[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Siko Bouterse
Pardon the cross-posting from WMF staff list - I expect this role will be
of interest to many here too.  Welcome, Ellie!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Leslie Harms
Welcome Ellie!! So happy to have you on board :)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Siko Bouterse <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Pardon the cross-posting from WMF staff list - I expect this role will be
> of interest to many here too.  Welcome, Ellie!

Leslie Harms
Office Assistant
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext 6743
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Sarah Stierch-2
Awesome!

Ellie is great and will serve as a great coordinator. I look forward to working with her on the planning Commitee!

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Siko Bouterse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pardon the cross-posting from WMF staff list - I expect this role will be
> of interest to many here too.  Welcome, Ellie!

Karthik Nadar-2
Welcome Ellie. I'm sure the local Wikimania team will be happy to have you
on board :)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Leslie Harms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Ellie!! So happy to have you on board :)
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Siko Bouterse <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Pardon the cross-posting from WMF staff list - I expect this role will be
> > of interest to many here too.  Welcome, Ellie!

Karthik Nadar.
(Secretary, Wikimedia India Chapter).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Florence Devouard-3
Welcome again Ellie

A question came to my mind when I read the description of the job.
- making sure there is good continuity and knowledge-transfer as the
conference moves to new hosts year-over-year.

Yet, she is taking on the role as an annual contract.

Is there not a contradiction here ?

Flo

Amongst other tasks
* On 3/27/13 7:24 PM, Siko Bouterse wrote:

> Pardon the cross-posting from WMF staff list - I expect this role will be
> of interest to many here too.  Welcome, Ellie!

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-3
Good point, Florence.

Is it like if we hired someone for a education position to work during
one school term for only 6 months.

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
She has been to every country in Latin America
>> and the Caribbean except Brasil.

Why not Brasil?  :'(

:p welcome, and come to Brasil!!!

On 28 March 2013 23:06, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good point, Florence.
>
> Is it like if we hired someone for a education position to work during
> one school term for only 6 months.
>
> Tom
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Welcome again Ellie
> >
> > A question came to my mind when I read the description of the job.
> >
> > - making sure there is good continuity and knowledge-transfer as the
> > conference moves to new hosts year-over-year.
> >
> > Yet, she is taking on the role as an annual contract.
> >
> > Is there not a contradiction here ?
> >
> > Flo
> >

> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
> useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 979 718 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Matthew Roth
I hear 2014 will be a very busy year in Brasil
Some sport thing with a ball and a large green pitch :)

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> She has been to every country in Latin America
> >> and the Caribbean except Brasil.
>
> Why not Brasil?  :'(
>
> :p welcome, and come to Brasil!!!
>

> On 28 March 2013 23:06, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Good point, Florence.
> >
> > Is it like if we hired someone for a education position to work during
> > one school term for only 6 months.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Welcome again Ellie
> > >
> > > A question came to my mind when I read the description of the job.
> > >
> > > - making sure there is good continuity and knowledge-transfer as the
> > > conference moves to new hosts year-over-year.
> > >
> > > Yet, she is taking on the role as an annual contract.
> > >
> > > Is there not a contradiction here ?
> > >
> > > Flo
> > >

> > --
> > Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> > "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
> > useful than a life spent doing nothing."

> Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> [hidden email]
> +55 11 979 718 884

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Isarra Yos
One needn't stick around to establish and maintain a working framework
for such - continuity and knowledge-transfer sounds rather like
consistency and maintainability of code, where if it is well set up and
documented anyone can reasonably pick up where someone else left off.

So to ensure that there is continuity between events from year to year,
the important thing would be the framework and that what was done gets
written down - and in an organised and consistent fashion. That way
never mind who it is in this position, the future organisers should
still be able to find stuff from previous events as well, pick up where
others left off, and continue from there.

--
-— Isarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-4
[off-topic]

2013/3/29 Matthew Roth <[hidden email]>

> I hear 2014 will be a very busy year in Brasil
> Some sport thing with a ball and a large green pitch :)

Yeah, we are going to have the world cup, where millions and millions
of reais (our currency) is going to corrupts to an event that lasts
only a few days and only high middle class to rich people (and
foreigners, hey!) will have access to.

And silly people believe in the silly arguments of economical benefits
from this crap. Just hace a look at South Africa case. :(

Fortunately, I hope I will stay far from Brazil to don't see this,
because only who live here and use Brazilian public services (I am not
mentioneing the blind middle class) will see the consequences in the
mid and long term of so much corruption.

Hopefully hotels will be so expensive that Wikimania here won't be sustainable.

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
Wikimania in Brazil in 2015, so no problems. ;)

And, yeah, some strange sport...

On 29 March 2013 20:09, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [off-topic]
>

> 2013/3/29 Matthew Roth <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I hear 2014 will be a very busy year in Brasil
> > Some sport thing with a ball and a large green pitch :)
>
> Yeah, we are going to have the world cup, where millions and millions
> of reais (our currency) is going to corrupts to an event that lasts
> only a few days and only high middle class to rich people (and
> foreigners, hey!) will have access to.
>
> And silly people believe in the silly arguments of economical benefits
> from this crap. Just hace a look at South Africa case. :(
>
> Fortunately, I hope I will stay far from Brazil to don't see this,
> because only who live here and use Brazilian public services (I am not
> mentioneing the blind middle class) will see the consequences in the
> mid and long term of so much corruption.
>
> Hopefully hotels will be so expensive that Wikimania here won't be
> sustainable.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 979 718 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Béria Lima
[still in the off-topic]

*Hopefully hotels will be so expensive that Wikimania here won't be
> sustainable*.

Don't need to hope no more, hotels in Rio are *already* expensive because
of the World Cup renovations (is impossible to get a hotel in Rio for less
than 100 USD/night) and I do believe the price will double in 2014 and only
drop after 2016 (after yet another "let's-rob-the-people-and-impress-
foreigners" event)

_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

[hidden email]> wrote:

> [off-topic]
>

> 2013/3/29 Matthew Roth <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I hear 2014 will be a very busy year in Brasil
> > Some sport thing with a ball and a large green pitch :)
>
> Yeah, we are going to have the world cup, where millions and millions
> of reais (our currency) is going to corrupts to an event that lasts
> only a few days and only high middle class to rich people (and
> foreigners, hey!) will have access to.
>
> And silly people believe in the silly arguments of economical benefits
> from this crap. Just hace a look at South Africa case. :(
>
> Fortunately, I hope I will stay far from Brazil to don't see this,
> because only who live here and use Brazilian public services (I am not
> mentioneing the blind middle class) will see the consequences in the
> mid and long term of so much corruption.
>
> Hopefully hotels will be so expensive that Wikimania here won't be
> sustainable.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Ellie Young as Conference Coordinator

Peter Southwood
Quite agree about the lack of benefits for most of the population. The Cape
Town stadium is now a large burden on the ratepayers as they built it in one
of the most inappropriate places for functionality. It is now a virtually
unused and unusable monument to corruption, greed and stupidity, but it
doesn't look like anyone is likely to gain by the lesson except the corrupt.
Cheers,
Peter in Cape Town