[Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

[Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Nataliia Tymkiv
Dear all,

I wanted to inform you that starting today James Heilman joins the Board
Governance Committee (BGC) as a volunteer and advisory member [1]. That
means that he will be working with the BGC as a non-voting member, together
with Ira B. Matetsky, Gayle Karen Young, Tim Moritz Hector, Ido Ivry and
Kat Walsh [2].

The BGC believes that in case James is approved by the Board as a Board
member [3] it would also be a good onboarding opportunity for him.

=== James Heilman ===
James Heilman is “an active contributor to WikiProject Medicine, is a
volunteer Wikipedia administrator, was the president of Wikimedia Canada
between 2010 and 2013, and founded and was formerly the president of Wiki
Project Med Foundation. He is also the founder of WikiProject Medicine's
Medicine Translation Task Force. In June 2015, he was elected to the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, a position which he held until he
was removed on December 28, 2015” [4]. He is among top three candidates for
the community selected seats selected by the community to be recommended to
the Board for approval, according to the results from the 2017 Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees selection process [5].

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
Board_Governance_Committee_Charter#Volunteer_and_Advisory_Members
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
Board_Governance_Committee#Composition_2016-2017

[3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_III_-_MEMBERSHIP

[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Heilman

[5] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-elections-2017/

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Tito Dutta
That's great. All the best James.

On 15 June 2017 at 17:55, Nataliia Tymkiv <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I wanted to inform you that starting today James Heilman joins the Board
> Governance Committee (BGC) as a volunteer and advisory member [1]. That
> means that he will be working with the BGC as a non-voting member, together
> with Ira B. Matetsky, Gayle Karen Young, Tim Moritz Hector, Ido Ivry and
> Kat Walsh [2].
>

> The BGC believes that in case James is approved by the Board as a Board
> member [3] it would also be a good onboarding opportunity for him.
>

> === James Heilman ===
> James Heilman is “an active contributor to WikiProject Medicine, is a
> volunteer Wikipedia administrator, was the president of Wikimedia Canada
> between 2010 and 2013, and founded and was formerly the president of Wiki
> Project Med Foundation. He is also the founder of WikiProject Medicine's
> Medicine Translation Task Force. In June 2015, he was elected to the
> Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, a position which he held until he
> was removed on December 28, 2015” [4]. He is among top three candidates for
> the community selected seats selected by the community to be recommended to
> the Board for approval, according to the results from the 2017 Wikimedia
> Foundation Board of Trustees selection process [5].
>

> If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me.
>

> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> Board_Governance_Committee_Charter#Volunteer_and_Advisory_Members
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> Board_Governance_Committee#Composition_2016-2017
>
> [3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_III_-_MEMBERSHIP
>
> [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Heilman
>
> [5] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-
> elections-2017/
>
> Best regards,
> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
>
> *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
> hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
> advance!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

jmh649
Thanks :-) Looking forwards to working with everyone.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's great. All the best James.
>
> On 15 June 2017 at 17:55, Nataliia Tymkiv <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >

> > I wanted to inform you that starting today James Heilman joins the Board
> > Governance Committee (BGC) as a volunteer and advisory member [1]. That
> > means that he will be working with the BGC as a non-voting member,
> together
> > with Ira B. Matetsky, Gayle Karen Young, Tim Moritz Hector, Ido Ivry and
> > Kat Walsh [2].
> >

> > The BGC believes that in case James is approved by the Board as a Board
> > member [3] it would also be a good onboarding opportunity for him.
> >

> > === James Heilman ===
> > James Heilman is “an active contributor to WikiProject Medicine, is a
> > volunteer Wikipedia administrator, was the president of Wikimedia Canada
> > between 2010 and 2013, and founded and was formerly the president of Wiki
> > Project Med Foundation. He is also the founder of WikiProject Medicine's
> > Medicine Translation Task Force. In June 2015, he was elected to the
> > Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, a position which he held until he
> > was removed on December 28, 2015” [4]. He is among top three candidates
> for
> > the community selected seats selected by the community to be recommended
> > the Board for approval, according to the results from the 2017 Wikimedia
> > Foundation Board of Trustees selection process [5].
> >

> > If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me.
> >

> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > Board_Governance_Committee_Charter#Volunteer_and_Advisory_Members
> > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > Board_Governance_Committee#Composition_2016-2017
> >
> > [3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_III_-_MEMBERSHIP
> >
> > [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Heilman
> >
> > [5] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-
> > elections-2017/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
> >
> > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> working
> > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
> > advance!*

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Pine W
Thank you, Nataliia and James.

This appointment continues a trend of decisions and steps from the BGC
since Nataliia took the committee chair role that I think are good.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Anna Stillwell
Thank you so much, James. I'm so glad you are here.
/a

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Nataliia and James.
>
> This appointment continues a trend of decisions and steps from the BGC
> since Nataliia took the committee chair role that I think are good.
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Rogol Domedonfors
James

Do you have a position or preliminary views you would like to share with
the community about Board Governance?  Is there anything specific you will
be seeking to look into, or change, or start, or stop.  Are there areas for
improvement or is everything fine?  In particular, do you think that
Board-Community relations need any attention from the Governance Committee?

"Rogol"

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:58 AM, Anna Stillwell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you so much, James. I'm so glad you are here.
> /a
>
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you, Nataliia and James.
> >
> > This appointment continues a trend of decisions and steps from the BGC
> > since Nataliia took the committee chair role that I think are good.
> >
> > Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Jean-Philippe Béland
James,

That's great! Thank you very much for your involvement.

Jean-Philippe Béland
Vice President, Wikimedia Canada
Lead Organizer, Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in Canada
User:Amqui

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:41 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> James
>
> Do you have a position or preliminary views you would like to share with
> the community about Board Governance?  Is there anything specific you will
> be seeking to look into, or change, or start, or stop.  Are there areas for
> improvement or is everything fine?  In particular, do you think that
> Board-Community relations need any attention from the Governance Committee?
>
> "Rogol"
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:58 AM, Anna Stillwell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you so much, James. I'm so glad you are here.
> > /a
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you, Nataliia and James.
> > >
> > > This appointment continues a trend of decisions and steps from the BGC
> > > since Nataliia took the committee chair role that I think are good.
> > >
> > > Pine

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec)  H2L 2P3,[hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Biyanto Rebin
Congratulations, James!

Le 15 juin 2017 20:21, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Thanks :-) Looking forwards to working with everyone.

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That's great. All the best James.
> >
> > On 15 June 2017 at 17:55, Nataliia Tymkiv <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >

> > > I wanted to inform you that starting today James Heilman joins the
> Board
> > > Governance Committee (BGC) as a volunteer and advisory member [1]. That
> > > means that he will be working with the BGC as a non-voting member,
> > together
> > > with Ira B. Matetsky, Gayle Karen Young, Tim Moritz Hector, Ido Ivry
> and
> > > Kat Walsh [2].
> > >

> > > The BGC believes that in case James is approved by the Board as a Board
> > > member [3] it would also be a good onboarding opportunity for him.
> > >

> > > === James Heilman ===
> > > James Heilman is “an active contributor to WikiProject Medicine, is a
> > > volunteer Wikipedia administrator, was the president of Wikimedia
> Canada
> > > between 2010 and 2013, and founded and was formerly the president of
> Wiki
> > > Project Med Foundation. He is also the founder of WikiProject
> Medicine's
> > > Medicine Translation Task Force. In June 2015, he was elected to the
> > > Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, a position which he held until
> he
> > > was removed on December 28, 2015” [4]. He is among top three candidates
> > for
> > > the community selected seats selected by the community to be
> recommended
> > > the Board for approval, according to the results from the 2017
> Wikimedia
> > > Foundation Board of Trustees selection process [5].
> > >

> > > If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me.
> > >

> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > > Board_Governance_Committee_Charter#Volunteer_and_Advisory_Members
> > > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > > Board_Governance_Committee#Composition_2016-2017
> > >
> > > [3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_III_-_
> MEMBERSHIP
> > >
> > > [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Heilman
> > >
> > > [5] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-
> > > elections-2017/
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
> > >
> > > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> > working
> > > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend.
> You
> > > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you
> in
> > > advance!*

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

MZMcBride-2
Nataliia Tymkiv wrote:
>The BGC believes that in case James is approved by the Board as a Board
>member [3] it would also be a good onboarding opportunity for him.
>
>[...]
>
>[3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_III_-_MEMBERSHIP

In case? Is there doubt regarding his upcoming appointment?

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Results

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] James Heilman joins the Board Governance Committee as a volunteer and advisory member

Rogol Domedonfors
Of course there is a doubt.  The Community runs a process which for
presentational purposes is called an election, but only to put forward
potential new Borard members.  The appointment is entirely in the hands of
the Board.  They can accept or reject the names put forward by the
Community, or select someone else from that list, or soeone else entirely.
Given that the Board chose to remove James prevously, for reasons that have
never been made clear to the Community, it is within the bounds of
possibility that they might decline to appoint him again.  I do not think
that would be wise, or very popular wth the Community, but it is for the
Board, and the Board alone, to decide.

"Rogol"