[Wikimedia-l] Invitation to upcoming office hours with interim ED

[Wikimedia-l] Invitation to upcoming office hours with interim ED

Katherine Maher
Hi everyone,

hours, where I’ll answer community questions and share updates on the
Foundation’s work.**

It’s been a busy few weeks around the Wikimedia Foundation offices. We
shared our 2016-2017 annual plan, finished our quarterly reviews, and
attended Wikimedia Conference 2016 in Berlin with the Wikimedia affiliates.
[1]

In Berlin, I had the chance to do one of my favorite things: sit with
Wikimedians, listen, debate, and plan for the future. Of course, Berlin is
just one gathering, and there are thousands of other perspectives out
there. I want to hear more of these perspectives, and so I’m looking
forward to hosting two office hours over the coming weeks.

We plan to hold a traditional office hours on IRC, and will also experiment
with a video Q&A. We hope these different formats will make it easier for
more people to participate using their preferred communications channels.
We’ve chosen two different time zones, with the goal of reaching as many
people as possible. They are as follows:

*Video session*
*This session will be recorded, and the video will be posted on
Commons/Meta. Due to video conferencing limitations, we encourage advance
questions.*
Wednesday, 11 May 2016
00:00-1:00 UTC | 17:00-18:00 PDT [2]

*IRC session*
*This session follows the May monthly metrics meeting.[4] Like other office
hours, it will be held in #Wikimedia-office on Freenode.*
Thursday, 26 May 2016
19:00-20:00 UTC | 12:00-13:00 PDT [3]

We’re also collecting questions in advance for those who can’t make either
of those sessions. We’ve created a page on Meta where you can leave
questions or comments, check the details on the location of each session:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours

Please share this invitation with others you think may be interested!

I look forward to speaking soon,
Katherine

Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
Meta-Wiki:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours/Announcement

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2016
[2] Time converter link:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=0&min=00&sec=0&day=12&month=05&year=2016
[3] Time converter link:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=19&min=00&sec=0&day=26&month=05&year=2016
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings

--
Katherine Maher

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Invitation to upcoming office hours with interim ED

Risker
Just noting that 1700-1800 PDT on Wednesday May 11 is 0000-0100 UTC on
Thursday May 12. Based on the link given, this seems to be when the meeting
will be held. Please verify.

Risker/Anne

On 4 May 2016 at 21:28, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forwarding.
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Invitation to upcoming office hours with interim ED

Gregory Varnum-2
Hi Risker,

You are correct, and I apologize for that confusion. When the message was originally drafted, there were PDT based times, and the date change was accidentally missed when UTC was added.

The pages for the session have been updated to reflect the dates more accurately:
Thursday, 12 May 2016 - 00:00-01:00 UTC | Wednesday, 11 May 2016 - 17:00-18:00 PDT

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours>

Thank you for pointing that out. :)

-greg

PS. I personally continue to dislike time zones. ;)

---
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist (Contractor)
Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> On May 4, 2016, at 10:01 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just noting that 1700-1800 PDT on Wednesday May 11 is 0000-0100 UTC on
> Thursday May 12. Based on the link given, this seems to be when the meeting
> will be held. Please verify.
>
> Risker/Anne
>
> On 4 May 2016 at 21:28, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Forwarding.
>>
>> Pine

[Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Gregory Varnum-4
Greetings,

A quick reminder that the first office hours with Wikimedia Foundation’s interim Executive Director, Katherine Maher, is coming up in the next day (roughly).

Apologies for confusion on the time, here is the time for the first session, being held via video:
Thursday, 12 May 2016 - 00:00-01:00 UTC | Wednesday, 11 May 2016 - 17:00-18:00 PDT

You are invited to ask questions and offer suggestions to Katherine on this Meta-Wiki page (which also has additional information on the office hours):  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours

You can join us and ask questions during the session via Blue Jeans:  https://bluejeans.com/198076339

The session will also be available for streaming on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XazXyL-Ybjo

We look forward to talking with folks soon!
-greg

Translation notice - This original message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki:
> [...]

> questions.*
> Wednesday, 11 May 2016
> 00:00-1:00 UTC | 17:00-18:00 PDT [2]
>
> *IRC session*
> *This session follows the May monthly metrics meeting.[4] Like other office
> hours, it will be held in #Wikimedia-office on Freenode.*
> Thursday, 26 May 2016
> 19:00-20:00 UTC | 12:00-13:00 PDT [3]
>
> We’re also collecting questions in advance for those who can’t make either
> of those sessions. We’ve created a page on Meta where you can leave
> questions or comments, check the details on the location of each session:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours
>
> Please share this invitation with others you think may be interested!
>
> I look forward to speaking soon,
> Katherine
>
> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

[Wikimedia Announcements] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

> [...]

> questions.*
> Wednesday, 11 May 2016
> 00:00-1:00 UTC | 17:00-18:00 PDT [2]
>
> *IRC session*
> *This session follows the May monthly metrics meeting.[4] Like other office
> hours, it will be held in #Wikimedia-office on Freenode.*
> Thursday, 26 May 2016
> 19:00-20:00 UTC | 12:00-13:00 PDT [3]
>
> We’re also collecting questions in advance for those who can’t make either
> of those sessions. We’ve created a page on Meta where you can leave
> questions or comments, check the details on the location of each session:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours
>
> Please share this invitation with others you think may be interested!
>
> I look forward to speaking soon,
> Katherine
>
> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Joseph Seddon-6
A reminder that this is currently happening now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XazXyL-Ybjo - WMF Executive Director Office
Hours

Regards

Seddon

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > 00:00-1:00 UTC | 17:00-18:00 PDT [2]
> >
> > *IRC session*
> > *This session follows the May monthly metrics meeting.[4] Like other
> office
> > hours, it will be held in #Wikimedia-office on Freenode.*
> > Thursday, 26 May 2016
> > 19:00-20:00 UTC | 12:00-13:00 PDT [3]
> >
> > We’re also collecting questions in advance for those who can’t make
> either
> > of those sessions. We’ve created a page on Meta where you can leave
> > questions or comments, check the details on the location of each session:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours
> >
> > Please share this invitation with others you think may be interested!
> >
> > I look forward to speaking soon,
> > Katherine
> >
> > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Fæ
Thanks for the link. Handful of quick points:

1. The sound quality is poor, to a level where I find it quite hard to
work out what is being said half the time especially as the speech is
quite rapid. It would be worth investing in a bit of better audio kit
for these videoed discussions. If the video is being captured
remotely, better results might be possible by having a local capture,
at least of the audio.

2. It would be great to have a tiny index as a text note on youtube at
the time of publication so that, say, on an hour+ long meeting like
this it would be possible to skip around the video to when new
questions are addressed. Though the session notes are useful
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours/Video-based_session_notes>,
there is no relationship to timing.

3. The video has been published on a standard youtube license. Can
those that manage these videos apply a free license that would be
allowed on Wikimedia Commons as a default please?

As a side note, there was quite a few minutes of in-crowd banter at
the start, an awkward drop-out mid-way for a couple of minutes and
another award minute or two at the end where the meeting was being
accidentally recorded to youtube after it ended. It might be good to
edit these out of the published version considering it is a public
record.

Thanks,
Fae

On 12 May 2016 at 01:12, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > [2] Time converter link:
>> >
>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=0&min=00&sec=0&day=12&month=05&year=2016
>> > [3] Time converter link:
>> >
>> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=19&min=00&sec=0&day=26&month=05&year=2016
>> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings
>> >

>> > --
>> > Katherine Maher
>> >
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> > 149 New Montgomery Street
>> > San Francisco, CA 94105
>> >
>> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
>> > +1 (415) 712 4873
>> > [hidden email]

> Seddon
>
> *Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
> *Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Brill Lyle
1. The sound quality was fine from what I saw and heard. I was on a desktop
computer using the Blue Jeans thing (which had the YouTube video playing)
and IRC chat -- and etherpad

2. Session notes were done live in Wiki Markup format on the etherpad which
resulted in a truly great cooperative effort to list detailed minutes. It
allowed a super quick publish to Wiki which was ideal. I was really happy
to see that and hope it can be a model going forward. I would suggest
having a "template" of information pre-filled out to facilitate the notes
going forward.

Having a timekeeper would probably necessitate having one person designated
to put time-stamps on main points. I think if there's consensus then
cooperatively this could be done? It seems like babysteps here -- having
transparent, detailed notes that are quickly turned around -- might be the
priority over the time-stamps but this is a logical and reasonable request,
I agree.

3. Agree on licensing default for published videos. Ideally the video
should be embedded on the Minutes page as a supporting resource.

An additional comment:

I'm new to both Wiki-l and learning more about the governance of WMF. I was
very happy with this meeting and the efforts made by Katherine to be
transparent and up front. However, I think this is a lot of pressure and
from my new perspective it is seeming to come down on one competent person.
I think this is a tough and somewhat problematic strategic position for any
one person to be in, and for any institution to rely upon. I hope that
there are more people who can take leadership roles at WMF who would share
this load. Assuming the consensus is for this approach to governance.

- Erika

*Erika Herzog*
Wikipedia *User:BrillLyle* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BrillLyle>
Secretary, Wikimedia NYC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC>

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Handful of quick points:
>
> 1. The sound quality is poor, to a level where I find it quite hard to
> work out what is being said half the time especially as the speech is
> quite rapid. It would be worth investing in a bit of better audio kit
> for these videoed discussions. If the video is being captured
> remotely, better results might be possible by having a local capture,
> at least of the audio.
>
> 2. It would be great to have a tiny index as a text note on youtube at
> the time of publication so that, say, on an hour+ long meeting like
> this it would be possible to skip around the video to when new
> questions are addressed. Though the session notes are useful
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours/Video-based_session_notes
> >,
> there is no relationship to timing.
>
> 3. The video has been published on a standard youtube license. Can
> those that manage these videos apply a free license that would be
> allowed on Wikimedia Commons as a default please?
>
> As a side note, there was quite a few minutes of in-crowd banter at
> the start, an awkward drop-out mid-way for a couple of minutes and
> another award minute or two at the end where the meeting was being
> accidentally recorded to youtube after it ended. It might be good to
> edit these out of the published version considering it is a public
> record.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Tim Landscheidt
Brill Lyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. The sound quality was fine from what I saw and heard. I was on a desktop
> computer using the Blue Jeans thing (which had the YouTube video playing)
> and IRC chat -- and etherpad

> […]

I listened in on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XazXyL-Ybjo
pointed to by Joseph Seddon (NB not a video of
https://www.youtube.com/user/WikimediaFoundation), and the
sound quality isn't "fine" for me.  For benchmarking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA is a broadcast
from another celestial body.

On YouTube there are videos of non-professionals explaining
how to comb one's hair or peel a potato that have far better
sound quality, and they neither have to convey complex con-
cepts that require the viewer to listen closely nor the
eight-digit resources to buy expensive equipment, but a
headset or a lapel microphone seems to make quite a differ-
ence.

Tim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Katherine Maher
Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback, and a few thoughts:

1. This is the first time we've done a video office hours and we have some
things to learn about how to produce them effectively. I'm sorry the audio
on the YouTube recording wasn't great - we can make that a priority in the
future. I know I also tend to speak quickly, which can be difficult for
people who do not speak English natively, for example. This is something I
will keep working on. We might make other tweaks to the format - for
example, we might do a smaller room next time, or closer to the webcam.

2. Time stamps would definitely make it easier to skip around in the video.
Perhaps we can work something similar out for the future. Solid suggestion.

3. Noted on licensing. We can see what the options are there.

4. BrillLyle, rest easy! We have an excellent tean here at the WMF,
including people in both formal and informal leadership roles, from
individual contributors to executive team members. Some of them are well
known to community, others are strong internally in the Foundation. I hope
community members will increasingly see these leaders engaging publicly,
through greater participation at events and conferences, in metrics
meetings, and on-wiki and elsewhere. On the current executive team alone, I
believe we have more than 25 years combined experience at the WMF, which I
expect compares favorably to past teams. I am very grateful to know many
colleagues well through our work together over the past two years, and have
great confidence in their skills and judgement.

Yesterday was an experiment, and we'll do another, more traditional IRC
office hours next week following the May metrics meeting. It should be
different in style and speed; I'm looking forward to it. A reminder of the
details:

*IRC session*
This session follows the May monthly metrics meeting
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings>. Like
other office hours, it will be held in #Wikimedia-office
<irc://irc.freenode.net/Wikimedia-office>connect
<https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Wikimedia-office> on
irc.freednode.org <irc://irc.freenode.net/>.
Thursday, 26 May 2016 - 19:00
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=19&min=00&sec=0&day=26&month=05&year=2016>
-20:00 UTC
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=20&min=00&sec=0&day=26&month=05&year=2016>

12:00-13:00 PDT

Cheers,
Katherine

On Thursday, May 12, 2016, Brill Lyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >,
> > there is no relationship to timing.
> >
> > 3. The video has been published on a standard youtube license. Can
> > those that manage these videos apply a free license that would be
> > allowed on Wikimedia Commons as a default please?
> >
> > As a side note, there was quite a few minutes of in-crowd banter at
> > the start, an awkward drop-out mid-way for a couple of minutes and
> > another award minute or two at the end where the meeting was being
> > accidentally recorded to youtube after it ended. It might be good to
> > edit these out of the published version considering it is a public
> > record.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Kevin Smith
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Brill Lyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. Session notes were done live in Wiki Markup format on the etherpad which
> resulted in a truly great cooperative effort to list detailed minutes. It
> allowed a super quick publish to Wiki which was ideal.

For those who aren't aware, it's now possible to bring etherpad native
formatting (e.g. bold, bullet lists) into a wiki page. You just have to use
etherpad's "Export to HTML" feature, and then paste that result into Visual
Editor.

If the formatting is heavy on headings, wiki format is probably better.
Otherwise, native formatting tends to be easier to deal with during the
meeting itself (e.g. indenting nested bullet lists, WYSIWYG bold, etc.).

It's great that we now have both options. Thanks VE team!

Kevin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Brill Lyle
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the visual editor -- but during the
presentation it was sort of awesome how quickly the notes shifted into Wiki
Markup....

Anything that onboards folks into using more Wiki Markup, I'm a fan of that.

But good to know this for going forward.

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Brill Lyle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > 2. Session notes were done live in Wiki Markup format on the etherpad
> which
> > resulted in a truly great cooperative effort to list detailed minutes. It
> > allowed a super quick publish to Wiki which was ideal.
> >

> For those who aren't aware, it's now possible to bring etherpad native
> formatting (e.g. bold, bullet lists) into a wiki page. You just have to use
> etherpad's "Export to HTML" feature, and then paste that result into Visual
> Editor.
>
> If the formatting is heavy on headings, wiki format is probably better.
> Otherwise, native formatting tends to be easier to deal with during the
> meeting itself (e.g. indenting nested bullet lists, WYSIWYG bold, etc.).
>
> It's great that we now have both options. Thanks VE team!
>
> Kevin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with WMF interim Executive Director

Gregory Varnum-4
One additional follow-up on the video-based session.

The notes are on Meta-Wiki:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours/Video-based_session_notes

Additionally, the video recording has been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. We edited out the unrelated parts mentioned earlier, and attempted to improve the audio. Thank you to Brendan in WMF Office IT for his help with this.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Interim_Executive_Director_May_2016_Video_Office_Hours.webm

As Katherine said, thank you to everyone that participated, and we look forward to talking with folks at the IRC session later this month.

-greg

---
> [...]

>>> this it would be possible to skip around the video to when new
>>> questions are addressed. Though the session notes are useful
>>> <
>>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours/Video-based_session_notes
>>> there is no relationship to timing.
>>>
>>> 3. The video has been published on a standard youtube license. Can
>>> those that manage these videos apply a free license that would be
>>> allowed on Wikimedia Commons as a default please?
>>>
>>> As a side note, there was quite a few minutes of in-crowd banter at
>>> the start, an awkward drop-out mid-way for a couple of minutes and
>>> another award minute or two at the end where the meeting was being
>>> accidentally recorded to youtube after it ended. It might be good to
>>> edit these out of the published version considering it is a public

[Wikimedia Announcements] REMINDER: Invitation to upcoming office hours with interim ED

Gregory Varnum-4
Greetings,

A quick reminder that the second office hours with Wikimedia Foundation’s interim Executive Director, Katherine Maher, is coming up later today.

The session is being held via IRC shortly after the May Monthly Metrics Meeting:
Thursday, 26 May 2016 - 19:00-20:00 UTC | 12:00-13:00 PDT

You can join us and ask questions during the session on IRC:  irc.freenode.org — #Wikimedia-office

Additional information on the office hours is available on Meta-Wiki:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director/May_2016_office_hours

We look forward to talking with folks again soon!