, we hope to achieve a
> higher degree of community participation in the Foundation's evaluation of
> grant proposals for its Wikimedia Grants program[3], as well as more
> diverse feedback and advice for grant applicants on how to refine their
> proposals for best impact.
>
> The GAC was set up almost exactly one year ago, and has been quietly doing
> what is frankly a thankless job.  I applaud and thank the volunteers who
> have done this work so far, and look forward to easing their load a little
> now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
> grant proposals they would be called upon to review.
>
> Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
> fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
> grants program.
>
>    Asaf
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership
> [3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Index
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Anirudh S. Bhati
Hi Asaf,

Thank you for posting this and a grand welcome to all the new arrivals in
the GAC. ;)

I see that some of the folks have chosen to remain anonymous (many of whom
I identify as prolific contributors to our projects) but I would like to
know whether the Wikimedia Foundation has independently verified their
identity prior to induction into the body?

I understand that the body plays only an advisory role into the process
with the final decision resting on the staff, however, the GAC voice
carries a fair amount of weight as well (as far as I'm aware).  Therefore,
I believe, it would serve the interest of all the stakeholders, specially
the community, to know and be assured that the WMF has already taken steps
to identify those who would be responsible for advising the WMF on the
dissemination of funds to grant applications from individuals and chapters
(non-FDC).

My personal opinion is that though anonymity is great motivator for our
volunteer contributors on projects, but at the same time it can lead to
reduced accountability and moral responsibility for work that has direct
implications in the real world.  I apologize in advance if I have made any
mistake in fact, and would be happy to hear any differing views on the
subject.

Sincerely,

Anirudh Bhati

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I'm pleased to announce that we have significantly expanded the Grant
> Advisory Committee (GAC)[1] as of today, and it now numbers 30 volunteers,
> following an open process and public calls for volunteers.  The updated
> list of members is here[2].  With this expansion, we hope to achieve a
> higher degree of community participation in the Foundation's evaluation of
> grant proposals for its Wikimedia Grants program[3], as well as more
> diverse feedback and advice for grant applicants on how to refine their
> proposals for best impact.
>
> The GAC was set up almost exactly one year ago, and has been quietly doing
> what is frankly a thankless job.  I applaud and thank the volunteers who
> have done this work so far, and look forward to easing their load a little
> now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
> grant proposals they would be called upon to review.
>
> Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
> fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
> grants program.
>
>    Asaf
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership
> [3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Index
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov
You can always check the list of users identified to the Foundation:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Identification_noticeboard

Alex

2012/7/24 Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
> > grant proposals they would be called upon to review.
> >
> > Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
> > fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
> > grants program.
> >
> >    Asaf
> >
> > [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
> > [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership
> > [3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Index
> > --
> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:13:27 +0000, J Alexandr Ledbury-Romanov wrote:
> You can always check the list of users identified to the Foundation:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Identification_noticeboard
>
> Alex

Which means the answer is no: not all committee members have been
identified.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Ivan Martínez
Thank you very much for the opportunity and trust. I'll do my best!
Saludos.

2012/7/23 Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]>

> Welcome!
> Looking forward to working with the new members.
> SincerelyAbbas.
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:20:20 -0700
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded
> >
> > Hello, everyone.
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that we have significantly expanded the Grant
> > Advisory Committee (GAC)[1] as of today, and it now numbers 30
> volunteers,
> > following an open process and public calls for volunteers.  The updated
> > list of members is here[2].  With this expansion, we hope to achieve a
> > higher degree of community participation in the Foundation's evaluation
> of
> > grant proposals for its Wikimedia Grants program[3], as well as more
> > diverse feedback and advice for grant applicants on how to refine their
> > proposals for best impact.
> >
> > The GAC was set up almost exactly one year ago, and has been quietly
> doing
> > what is frankly a thankless job.  I applaud and thank the volunteers who
> > have done this work so far, and look forward to easing their load a
> little
> > now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
> > grant proposals they would be called upon to review.
> >
> > Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
> > fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
> > grants program.
> >
> >    Asaf
> >
> > [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
> > [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership
> > [3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Index
> > --
> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org

*Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Coordinador General
Wikimedia México
mx.wikimedia.org

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre
a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo <http://es.wikipedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Béria Lima
The question is: They will?

(For disclosure, I'm a member of GAC - since the beginning last year - and
I'm identified since 2008.)
_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:13:05 -0300, Béria Lima wrote:

> The question is: They will?
>
> (For disclosure, I'm a member of GAC - since the beginning last year
> - and
> I'm identified since 2008.)
> _____
> *Béria Lima*
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de
> ter
> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
> construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

I checked that there are 2011 GAC members who were not identified. I
assumed since nobody cared for a year, this is not considered necessary.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Katie Chan
 >> Which means the answer is no: not all committee members have been
 >> identified.
 >>
 >> Cheers
 >> Yaroslav

Hardly any are, including existing members. Those that are identified to
the foundation are so because of other current or former positions.

On 24/07/2012 16:13, Béria Lima wrote:
> The question is: They will?
>
> (For disclosure, I'm a member of GAC - since the beginning last year - and
> I'm identified since 2008.)

AFAIK, it's not been a requirement and it wasn't stated as a requirement
in the call for (self-)nomination, which I was slightly surprised at
initially but seeing as there's no access to either restricted
permissions or non-public data[1], is thus not covered by the Access to
nonpublic data policy[2].

KTC

(Disclosure: New member, identified 2008.)

[1] Everything is done on Meta
[2] <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_data_policy>

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Federico Leva (Nemo)
As the GAC doesn't actually take any decision, nor handles any private
data (it seems), I don't see why it should require identification.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Asaf Bartov-2
Hi, Anirudh.

Thanks for the welcoming note.  As others have noted, we have not required
all members to identify to the Foundation, and those that are identified
are so in other capacities.  As Katie and Nemo pointed out, GAC work is all
done in the open on Meta, and no personal information or actual money is
involved, so it is not felt necessary to require identification.

Furthermore, it is hoped that the open nomination process gave ample time
to express concerns, publicly or privately.

So we take the wiki way, which is to trust people in their chosen
identities to the extent practical and permissible by law.

Cheers,

   Asaf

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org