[Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

[Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Ziko van Dijk-2
Hello,
A week ago, as I found out now, a new association has been found in
New York: "Wiki Med Foundation, Inc." (!). We have the Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc., we have some other Wikimedias, we have MediaWiki...
how is the ordinary man on the street supposed to have the slightest
chance to understand the Wikimedia movement? He even confuses
"Wikimedia" with "Wikileaks"...
I know that that is not the case, but sometimes it even seems that
Wikimedians do want to make the movement a terminogical labyrinth. The
WMF came with a simple scheme for national chapters, with the formula
"Wikimedia X" (with X being the name of the country). I wish something
similar for thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups, and not
the advice to even avoid the term "Wikimedia". Confusing terms are a
serious barrier for participation, on Wikipedia and in the larger
movement.
Kind regards,
Ziko

    If I could talk to the wiki folks, just imagine it
    Chatting with a chick on IRC
    Imagine talking on a talk page, buzzing from a banner
    What a neat achievement that would be.

    If I could talk to the wiki folks, learn their languages
    Maybe take a data dump degree.
    I'd study mastodon and diesel, camel case and weasel,
    Interwiki, vandal and IP.

    I would converse in C++ and Python,
    And I would curse in fluent wikify.
    If people asked me, can you speak sock puppetry,
    I'd say, 'Of coursery, but why?'

    If I conferred with our fuzzy friends, man to editor,
    Think of the amazing repartee
    If I could talk to the wiki folks, fork to the wiki folks,
    Diff and rev and link with the wiki folks,
    And they could diff and rev and link with me.

    If I could speak CC-BY-SA
    The advantages any sandbox noob could plainly see!
    Discussing worldwide GLAM and drama
    With oh so witty llama
    That’s a big step forward you’ll agree!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Thomas Dalton
Very nice! I'll expect a performance in Hong Kong!

On a serious note, have you seen Geoff's comments on naming of affiliate
organisations?
On Dec 28, 2012 4:18 PM, "Ziko van Dijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> A week ago, as I found out now, a new association has been found in
> New York: "Wiki Med Foundation, Inc." (!). We have the Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc., we have some other Wikimedias, we have MediaWiki...
> how is the ordinary man on the street supposed to have the slightest
> chance to understand the Wikimedia movement? He even confuses
> "Wikimedia" with "Wikileaks"...
> I know that that is not the case, but sometimes it even seems that
> Wikimedians do want to make the movement a terminogical labyrinth. The
> WMF came with a simple scheme for national chapters, with the formula
> "Wikimedia X" (with X being the name of the country). I wish something
> similar for thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups, and not
> the advice to even avoid the term "Wikimedia". Confusing terms are a
> serious barrier for participation, on Wikipedia and in the larger
> movement.
> Kind regards,
> Ziko
>

>     If I could talk to the wiki folks, just imagine it
>     Chatting with a chick on IRC
>     Imagine talking on a talk page, buzzing from a banner
>     What a neat achievement that would be.
>
>     If I could talk to the wiki folks, learn their languages
>     Maybe take a data dump degree.
>     I'd study mastodon and diesel, camel case and weasel,
>     Interwiki, vandal and IP.
>
>     I would converse in C++ and Python,
>     And I would curse in fluent wikify.
>     If people asked me, can you speak sock puppetry,
>     I'd say, 'Of coursery, but why?'
>
>     If I conferred with our fuzzy friends, man to editor,
>     Think of the amazing repartee
>     If I could talk to the wiki folks, fork to the wiki folks,
>     Diff and rev and link with the wiki folks,
>     And they could diff and rev and link with me.
>
>     If I could speak CC-BY-SA
>     The advantages any sandbox noob could plainly see!
>     Discussing worldwide GLAM and drama
>     With oh so witty llama
>     That’s a big step forward you’ll agree!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Lodewijk
Hi,

it should probably be emphasized that this organization was founded against
the advice of the Wikimedia Foundations' Affiliate Committee. It is not
recognized at this point.

I am also quite unhappy about the chosen name because of the obvious
confusion that is to be expected. But speaking in general terms, you're
indeed welcome to join the discussion about naming that has been going on
for a while now, on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Thematic_Organizations .
While it is not likely to be possible to have a very rigid convention
(thanks to the diversity in the scopes of these organizations) I would
appreciate suggestions in how clarity can be achieved.

Best,
Lodewijk

2012/12/28 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>

> Very nice! I'll expect a performance in Hong Kong!
>
> On a serious note, have you seen Geoff's comments on naming of affiliate
> organisations?
> On Dec 28, 2012 4:18 PM, "Ziko van Dijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > A week ago, as I found out now, a new association has been found in
> > New York: "Wiki Med Foundation, Inc." (!). We have the Wikimedia
> > Foundation, Inc., we have some other Wikimedias, we have MediaWiki...
> > how is the ordinary man on the street supposed to have the slightest
> > chance to understand the Wikimedia movement? He even confuses
> > "Wikimedia" with "Wikileaks"...
> > I know that that is not the case, but sometimes it even seems that
> > Wikimedians do want to make the movement a terminogical labyrinth. The
> > WMF came with a simple scheme for national chapters, with the formula
> > "Wikimedia X" (with X being the name of the country). I wish something
> > similar for thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups, and not
> > the advice to even avoid the term "Wikimedia". Confusing terms are a
> > serious barrier for participation, on Wikipedia and in the larger
> > movement.
> > Kind regards,
> > Ziko
> >

> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, just imagine it
> >     Chatting with a chick on IRC
> >     Imagine talking on a talk page, buzzing from a banner
> >     What a neat achievement that would be.
> >
> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, learn their languages
> >     Maybe take a data dump degree.
> >     I'd study mastodon and diesel, camel case and weasel,
> >     Interwiki, vandal and IP.
> >
> >     I would converse in C++ and Python,
> >     And I would curse in fluent wikify.
> >     If people asked me, can you speak sock puppetry,
> >     I'd say, 'Of coursery, but why?'
> >
> >     If I conferred with our fuzzy friends, man to editor,
> >     Think of the amazing repartee
> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, fork to the wiki folks,
> >     Diff and rev and link with the wiki folks,
> >     And they could diff and rev and link with me.
> >
> >     If I could speak CC-BY-SA
> >     The advantages any sandbox noob could plainly see!
> >     Discussing worldwide GLAM and drama
> >     With oh so witty llama
> >     That’s a big step forward you’ll agree!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Ziko van Dijk-2
Indeed, I made use of my last day before leaving for Germany (5 days)
to present some thoughts about the affiliations, on that very talk
page.
Kind regards
Ziko

2012/12/28 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> >

>> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, just imagine it
>> >     Chatting with a chick on IRC
>> >     Imagine talking on a talk page, buzzing from a banner
>> >     What a neat achievement that would be.
>> >
>> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, learn their languages
>> >     Maybe take a data dump degree.
>> >     I'd study mastodon and diesel, camel case and weasel,
>> >     Interwiki, vandal and IP.
>> >
>> >     I would converse in C++ and Python,
>> >     And I would curse in fluent wikify.
>> >     If people asked me, can you speak sock puppetry,
>> >     I'd say, 'Of coursery, but why?'
>> >
>> >     If I conferred with our fuzzy friends, man to editor,
>> >     Think of the amazing repartee
>> >     If I could talk to the wiki folks, fork to the wiki folks,
>> >     Diff and rev and link with the wiki folks,
>> >     And they could diff and rev and link with me.
>> >
>> >     If I could speak CC-BY-SA
>> >     The advantages any sandbox noob could plainly see!

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

On Dec 28, 2012 7:12 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it should probably be emphasized that this organization was founded
against
> the advice of the Wikimedia Foundations' Affiliate Committee. It is not
> recognized at this point.

Does it have a license to use the Wikimedia trademark in its name?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Bence Damokos
Thank you Ziko – your post is great! (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Thematic_Organizations#Scope_and_names_for_movement_entities
)

Best regards,
Bence

(P.S. AffCom is still looking for new members ready to think about the hard
questions that are raised there:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Call_for_Candidates_2013
)

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2012 7:12 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > it should probably be emphasized that this organization was founded
> against
> > the advice of the Wikimedia Foundations' Affiliate Committee. It is not
> > recognized at this point.
>
> Does it have a license to use the Wikimedia trademark in its name?

If you mean Wiki Med, it doesn't currently have the trademark in the name.
(Wiki Med Foundation Inc.)

Best regards,
Bence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Matthew Roth
Wow, I want to start a Thematic Organization just so I can call it a
"thorg"!
What a great acronym :)

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Ziko – your post is great! (
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Thematic_Organizations#Scope_and_names_for_movement_entities
> )
>
> Best regards,
> Bence
>
> (P.S. AffCom is still looking for new members ready to think about the hard
> questions that are raised there:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Call_for_Candidates_2013
> )

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

jmh649
Yes so Wiki Med Foundation Inc incorporated Dec 19, 2012 and we had our
first official board meeting Dec 26, 2012. We have had expressed interest
from 57 people from more than a dozen countries with a large group of
interested members from India. Our 9 board members are from 7 different
countries.

Our first official event is being held January 7-11th at the University of
California San Francisco in collaboration with Wikimedia Canada. We have
been invited by the college of medicine to give a half dozen lectures on
Wikipedia and Medicine and a few editing sessions where students and staff
can try their hand at editing themselves. This is in preparation for an
elective for 3rd and 4th year medical students which will resolve around
contribution to Wikimedia projects hopefully to launch in the spring.

Of course we are a new corporation, however our membership is composed of
people who have extensive experience within the Wikimedia movement. Once we
have had a chance to prove ourselves over the next 6 month we will re
approach the aff com / Wikimedia movement to determine if an official
association is desired. Currently as stated by Bence we are not officially
associated.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

David Gerard-2
On 29 December 2012 00:05, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes so Wiki Med Foundation Inc incorporated Dec 19, 2012 and we had our

Isn't the name just a little prone to confusion with Wikimedia Foundation?

- d.

On Dec 28, 2012 9:53 PM, "Bence Damokos" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]
>wrote:
>
> > On Dec 28, 2012 7:12 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it should probably be emphasized that this organization was founded
> > against
> > > the advice of the Wikimedia Foundations' Affiliate Committee. It is
not
> > > recognized at this point.
> >
> > Does it have a license to use the Wikimedia trademark in its name?
> >
> If you mean Wiki Med, it doesn't currently have the trademark in the name.

Apologies, wasn't reading carefully enough!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Ziko van Dijk-2
Dear James,

My sincere congratulations for this important step, and I am really
very happy with a Wikimedia Medicine. But the name "Wiki Med
Foundation" - I find the choice for that name just strange (I saw the
discussion on Meta too late). "Wikimedia Health", by the way, would be
as great as "Wikimedia Medicine". I understood that there problems in
the State of New York to use "medicine" in the title. So, "Wiki
Health" could have been an alternative until recognition from the
AffCom.

Kind regards
Ziko

2012/12/29 James Heilman <[hidden email]>:

> Yes so Wiki Med Foundation Inc incorporated Dec 19, 2012 and we had our
> first official board meeting Dec 26, 2012. We have had expressed interest
> from 57 people from more than a dozen countries with a large group of
> interested members from India. Our 9 board members are from 7 different
> countries.
>
> Our first official event is being held January 7-11th at the University of
> California San Francisco in collaboration with Wikimedia Canada. We have
> been invited by the college of medicine to give a half dozen lectures on
> Wikipedia and Medicine and a few editing sessions where students and staff
> can try their hand at editing themselves. This is in preparation for an
> elective for 3rd and 4th year medical students which will resolve around
> contribution to Wikimedia projects hopefully to launch in the spring.
>
> Of course we are a new corporation, however our membership is composed of
> people who have extensive experience within the Wikimedia movement. Once we
> have had a chance to prove ourselves over the next 6 month we will re
> approach the aff com / Wikimedia movement to determine if an official
> association is desired. Currently as stated by Bence we are not officially
> associated.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Leinonen Teemu
Hi,

I think the thematic organizations are good for the movement. Could the naming of the affiliated thematic organizations be primary based on the Wikipedia Portal namespaces (from all the Wikipedia's in different languages)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Portals

With this "logic" the Wiki Med could be "Wikimedia Health".

- Teemu

www.opentextbookofmedicine.com<http://www.opentextbookofmedicine.com>

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Leinonen Teemu, 29/12/2012 15:20:
> Hi,
>
> I think the thematic organizations are good for the movement. Could the naming of the affiliated thematic organizations be primary based on the Wikipedia Portal namespaces (from all the Wikipedia's in different languages)?

See
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Wikimedia_Thematic_Organizations&diff=prev&oldid=4922772>
for a similar provocation I made...

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Portals
>
> With this "logic" the Wiki Med could be "Wikimedia Health".

The portal is not called "Wikimedia" though. :-)

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Birgitte_sb
I am not affiliated with Wiki Med. However as an American, "Health" to my ear means scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$.  There are real reasons NY does not let an organization use the title "Medicine" without approval from the medical board. And all those reasons use the title "Health" or "Healing"  instead. I imagine the members of an organization like Wiki Med are more than normally aware of this and would be more than normally distressed to be associated with this. After all, the majority of Wikipedian medical editors seem dedicate a good portion of their time to keeping the scammy quacky bullshit out of the medical articles.

Birgitte SB

On 29.12.2012, at 9.35, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not affiliated with Wiki Med. However as an American, "Health" to my ear means scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$.

OK. I am sure in the US the World *Health* Organization is also seen by many as "scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$". :-)

In other places the WHO is the international organization that is concerned with public *health*.

-Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Florence Devouard-3
On 12/29/12 1:15 AM, David Gerard wrote:

> On 29 December 2012 00:05, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes so Wiki Med Foundation Inc incorporated Dec 19, 2012 and we had our
>

> Isn't the name just a little prone to confusion with Wikimedia Foundation?
>

> - d.

At the same time, Wiki is not a trademarked term and the term
"Foundation" is a pretty usual one as well (in particular if it is
indeed a Foundation...).

It is certainly sufficient to dismiss any confusion if they do not use
our logos, our colors and do not try to pretend they somehow are
affiliated.

Flo

On Dec 29, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29.12.2012, at 9.35, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am not affiliated with Wiki Med. However as an American, "Health" to my ear means scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$.
>
> OK. I am sure in the US the World *Health* Organization is also seen by many as "scammy quacky bullshit that wants to pretend it is medicine for the $$$". :-)
>
> In other places the WHO is the international organization that is concerned with public *health*.
>
> -Teemu

Of course WHO, NIMH, HHS, etc aren't seen that way (not that they are often spelled out). Older established organizations that predate the rise in popularity of chiropractors, anti-vaccination, and non-traditional healing are seen however their history warrants. New organizations without a history are evaluated somewhat differently.

I don't support the incorporation as "Wiki Med" myself.  I only thought to explain what roadblocks there might be to pushing the organization to rename as "Wiki Health" instead, since many here might not be familiar with the local connotations. Take it, snark over it, or leave it, but I imagine that I have a better idea of how this would be perceived in the US than you do.

Birgitte SB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] If I could talk to the wiki folks...

Kirill Lokshin
On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> At the same time, Wiki is not a trademarked term and the term "Foundation"
> is a pretty usual one as well (in particular if it is indeed a
> Foundation...).

You're correct as far as each individual term is concerned, but I'm not
sure the same logic applies to the name as a whole.  In my opinion, "Wiki
Med Foundation" and "Wikimedia Foundation" are indeed so similar as to
cause confusion between the two, particularly when the new organization
*is* intending to use the same colors/logos/slogans/etc. as the WMF.

Kirill

On 12/29/12 6:05 PM, Kirill Lokshin wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> At the same time, Wiki is not a trademarked term and the term "Foundation"
>> is a pretty usual one as well (in particular if it is indeed a
>> Foundation...).
>>

> You're correct as far as each individual term is concerned, but I'm not
> sure the same logic applies to the name as a whole.  In my opinion, "Wiki
> Med Foundation" and "Wikimedia Foundation" are indeed so similar as to
> cause confusion between the two, particularly when the new organization
> *is* intending to use the same colors/logos/slogans/etc. as the WMF.
>
> Kirill

If that's their intent, yeah, that's annoying.

At the minimum, until they are affiliated, they should avoid doing this
to limit the confusion (temporary logo and adoption of purple/pink brand
colors :)).

After affiliation, I suppose they may have the officially declared name
(which will hardly be used) and the day-to-day name.