[Wikimedia-l] 'Internet Defense' collabs

[Wikimedia-l] 'Internet Defense' collabs

metasj
Fight For the Future, along with some of the other orgs that helped
coordinate SOPA protests, are working to coordinate alerts about
future threats to internet freedom.  They hope to provide brief
pointers about what's at stake to everyone interested, once major
problems are identified.

Right now their work seem to focus on issues affecting the Internet in
the US; and it's not clear to me yet who define what threatens 'net
freedom.  But in principle this is an important thing for the Internet
to have, covering every jurisdiction.

Has anyone been working on projects like this around the world?  This
seems like something wikimedians could support in a less in-your-face
way than by blacking out wikipedia language projects, once problematic
issues become crises.  At the very least, by offering a place to
summarize neutral information about the issues [and tackling the
related style and context issues; which we already do], and by helping
to make the conversation a global one.

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 'Internet Defense' collabs

Bod Notbod
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone been working on projects like this around the world?

I'm unsure if you meant "anyone" as in us personally as members of the
email list or whether you meant "anyone" anyone...

I'm also thinking my following link is probably so obviously known
that it may cause you to roll your eyes... but enough of me babbling,
here's what your post made me think of:

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/about/

...and note the link to the Europe-wide group near the top.

Er, *hope* that's been useful :o/

Bodnotbod