[Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

[Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Richard Ames

Is there a listing of the volunteer positions which work for the
Wikimedia Foundation?

I can think of several areas people volunteer in: system operators,
software development, public relations, correspondence management
(OTRS), list moderation, event management, conflict resolution (Arbcom),
Funds Distribution (FDC), Affiliations Committee, etc.

How many are there?

Regards, Richard.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Dirk Franke-2
Hi Richard,

Just wondering: why are editors not volunteers?

best,

> Is there a listing of the volunteer positions which work for the Wikimedia
> Foundation?
>
> I can think of several areas people volunteer in: system operators,
> software development, public relations, correspondence management (OTRS),
> list moderation, event management, conflict resolution (Arbcom), Funds
> Distribution (FDC), Affiliations Committee, etc.
>
> How many are there?
>
> Regards, Richard.

Dirk Franke
Team Communitys
Volunteer Support Dept.

Fon +49 30 219158260
E-Mail: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

--
Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Richard Ames
I agree they are but I'm interested in other volunteers who may or may not be editors.

Thanks, Richard

Just wondering: why are editors not volunteers?

best,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?

Richard Ames, 22/06/2014 13:12:
> volunteer positions which work for

I smell a contradiction.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Benjamin Lees
There's no master list that I know of, but there are lists of each of those
things:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators#List
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Accounts
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room#Official_chapters
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Users
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Members#Current_members

Many of the people on those lists are not volunteers.

I'm afraid you're on your own for aggregating the many lists of ArbCom
members, mailing list moderators, and event coordinators. :-)

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Richard Ames <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a listing of the volunteer positions which work for the Wikimedia
> Foundation?
>
> I can think of several areas people volunteer in: system operators,
> software development, public relations, correspondence management (OTRS),
> list moderation, event management, conflict resolution (Arbcom), Funds
> Distribution (FDC), Affiliations Committee, etc.
>
> How many are there?
>
> Regards, Richard.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Wiegand Alice
On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many of the people on those lists are not volunteers.

How's your definition of volunteers?

Alice.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How's your definition of volunteers?
>
> In this case, I just mean that some of the people on those lists are paid
employees of the WMF or a chapter, so I can't guarantee that everyone on a
list of volunteers is acting in a purely volunteer role.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Johan Jönsson

> Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?

Because we love making lists.

That being said, Richard list wiki-specific positions like "ArbCom", which
I suppose would mean that "volunteers for the Wikimedia Foundation" should
be understood in a broad sense, and if so, the answer is definitely no.

Even when some lists exists, like the e.g. the press room list Benjamin
linked, they're in no way complete. For example, the press contact for
Wikimedia Sweden (which, of course, is technically not a volunteer position
for Wikimedia Foundation, since the chapters are independent and sometimes
do stuff that's not related to the Wikimedia movement) is listed, but
Swedish-language Wikipedia has a volunteer press contact of its own, who
isn't.

//Johan Jönsson
--
http://wikipediabloggen.se

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Lodewijk
In that case, 'many people are not volunteers' is probably an overstatement
:) At least for AffCom, FDC, OTRS are almost fully employees. The list of
chapter people is much longer (boards alone: ~40 * 6 est. average = 240
people, all volunteers) than the list of press contacts. In Wiki Loves
Monuments probably some 200-400 volunteers were involved too - but there is
some overlap. All in all, I guess that we may end up around a thousand
volunteers quite easily.

Lodewijk

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How's your definition of volunteers?
> >
> > In this case, I just mean that some of the people on those lists are paid
> employees of the WMF or a chapter, so I can't guarantee that everyone on a
> list of volunteers is acting in a purely volunteer role.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

metasj
I think a better formulation of the question might be: "do we have a
list of non-editing activities, and do we have a count of the number
of people who do them regularly?"

To which the answer is partially-yes, and mostly-no.

Yes: There is a mindmap of activities and roles that was created and
is fairly comprehensive.

No: Some of those activities have related logs (lists of users by
technical flag) or categories (list of users who have categorized
their userpage), or pages (lists of OTRS or press contacts, lists of
members or a project or organization). But I've never seen a division
of these into active v. passive (committee work v. group membership),
or a total count.

SJ

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?
>>

> Because we love making lists.
>
> That being said, Richard list wiki-specific positions like "ArbCom", which
> I suppose would mean that "volunteers for the Wikimedia Foundation" should
> be understood in a broad sense, and if so, the answer is definitely no.
>
> Even when some lists exists, like the e.g. the press room list Benjamin
> linked, they're in no way complete. For example, the press contact for
> Wikimedia Sweden (which, of course, is technically not a volunteer position
> for Wikimedia Foundation, since the chapters are independent and sometimes
> do stuff that's not related to the Wikimedia movement) is listed, but
> Swedish-language Wikipedia has a volunteer press contact of its own, who
> isn't.
>
> //Johan Jönsson
> --
> http://wikipediabloggen.se

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

ImperfectlyInformed

gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?
> >>

> > Because we love making lists.
> >
> > That being said, Richard list wiki-specific positions like "ArbCom", which
> > I suppose would mean that "volunteers for the Wikimedia Foundation" should
> > be understood in a broad sense, and if so, the answer is definitely no.
> >
> > Even when some lists exists, like the e.g. the press room list Benjamin
> > linked, they're in no way complete. For example, the press contact for
> > Wikimedia Sweden (which, of course, is technically not a volunteer position
> > for Wikimedia Foundation, since the chapters are independent and sometimes
> > do stuff that's not related to the Wikimedia movement) is listed, but
> > Swedish-language Wikipedia has a volunteer press contact of its own, who
> > isn't.
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson
> > --
> > http://wikipediabloggen.se

(emailing thru Gmane since I only track this thru RSS so my apologies if it
comes out funky; I dislike the enormous email volume these lists generate)

I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned that Part I, question 6 of the
Form 990 which asks for total volunteers. For year 2011, 85,000 was the
number year 2010 has 100,000. See
http://990finder.foundationcenter.org/990results.aspx?990_type=&fn=wikimedia&st=&zp=&ei=&fy=&action=Find

In addition, it is typical for directors and officers liability policies to
ask for an estimate of the number of volunteers (no idea if WMF's insurer
does, but when I last shopped for nonprofit D&O it was a pretty standard
question). While I doubt the IRS cares much about the accuracy of this
particular number, the D&O insurer can use a bad estimate as an excuse to
void coverage due to material misrepresentation when a claim is filed.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] How many volunteers (not editors) does the movement have????

Federico Leva (Nemo)
ImperfectlyInformed, 26/06/2014 02:14:
> I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned that Part I, question 6 of the
> Form 990 which asks for total volunteers. For year 2011, 85,000 was the
> number year 2010 has 100,000.

That's just the number of editors taken from WikiStats, as I believe the
notes to the actual form 990 explain.
You may have missed "the movement" in the subject line; the form 990 is
only about WMF properties.

Nemo

[Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

Richard Ames

I have done a very rough estimate / count:

OTRS - 180
Sysops - 50
List Moderators -410
SW Developers - 400
FDC members - 9
Affiliations committee - 9

for a total of about 1060.

Who is the 'Volunteer Coordinator' whose duties are listed at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Volunteer_Coordinator ??

Regards, Richard.

On 22/06/14 21:12, Richard Ames wrote:

> Is there a listing of the volunteer positions which work for the
> Wikimedia Foundation?

<snip>

> How many are there?
>
> Regards, Richard.

[Wikimedia-l] Volunteer vs Work (Was: How many volunteers (not editors)...????)

Richard Ames

I don't see the contradiction. If a person volunteers to do a job and
the organisation accepts them; why wouldn't that be considered work?

Regards, Richard.

On 22/06/14 21:59, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?
>
> Richard Ames, 22/06/2014 13:12:
>> volunteer positions which work for
>
> I smell a contradiction.
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

Rjd0060 -
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Richard Ames <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have done a very rough estimate / count:
>
> OTRS - 180
> Sysops - 50
> List Moderators -410
> SW Developers - 400
> FDC members - 9
> Affiliations committee - 9
>
> for a total of about 1060.
>
> Who is the 'Volunteer Coordinator' whose duties are listed at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Volunteer_Coordinator ??
>
> Regards, Richard.

I won't speak for the other numbers you presented but your OTRS count is
extremely off-base.  Currently, there are about 1400 open/active OTRS
accounts.  Many are staff but that would be less than 50%.  (I am an OTRS
admin - I get my number from record.)

As for the "Volunteer Coordinator", he was Cary Bass and left the
Foundation some time ago.  See https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Bastique
or https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cary_Bass .

--

Ryan
User:Rjd0060

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

Nathan Awrich
There are over four hundred list moderators?? I'm shocked there are even
that many people contributing to official mailing lists!

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Richard Ames <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have done a very rough estimate / count:
>>
>> OTRS - 180
>> Sysops - 50
>> List Moderators -410
>> SW Developers - 400
>> FDC members - 9
>> Affiliations committee - 9
>>
>> for a total of about 1060.
>>
>> Who is the 'Volunteer Coordinator' whose duties are listed at
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Volunteer_Coordinator ??
>>
>> Regards, Richard.
>>

> I won't speak for the other numbers you presented but your OTRS count is
> extremely off-base.  Currently, there are about 1400 open/active OTRS
> accounts.  Many are staff but that would be less than 50%.  (I am an OTRS
> admin - I get my number from record.)
>
> As for the "Volunteer Coordinator", he was Cary Bass and left the
> Foundation some time ago.  See
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Bastique or
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cary_Bass .

To correct myself, there are ~650 open & active accounts.  I was looking at
the wrong list. :-)  Not nearly as high as my first number, but you still
see that it's a lot higher.

See also, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Users

--

Ryan
User:Rjd0060

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

MZMcBride-2
Rjd0060 wrote:
>As for the "Volunteer Coordinator", he was Cary Bass and left the
>Foundation some time ago. See
>https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Bastique
>or https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cary_Bass .

Indeed.

There was also a Volunteer Development Coordinator position for a bit:
<https://www.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Permalink/87987>.

The original question remains unclear to me. How are "volunteer positions
which work for the Wikimedia Foundation" defined? It seems unlikely we'll
ever have completely accurate numbers here, but even ballparking is
almost impossible without first establishing a very clear definition of
who is and is not considered a volunteer and who is and is not considered
working for the Wikimedia Foundation. And there are other important
questions such as whether we're counting people or positions (e.g.,
there is overlap between sysops and OTRS responders).

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

James Alexander-4
Is sysop supposed to be an on wiki sysop?

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rjd0060 wrote:
> >As for the "Volunteer Coordinator", he was Cary Bass and left the
> >Foundation some time ago. See
> >https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Bastique
> >or https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cary_Bass .
>
> Indeed.
>
> There was also a Volunteer Development Coordinator position for a bit:
> <https://www.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Permalink/87987>.
>
> The original question remains unclear to me. How are "volunteer positions
> which work for the Wikimedia Foundation" defined? It seems unlikely we'll
> ever have completely accurate numbers here, but even ballparking is
> almost impossible without first establishing a very clear definition of
> who is and is not considered a volunteer and who is and is not considered
> working for the Wikimedia Foundation. And there are other important
> questions such as whether we're counting people or positions (e.g.,
> there is overlap between sysops and OTRS responders).
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Number of volunteers. (Was: How many volunteers (not editors) ...?)

Pine W
Hm. If we're assigning some special status to Meta-level committees, there
are many more of them in addition to the Board, AffCom and FDC. Just to
name some of them: we have 4 grants committees that I know of, the board's
Audit Committee which has some non-Board members, the Research Committee,
and the Ombudsman Commission. We also have some Meta and Outreach groups
like the volunteers who produce This Month in Education, This Month in
GLAM, and the weekly Tech News.

At one time I compiled a list of Meta committees because there was some
discussion that we might have a combined annual or semi-annual recruiting
drive for committee openings which would save some time and emails.

Pine