[Wikimedia-l] Greener, plastic-free conferences and events

[Wikimedia-l] Greener, plastic-free conferences and events

Andy Mabbett-2
I'm interested to see how we can make our conferences, not least
Wikimania, and other events more green and, particularly, use less
plastic.

I see from:

   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sustainability_Initiative

that:

<quote>

On February 24, 2017, the board of trustees of the Wikimedia
Foundation adopted the following resolution as a result of this
initiative:

The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to seeking ways to reduce the
impact of our activities on the environment. We aim to always act
responsibly and sustainably as possible, including favoring renewable
energy for our operations. We believe that a long-term commitment to
sustainability is an essential component of our work towards the
Wikimedia mission and vision.To this end, the Wikimedia Foundation
makes the following commitments:

* We will seek to minimize our overall impact on the environment;
* We will consider sustainability as an important part of decisions
around servers, operations, travel, offices, and other procurement;
* We will use green energy where it is available and financially prudent; and
* Starting in 2018, we will include an environmental impact statement
in our annual plan.

</quote>

for example:

* use cotton (not plastic) lanyards; or avoid lanyards altogether
* don't give away cheap plastic pens, etc.
* avoid bottled water, where tap water is potable, otherwise use glass bottles
* avoid sandwiches in plastic (or plastic-lined) packs
* avoid disposable cutlery and plastic plates
* ensure waste is collected, appropriately sorted and recycled

How can we build this into our movement?

Should it be a consideration in assessing grant funding applications?

Would a more specific resolution from the board help?

Who at WMF has oversight responsibility for these issues?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Greener, plastic-free conferences and events

Alessandro Marchetti
We could start plant trees at the conferences. it's also a nice social event. You can ask people who enroll if they want to pay the cost of a tree (you know CO2 footprint of a plane) and than they can plant it, with a picture.

 And you can also  put a bed of organic residues of food left overs from waste sorting as compost.

Alessandro
    Il Martedì 21 Novembre 2017 16:01, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

[...]

Fæ
On 21 November 2017 at 15:00, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm interested to see how we can make our conferences, not least
> Wikimania, and other events more green and, particularly, use less
> plastic.
>
> I see from:
>
>    https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sustainability_Initiative
>
> that:
>
> <quote>
>
> On February 24, 2017, the board of trustees of the Wikimedia
> Foundation adopted the following resolution as a result of this
> initiative:
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to seeking ways to reduce the
> impact of our activities on the environment. We aim to always act
> responsibly and sustainably as possible, including favoring renewable
> energy for our operations. We believe that a long-term commitment to
> sustainability is an essential component of our work towards the
> Wikimedia mission and vision.To this end, the Wikimedia Foundation
> makes the following commitments:
>
> * We will seek to minimize our overall impact on the environment;
> * We will consider sustainability as an important part of decisions
> around servers, operations, travel, offices, and other procurement;
> * We will use green energy where it is available and financially prudent; and
> * Starting in 2018, we will include an environmental impact statement
> in our annual plan.
>
> </quote>
>
> for example:
>
> * use cotton (not plastic) lanyards; or avoid lanyards altogether
> * don't give away cheap plastic pens, etc.
> * avoid bottled water, where tap water is potable, otherwise use glass bottles
> * avoid sandwiches in plastic (or plastic-lined) packs
> * avoid disposable cutlery and plastic plates
> * ensure waste is collected, appropriately sorted and recycled
>
> How can we build this into our movement?
>
> Should it be a consideration in assessing grant funding applications?
>
> Would a more specific resolution from the board help?
>
> Who at WMF has oversight responsibility for these issues?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Thanks for raising the topic. It's been raised before, but there
should be more public credit given to events and conferences that make
the extra effort to be green.

I definitely support this being a more visible goal, along with
helpful checklists, for funding events. Logically the "environmental
impact statement" should be seen to flow down as requirements on all
affiliates, something I'll be looking for in 2018.

The biggest environmental impact from our conferences, comes from
staff and volunteers flying around the world, when the WMF and
affiliates could do more to encourage virtual meetings and to manage a
stronger virtual engagement. At the moment virtual participation at
WMCON or Wikimania is often limited to the odd livestreamed
presentation or small working group supported by a video hangout; it's
at a low level and it would be nice to see far more experimentation
with technology and virtual presence.

The deliberately small choices you mention of avoiding plastic or
encouraging attendees to do something simple like reuse and refill one
cup for the day, or ensuring that caters are serving local food with
low mileage,[1] makes a lot of sense. Even if this added slightly to
an event's expenses, I think everyone would applaud the deliberate
selection of venues and suppliers that make low environmental impact a
priority.

Links
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_miles

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Greener, plastic-free conferences and events

Ed Erhart
Hi Fae,

On virtual participation, we learned quite a bit from a remote-first
strategy: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/09/05/wikimania-2017-materials/

Best,
--Ed

*Ed Erhart*