[Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

[Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

Fae-4
The answer is we have real idea how gay friendly the projects are, but
LGBT Wikimedians have been doing a lot more outreach recently and we
think this is great evidence for our increasing diversity.

From a few chats over tea at the GLAMwiki conference last weekend, I
realised that most folks with an interest in LGBT matters were either
unaware that anything had changed in the last year, or just had not
got around to finding out where to go for more information (apart from
asking me). So, here are 4 new global resources created in the last 12
months for you to investigate, share with friends or bookmark for
later:

* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_LGBT
If you are interested in discussing and helping with LGBT related open
knowledge content, projects, partnerships, issues or events then you
can find out more about what's going on and contribute new proposals
here.

* https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:LGBT_Free_Media_Collective
This is a Commons wikiproject to encourage more LGBT friendly photos
and other media for use on all projects. So if you have an archive of
photos from LGBT events, or are part of an organization with
educational media to release, this might be a good place to find out
how to share them with the world.

This is a managed email list for any LGBT interested Wikimedians to
safely bounce around new ideas, raise questions, discuss ways of
increasing LGBT participation in Wikimedia projects and general
coordination. It is low volume, with around 3 threads a month at the
moment. Drop an email to one of the list admins if you want to know
more about how it is managed before joining up.

* irc://irc.wikimedia.org/wikimedia-lgbt
Our friendly open IRC channel. Good for chat about LGBT projects and
recent news, though you may need a lot of patience and wait a few
hours for replies - others logged in might be asleep, the other side
of the planet, or working and will not see your message until home
time. But it's not a dating line, other sites are available for that
:-)

Cheers,
Fae
--
[hidden email] http://j.mp/faewm
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

Tom Morris-5
On Monday, 15 April 2013 at 08:31, Fae wrote:

> The answer is we have real idea how gay friendly the projects are, but
> LGBT Wikimedians have been doing a lot more outreach recently and we
> think this is great evidence for our increasing diversity.
>
> From a few chats over tea at the GLAMwiki conference last weekend, I
> realised that most folks with an interest in LGBT matters were either
> unaware that anything had changed in the last year, or just had not
> got around to finding out where to go for more information (apart from
> asking me). So, here are 4 new global resources created in the last 12
> months for you to investigate, share with friends or bookmark for
> later:

Thanks for posting this, Fæ.

I'm hoping that the mailing list can be used for a variety of purposes, both as a safe space for discussing how to handle issues faced by LGBT Wikimedians, and for discussion of what people are working on, developing LGBT content on Wikimedia and so on. It'd be great if list members could post stubs they've been working on at Wikipedia, Wikinews articles, collections of photos they've uploaded to Commons and so on.

As for IRC, while it may not be a dating service, there is occasional campy, flirty silliness. :-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

derfussi
Interesting Topic. The Wikivoyage association’s chairman is gay as well. So he will have an eye on the diversity on WV. He (me) started the travel Topic “gaytravel” and created a small article about gay travel in Cambodia already (http://de.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Thema:Schwul-Lesbisches_Reisen_in_Kambodscha). I hope more information will find their way into our articles soon. Besides we tag bars ans Hotels as gayfriendly on de:

New ideas are always welcome.

Thanks for the links

Gesendet von Windows-Mail

On Monday, 15 April 2013 at 08:31, Fae wrote:

> The answer is we have real idea how gay friendly the projects are, but
> LGBT Wikimedians have been doing a lot more outreach recently and we
> think this is great evidence for our increasing diversity.
>
> From a few chats over tea at the GLAMwiki conference last weekend, I
> realised that most folks with an interest in LGBT matters were either
> unaware that anything had changed in the last year, or just had not
> got around to finding out where to go for more information (apart from
> asking me). So, here are 4 new global resources created in the last 12
> months for you to investigate, share with friends or bookmark for
> later:

Thanks for posting this, Fæ.

I'm hoping that the mailing list can be used for a variety of purposes, both as a safe space for discussing how to handle issues faced by LGBT Wikimedians, and for discussion of what people are working on, developing LGBT content on Wikimedia and so on. It'd be great if list members could post stubs they've been working on at Wikipedia, Wikinews articles, collections of photos they've uploaded to Commons and so on.

As for IRC, while it may not be a dating service, there is occasional campy, flirty silliness. :-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le 2013-04-15 16:45, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Interesting Topic. The Wikivoyage association’s chairman is gay as
> well. So he will have an eye on the diversity on WV. He (me) started
> the travel Topic “gaytravel” and created a small article about gay
> travel in Cambodia already
>
> (http://de.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Thema:Schwul-Lesbisches_Reisen_in_Kambodscha).
> I hope more information will find their way into our articles soon.
> Besides we tag bars ans Hotels as gayfriendly on de:

Hi,

I would find it interesting to have feedback on neutrality problems
that kind of topics may rise in our projects. I wish everybody would
have a mind focus on human "fulfillment/development"[1] (for which I
think sexual orientation self-determination is a requirement), but I
suppose that our project also attract more homophobic minds and so on.

On the other hand, I wonder how much the most active part of our
community may be more "open minded", and enclined to be less neutral on
topics where "populists propaganda" that a majority of "uneducated"
people may easily adopt as mind-set, if you see what I mean.

[1] In french I would say "épanouissement", but I can't say if there's
a one-one semantic equivalent word in English, all the more I may attach
non-widely shared semantic to this French word in the first place :P

> New ideas are always welcome.
>

> Thanks for the links
>

> Gesendet von Windows-Mail

Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How gay friendly is Wikimedia and where do LGBT Wikimedians hang out?

Marc-Andre
On 04/16/2013 04:48 AM, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> but I suppose that our project also attract more homophobic minds and so
> on.

That has not been my experience.  I think much of the perception of
"liberal bias" is actually caused by the generally widespread acceptance
of the average anglophone Wiki[mp]edian towards diversity; at least
comparatively to the societies they primarily represent.

My hypothesis is that -- pretty much be definition -- a group of people
rallying together under the banner of Open Knowledge has a strong
natural aversion to the kind of obscurantism and information control
that is necessary for prejudice and discrimination.  While there may be
individuals that have problems, the group's natural flow will work
against it.

-- Marc

Le 2013-04-16 16:58, Marc A. Pelletier a écrit :

> On 04/16/2013 04:48 AM, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
>> but I suppose that our project also attract more homophobic minds
>> and so
>> on.
>
> That has not been my experience.  I think much of the perception of
> "liberal bias" is actually caused by the generally widespread
> acceptance
> of the average anglophone Wiki[mp]edian towards diversity; at least
> comparatively to the societies they primarily represent.

All my apologies, I wanted to write "I suppose that our project also
attract *some* homophobic minds".

> My hypothesis is that -- pretty much be definition -- a group of
> people
> rallying together under the banner of Open Knowledge has a strong
> natural aversion to the kind of obscurantism and information control
> that is necessary for prejudice and discrimination.  While there may
> be
> individuals that have problems, the group's natural flow will work
> against it.
>
> -- Marc

I agree and it's also my experience. Also while free software movement
seems to have bigger problem with women arrassement, the wider free
culture movement seems less affected. However androcracy being a general
society problem, I suppose you may expect to find that kind of
comportement in our movement too.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

On 04/16/2013 11:22 AM, Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> However androcracy being a general society problem, I suppose you may
> expect to find that kind of comportement in our movement too.

I'd actually in interested to see /comparative/ numbers.  There's no
question that, in absolute terms, there is a problem; but is it any
better in our communities?

Probably one of the better examples of what I mean is, for instance, the
North-American sysadmin culture (which overlaps a great deal with open
source and open knowledge).  While it is clear that straight white males
are overwhelmingly overrepresented, my own experience is that women and
other members of underrepresented groups tend to be held in exactly the
same respect as the majority.

(I don't mean this in a "one of the boys" sense so much as in a "this
isn't even an issue" territory for the most part).

I've no doubt that there /are/ issues - some of which I may be blind to
given my own "who gives a fuck" attitude - but I'm under the impression
that the magnitude of those issues is lower.

-- Marc