[Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

[Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Sucheta Ghoshal
Hi all,

A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge repository
of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to make
available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be involved
- as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is some
Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this particular
domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either, but I
assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to host
it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as much
inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
would be deeply appreciated.

Best,
Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Richard Symonds-3
This sounds like a Wikisource idea - do we have any wikisourcerers who can
give their thoughts?

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 5 January 2015 at 13:30, Sucheta Ghoshal <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
> counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
> working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge repository
> of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to make
> available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
> contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be involved
> - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is some
> Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
> appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this particular
> domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
> about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either, but I
> assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to host
> it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
> But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as much
> inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
> be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
> would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Craig Franklin
Wikisource should only be used for material that has already been published
elsewhere, it sounds like what's being attempted here is original
publishing.

One option may be simply to set up your own MediaWiki installation and host
such material there.  You can therefore set your own licencing rules for
the content, and make your own rules about what is and is not allowed.

Cheers,
Craig Franklin

On 5 January 2015 at 23:42, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds like a Wikisource idea - do we have any wikisourcerers who can
> give their thoughts?
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
>
> On 5 January 2015 at 13:30, Sucheta Ghoshal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
> > counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
> > working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge
> repository
> > of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to
> make
> > available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
> > contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be
> involved
> > - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is
> some
> > Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> > enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
> > appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this
> particular
> > domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
> > about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either,
> but I
> > assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to
> host
> > it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
> > But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as
> much
> > inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
> > be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
> > would be deeply appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> > Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Andrea Zanni-2
The Wikisource dogma is:
"If things are published and free, they belong to Wikisource".

Unfortunately, there is no Wikimedia project for original research,
Sucheta.
As an example, some years ago I wanted to host my bachelor thesis (about
Wikisource) in a fixed form on Wikisource (and I could do it), but also on
a dynamic and collaborative form on Wikibooks.
But Wikibooks is for manuals and textbooks, so it's not the right place.

IMHO, this issue will get bigger and bigger over the years, and there could
be room for another Wikimedia project that would allow open access,
collaborative peer review and editing of original research. It could be a
sort of new environment between academic publishing and Wikipedia (which
now are quite distant for several reasons).

Aubrey

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds like a Wikisource idea - do we have any wikisourcerers who can
> give their thoughts?
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
>
> On 5 January 2015 at 13:30, Sucheta Ghoshal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
> > counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
> > working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge
> repository
> > of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to
> make
> > available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
> > contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be
> involved
> > - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is
> some
> > Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> > enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
> > appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this
> particular
> > domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
> > about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either,
> but I
> > assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to
> host
> > it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
> > But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as
> much
> > inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
> > be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
> > would be deeply appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> > Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Sucheta Ghoshal, 05/01/2015 14:30:
> huge repository
> of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to make
> available digitally in the form of free contents.

Freely licensed reproductions of relevant primary sources are definitely
welcome on Wikimedia Commons.

> We wish to have the
> contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be involved
> - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is some
> Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> enormous amount of original research.

The original research part *might* be allowed on some Wikibooks
subdomains, you have to ask the community in the relevant language.

For your own wiki, it's probably best to enter an open farm. There are
several. https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Farm:Farms

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Ting Chen-2
Hello Sucheta,

for me this looks like a good restart for Wikiversity. For me beside of
providing university courses one of the target of Wikiversity is also
always to be actually do crowd sourced research works.

Best regards
Ting

Am 01/05/2015 um 02:30 PM schrieb Sucheta Ghoshal:

> Hi all,
>
> A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
> counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
> working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge repository
> of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to make
> available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
> contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be involved
> - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is some
> Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
> appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this particular
> domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
> about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either, but I
> assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to host
> it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
> But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as much
> inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
> be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
> would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2015-01-05 14:56, Andrea Zanni wrote:

> IMHO, this issue will get bigger and bigger over the years, and there
> could
> be room for another Wikimedia project that would allow open access,
> collaborative peer review and editing of original research. It could be
> sort of new environment between academic publishing and Wikipedia
> (which
> now are quite distant for several reasons).
>
> Aubrey

Whereas there might be some materials which are best hosted at this (not
yet in existence) Wikiproject, I am afraid it has a lot of potential to
attract conspiracy theorists and all king of adepts of marginal views,
so that I am not sure such project should be created (or at least not
under the umbrella of WMF).

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

CasteloBranco
+1 Ting Chen

Original research in a wiki way = Wikiversity
Original report (for recent events) and interviews = Wikinews

Regards,

Michel Castelo Branco

> Hello Sucheta,
>
> for me this looks like a good restart for Wikiversity. For me beside of
> providing university courses one of the target of Wikiversity is also
> always to be actually do crowd sourced research works.
>
> Best regards
> Ting
>

> Am 01/05/2015 um 02:30 PM schrieb Sucheta Ghoshal:
>
>  Hi all,
>>
>> A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
>> counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
>> working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge
>> repository
>> of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to make
>> available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
>> contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be involved
>> - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is
>> some
>> Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
>> enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
>> appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this particular
>> domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
>> about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either, but
>> assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to host
>> it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very much.
>> But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as
>> much
>> inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it could
>> be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
>> would be deeply appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

JP Béland
Wikibooks.

> +1 Ting Chen
>
> Original research in a wiki way = Wikiversity
> Original report (for recent events) and interviews = Wikinews
>
> Regards,
>
> Michel Castelo Branco

> > Hello Sucheta,
> >
> > for me this looks like a good restart for Wikiversity. For me beside of
> > providing university courses one of the target of Wikiversity is also
> > always to be actually do crowd sourced research works.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Ting
> >

> > Am 01/05/2015 um 02:30 PM schrieb Sucheta Ghoshal:
> >
> >  Hi all,
> >>
> >> A few of my friends and I have been planning to document the history of
> >> counterculture in Bengali art and literature. These friends are also
> >> working in that domain professionally, and have access to a huge
> >> repository
> >> of texts, images, and other relevant details that they are willing to
> make
> >> available digitally in the form of free contents. We wish to have the
> >> contents as wikis, and, pictures and video snippets that might be
> involved
> >> - as properly licensed free materials. Now, the concern is if there is
> >> some
> >> Wikimedia Project that would host contents that are based on such an
> >> enormous amount of original research. Wikipedia is certainly not the
> >> appropriate place. And, as there exist no earlier works on this
> particular
> >> domain on the internet, references would be negligible. I was thinking
> >> about Wikibooks, instead. I am not entirely sure if that fits either,
> but
> >> assume it fits better than Wikipedia, at least. The last option is to
> host
> >> it ourselves with the MediaWiki setup, and I am considering it very
> much.
> >> But, the idea essentially is to make people edit and enrich it with as
> >> much
> >> inputs as possible. It would be really helpful, in that case, if it
> could
> >> be placed in one of the Wikimedia projects. Suggestions, of every kind,
> >> would be deeply appreciated.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Sucheta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

CasteloBranco
"Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and
manuals.
(...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary research."

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks

Michel Castelo Branco

> Wikibooks.

> > +1 Ting Chen
> >
> > Original research in a wiki way = Wikiversity
> > Original report (for recent events) and interviews = Wikinews
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Michel Castelo Branco

> > > Hello Sucheta,
> > >
> > > for me this looks like a good restart for Wikiversity. For me beside of
> > > providing university courses one of the target of Wikiversity is also
> > > always to be actually do crowd sourced research works.
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > > Ting
> > >

> > > Am 01/05/2015 um 02:30 PM schrieb Sucheta Ghoshal:
> > >
> > >  Hi all,

> of
> > make
> > involved
> > particular
> > but
> > host
> > much.
> > could
> kind,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

JP Béland
Depends how you write the original research, it can easily be considered a
textbook.

> "Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and
> manuals.
> (...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary research."
>
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks
>
> Michel Castelo Branco

> > Wikibooks.

> >:
> >
> > > +1 Ting Chen
> > >
> > > Original research in a wiki way = Wikiversity
> > > Original report (for recent events) and interviews = Wikinews
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Michel Castelo Branco

> of

> > of
> > > make
> the
> > > involved
> is
> > > particular
> thinking
> either,
> > > but
> > > host
> > > much.
> as
> > > could
> > kind,

> > ,
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Castelo Branco, 09/01/2015 14:17:
> "Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and
> manuals.
> (...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary research."
>
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks

That's only one language.

Nemo