[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Lila Tretikov
Dear Wikimedians,

In order to encourage the expansion of knowledge, we’ve been considering
new ways to support and develop the work you do. Collaboration is an
essential part of the Wikimedia movement, and today, I’m excited to let you
know about a new addition at the Wikimedia Foundation that will support our
collaboration with like-minded organizations.

For some time now, we’ve planned to hire a Vice President of Strategic
Partnerships. Today, I am pleased to announce that Kourosh Karimkhany will
step into this role on March 30, 2015.

Kourosh will be responsible for crafting a strategy to grow long-term value
for Wikimedia projects through building meaningful partnerships, projects,
and relationships on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation. He will become
part of the C-level team and will report to Lisa Gruwell. Kourosh will also
oversee Wikipedia Zero, which will transition to the partnerships team.

The Wikimedia community has many fruitful and creative partnerships that
help support knowledge creation and sharing around the world. The
partnerships Kourosh will support will will help us better support these
partnerships and your work, as well as grow strategic initiatives we take
on at the WMF.

Kourosh was born in Iran and moved to the U.S. as a child with his family.
Today, he is an experienced digital media professional with a passion for
sharing information with the world. He started his career as a technology
journalist covering Silicon Valley for Bloomberg, Reuters and Wired. He
switched to the business side of media when he joined Yahoo as senior
producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and Reddit.
He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
an active angel investor and startup advisor.

In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
the new role, visit the FAQ here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ

Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
support our mission.

~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Sydney Poore
Welcome to the wikimedia movement,  Kourosh. Looking forward to seeing the
partnerships and initiatives that can be grown that support our mission.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> In order to encourage the expansion of knowledge, we’ve been considering
> new ways to support and develop the work you do. Collaboration is an
> essential part of the Wikimedia movement, and today, I’m excited to let you
> know about a new addition at the Wikimedia Foundation that will support our
> collaboration with like-minded organizations.
>
> For some time now, we’ve planned to hire a Vice President of Strategic
> Partnerships. Today, I am pleased to announce that Kourosh Karimkhany will
> step into this role on March 30, 2015.
>
> Kourosh will be responsible for crafting a strategy to grow long-term value
> for Wikimedia projects through building meaningful partnerships, projects,
> and relationships on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation. He will become
> part of the C-level team and will report to Lisa Gruwell. Kourosh will also
> oversee Wikipedia Zero, which will transition to the partnerships team.
>
> The Wikimedia community has many fruitful and creative partnerships that
> help support knowledge creation and sharing around the world. The
> partnerships Kourosh will support will will help us better support these
> partnerships and your work, as well as grow strategic initiatives we take
> on at the WMF.
>
> Kourosh was born in Iran and moved to the U.S. as a child with his family.
> Today, he is an experienced digital media professional with a passion for
> sharing information with the world. He started his career as a technology
> journalist covering Silicon Valley for Bloomberg, Reuters and Wired. He
> switched to the business side of media when he joined Yahoo as senior
> producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
> where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and Reddit.
> He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
> an active angel investor and startup advisor.
>
> In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
> partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
> mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
> the new role, visit the FAQ here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
>
> Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
> leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
> forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
> support our mission.
>
> ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Cristian Consonni
Welcome, Kourosh!

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Lodewijk
Welcome Kourosh.

In Wikimedian spirit, i would like to take the opportunity to ask the silly
question: is the structure of what all titles in Wikimedia mean, described
somewhere? Because to be honest, I'm getting all confused about who ranks
what in the structure of directors, vice presidents, chiefs, heads,
managers and seniors. I was, silly me, always under the impression that a
Vice President was basically just below the ED - on the C-level.

I was looking for this info to be perhaps linked from the staff &
contractors page on wmfwiki, but i don't seem to be able to find it. Could
someone enlighten, and perhaps add it somewhere if not there yet? I recall
having asked this question also a few years back and that a list was made,
but I can't find it any longer...

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Welcome, Kourosh!
>
> Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Jan Ainali-2
Lodewijk: there is this interactive org chart, but I do not know how
official it is: http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org/#5085aa408fedf26b68000001/

*Med vänliga hälsningar,Jan Ainali*

Verksamhetschef, Wikimedia Sverige <http://wikimedia.se>
0729 - 67 29 48

*Tänk dig en värld där varje människa har fri tillgång till mänsklighetens
samlade kunskap. Det är det vi gör.*
Bli medlem. <http://blimedlem.wikimedia.se>

> Welcome Kourosh.
>
> In Wikimedian spirit, i would like to take the opportunity to ask the silly
> question: is the structure of what all titles in Wikimedia mean, described
> somewhere? Because to be honest, I'm getting all confused about who ranks
> what in the structure of directors, vice presidents, chiefs, heads,
> managers and seniors. I was, silly me, always under the impression that a
> Vice President was basically just below the ED - on the C-level.
>
> I was looking for this info to be perhaps linked from the staff &
> contractors page on wmfwiki, but i don't seem to be able to find it. Could
> someone enlighten, and perhaps add it somewhere if not there yet? I recall
> having asked this question also a few years back and that a list was made,
> but I can't find it any longer...
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Cristian Consonni <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Welcome, Kourosh!
> >
> > Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

MZMcBride-2
Lodewijk wrote:

>In Wikimedian spirit, i would like to take the opportunity to ask the
>silly question: is the structure of what all titles in Wikimedia mean,
>described somewhere? Because to be honest, I'm getting all confused about
>who ranks what in the structure of directors, vice presidents, chiefs,
>heads, managers and seniors. I was, silly me, always under the impression
>that a Vice President was basically just below the ED - on the C-level.
>
>I was looking for this info to be perhaps linked from the staff &
>contractors page on wmfwiki, but i don't seem to be able to find it. Could
>someone enlighten, and perhaps add it somewhere if not there yet? I recall
>having asked this question also a few years back and that a list was made,
>but I can't find it any longer...

Hi.

I think you're talking about an org chart here. The Wikimedia Foundation
used to have one, but they're kind of annoying to maintain and any public
version basically fell apart years ago. Last I saw, it was a tool on Labs,
but it's been through several iterations. The page histories (of the
article and the template) on wikimediafoundation.org will have references
to it if you go back a few years.

Re: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Staff_and_contractors

The template page includes a table of contents, which is not yet updated
to reflect this new department, but is still really helpful for
understanding the organization's structure nonetheless. Bonus: that page
also auto-expands the sections for faster and easier searching. Viewing
the template page instead of the article is a nice little hack for now.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

metasj
Fantastic news and a great advancement - welcome Kourosh!

SJ

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> In order to encourage the expansion of knowledge, we’ve been considering
> new ways to support and develop the work you do. Collaboration is an
> essential part of the Wikimedia movement, and today, I’m excited to let you
> know about a new addition at the Wikimedia Foundation that will support our
> collaboration with like-minded organizations.
>
> For some time now, we’ve planned to hire a Vice President of Strategic
> Partnerships. Today, I am pleased to announce that Kourosh Karimkhany will
> step into this role on March 30, 2015.
>
> Kourosh will be responsible for crafting a strategy to grow long-term value
> for Wikimedia projects through building meaningful partnerships, projects,
> and relationships on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation. He will become
> part of the C-level team and will report to Lisa Gruwell. Kourosh will also
> oversee Wikipedia Zero, which will transition to the partnerships team.
>
> The Wikimedia community has many fruitful and creative partnerships that
> help support knowledge creation and sharing around the world. The
> partnerships Kourosh will support will will help us better support these
> partnerships and your work, as well as grow strategic initiatives we take
> on at the WMF.
>
> Kourosh was born in Iran and moved to the U.S. as a child with his family.
> Today, he is an experienced digital media professional with a passion for
> sharing information with the world. He started his career as a technology
> journalist covering Silicon Valley for Bloomberg, Reuters and Wired. He
> switched to the business side of media when he joined Yahoo as senior
> producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
> where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and Reddit.
> He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
> an active angel investor and startup advisor.
>
> In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
> partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
> mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
> the new role, visit the FAQ here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
>
> Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
> leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
> forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
> support our mission.
>
> ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Pine W
Welcome Kourosh. (:

Can you give us some examples of partnerships that you will be developing
or supporting?

It would also be really interesting to hear how your role relates to the
kinds of institutional relationships that other departments have formed
over the years. I'd love to hear an overview sometime of how you hope to
develop these further in ways that are beneficial to the Wikimedia
community.

I hope that we will see you in Berlin!

Regards,

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.**—Catherine Munro*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Jens Best-2
Well,

first of all, welcome Kourosh.

I'm looking forward to see how the reality of this exciting job description
gonna look like. For me this also sounds like a clear move to a more
politically positioned understanding of this aspect of the growing
importance of the Wikimedia-Movment globally. "Advancement Department"
sounds pretty neutral, but certainly it isn't at all.

When it comes to "collaboration with like-minded organizations" decisions
surely are also carried by a stronger public postioning of the values of
the movement. Some of the decisions in the past, especially when it comes
to collaborations with commercial internet players maybe need to be openly
and transparently re-evaluated.

If Kourosh is settled in I would like to see a global, transparent and open
discussion about our program "Wikipedia Zero" which is under global critic
by OpenWeb-NGOs and other worried members of the civil society in the US,
in the "Global South" and in Europe.

Wikipedia Zero which for me is a straight marketing element of some clever
telecoms to sell their mobile products in developing markets and therefore
infusing an user-experience of data-specific payment habits, needs to be
re-evaluated with a professional look that includes awareness of what
implications strategic partnerships can have on our core values.

The well-meant intentions which carried the Wikipedia Zero programme inside
WMF to the point where it is now maybe were a little starry-eyed. Let's not
forget that a zero-rated Wikipedia which can't connect to the linked
knowledge of the world is just a *Walled Wikipedia *and therefore a
questionable  contribution to our core belief of giving free knowledge to
the people - by the people.

The intensity with which the global fight about net neutrality is lead
because of the commercial interests of the telecoms surely doesn't stop at
the markets of the Global South - therefore Wikimedia movement has to make
perfectly clear which line is walked on this central matter of a free and
open internet.

You see, Kourosh, the challenges are big and I'm looking forward to have an
experienced person overlooking the future developments in this field.

best regards and a good start

Jens Best

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> In order to encourage the expansion of knowledge, we’ve been considering
> new ways to support and develop the work you do. Collaboration is an
> essential part of the Wikimedia movement, and today, I’m excited to let you
> know about a new addition at the Wikimedia Foundation that will support our
> collaboration with like-minded organizations.
>
> For some time now, we’ve planned to hire a Vice President of Strategic
> Partnerships. Today, I am pleased to announce that Kourosh Karimkhany will
> step into this role on March 30, 2015.
>
> Kourosh will be responsible for crafting a strategy to grow long-term value
> for Wikimedia projects through building meaningful partnerships, projects,
> and relationships on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation. He will become
> part of the C-level team and will report to Lisa Gruwell. Kourosh will also
> oversee Wikipedia Zero, which will transition to the partnerships team.
>
> The Wikimedia community has many fruitful and creative partnerships that
> help support knowledge creation and sharing around the world. The
> partnerships Kourosh will support will will help us better support these
> partnerships and your work, as well as grow strategic initiatives we take
> on at the WMF.
>
> Kourosh was born in Iran and moved to the U.S. as a child with his family.
> Today, he is an experienced digital media professional with a passion for
> sharing information with the world. He started his career as a technology
> journalist covering Silicon Valley for Bloomberg, Reuters and Wired. He
> switched to the business side of media when he joined Yahoo as senior
> producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
> where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and Reddit.
> He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
> an active angel investor and startup advisor.
>
> In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
> partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
> mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
> the new role, visit the FAQ here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
>
> Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
> leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
> forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
> support our mission.
>
> ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Tonmoy Khan
Welcome Kourosh to the Wikimedia family :)

Cheers

Ali Haidar Khan
FDC Member
Treasurer, Wikimedia Bangladesh
On Mar 28, 2015 6:02 AM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Kourosh. (:
>
> Can you give us some examples of partnerships that you will be developing
> or supporting?
>
> It would also be really interesting to hear how your role relates to the
> kinds of institutional relationships that other departments have formed
> over the years. I'd love to hear an overview sometime of how you hope to
> develop these further in ways that are beneficial to the Wikimedia
> community.
>
> I hope that we will see you in Berlin!
>
> Regards,
>
> Pine
>
> *This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>
>

> *One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
> our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
> must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
> which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
> fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
> know.**—Catherine Munro*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Shlomi Fish
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:17:20 +0100
Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome, Kourosh!
>
> Cristian

Welcome, Kourosh, and good luck!

Regards,

        -- Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Tanweer Morshed
Welcome to Kourosh! Wikimedians around the world have already been creating
partnerships under various programs including GLAMs and with universities,
institutions etc. This is rational from the sense that this new department
(Strategic Partnerships) would address all these issues along with further
ways for improvement. Looking forward to Kourosh and his team's endeavors,
hope they bring meaningful and impact-driven partnerships for Wikimedia
movement. :)

Tanweer
Executive member
Wikimedia Bangladesh

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:17:20 +0100
> Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Welcome, Kourosh!
> >
> > Cristian
>
> Welcome, Kourosh, and good luck!
>
> Regards,
>
>         -- Shlomi Fish

Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Andreas Kolbe-2
I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.

The FAQ mentions that –

The new role is focused on creating value for the Wikimedia movement and on
supporting our ability to fulfil our mission. Value can be understood in
many different ways. We believe that it can be about relationships with
people, relationships with organizations, or in some cases, additional
financial resources.

Would it be possible to translate this into something more accessible? What
sorts of "additional financial resources" are we talking about, and who
would supply them to whom?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
Welcome, Kourosh!

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.
>
> The FAQ mentions that –
>
> The new role is focused on creating value for the Wikimedia movement and on
> supporting our ability to fulfil our mission. Value can be understood in
> many different ways. We believe that it can be about relationships with
> people, relationships with organizations, or in some cases, additional
> financial resources.
>
> Would it be possible to translate this into something more accessible? What
> sorts of "additional financial resources" are we talking about, and who
> would supply them to whom?

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury **Hasive :: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী **হাছিব*
Global User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive>

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Member | GAC Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Grant_Advisory_Committee>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Director | Wikimedia Bangladesh Operations Committee
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>
​fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/itsNCH> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive | www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Chris Keating-2
> I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.

It's quite a normal term in the USA. For instance, the Council for
Advancement and Support of Education is the (global, but US-dominated)
professional body for university fundraisers.

Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Jens Best-2
Saying that it is a "normal term in the USA" doesn't contradict the
impression Andreas has.

> > I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.
> >

> It's quite a normal term in the USA. For instance, the Council for
> Advancement and Support of Education is the (global, but US-dominated)
> professional body for university fundraisers.
>
> Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Andreas Kolbe-2
The recent Newsweek story on the Wifione / IIPM admin corruption case[1]
has clear implications for Wikipedia Zero.

Wikipedia Zero creates hundreds of millions of passive Wikipedia users who:

- Cannot see the sources of a Wikipedia article (I believe SMS users cannot
even see which statements *are* sourced and to what)
- Cannot view alternative sources
- Cannot meaningfully edit Wikipedia (lacking access to new sources)

At the same time, Wikipedia Zero creates a monopoly position for Wikipedia
that makes the site an even greater target for manipulation by local
elites, who *do* enjoy full read/write access to Wikipedia. Such monopolies
are fundamentally incompatible with the values underlying the idea of a
free and open web. Monopolies ultimately result in *control* rather than
*freedom* of information.

The Wifione case illustrates that even in the English Wikipedia attempts at
manipulation, focused on topics that the average Wikipedia contributor has
little interest in or knowledge about, can be successful and remain
undetected for years. Small, regional-language Wikipedias are far more
unstable still, as the example of the Croatian Wikipedia demonstrated all
too clearly.

Wikipedia is far too vulnerable to become the gatekeeper for information in
developing countries -- if such a gatekeeper were even desirable (which it
is not).

To give another example, I see that Wikipedia Zero is available in
Kazakhstan.

Jimmy Wales recently asserted on Reddit that the Kazakh government "does
not control the Kazahk *[sic]* Wikipedia".[2]

The Kazakh government, however, seems to disagree with Jimmy Wales.[3]

The Kazakh Prime Minister's official website has stated since 2011 that the
Kazakh Wikipedia project "is implemented under the auspices of the
Government of Kazakhstan and with the support of Prime Minister Karim
Massimov", quoting the head of WikiBilim and 2011 Wikipedian of the Year,
who today holds the office of a Deputy Governor in the Kazakh government[4]
and is the Founding Director of a Brussels-based think tank, the "Eurasian
Council on Foreign Affairs", which is widely considered a PR front of the
Kazakh government.[5][6][7]

Is aiding the market dominance and penetration of such a source through
Wikipedia Zero in line with movement values? Is the type of collaboration
described on Wikimedia's Outreach page for Kazakhstan?[8] I don't think so.

I thought we were on the side of those fighting for freedom of speech, not
the side of those suppressing it.

It's a concrete example of Wikipedia Zero aiding an oppressive government
in the control of information -- not at some point in the future, but today.

For a thoughtful examination of the issues surrounding Wikipedia Zero, I'd
ask everyone to take 5 minutes of their time to listen to the presentation
Thomas Lohninger gave at the Chaos Communication Congress in December 2014,
"Net Neutrality: Days of Future Past?"[9] Time code 37:00 onward.

I would be glad to see the Wikimedia Foundation rejoin the ranks of those
fighting for freedom of speech, and a free and open web for all.

[1]
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/04/03/manipulating-wikipedia-promote-bogus-business-school-316133.html
[2] https://archive.today/nyt1z – for the entire discussion three, see
https://archive.today/V1uG4
[3] https://archive.today/7kSLO
[4] http://www.inform.kz/eng/article/2730173
[5]
http://www.silkroadreporters.com/2015/02/20/jack-straw-slammed-taking-job-kazakhstan/
[6]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/jack-straw-criticised-for-accepting-parttime-job-paid-for-by-kazakhstan-10057426.html
[7] http://www.equaltimes.org/pr-firms-at-the-service-of-human
[8] https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Countries/Kazakhstan
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Education/Countries/Kazakhstan
[9]
http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2014/31c3_-_6170_-_en_-_saal_g_-_201412282145_-_net_neutrality_days_of_future_past_-_rejo_zenger_-_thomas_lohninger.html

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Jens Best <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Reddit.
> > He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
> > an active angel investor and startup advisor.
> >
> > In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
> > partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
> > mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
> > the new role, visit the FAQ here:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
> >
> > Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
> > leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
> > forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
> > support our mission.
> >
> > ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Anders Wennersten-2
I can agree on the dilemma you present.

But would not a better solution then the close down on Wikipedia Zero,
be to close down the projects that is not run "compatible with the
values underlying the idea of a free and open web"?.

I am (still) of the opinion that is is of utmost importance for the
movement and our brand that we start closing down projects. And not only
the 20-30 which are hijacked by unserious people but also the 50-100
which are not properly managed and infested with vandalism and unserious
articles

Anders

Andreas Kolbe skrev den 2015-03-30 20:37:

> [...]
>> Reddit.
>>> He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
>>> an active angel investor and startup advisor.
>>>
>>> In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
>>> partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
>>> mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more about
>>> the new role, visit the FAQ here:
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
>>>
>>> Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
>>> leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
>>> forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
>>> support our mission.
>>>
>>> ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
With Wikipedia Zero people have access to knowledge that they would not
have otherwise. It is well established that having information readily
available is an important indicator for further development. Not having
Wikipedia available is absolutely a worse situation than having it.

Your argument is imho a bleeding heart stance. Would it not be better if..
My answer is sure HOWEVER given that the objective of Wikipedia is to share
in the sum of all knowledge, your argument is decidedly secondary. Sources
may be important but they are secondary to having the information available
in the first place. As long as we have sources in full blown Wikipedia, as
long as it is WMF that provides the Wikipedia Zero content... what is your
point. Yes, ideally we want people to ensure that people know about
sources. When sources are just statements of fact and they are in turn not
accessible because of cost. What is your point in practical terms?

Wikipedia Zero is very much a fulfillment of our aspirations. Do not forget
who you are: white, privileged and well educated. What you propose is
taking away something that you take for granted. Not nice.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 30 March 2015 at 20:37, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> He's
> > > an active angel investor and startup advisor.
> > >
> > > In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
> > > partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect
> their
> > > mission. The new name is the Advancement Department.  To learn more
> about
> > > the new role, visit the FAQ here:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
> > >
> > > Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
> > > leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
> > > forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together
> > > support our mission.
> > >
> > > ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships

Dear Gerard,

your arguments are just emotional rhetorics. Saying that "white, privileged
and well educated" people aren't allowed to critize ways how
first-world-led telecoms (like Orange, Telenor) are spreading a wrong,
non-open "internet" in developing countries is just plain emotional
rhetoric far away from any fact.

Wikipedia Zero is NOT bringing the free knowledge of the world to the
people, it's bringing Wikipedia to the people, not more, not less. Also,
zero-rating is helping to establish user habits which are used to have
different prices for different kinds of data - That is the clearest
violation of net neutrality and therefore of an open and free web.

Ignoring this is just helping the (first-world-led) Telecoms to establish
NOT a free internet which also helped to create something like Wikipedia,
but a walled garden system where you pay for different data of even (as it
is the case e.g. in some parts of India) different websites. I think that
it is ignorant to profit only short-term by bringing a Walled Wikipedia to
the people and having Wikipedia in this exclusive deal in comparison to
establish a sustainable way to bring free knowledge (which is far more than
Wikipedia) to the people.

There must be another way to work for the value of "free knowledge for the
people" but to destroy net neutrality and the experience of an open web in
the very beginning at the same time. It is the duty of WMF to take care
also of the framework which enabled Wikipedia in the start. Ignoring this
and being proud of having a comfortable deal with some Telecoms is plain
wrong and irresponsible - especially for a free and open digital
development of the Global South.

best regards

Jens Best