[Wikimedia-l] Hard spaces being added by the hundreds

[Wikimedia-l] Hard spaces being added by the hundreds

jmh649
Hey All

I have no idea what to do. I have been asking around. Hard spaces are being
adding to English Wikipedia by the 100s to 1000s. I have no idea why and I
have no idea how to fix it.

I have brought this up here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:WhatamIdoing#Hard_spaces

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd#Stop_adding_

Folks appear to be saying that the problem is someone elses problem. It
appears to be mainly coming from education initiatives / those who use
visual editor and thus I imaging copying and pasting content between
different parts of Wikipedia.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Hard spaces being added by the hundreds

jmh649
Per recommendations I have started a phabricator ticket here
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183647

Help if I filled it out wrong appreciated :-) Happy holidays / Merry X-mas.

James

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Hard spaces being added by the hundreds

Strainu
James, I've reported a similar issue back in 2012:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd/Archive_013#wikiEd_replaces_the_non_breaking_space_(U+00A0)_character_with_space_(U+0020)
 Apparently the way to "solve" this non-issue has changed (for the
better IMHO, but I can see why you consider it as worse).

I would suggest dropping wikiEd at once for one of the more modern
editors, such as the syntax highlighting feature or the 2017 source
editor. It will probably break your workflow for a while, but in the
long term the benefits will outweigh the issues.

Strainu

> Per recommendations I have started a phabricator ticket here
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183647
>
> Help if I filled it out wrong appreciated :-) Happy holidays / Merry X-mas.
>
> James
>
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey All
>>
>> I have no idea what to do. I have been asking around. Hard spaces are
>> being adding to English Wikipedia by the 100s to 1000s. I have no idea why
>> and I have no idea how to fix it.
>>
>> I have brought this up here https://en.wikipedia.org/
>> wiki/User_talk:WhatamIdoing#Hard_spaces
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd#Stop_adding_&nbsp;
>>
>> Folks appear to be saying that the problem is someone elses problem. It
>> appears to be mainly coming from education initiatives / those who use
>> visual editor and thus I imaging copying and pasting content between
>> different parts of Wikipedia.
>>
>> --
>> James Heilman
>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>>

> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Hard spaces being added by the hundreds

jmh649
Thanks Strainu

I will fiddle around with those suggestions. It appears to be possible to
adapt the colors within syntax highlighting. So maybe I can get a version
of that which uses the WikEd colors.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Tech/Wikitext_editor_syntax_highlighting#the_current_color_scheme_is_hard_to_read_(which_renders_highlighting_useless)

James

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James, I've reported a similar issue back in 2012:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd/
> Archive_013#wikiEd_replaces_the_non_breaking_space_(U+
> 00A0)_character_with_space_(U+0020)
>  Apparently the way to "solve" this non-issue has changed (for the
> better IMHO, but I can see why you consider it as worse).
>
> I would suggest dropping wikiEd at once for one of the more modern
> editors, such as the syntax highlighting feature or the 2017 source
> editor. It will probably break your workflow for a while, but in the
> long term the benefits will outweigh the issues.
>
> Strainu

> > Per recommendations I have started a phabricator ticket here
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183647
> >
> > Help if I filled it out wrong appreciated :-) Happy holidays / Merry
> X-mas.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey All
> >>
> >> I have no idea what to do. I have been asking around. Hard spaces are
> >> being adding to English Wikipedia by the 100s to 1000s. I have no idea
> why
> >> and I have no idea how to fix it.
> >>
> >> I have brought this up here https://en.wikipedia.org/
> >> wiki/User_talk:WhatamIdoing#Hard_spaces
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cacycle/wikEd#Stop_adding_&nbsp
> ;
> >>
> >> Folks appear to be saying that the problem is someone elses problem. It
> >> appears to be mainly coming from education initiatives / those who use
> >> visual editor and thus I imaging copying and pasting content between
> >> different parts of Wikipedia.
> >>
> >> --
> >> James Heilman
> >> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian