[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Katherine Maher
Hi everyone,

I’m excited today to introduce the Wikimedia Foundation's new Chief
Technology Officer, Victoria Coleman. Victoria’s first day is November 7,
and she will be based in the Foundation's office in San Francisco.

Victoria comes to us with more than 20 years of experience in consumer and
enterprise technology. And as you’ll learn quickly when you start getting
to know her, she is deeply passionate about the importance of education,
and how the Wikimedia mission advances education and equity around the
world.

When we started looking for a CTO for the Foundation, projects, and
communities, we knew we were looking for a unique person - someone with the
experience to lead confidently, and the confidence to embrace open
collaboration in leadership. We were looking for someone with a track
record of success leading strategy and execution for technology platforms
at scale, someone will be an effective mentor and leader for our Technology
department, and a strong partner to Product teams. We needed someone who
would thrive in our culture and be an inclusive collaborator with staff and
community. We agreed that Victoria met these requirements and then some.

Victoria has deep experience across consumer and enterprise technology
fields and is a longtime advocate for innovation in education and the
public sector. She has seen and done many things in her career, from
mobility platforms to connected devices to cyber security to web services
at scale. She brings operational excellence in strategic long-term
planning, execution, delivery, and running large distributed teams.

Most recently, Victoria served as Senior Vice President and Chief
Technology Officer for the Connected Home Division of Technicolor, where
she was responsible for innovation strategy, product management, technology
roadmaps, and technical due diligence for acquisitions and partnerships.
Previously, as Senior Vice President of Research and Development at Harman,
she led the core technology platforms of the Infotainment Division
including systems and software, media, tuner, navigation, connectivity, and
advanced driver assist systems. Before this, she served as Vice President,
Emerging Technologies at Nokia, Vice President, Software Engineering of
Hewlett-Packard’s webOS global business unit, and Vice President of
Samsung's Advanced Institute of Technology.

Victoria also has deep familiarity with open source software development,
having witnessed the rise of the Unix movement first as a student and later
as an instructor. She has been actively involved in the development of the
Linux-based LiMo (renamed Tizen). She passionately believes in the power of
open source and is familiar with how a commitment to open source
strengthens platforms and products at an integral level.

Victoria received her B.Sc and M.Sc in Electronic Computer Systems and Computer
Aided Logic Design respectively from the University of Salford, UK and her
Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Manchester, UK. She is the
author of over 60 articles and books (!). She has worked with teams around
the world, including in Belgium, Brazil, China, France, Finland, Germany,
India, Israel, Korea, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

One thing that struck many of us throughout our conversations was
Victoria's commitment to volunteering her knowledge and expertise outside
of her daily professional activities, serving on advisory councils in
higher education and the public sector. She is on the advisory Board of the
Santa Clara University Department of Computer Engineering, and she is also
a Senior Advisor to the Director of the  University of California
Berkeley’s Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of
Society. She serves as a volunteer advisor on both Lockheed Martin’s
Technology Advisory Group and on the United States Department of Defense’s
Defense Science Board where she offers advice and recommendations on
science, technology, manufacturing, and acquisition processes.

As a native of Greece, Victoria is interested in becoming a contributor on
Greek Wikipedia, and getting to know our colleagues and communities over
the coming months.

As many of you know, the CTO search has been an intensive process and our
highest recruiting priority in recent months. Dozens of people from across
the organization contributed to this effort, most notably the CTO hiring
committee, which included directors and senior staff from the Technology
department. Representatives from the C-level, Technology, and Product teams
also participated in interviews, panels, and lunches. In total, we reviewed
nearly 900 candidates, advancing 190 to recruiter screens, and reviewing 70
with the hiring committee.

I want to personally thank every single person who was involved in this
process. The focus and dedication of the Foundation’s recruiting team were
remarkable, as were the diligence and commitment of the many staff and
volunteers who supported this search.

More information on Victoria’s full background can be found in our blog
post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/

Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
our movement!

Warmly,
Katherine

***

An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer

***

--
Katherine Maher

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Christophe Henner-3
\o/

Welcome Victoria! Really really glad to have you joining us!

Welcome again!

And thank you to everyone that contributed to make this search successful!
:)

Le 2 nov. 2016 7:23 PM, "Katherine Maher" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
> post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
>
> Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> our movement!
>
> Warmly,
> Katherine
>
> ***
>
> An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
>
> ***
>
> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street
> San Francisco, CA 94105
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Nataliia Tymkiv
+1 to Cheristophe and Katherine:
Welcome Victoria :)

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> > victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
> >
> > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> > our movement!
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Katherine
> >
> > ***
> >
> > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> >
> > ***
> >
> > --
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > San Francisco, CA 94105
> >
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> > +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Sage Ross
In case the link didn't work for anyone else:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/

-Sage

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
>
> Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> our movement!
>
> Warmly,
> Katherine
>
> ***
>
> An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
>
> ***
>
> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street
> San Francisco, CA 94105
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Patricio Lorente
Great news! Welcome, Victoria!

El mié., 2 de nov. de 2016 a la(s) 15:32, Sage Ross <
[hidden email]> escribió:

> [...]
> > victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
> >
> > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> > our movement!
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Katherine
> >
> > ***
> >
> > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> >
> > ***
> >
> > --
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > San Francisco, CA 94105
> >
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635 <+1%20415-839-6885>
> > +1 (415) 712 4873 <+1%20415-712-4873>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Sydney Poore
Welcome, Victoria! Looking forward to having you as a part of the wikimedia
movement!

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation
> and
> > > our movement!
> > >
> > > Warmly,
> > > Katherine
> > >
> > > ***
> > >
> > > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> > >
> > > ***
> > >
> > > --
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > > San Francisco, CA 94105
> > >
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635 <+1%20415-839-6885>
> > > +1 (415) 712 4873 <+1%20415-712-4873>
> > > [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Pine W
Thank you for joining us, Victoria. We've been waiting for a VPT for a long
time.

Looking forward to all good things,

Pine

Pine

wrote:

> [...]
> post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
>
> Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> our movement!
>
> Warmly,
> Katherine
>
> ***
>
> An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
>
> ***
>
> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street
> San Francisco, CA 94105
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Anna Stillwell
Welcome, Victoria. I've been struck by your career maturity, the way you
have honored the talents and insights of the tech team, your openness and
candor, and your obvious competence.

I'm looking forward to your contribution.

Warmly,
/a

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > More information on Victoria’s full background can be found in our blog
> > > post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> > > victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
> > >
> > > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation
> and
> > > our movement!
> > >
> > > Warmly,
> > > Katherine
> > >
> > > ***
> > >
> > > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> > >
> > > ***
> > >
> > > --
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > > San Francisco, CA 94105
> > >
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635 <+1%20415-839-6885>

Anna Stillwell
Director of Culture
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Damon Sicore-2

Victoria,

This is great news!  I believe your talent, knowledge, and insight will boost and elevate the WMF community, and I know your positive personality will be warmly welcomed.

Yours faithfully,
Damon Sicore
https://damon.sicore.com <https://damon.sicore.com/>
6E98 FBFB D192 D325 B85D  D4FF FD2A 20ED DC1D 3975

> [...]
> post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
>
> Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> our movement!
>
> Warmly,
> Katherine
>
> ***
>
> An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
>
> ***
>
> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street
> San Francisco, CA 94105
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

Tim Moritz Hector-2
A warm welcome to Wikimedia also from Germany, Victoria! I'm happy to see
you joining the movement and wish you a good start at the Wikimedia
Foundation.

Best regards
Tim Moritz Hector

Chair of the Board
Wikimedia Deutschland

Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
http://www.wikimedia.de

> [...]
> > post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> > victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
> >
> > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> > our movement!
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Katherine
> >
> > ***
> >
> > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> >
> > ***
> >
> > --
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > San Francisco, CA 94105
> >
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> > +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

shola ishola
‎Wow!!!

This is a great news. Welcome Victoria on board.

Best Regards
Olushola

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
> [...]

> > post announcing her arrival: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/11/02/
> > victoria-coleman-chief-technology-officer/
> >
> > Victoria is on CC - please join me in welcoming her to the Foundation and
> > our movement!
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Katherine
> >
> > ***
> >
> > An on-wiki version of this message is available for translation:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/
> > Introducing_Victoria_Coleman_-_Chief_Technology_Officer
> >
> > ***
> >
> > --
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 149 New Montgomery Street
> > San Francisco, CA 94105
> >
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> > +1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Victoria Coleman, WMF Chief Technology Officer

bobby shabangu
Impressive resume,

Welcome Victoria.

On 03 Nov 2016 11:44 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ‎Wow!!!
>
> This is a great news. Welcome Victoria on board.
>
> Best Regards
> Olushola
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
Welcome Victoria.

-Hasive
WMBD
@nhasive

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Bobby Shabangu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Impressive resume,
>
> Welcome Victoria.
>
> On 03 Nov 2016 11:44 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ‎Wow!!!
>
> This is a great news. Welcome Victoria on board.
>
> Best Regards
> Olushola
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Nikola Kalchev
I am very impressed. A great career until now, good universities, published
books. Victoria, I wish you plenty of success! Welcome!
Nikola / User:Лорд Бъмбъри
Wikimedians of Bulgaria

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Nurunnaby Hasive <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Welcome Victoria.
>
> -Hasive
> WMBD
> @nhasive
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Bobby Shabangu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Impressive resume,
> >
> > Welcome Victoria.
> >
> > On 03 Nov 2016 11:44 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > ‎Wow!!!
> >
> > This is a great news. Welcome Victoria on board.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Olushola
> >
> > Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Kalliope Tsouroupidou