[Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

jmh649
Our World in Data has created 100s of heat maps with scroll bars for
adjusting the year. The maps as well as the underlying data is under an
open license.

Example include these https://ourworldindata.org/obesity/

When one puts their cursor over the country in question they get the
underlying data and the country is highlighted. What would be required for
use to support this sort of technology within Wikipedia?

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Yuri Astrakhan
James, which open license? There is a request pending to allow non cc0
licensed data in commons, but still waiting for legal.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178210

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017, 11:22 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Our World in Data has created 100s of heat maps with scroll bars for
> adjusting the year. The maps as well as the underlying data is under an
> open license.
>
> Example include these https://ourworldindata.org/obesity/
>
> When one puts their cursor over the country in question they get the
> underlying data and the country is highlighted. What would be required for
> use to support this sort of technology within Wikipedia?
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

jmh649
It is all under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.

You can also download all the data as a csv file.

James

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> James, which open license? There is a request pending to allow non cc0
> licensed data in commons, but still waiting for legal.
>
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178210
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017, 11:22 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Our World in Data has created 100s of heat maps with scroll bars for
> > adjusting the year. The maps as well as the underlying data is under an
> > open license.
> >
> > Example include these https://ourworldindata.org/obesity/
> >
> > When one puts their cursor over the country in question they get the
> > underlying data and the country is highlighted. What would be required
> for
> > use to support this sort of technology within Wikipedia?
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Yuri Astrakhan
So yes, technically it is a two minute work--allow ccby in commons data
namespace, but legal has to answer first if they want much more substantial
changes. I asked about a month ago for a clarification

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017, 11:38 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is all under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.
>
> You can also download all the data as a csv file.
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > James, which open license? There is a request pending to allow non cc0
> > licensed data in commons, but still waiting for legal.
> >
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178210
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017, 11:22 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Our World in Data has created 100s of heat maps with scroll bars for
> > > adjusting the year. The maps as well as the underlying data is under an
> > > open license.
> > >
> > > Example include these https://ourworldindata.org/obesity/
> > >
> > > When one puts their cursor over the country in question they get the
> > > underlying data and the country is highlighted. What would be required
> > for
> > > use to support this sort of technology within Wikipedia?
> > >
> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

jmh649
Also all the underlying software is also under an open license,
specifically the MIT license and can be found on Github per

https://ourworldindata.org/about/

James

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
That'd be pretty cool.

On Dec 29, 2017 17:44, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also all the underlying software is also under an open license,
> specifically the MIT license and can be found on Github per
>
> https://ourworldindata.org/about/
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It is all under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.
> >
> > You can also download all the data as a csv file.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> James, which open license? There is a request pending to allow non cc0
> >> licensed data in commons, but still waiting for legal.
> >>
> >> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178210

> an

> >> for

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >

> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Renée Bagslint
Why not simply raise this directly with the WMF strategic lead for
innovation?

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That'd be pretty cool.
>
> On Dec 29, 2017 17:44, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also all the underlying software is also under an open license,
> > specifically the MIT license and can be found on Github per
> >
> > https://ourworldindata.org/about/
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It is all under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.
> > >
> > > You can also download all the data as a csv file.
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <
> [hidden email]

> > an

> required

> > ,
> unsubscribe>
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >

> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Alphos OGame
*squeeeeeeee…*
Animated scrollable heat maps for dozens of yearly measurements using
sensible color schemes, mouseover info, and relying on freely licensed data
and software ? Doc, it's fair to say you just made my evening if not my
entire week !
Having the whole thing on Commons — and Wikipedia and Wikidata, in one form
or another — would be absolutely fantastic.
</map freak>

Alphos

> That'd be pretty cool.
>
> On Dec 29, 2017 17:44, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also all the underlying software is also under an open license,
> > specifically the MIT license and can be found on Github per
> >
> > https://ourworldindata.org/about/
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It is all under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.
> > >
> > > You can also download all the data as a csv file.
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <
> [hidden email]

> > an

> required

> > ,
> unsubscribe>
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >

> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

Yuri Astrakhan
Just FYI - We can already do most of the interactive graphing on Wikipedia
with Vega. Examples are vega v3, but WP is still on v2, but most
capabilities are there already.
* See examples https://vega.github.io/vega/examples/ of what's possible
* Some WP examples at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph/Demo

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Renée Bagslint <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Why not simply raise this directly with the WMF strategic lead for
> innovation?
>

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > That'd be pretty cool.
> >
> > On Dec 29, 2017 17:44, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Also all the underlying software is also under an open license,
> > > specifically the MIT license and can be found on Github per
> > >
> > > https://ourworldindata.org/about/
> > >
> > > James

> > [hidden email]

> cc0

> for
> under
> > > an

> the
> > required

> > > ,
> > unsubscribe>
> > ,
> unsubscribe>

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Heat Maps

jmh649
We have our first heat map of the world based on CC BY SA 4.0 data live
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine#Update

Attribution is provided in the caption. Still a few political hurdles that
need to solved. We have an ongoing RfC about whether we should allow CC BY
SA 4.0 data on commons.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Proposals#Proposal_to_include_non-CC0_licenses_for_the_Data_namespace

The interactive map could also use a few formating tweaks but IMO really
cool :-)

James

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian