[Wikimedia-l] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

[Wikimedia-l] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Amir E. Aharoni
Hello, and happy Africa day!

[ crossposted to African Wikimedians list, general Wikimedia list, and
mediawiki-i18n ]

To celebrate this, I am announcing the completion of a little pet project
that I started a year ago: it is now easy to type in all the languages of
Africa in which there is a Wikipedia or an active Incubator.

This is available in all Wikimedia projects and in translatewiki.net. This
release is intended for desktop and laptop computers. For mobile phones and
tablets, I strongly recommend trying apps such as Gboard, SwiftKey, or
African Keyboard.

For full details and project description see this blog post:
https://aharoni.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/happy-africa-day-keyboards-for-all-african-wikipedia-languages/

Or jump straight into the (easy!!!) technical documentation here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input_methods/Africa

These keyboards were tested by myself, and some of them were also tested by
a few other people who speak these languages, and as far as I know they are
easy to enable and disable and the work correctly. However, it's possible
that some things are missing: I could have missed some letters, I could
have made mistakes in documentation, I could have missed some languages.
Please contact me if you find any problems.

Thanks!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [African Wikimedians] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Isaac Olatunde
Hello Amir,

Thank you for this great work. I have been enjoying the Yoruba keyboard you
designed for me over over three years ago. I am proud to say that in have
translated over 250 articles from English Wikipedia to Yoruba Wikipedia
using the keyboards and I have trained others on now to use it and they
have also translated over 200 articles to Yoruba Wikipedia. Without, this
keyboard it's usually uninteresting for native speakers to contribute to
Yoruba Wikipedia but that problem has now been mitigated by your work.

Again, thank you so much on behalf of the Yoruba Wikipedia community.

Regards,

Isaac

(Apology for mistakenly posting with the indaba email connected to my
device)

On Sat, May 25, 2019, 8:29 AM WikiIndaba 2019 Nigeria <
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello Amir,
>
> Thank you for this great work. I have been enjoying the Yoruba keyboard
> you designed for me over over three years ago. I am proud to say that in
> have translated over 250 articles from English Wikipedia to Yoruba
> Wikipedia using the keyboards and I have trained others on now to use it
> and they have also translated over 200 articles to Yoruba Wikipedia.
> Without, this keyboard it's usually uninteresting for native speakers to
> contribute to Yoruba Wikipedia but that problem has now been mitigated by
> your work.
>
> Again, thank you so much on behalf of the Yoruba Wikipedia community.
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac
>
> On Sat, May 25, 2019, 8:20 AM Amir E. Aharoni <
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello, and happy Africa day!
>>
>> [ crossposted to African Wikimedians list, general Wikimedia list, and
>> mediawiki-i18n ]
>>
>> To celebrate this, I am announcing the completion of a little pet project
>> that I started a year ago: it is now easy to type in all the languages of
>> Africa in which there is a Wikipedia or an active Incubator.
>>
>> This is available in all Wikimedia projects and in translatewiki.net.
>> This release is intended for desktop and laptop computers. For mobile
>> phones and tablets, I strongly recommend trying apps such as Gboard,
>> SwiftKey, or African Keyboard.
>>
>> For full details and project description see this blog post:
>>
>> https://aharoni.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/happy-africa-day-keyboards-for-all-african-wikipedia-languages/
>>
>> Or jump straight into the (easy!!!) technical documentation here:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input_methods/Africa
>>
>> These keyboards were tested by myself, and some of them were also tested
>> by a few other people who speak these languages, and as far as I know they
>> are easy to enable and disable and the work correctly. However, it's
>> possible that some things are missing: I could have missed some letters, I
>> could have made mistakes in documentation, I could have missed some
>> languages. Please contact me if you find any problems.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [African Wikimedians] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hey Isaac,
Would you be willing to either write an article about using the Yoruba
keyboard. Particularly what it takes to learn to use it and if/how you use
other software? It would deserve a place on the Wikimedia blog because the
keyboard effort deserves much more attention :)
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 11:28, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> These keyboards were tested by myself, and some of them were also tested
> >> by a few other people who speak these languages, and as far as I know
> they
> >> are easy to enable and disable and the work correctly. However, it's
> >> possible that some things are missing: I could have missed some
> letters, I
> >> could have made mistakes in documentation, I could have missed some
> >> languages. Please contact me if you find any problems.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> >> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> >> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> >> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [African Wikimedians] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Sure, I'd be happy to! This makes a lot of sense. Who is in charge of the
blog at WMF?

Regards,

Isaac

On Sat, May 25, 2019, 11:27 AM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Hey Isaac,
> Would you be willing to either write an article about using the Yoruba
> keyboard. Particularly what it takes to learn to use it and if/how you use
> other software? It would deserve a place on the Wikimedia blog because the
> keyboard effort deserves much more attention :)
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 11:28, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Amir,
>>
>> Thank you for this great work. I have been enjoying the Yoruba keyboard
>> you
>> designed for me over over three years ago. I am proud to say that in have
>> translated over 250 articles from English Wikipedia to Yoruba Wikipedia
>> using the keyboards and I have trained others on now to use it and they
>> have also translated over 200 articles to Yoruba Wikipedia. Without, this
>> keyboard it's usually uninteresting for native speakers to contribute to
>> Yoruba Wikipedia but that problem has now been mitigated by your work.
>>
>> Again, thank you so much on behalf of the Yoruba Wikipedia community.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Isaac
>>
>> (Apology for mistakenly posting with the indaba email connected to my
>> device)
>>
>> On Sat, May 25, 2019, 8:29 AM WikiIndaba 2019 Nigeria <
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Amir,
>> >
>> > Thank you for this great work. I have been enjoying the Yoruba keyboard
>> > you designed for me over over three years ago. I am proud to say that in
>> > have translated over 250 articles from English Wikipedia to Yoruba
>> > Wikipedia using the keyboards and I have trained others on now to use it
>> > and they have also translated over 200 articles to Yoruba Wikipedia.
>> > Without, this keyboard it's usually uninteresting for native speakers to
>> > contribute to Yoruba Wikipedia but that problem has now been mitigated
>> by
>> > your work.
>> >
>> > Again, thank you so much on behalf of the Yoruba Wikipedia community.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Isaac

>> project
>> of

>> https://aharoni.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/happy-africa-day-keyboards-for-all-african-wikipedia-languages/

>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input_methods/Africa

>> tested
>> they
>> letters, I

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Shlomi Fish
On Sat, 25 May 2019 10:19:45 +0300
"Amir E. Aharoni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, and happy Africa day!
>
> [ crossposted to African Wikimedians list, general Wikimedia list, and
> mediawiki-i18n ]
>
> To celebrate this, I am announcing the completion of a little pet project
> that I started a year ago: it is now easy to type in all the languages of
> Africa in which there is a Wikipedia or an active Incubator.
>
> This is available in all Wikimedia projects and in translatewiki.net. This
> release is intended for desktop and laptop computers. For mobile phones and
> tablets, I strongly recommend trying apps such as Gboard, SwiftKey, or
> African Keyboard.
>
> For full details and project description see this blog post:
> https://aharoni.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/happy-africa-day-keyboards-for-all-african-wikipedia-languages/
>
> Or jump straight into the (easy!!!) technical documentation here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input_methods/Africa
>
> These keyboards were tested by myself, and some of them were also tested by
> a few other people who speak these languages, and as far as I know they are
> easy to enable and disable and the work correctly. However, it's possible
> that some things are missing: I could have missed some letters, I could
> have made mistakes in documentation, I could have missed some languages.
> Please contact me if you find any problems.

Thanks for your work.

> Thanks!

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [African Wikimedians] Happy Africa Day: keyboards for all the languages of Africa

Ed Erhart
Hey folks,

That'd be me! I'll follow up with Amir and Isaac directly.

Best,
--Ed

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:32 AM Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sure, I'd be happy to! This makes a lot of sense. Who is in charge of the
> blog at WMF?
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac
>
> On Sat, May 25, 2019, 11:27 AM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> wrote:
>
> > Hey Isaac,
> > Would you be willing to either write an article about using the Yoruba
> > keyboard. Particularly what it takes to learn to use it and if/how you
> use
> > other software? It would deserve a place on the Wikimedia blog because
> the
> > keyboard effort deserves much more attention :)
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 11:28, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Amir,
> >>
> >> Thank you for this great work. I have been enjoying the Yoruba keyboard
> >> you
> >> designed for me over over three years ago. I am proud to say that in
> have
> >> translated over 250 articles from English Wikipedia to Yoruba Wikipedia
> >> using the keyboards and I have trained others on now to use it and they
> >> have also translated over 200 articles to Yoruba Wikipedia. Without,
> this
> >> keyboard it's usually uninteresting for native speakers to contribute to
> >> Yoruba Wikipedia but that problem has now been mitigated by your work.
> >>
> >> Again, thank you so much on behalf of the Yoruba Wikipedia community.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Isaac
> >>
> >> (Apology for mistakenly posting with the indaba email connected to my
> >> device)

> keyboard
> in
> it
> >> by

> and

> >> project
> languages
> >> of

> .

> https://aharoni.wordpress.com/2019/05/25/happy-africa-day-keyboards-for-all-african-wikipedia-languages/

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input_methods/Africa

> >> tested
> >> they
> >> letters, I

[image: Wikimedia-logo black.svg] *Ed Erhart* (he/him)

Senior Editorial Associate