[Wikimedia-l] Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

[Wikimedia-l] Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

gordonisnz
 Hello.

Im the admin of a newish (by definition) mediawiki.org wiki. and have
a few queries about which settings etc i should be using.

i am very familiar with web design / programming etc (not a newbie),
however when looking over your mailing lists for this type of wiki, I
am confused.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

also - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Overview

im finding mailing lists of requesting funds, setting up new local
groups, competitions, education progarmmes, committees, media etc &
all these other "administration" type lists.

Can anyone advise which list i should be joining on "how to" do, or
"how to find" etc type queries. for people who are new to running a
wikimedia wiki and want to set up the wiki correctly.

Thank you

--

Gordon.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

James Hare-5
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hello.
>
> Im the admin of a newish (by definition) mediawiki.org wiki. and have
> a few queries about which settings etc i should be using.
>
> i am very familiar with web design / programming etc (not a newbie),
> however when looking over your mailing lists for this type of wiki, I
> am confused.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
>
> also - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Overview
>
> im finding mailing lists of requesting funds, setting up new local
> groups, competitions, education progarmmes, committees, media etc &
> all these other "administration" type lists.
>
> Can anyone advise which list i should be joining on "how to" do, or
> "how to find" etc type queries. for people who are new to running a
> wikimedia wiki and want to set up the wiki correctly.
>
> Thank you
>

> --
>
> Gordon.

----
James Hare
Associate Product Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
https://wikimediafoundation.org

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 3:23 AM James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:49 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It sounds like you would like the MediaWiki-l mailing list. MediaWiki is
> the software that runs Wikipedia and many similar projects.

Thats this list :) the one i posted to.

My main initial queries is/are

a) I occasionally check my wiki & see there are dozens / hundreds of
people signing up as users - but no one is creating any pages.

is there a place i can see that can check that people CAN create pages
- but they are pending / needing approval to be published ?
i'm guessing that people create new accounts but cant do anything. how
do i check ?

b) is there something i can do to force the wiki to send an email to
the admin (me) - to check that i am receiving emails. (I periodically
forget about this wiki as i'm not getting anything).

c) where do i (if i can) edit the script to use my own mailing process
instead of the default process to send emails.

--

Gordon.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:12 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 3:23 AM James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like you would like the MediaWiki-l mailing list. MediaWiki is
> > the software that runs Wikipedia and many similar projects.
>
> Thats this list :) the one i posted to.

Briefly:
This list is
you want