[Wikimedia-l] Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

[Wikimedia-l] Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Gregory Varnum-4
Hello everyone,

The next Wikimedia Monthly Activities meeting will take place on Thursday,
October 25th, 2018 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC channel is
#wikimedia-office on https://webchat.freenode.net, and the meeting will be
broadcast as a live YouTube stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk. We’ll post the video recording
publicly after the meeting.

During the October 2018 meeting, we will have an update on the movement,
Wikimedia 2030 status update, a presentation on values, principles and
methods, and more.

Meeting agenda:
Welcome and introduction to agenda - 2 minutes
Movement update - 3 minutes
Values, Principles, and Methods, oh my! - 10 minutes
Wikimedia 2030 status update and opportunities to participate - 20 minutes
To be announced - 5-10 minutes
Questions and discussion - 10 minutes
Wikilove - 5 minutes

Please review the meeting's Meta-Wiki page for further information about
the meeting and how to participate:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings

The November 2018 and December 2018 monthly activities meetings will be
combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at 19:00
UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to
participate, please visit:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up

Thank you,

--
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Sasha Redkina
REMINDER: This meeting starts in 30 minutes.Updated agenda in the
original email.

Sasha Redkina
Front Office Coordinator
*The Wikimedia Foundation*
www.wikimediafoundation.org

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:47 PM Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The next Wikimedia Monthly Activities meeting will take place on Thursday,
> October 25th, 2018 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC channel is
> #wikimedia-office on https://webchat.freenode.net, and the meeting will
> be broadcast as a live YouTube stream:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk. We’ll post the video
> recording publicly after the meeting.
>
> During the October 2018 meeting, we will have an update on the movement,
> Wikimedia 2030 status update, a presentation on values, principles and
> methods, and more.
>
> Meeting agenda:
> Welcome and introduction to agenda - 2 minutes
> Movement update - 3 minutes
> Values, Principles, and Methods, oh my! - 10 minutes
> Wikimedia 2030 status update and opportunities to participate - 20 minutes
> Update from the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director - 10 minutes
> Questions and discussion - 10 minutes
> Wikilove - 5 minutes
>
> Please review the meeting's Meta-Wiki page for further information about
> the meeting and how to participate:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings
>
> The November 2018 and December 2018 monthly activities meetings will be
> combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at 19:00
> UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to
> participate, please visit:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
>

> Thank you,
>

> --
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/His/Him

[Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Gregory Varnum-4
Hello everyone,

Reminder that this month’s Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting will begin in approximately 30 minutes.

The “To be determined” slot will be an "Update from the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director”.

I hope that you are able to join us, or watch the video on Wikimedia Commons (or YouTube) later.

-------
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist
Pronouns: He/Him/His

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC
> Date: October 22, 2018 at 10:46:48 PM PDT
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> The next Wikimedia Monthly Activities meeting will take place on Thursday, October 25th, 2018 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC channel is #wikimedia-office on https://webchat.freenode.net <https://webchat.freenode.net/>, and the meeting will be broadcast as a live YouTube stream:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk>. We’ll post the video recording publicly after the meeting.
>
> During the October 2018 meeting, we will have an update on the movement, Wikimedia 2030 status update, a presentation on values, principles and methods, and more.
>
> Meeting agenda:
> Welcome and introduction to agenda - 2 minutes
> Movement update - 3 minutes
> Values, Principles, and Methods, oh my! - 10 minutes
> Wikimedia 2030 status update and opportunities to participate - 20 minutes
> Update from the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director - 5-10 minutes
> Questions and discussion - 10 minutes
> Wikilove - 5 minutes
>
> Please review the meeting's Meta-Wiki page for further information about the meeting and how to participate:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings>
>
> The November 2018 and December 2018 monthly activities meetings will be combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at 19:00 UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to participate, please visit:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up>
>

> Thank you,
>

> --
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Pronouns: He/His/Him

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Fæ
Saw this message today. Almost all readers of this list will find a
broadcasted 30 minutes reminder equally useless.

Please revisit this part of the WMF comms plan.

Thanks
Fae

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 18:35 Greg Varnum, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > The November 2018 and December 2018 monthly activities meetings will be
> combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at 19:00
> UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to
> participate, please visit:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
> >

> > Thank you,
> >

> > --
> > Gregory Varnum
> > Communications Strategist
> > Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>
> > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > Pronouns: He/His/Him

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Anders Wennersten-2
I disagree.

For me it is perfect. I get the impulse to get in and I know if I am
busy with other things. Reminder of something in the future get lost
otherwise.

Anders

Den 2018-10-26 kl. 10:22, skrev Fæ:

> [...]
>>> The November 2018 and December 2018 monthly activities meetings will be
>> combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at 19:00
>> UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to
>> participate, please visit:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
>> <
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Gregory Varnum
>>> Communications Strategist
>>> Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>
>>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> Pronouns: He/His/Him

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

If you find several broadcast emails for the same meeting useful, please
join [hidden email]. You can get all the
broadcasts you want there, including this one.

Fae

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 09:35 Anders Wennersten, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I disagree.
>
> For me it is perfect. I get the impulse to get in and I know if I am
> busy with other things. Reminder of something in the future get lost
> otherwise.
>
> Anders
>

> Den 2018-10-26 kl. 10:22, skrev Fæ:
> > Saw this message today. Almost all readers of this list will find a
> > broadcasted 30 minutes reminder equally useless.
> >
> > Please revisit this part of the WMF comms plan.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Fae
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 18:35 Greg Varnum, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> Reminder that this month’s Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting will
> begin
> >> in approximately 30 minutes.
> >>
> >> The “To be determined” slot will be an "Update from the Wikimedia
> >> Foundation Executive Director”.
> >>
> >> I hope that you are able to join us, or watch the video on Wikimedia
> >> Commons (or YouTube) later.
> >>

> >> -------
> >> Gregory Varnum
> >> Communications Strategist
> >> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Pronouns: He/Him/His

> >> Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC
> >> WikimediaAnnounce-l <[hidden email]>, "Staff
> >> (All)" <[hidden email]>

> >> Thursday, October 25th, 2018 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC
> channel is
> >> #wikimedia-office on https://webchat.freenode.net <
> >> https://webchat.freenode.net/>, and the meeting will be broadcast as a
> >> live YouTube stream:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk <
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86J8N1gExk>. We’ll post the video
> >> recording publicly after the meeting.
> movement,
> >> Wikimedia 2030 status update, a presentation on values, principles and
> >> methods, and more.
> >> minutes

> about
> >> the meeting and how to participate:
> <
> >> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings>
> >> combined and will take place on Thursday, December 6th, starting at
> 19:00
> >> UTC (11:00 Pacific Daylight Time). If you would like to sign up to
> >> participate, please visit:
> >>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up
> >> <
> >>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings/Sign_up

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

Pine W
Hi Fae,

I would like to mention that WikimediaAnnounce-l is supposed to forward to
Wikimedia-l (although there have often been technical problems with this
and I believe that these problems are ongoing), so under the present system
it may not be possible for Wikimedia-l subscribers to escape from
announcements that are sent to WikimediaAnnounce-l unless someone creates a
custom filter in their email service. Your suggestion that people who want
reminders should subscribe to WikimediaAnnounce-l is okay, but that
probably would not save subscribers to Wikimedia-l from receiving reminders
unless all reminders are sent to WikimediaAnnounce-l and those reminders
are not forwarded to Wikimedia-l. I would not support stopping
WikimediaAnnounce-l emails from being forwarded to Wikimedia-l.

I would also like to suggest that your tone on this topic could be more
diplomatic, and that you should refrain from making assertions about how
almost all readers of this list feel in the absence of some evidence that
would support such an assertion.

Of the things to be upset about, I understand how this one could be
irritating, but there doesn't seem to be consensus that there is a problem,
and I don't think that it's worth losing one's temper over this subject.

I am near to the monthly limit of 15 emails to Wikimedia-l, and I want to
conserve my remaining few emails for other subjects, so this will be my
only post in this thread for this month. If you want to talk more, you can
contact me off-list.

Pine

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you find several broadcast emails for the same meeting useful, please
> join [hidden email]. You can get all the
> broadcasts you want there, including this one.
>
> Fae
>

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 09:35 Anders Wennersten, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I disagree.
> >
> > For me it is perfect. I get the impulse to get in and I know if I am
> > busy with other things. Reminder of something in the future get lost
> > otherwise.
> >
> > Anders
> >

> > Den 2018-10-26 kl. 10:22, skrev Fæ:
> > > Saw this message today. Almost all readers of this list will find a
> > > broadcasted 30 minutes reminder equally useless.
> > >
> > > Please revisit this part of the WMF comms plan.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Invitation to the October 2018 Wikimedia Monthly Activities Meeting: Thursday, October 25th, 18:00 UTC

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Hi Sasha,

Thank you for taking care of taking care of this kind of reminder. While I don't necessarily read them at relevant time, I always greatly appreciate them when they avoid me missing such an opportunity while I'm available to join.☺️

Cheers, Mathieu